infamous 2nd Son to require 24 GB install.

• 60 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by inb4uall (6281 posts) -

I can hardly wait. Makes that 13gb patch on dead rising looking like a joke.

The only thing more pathetic is that's 3/4 of the Wii U deluxe's memory space.

#ThankyoubasedMicrosoft

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/02/19/infamous-second-son-requires-24gb-install

#2 Posted by I_can_haz (6511 posts) -

Pretty standards stuff. I think that's around the average for most games on PS4. I installed the FF14 beta last night and it was somewhere around that.

#3 Edited by GTSaiyanjin2 (6017 posts) -

we install all games on the PS4 and xbox 1.... how is this news? I know my Killzone game is 41GB I think, and I hardly even noticed it, since I didnt have to wait more than a minute before I could play the game. On the X1 it was a completely different story, as FIFA a 9GB game took 15-20 minutes, for a full install.

#4 Edited by charizard1605 (60716 posts) -

Console gaming, ladies and gentlemen.

#5 Posted by jake44 (2042 posts) -

I thought there was already a thread on this? Anyway, it seems I'll have to buy a bigger HDD in the future.

#6 Edited by lundy86_4 (44118 posts) -

I'm not that worried about space. 500GB is reasonable, and a cheap upgrade will do wonders.

#7 Posted by inb4uall (6281 posts) -

@jake44 said:

I thought there was already a thread on this? Anyway, it seems I'll have to buy a bigger HDD in the future.

I used the search bar and nothing came up. I blame gamespot.

#8 Posted by kinectthedots (2649 posts) -

in other news, you are required to have an internet connection in order to play games online.

#9 Edited by ButDuuude (563 posts) -

Uncharted 3 for the PS3 is 87GB. http://n4g.com/news/1182470/uncharted-3-digital-download-requires-87gb-of-hdd-download-size-revealed#c-7315926

#10 Posted by charizard1605 (60716 posts) -

@kinectthedots said:

in other news, you are required to have an internet connection in order to play games online.

It's so sad that people have actually been conditioned to accept installs for console games.

Console gaming is supposed to be about standardized hardware and software, and about plug and play gameplay. Right now, consoles have been reduced to shitty PCs with none of the benefits.

Fucking meh. And you all are to blame, you just roll over and accept this shit.

#11 Edited by jake44 (2042 posts) -

@inb4uall said:

@jake44 said:

I used the search bar and nothing came up. I blame gamespot.

I could be mistaken.

#12 Edited by blackace (21311 posts) -

Meh, don't care about storage size. This is why I installed a 1.5TB Sata 5400 drive into my PS4 before I started installing my games. I've got plenty of room for Infamous SS and a lot more games. Bring them.

#13 Posted by lamprey263 (25213 posts) -

I don't think it's the install size that's bad, games install quicker off of discs, the problem with large patches though is they take forever to download.

I don't have a PS4, but I'd hope the memory management is better than the PS3's, to clear off these patches when future space is needed.

#14 Edited by lostrib (41844 posts) -

Doesn't the PS4 let you install while you play?

#15 Posted by inb4uall (6281 posts) -

@ButDuuude said:

Uncharted 3 for the PS3 is 87GB. http://n4g.com/news/1182470/uncharted-3-digital-download-requires-87gb-of-hdd-download-size-revealed#c-7315926

That's digital? This is for a on disk game....

#16 Posted by darkangel115 (2155 posts) -

why is this news? most next gen games will be 25-50GB installs

#17 Posted by Dire_Weasel (16109 posts) -

@inb4uall said:

I can hardly wait. Makes that 13gb patch on dead rising looking like a joke.

The only thing more pathetic is that's 3/4 of the Wii U deluxe's memory space.

#ThankyoubasedMicrosoft

http://www.ign.com/articles/2014/02/19/infamous-second-son-requires-24gb-install

It will probably be up and playing on the Playstation 4 within sixty seconds of popping the disc in. I'm not really sure how they manage it, but Sony absolutely nailed disc installs.

#18 Posted by inb4uall (6281 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@kinectthedots said:

It's so sad that people have actually been conditioned to accept installs for console games.

Console gaming is supposed to be about standardized hardware and software, and about plug and play gameplay. Right now, consoles have been reduced to shitty PCs with none of the benefits.

Looks like the Wii U is the only REAL plug and play console left. #NINTENDOMINATION

#19 Edited by Ghost120x (4136 posts) -

Already upgraded my 500GB to a 1TB last week. Now I just need to switch the 250GB that is in my ps3 slim to the 500GB that was in my ps4, but I don't feel like doing it though. It was easy with the ps4 because not much was saved on it, but the ps3...

#20 Posted by Ballroompirate (23652 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@kinectthedots said:

Hope you know games are getting bigger than the required space on discs now, that's why you're seeing more and more games having to use a install before you play it.

#21 Posted by charizard1605 (60716 posts) -

@Ballroompirate said:

@charizard1605 said:

@kinectthedots said:

Hope you know games are getting bigger than the required space on discs now, that's why you're seeing more and more games having to use a install before you play it.

I do know that.

Another thing I know is that there are discs as big as 500GB that require just a minor modification of the Blue Ray drive (meaning they are not even expensive to push). I also know that solid state memory (i.e. cards, or 'cartridges') could be used, as their storage space is variable, and more than enough to handle a game no matter how big it might be for the foreseeable future.

Both of those are highly preferred to fucking game installs on my fucking console.

#22 Posted by Pikminmaniac (9330 posts) -

If this keeps up 500 gigs won't be enough at all. It's like the beginning of last gen all over again. I wonder what the standard model will become in terms of storage later down the line.

#23 Edited by bobbetybob (19297 posts) -
@charizard1605 said:

@kinectthedots said:

Even though I agree on them being shitty PC's in most areas the installs really aren't an issue on PS4 since they let you play so quickly. They also do this for a reason, it's not like they're doing it for fun, hard drives are quicker than disk drives, it's as simple as that, I'd gladly install a game like ZombiU so I could avoid the ridiculous load times, but alas, it's not possible.

#24 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (15973 posts) -

I already install everything as a pc gamer, so I really have no issue with this.

#25 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38219 posts) -

Welcome to next gen gaming. You guys want all your fancy visuals and nice cutscenes you're gonna have to pay a price and that price is install sizes

#26 Posted by freedomfreak (42802 posts) -

@bobbetybob said:

Even though I agree on them being shitty PC's in most areas the installs really aren't an issue on PS4 since they let you play so quickly. They also do this for a reason, it's not like they're doing it for fun, hard drives are quicker than disk drives, it's as simple as that, I'd gladly install a game like ZombiU so I could avoid the ridiculous load times, but alas, it's not possible.

Ugh.. How I wish I could install games on the WiiU. The load times are God awful. I actually stopped playing Lego City for this reason.

I'd rather install a game on my hard drive than having to sit through long-ass loading times.
And like you said, the Ps4's install time is lightning fast. You hardly even notice it. This is a non-issue.

#27 Edited by Solid_Max13 (3548 posts) -

@lundy86_4 said:

I'm not that worried about space. 500GB is reasonable, and a cheap upgrade will do wonders.

What is the maximum install for HDD's on PS4? Like what if I got a 2TB HDD?

#28 Posted by seanmcloughlin (38219 posts) -

@freedomfreak said:

Ugh.. How I wish I could install games on the WiiU. The load times are God awful. I actually stopped playing Lego City for this reason.

I'd rather install a game on my hard drive than having to sit through long-ass loading times.

And like you said, the Ps4's install time is lightning fast. You hardly even notice it. This is a non-issue.

Word. Installing games takes up a lot of space but the rewards with load times are worth it. I'm already noticing PC like load times on my PS4 because of installs

#29 Posted by lundy86_4 (44118 posts) -

@Solid_Max13 said:

@lundy86_4 said:

What is the maximum install for HDD's on PS4? Like what if I got a 2TB HDD?

Only 7mm and 9mm 2.5 inch HDD's can be installed. I think the highest is 2TB's ATM.

#30 Posted by Ballroompirate (23652 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@Ballroompirate said:

@charizard1605 said:

@kinectthedots said:

I do know that.

Another thing I know is that there are discs as big as 500GB that require just a minor modification of the Blue Ray drive (meaning they are not even expensive to push). I also know that solid state memory (i.e. cards, or 'cartridges') could be used, as their storage space is variable, and more than enough to handle a game no matter how big it might be for the foreseeable future.

Both of those are highly preferred to fucking game installs on my fucking console.

Quad Blue Ray discs only store 128 gigs if I'm not mistaken, and 500gb discs are a good $60 (which would mean waaaaay more expensive games).

#31 Posted by kinectthedots (2649 posts) -

@lostrib said:

I think after about 20% yes it does

#32 Edited by sirk1264 (5627 posts) -

@inb4uall: the only thing different here is you can install games from the disc which games install fast on the ps4 versus downloading a massive patch that will take forever. Makes me happy that I just upgraded my ps4 hdd to 1TB this past weekend. So easy to replace the hdd too.

#33 Posted by Ballroompirate (23652 posts) -

@Pikminmaniac said:

If this keeps up 500 gigs won't be enough at all. It's like the beginning of last gen all over again. I wonder what the standard model will become in terms of storage later down the line.

Probably 1TB minimum

#34 Posted by silversix_ (15773 posts) -

Is this supposed to be a bad or good news? cuz to me it sounds like an average size

#35 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (7814 posts) -

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

I already install everything as a pc gamer, so I really have no issue with this.

You aren't required to purchase a pre-installed 500 GB hard drive that you are going to have to replace if you want more than 10-15 games when you build your PC, though.

#36 Posted by Mr-Kutaragi (2458 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@kinectthedots said:

Initial install is so fast and it install while you play, so this is not issue. Practically is plug and play. I can delete game data and install again in future much faster than other system also.

#37 Edited by Articuno76 (19009 posts) -

@charizard1605: Standardisation to run all games of a HDD (rather than a slower disc drive) is hardly a loss. And given that it hardly takes more than a single minute to install these games you'd be hard pressed to be inconvenienced.

Sure, with the current system and a 500GB limit you might only have 10-15 games on a system at any one time. But TBH that is more than most people have on their active rota anyway. I can't imagine many people juggling more than 6 games on a regular basis, let alone 10.

And again, if you did need to uninstall one, we are talking about a matter of seconds to reinstall.

I'm not seeing the tragedy here...well, unless a user is very heavily leaning towards digital. In that case reinstalling a game would mean downloading it again. But even then with the play-as-it-downloads feature you are still talking about maybe 15-20 minutes or less depending on your connection (IIRC).

#38 Posted by kinectthedots (2649 posts) -

also if you expect other large open world/sand box games like MGSV Phantom Pain or The Witcher 3 to be any different you are kidding yourself.

#39 Posted by yokofox33 (30258 posts) -

Yikes. That's a lot.

#40 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (15973 posts) -

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

You aren't required to purchase a pre-installed 500 GB hard drive that you are going to have to replace if you want more than 10-15 games when you build your PC, though.

Just uninstall the games you aren't using? Even with a 1tb HDD this prospect isn't foreign to me.

500gb is still fairly generous compared to the competition, especially the WiiU. The option to upgrade is always there but I think the fact the system comes with a 500gb HDD should hardly be looked at as a negative.

#41 Edited by jun_aka_pekto (17211 posts) -

24gb? Pfffft.

Here:

Heck. My X-Plane 9 requires 78gb of total space if I want the whole world (and what self-respecting flight simmer wouldn't?).

The part that is hard to digest is I often wonder what took up the 60gb visually.

#42 Posted by topgunmv (10328 posts) -

And?

That's 14 gigs smaller than killzone shadowfall.

#43 Posted by ominous_titan (794 posts) -

Meh who cares,infamous us going to flop out with a 6

#44 Posted by AppleFan1991 (3215 posts) -

Freakin' crazy considering that I used to save all my game data on an 8mb memory card on my PS2 :)

#45 Posted by Kaze_no_Mirai (11595 posts) -

@kinectthedots said:

@lostrib said:

I think after about 20% yes it does

Even if it didn't (I've never tried it), the installs are very very fast, so its not really an issue.

#46 Edited by PrincessGomez92 (3764 posts) -

Forced installs...ugh. I like having the option.

#47 Edited by mbrockway (3538 posts) -

@inb4uall: Pretty sure AC4 is taking up 31gb of space on my PS4. I'm a little disappointed that SS is not bigger than that. Maybe game sizes will start coming down again now that they don't need to use pre-rendered scenes anymore. Its a shame Playstation fans can't just pop in a brand new generic 2.5" hard drive from anywhere to increase their storage space, and that they have to wait through lengthy non-streaming hard drive installs without the ability to start playing the game within a minute. /sarc

#48 Posted by Kevlar101 (6250 posts) -

Does anybody here even realize that if the average amount of storage required for a game on the PS4 and Xbox One is about 40 GBs, then that means that a single console could only store 12.5 games?

#49 Posted by foxhound_fox (90500 posts) -

I thought the point of a hardware upgrade was to avoid the shortcomings of the previous generation?

#50 Edited by clyde46 (47402 posts) -

There was an install for KZ? I didn't even notice!