Increased dev costs created a paradox

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

This paradox might be tough to swallow for some elitists but PCs and consoles NEED each other to thrive. Thanks to increased demand for hard-core mechanics, all games previously deemed PC-centric find their way to all consoles. In the past it used to be just Xbox with strategies or sim-lite games shared with PC, now it's everywhere and there are more genres involved.

Do you think these two need each other in order to let the market thrive?

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

I think you're absolutely right on this. Still, it's nice to know there are developers out there who really want to push the boundaries for games like Star Citizen.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#3 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

Personally it was never about the genre diversity or exclusive content, just the superior visual fidelity and more flexibility, customization stuff, etc. Either way, I'm no elitist, there isn't much that will convince you to turn hermit if you've always preferred consoles. it's just down to preference.

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

Only a fool would honestly believe the gaming industry, as whole, doesn't need both consoles and PC. They are there to supply a demand, console has its audience as does the PC.

No one should take System Wars seriously, ever.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

Honestly, a game with a huge budget that ends up being worth playing is very rare these days, anyway. I do think that people who make those games need as many avenues to reach consumers as possible, but I no longer care about the health of the industry overall. As long as there are electronic devices, there will be people who make games to be played on them, and there will always be some gems worth playing. Gaming would be far more niche, but I think the overall quality would be better, if the AAA model would just die.

AnthonyAutumns

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#6 AnthonyAutumns
Member since 2014 • 1704 Posts

@GarGx1 said:

Only a fool would honestly believe the gaming industry, as whole, doesn't need both consoles and PC. They are there to supply a demand, console has its audience as does the PC.

This.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ebea105efb64
deactivated-5ebea105efb64

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#7  Edited By deactivated-5ebea105efb64
Member since 2013 • 7262 Posts

@GarGx1 said:

Sigh, I've met with some of those people in real life. Never again.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

@PurpleMan5000 said:

Honestly, a game with a huge budget that ends up being worth playing is very rare these days, anyway. I do think that people who make those games need as many avenues to reach consumers as possible, but I no longer care about the health of the industry overall. As long as there are electronic devices, there will be people who make games to be played on them, and there will always be some gems worth playing. Gaming would be far more niche, but I think the overall quality would be better, if the AAA model would just die.

You are in the tiny, tiny minority though. Most gamers prefer AAA games like GTAV over random indie stuff.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Consoles play a very important role in keeping the gaming audience large and diverse. Denying that is just ignorant. Without consoles gaming would be a fraction of its size it is today.

Gaming is larger, more diverse, and higher quality than it ever would have been if it was still a niche thing people did on their computers.

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#10 Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

@Gamerno6666 said:
@GarGx1 said:

Sigh, I've met with some of those people in real life. Never again.

And that is one of the reasons why I hate going to Gamestop.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5555 Posts

Agreed....

And with the cost of Triple A development... we will get a lot more of these "indie" like titles to fill the longer and longer gaps between the Triple A releases. And these Triple A releases will need as much traffic as possible and will/should be available across all platforms.

Prawephet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#13 Prawephet
Member since 2014 • 385 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries: Increased dev costs created DLC. Either consoles or PC could do without each other as long as DLC remains successful. Without DLC game prices would have went up a lot. Pick your poison.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

@prawephet: DLC has been around forever. It used to be called expansions or games would get yearly sequels. DLC just allows devs to get content to people quicker and without the overhead.

Expansions only existed because you couldn't just push 500 mbs of patches to people with new content. The only way to pack content before broadband internet was popular was to treat it like a retail release. This meant your overhead was going to be far larger, so to be profitable you had to charge more for it, and the only way to get away with charging more was to make more content so people would actually buy it.

DLC is superior in a lot of ways. Of course it's going through some growing pains, but it's generally a better way to distribute content post-release. Cheap $10-20 DLC content released by a smaller team in the months following the launch of the game does a good job of expanding the game and keeping us entertained until the sequel or next title from the studio is released. It makes the studio more money and gives us more focused content more quickly after launch.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 PurpleMan5000

@locopatho said:
@PurpleMan5000 said:

You are in the tiny, tiny minority though. Most gamers prefer AAA games like GTAV over random indie stuff.

I agree, but isn't that where we are heading, anyway? The only AAA publishers that don't make consoles and aren't in danger of going bankrupt any time soon are EA, Ubisoft, Activision, and Rockstar. We rarely get new IPs from any of them, and they all (except for Rockstar) have at least 1 franchise that gets released every year. Rockstar goes years between any releases at all. Nobody is willing to risk a huge budget on a new IP, and games with a more reasonable budget are very unlikely to meet sales goals. On the rare occasion that one of them does have a new IP, like Watch Dogs, it just ends up being similar to other games already on the market. At some point, won't gamers get tired of these same tired franchises, and publishers decide that the risk of creating new ones is just too great?

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 locopatho

@PurpleMan5000 said:

I agree, but isn't that where we are heading, anyway? The only AAA publishers that don't make consoles and aren't in danger of going bankrupt any time soon are EA, Ubisoft, Activision, and Rockstar. We rarely get new IPs from any of them, and they all (except for Rockstar) have at least 1 franchise that gets released every year. Rockstar goes years between any releases at all. Nobody is willing to risk a huge budget on a new IP, and games with a more reasonable budget are very unlikely to meet sales goals. On the rare occasion that one of them does have a new IP, like Watch Dogs, it just ends up being similar to other games already on the market. At some point, won't gamers get tired of these same tired franchises, and publishers decide that the risk of creating new ones is just too great?

There are fairly regular AAA new IPs though, and more publishers than you mention. I get that you're bored but most gamers aren't (judging by reviews and sales)

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries said:

This paradox might be tough to swallow for some elitists but PCs and consoles NEED each other to thrive. Thanks to increased demand for hard-core mechanics, all games previously deemed PC-centric find their way to all consoles. In the past it used to be just Xbox with strategies or sim-lite games shared with PC, now it's everywhere and there are more genres involved.

Do you think these two need each other in order to let the market thrive?

.. No.. They went multiplat because they have a greater possibility of increases profits, not because they need to.. Games like Divinity is a no brainer simply because it is a turn based game, meaning that a player can take all the time in the world to do what they need to do, a more obtuse controller will not change that.. Some genres and games do not work period on console in their current state due to controller restrictions with out major changes to the game..

Avatar image for deactivated-59d151f079814
deactivated-59d151f079814

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By deactivated-59d151f079814
Member since 2003 • 47239 Posts

@locopatho said:
@PurpleMan5000 said:

... Immensely popular games like Minecraft prove you wrong. League of Legends is another massively popular game that started extremely small by a once small developer as well..

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 PurpleMan5000

@locopatho said:
@PurpleMan5000 said:

There are fairly regular AAA new IPs though, and more publishers than you mention. I get that you're bored but most gamers aren't (judging by reviews and sales)

Are there? Looking at the upcoming AAA games slated for release on the PS4 this year, I see The Witcher 3, Arkham Knight, Metal Gear Solid 5, Rainbow 6 Siege, Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty, and Star Wars Battlefront. None of those games are new IPs.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 locopatho

@PurpleMan5000 said:

Are there? Looking at the upcoming AAA games slated for release on the PS4 this year, I see The Witcher 3, Arkham Knight, Metal Gear Solid 5, Rainbow 6 Siege, Assassin's Creed, Call of Duty, and Star Wars Battlefront. None of those games are new IPs.

Sequels are more common for sure but new IPs are there too. Bloodbourne, Destiny, Shadow Of Mordor, Alien Isolation (maybe not a new IP but utterly different to any previous Alien game), The Evil Within, Watchdogs are the ones I'm aware of so far on PS4. The PS4 being out a year and a half, there's a pretty major new IP every few months which ain't bad.

You might say that Watchdogs is too similar to AC/Far Cry, or Bloodbourne is just a renamed Souls game. Well, the other side of that coin is that there is innovation happening in sequels too. I expect Arkham Knight to be more exciting and innovative as a sequel than most new IPs, for instance.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 locopatho

@sSubZerOo said:

... Immensely popular games like Minecraft prove you wrong. League of Legends is another massively popular game that started extremely small by a once small developer as well..

Minecraft is a smash hit and gone into "cultural phenomenon" status like Pac Man, but it's only a lone exception to the rule.

LoL is massive for sure, I would have thought of that as a AAA title though? Maybe I'm wrong on that one. It's also free to play so I'm not sure how comparable it is to games that cost 60 or 70 euros.

If you look at the best selling games on any system, they are always blockbusters.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By PurpleMan5000

@locopatho: Good point. I wouldn't say Bloodborne is a AAA game, though, and it does borrow as heavily from the Souls IP as a sequel typically would. I guess the biggest disappointment is how often new AAA IPs are flops, either commercially or critically. It just doesn't seem sustainable to me. I just wish there were more publishers that would crank out medium-budget games like Nintendo does, only with more new IPs, ideally. It would be a lot easier to get excited about consoles if that were happening.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 locopatho

@PurpleMan5000: Funny, I'm the complete opposite, I chafe at how safe Nintendo plays it in most franchises. I'd love more blockbusters from them. LIke the Xenoblade, Zelda, and Metroid Prime series, and the Galaxy games.

Anyway, it's all moot, the market will support what it wants, we'll just wait and see :P

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17807 Posts

with current budgets for AAA games it would certainly be foolish to release it just on one platform. the more the merrier (as long as it doesnt cost a fortune to port...one of the reasons the wiiu is generally out of the running for AAA multiplats). the only exception is if someone is willing to foot the bill for an exclusive deal (like tomb raider).

i do worry though that even the PS4, X1 and PC combined are still not enough to sustain this level of development. the prevelance of season passes and such like seem to be an act of desperation to try and recoup the cost as quickly as possible since the risk is so great. im not against DLC/expansions or anything but i have never seen them being pushed so hard.

to make this level of cost more bearable we need more people playing games.

Ribstaylor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#25  Edited By Ribstaylor1
Member since 2014 • 2186 Posts

"Thanks to increased demand for hard-core mechanics, all games previously deemed PC-centric find their way to all consoles"

Umm no they don't. Whole genres don't exist on console. Pc provides; 99.9% of the RTS market, 99.9% of the mobo market 99% of the MMO market, 100% of the simulator types and space sims, and almost the entire of the FPS high competitive games and I'm missing whole swaths of it's genre's consoles just don't or can't play. So many games I couldn't even rap my head around how the hell you'd play them on a normal controller, or even have the abilities in box to do the things necessary to run the systems right (Eve is a prime example).