In console standards, was Crysis 2 underrated

• 64 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

A bit underrated to be precise? And CONSOLE standards, mind you. Because I know herms are still mad at Crytek for ditching huge open spaces from the first one. However, I still think that for a console game the technology powering it was pretty much groundbreaking, and the game still offered more sense of freedom than pretty much any other typical FPS on consoles. So, in retrospect, would you say that Crysis 2 was a bit underrated upon the release? As far as I'm concerned, my number one complain is the occasional tendency of AI to get braindead, what about you?

adders99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 adders99
Member since 2005 • 2623 Posts

I thought the game looked really nice... but I didnt really rate the gameplay very highly.

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 I_can_haz
Member since 2013 • 6511 Posts

The only good thing it had going for it were the graphics to be honest. The MP was a borefest with loads of camping and the campaign was really boring for the first half of the game. I had way more fun with Crysis Warhead to be honest.

BeardMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By BeardMaster
Member since 2012 • 1686 Posts

never finished it.

and if i remember correctly, if you were shooting from far enough away the AI would literally just stand still while you unloaded on em.

I didnt much care for the game, but then again I enjoy call of duty campaigns, so by internet standards my opinion is meaningless.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

the game was very uneven, the first half is kiinda boring, then the middle is good and then the ending is bad. Pretty but mediocre game.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Game had weak gameplay and was inferior to its predecessors(Crysis and Warhead). Not underrated at all. Game sucked.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

Personally, I thought it was incredibly overrated at the time, but that died down big time once people had time to go and play it.

I had a very, very hard time finishing this game...and I played it back when it was new. It was NOT hard (although I played on hard), it was just boring. I play games for entertainment and the game failed me in that respect. After this game, I decided that I am not a fan of Crytek's design choices, they make pretty eye candy, but the actual games are very by the numbers.

I know some people like it, so I'm glad they felt they got their $60 worth.

wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#8 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts

I really enjoyed the campaign. I had a lot of fun for the short 8 hours it took me to finish. I can overlook the poor A.I. as crysis 2 campaign doesn't over welcome its stay

anybodykilla15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 anybodykilla15
Member since 2005 • 114 Posts

original far cry is underrated,

compared to the later titles and what ubi and crytek have done after,

crytek is a one hit wonder gaming wise.

they should re release an hd port of that game

BlbecekBobecek

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#11 BlbecekBobecek
Member since 2006 • 2949 Posts

It was actually overrated. There are much better FPSs on both HD twins.

GotNugz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GotNugz
Member since 2010 • 681 Posts

Yes it is the second best looking game last gen behind crysis 3 on consoles. Mind you I'm referring to the 360 version. I'm not really sure why people knock crysis for it's gameplay, I mean you have stealth, sprint, armor, different visions, slide more. What exactly are these other fps games doing that is so much better?

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Nope. Great game. Better than the its predecessor

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#14 sukraj
Member since 2008 • 27859 Posts

I haven't played any of the crysis games.

murray69murray

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15 murray69murray
Member since 2013 • 127 Posts

@SNIPER4321 said:

i used to hate it crysis 2 until i played crysis 3 and make me realise how great it make 2 was. because 3 sucked even more.

wut?

Malta_1980

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Malta_1980
Member since 2008 • 11890 Posts

I think the series is overall overrated.. however Crysis was the best out of the 3!!

jhonMalcovich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By jhonMalcovich
Member since 2010 • 7090 Posts

I don´t mind Crysis franchise anymore . Far Cry 3 is my new Crysis. All heil Far Cry.

Mr-Kutaragi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Mr-Kutaragi
Member since 2013 • 2466 Posts

No was average. I think MP was underrate maybe, it had interesting design choice and decent map but they screw it up in Crysis 3 MP and make it even more like COD. Assault mode was fun because like playing campaign except good AI lol.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Crysis 2 is a shitty game for any kind of standards, just like Crysis 3. Crytek is mediocre

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 sukraj

@jhonMalcovich said:

I don´t mind Crysis franchise anymore . Far Cry 3 is my new Crysis. All heil Far Cry.

Far Cry 3 is my fav shooter of 2012 I love that game and I'm still playing it to this very day.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 SolidTy

@sukraj said:

@jhonMalcovich said:

Far Cry 3 is my fav shooter of 2012 I love that game and I'm still playing it to this very day.

Yes, but Far Cry 3 was good and it was also developed by Ubisoft Montreal, not Crytek. Crytek did the first game, after that Ubisoft took it over...that is why FC3 is good. Crytek deserves zero credit for FC3.

sukraj

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 sukraj

@SolidTy said:

@sukraj said:

@jhonMalcovich said:

Yes, but Far Cry 3 was good and it was also developed by Ubisoft Montreal, not Crytek. Crytek did the first game, after that Ubisoft took it over...that is why FC3 is good. Crytek deserves zero credit for FC3.

Yeah crytek went down hill after they developed the original far cry

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 SolidTy

@sukraj said:

@SolidTy said:

@sukraj said:

@jhonMalcovich said:

I agree. :P

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

@SolidTy said:

@sukraj said:

@SolidTy said:

@sukraj said:

@jhonMalcovich said:

Hold it there!

Crysis and Warhead were both excellent.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#26  Edited By deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

I've played all of them and I say:

Crysis 3 > Crysis 2 > Crysis

seriously, Crysis is so overrated by hermits its not even funny. Yes, its more open but what does that matters if its empty? Its even more agravating when gamers complained about the guards that see you from miles and miles away in Far Cry 2 when Crysis does the exact same sh*t. Oh, and dont get me started on the armor mode cause its pretty much worthless on Delta difficulty. Seriously, I beat the game on the highest difficulty and I spent most of the time crawling for HUGE junks of terrain and waiting for the energy metter to fill up between breaks to use stealth mode, just to not be spotted. Seriously, both Crysis 2 and 3 were more well paced games, that threw up most of the worthless sh*t Crysis 1 had.

The only thing Crysis 1 had for it was graphics. Its just an overglorified tech demo that hermits used to brag about their specs.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By SolidTy

@MlauTheDaft said:

@SolidTy said:

@sukraj said:

@SolidTy said:

@sukraj said:

@jhonMalcovich said:

Hold it there!

Crysis and Warhead were both excellent.

I generally agreed...I thought Crysis was an excellent tech demo for my GPU at the time. I remember shooting trees and watching my FR counter...but the game itself didn't do much for me. Still, that game and expansion were better than their recent stuff imo. I'll revise my statement and say that Crytek aren't as good as they were 2007-2008 (War).

loco145

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By loco145
Member since 2006 • 12226 Posts

Better game than all Killzones.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#29 lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44542 Posts

I thought so, sure the game had the flaw that you could essential stealth your way through the entire game... but what's the fun was that? Straight up fighting was a lot of fun, use of the stealth and armor controlled great and the suit upgraded nicely through the length of the campaign. It also had a solid MP mode that was a lot of fun, I didn't think much so during the beta testing / online MP demo or whatever it was but once I got a hang of things in the game itself the MP was a blast.

I think the greatest harm done to it was from the PC gamers who spent months before and after release exhausting themselves badmouthing the game, because they weren't pandered to, because it wasn't as beautiful looks as Crysis with mods running on a beefy PC. I thought the game was a huge improvement on gameplay though, and by console standards it looked magnificent.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

@Vatusus said:

Its even more agravating when gamers complained about the guards that see you from miles and miles away in Far Cry 2 when Crysis does the exact same sh*t. Oh, and dont get me started on the armor mode cause its pretty much worthless on Delta difficulty. Seriously, I beat the game on the highest difficulty and I spent most of the time crawling for HUGE junks of terrain and waiting for the energy metter to fill up between breaks to use stealth mode, just to not be spotted.

I don't know if you played the PC version or console version of the same game. But, on the PC version (Delta), the KPA and aliens only shot at you from long range if you shot at them first. I can get relatively close to the KPA undetected without cloaking by using the abundant foliage and other cover.

As for Crysis 2, I liked it. I knew there's no way Crytek could make it as open as Crysis/Warhead because of the urban setting. I didn't care. The core gameplay was similar enough.

ZombieKiller7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ZombieKiller7
Member since 2011 • 6463 Posts

I played Crysis 2 on PC a couple weeks ago

The graphics are nice, very nice.

The gameplay itself, I didn't care for it.

It's not even about wide open spaces, it's about constantly having to stealth/recharge/stealth/recharge.

Throws off the pace and rhythm.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#32  Edited By Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

Game had weak gameplay and was inferior to its predecessors(Crysis and Warhead). Not underrated at all. Game sucked.

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#33 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

I remember I didn't have much fun playing through it, so I'd argue it isn't underrated at all.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34  Edited By Salt_The_Fries

Most of people which hated the game made knee-jerk reactions and failed to keep an open mind and assess the game's strengths based on its own merits.

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#35 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

@SNIPER4321 said:

i used to hate it crysis 2 until i played crysis 3 and make me realise how great it make 2 was. because 3 sucked even more.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

@ Salt_The_Fries

Thats just how gamers are. Whiny lil babies.

TheTruthIsREAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 TheTruthIsREAL
Member since 2013 • 813 Posts

The game wasn't underrated by console gamers. The game just sucked. Is this is what PC users brag about? This, Gears 3, and RAGE were so boring, I didn't even try to finish it.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Crysis 2>Crysis 3>Crysis

Pretty mediocre series overall though.

kraken2109

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 kraken2109
Member since 2009 • 13271 Posts

Didn't the console version run at like 20fps?

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Salt_The_Fries

After playing it properly, I have to revert my opinion, it is a frustrating glitch-fest, with extremely short campaign and very shallow tactical choices. It pretends to be a quasi-sandbox but isn't EVEN THAT. The architecture doesn't tempt you to capitalize on different options, afte some time you'll end up following the line of least resistance, figuratively speaking. Even Halo games were more open than this. Not to mention more fun.

What is more, after some time, after a tremendous spike in difficulty, open fights are no fun and it's better to run past everyone, most abilities are almost useless.

The first half of the game Aliens were a total joke btw.

The plot is extremely poorly pronounced, and the game doesn't even want to keep your attention with regards to it. The overall atmosphere is neither epic nor even gritty, it's horribly stuck somewhere in-between.

What a waste of a theme song by Hans Zimmer. Its epicness is nowhere to be matched within the game. Kinda like The Avengers trailer with the NIN song "We're in this Together" vs the actual movie.

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

@kraken2109 said:

Didn't the console version run at like 20fps?

that what console version of nearly all games averaged at.

lmao consoles

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#42 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58837 Posts

Console gamers generally speaking, don't have sophisticated shooters. Shooters and the state they are in, can be primarily attributed to the rise of the Xbox. To the mind of a young console gamer person, Crysis 2 was most likely a revelation. However to a pc gamer such as myself, older, more experienced, it comes across as something of a crushing disappointment.

In general terms, when it comes to FPS and influence, influential console front runners such as halo can be attributed to a Micheal Bay movie with a hot girl, while influential pc titles like Halflife can be compared to a Akira Kurosawa masterpiece examining human nature.

It's just better.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#43 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts

I loved Crysis 2. My favorite in the series. Such a great game for me.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Salt_The_Fries

The worst thing about Crysis 2 is that there is no incentive to anything you do in combat If there was a more sophisticated leveling up involved a'la The darkness 2, that'd make more sense.

T-razor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#45 T-razor1
Member since 2002 • 1164 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries said:

Most of people which hated the game made knee-jerk reactions and failed to keep an open mind and assess the game's strengths based on its own merits.

The game never had a chance. You had the PC crowd pissed off at Crytek for ruining the series and taking it in a different direction; then you had insecure cows bashing it because they couldn't face the truth that a multiplat game on the 360 was declared in the media as the best looking console game after so many were talking about how ps3 exclusives were untouchable in terms of visuals. As a matter of fact till this day in terms of technical and visual merits combined it was the most advanced game to come out on console from last gen.

Avatar image for Messiahbolical-
Messiahbolical-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46  Edited By Messiahbolical-
Member since 2009 • 5670 Posts

It was overrated by console gameplay standards and overrated by PC graphics standards. It's just a bad game no matter what you play it on. C3 is worse though.

Crysis 1 is the only one worth mentioning tbh. Even the graphics in C1 are still the best of the 3 imo.

TheTruthIsREAL

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By TheTruthIsREAL
Member since 2013 • 813 Posts

@uninspiredcup: Nah, I'm a console only gamer and Crysis 2 is one the most boring games I have played. Most of PC only games are boring as well, so I wasn't suprised at the suck in that game when I played it. It was originally a PC only franchise.

Avatar image for deactivated-594be627b82ba
deactivated-594be627b82ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#48 deactivated-594be627b82ba
Member since 2006 • 8405 Posts

wasn't anything special. I played crysis on ps3 after finishing crysis 2 and crysis was way more fun to play

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#49  Edited By speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14414 Posts

@millerlight89 said:

I loved Crysis 2. My favorite in the series. Such a great game for me.

This. Way better than COD and Halo.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#50 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

"in console standards"... oh god, pc idiots