In 5 years the PS4 games will be running in 720p as well

• 58 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by Xplode_games (504 posts) -

In 5 years when PCs are miles ahead of consoles, developers will have to compromise resolution to get the game to run on the PS4.

The bigger question is, what will happen to the X1 then? Launch X1 games are already running in only 720p. Imagine a demanding game from 2018?

What res will X1 games fall to?

#2 Posted by AMD655 (4495 posts) -

So 5 years for both consoles, PS4 at 1080, X1 at 720.

In 5 years, X1 will be running 480p?

#3 Posted by SolidTy (40454 posts) -

It stands to reason when the PS4 resolutions go down, so will the Xbone's...

#4 Edited by xxgunslingerxx (4045 posts) -

@AMD655 said:

So 5 years for both consoles, PS4 at 1080, X1 at 720.

In 5 years, X1 will be running 480p?

probably like this gen... i think cod is upscaled from 640p or something?

#5 Edited by PAL360 (26321 posts) -

Not necessarily. Current consoles managed to run most games at 720p, from 2005 to 2013, and they still managed to improve graphically.

I prefer to believe that 1080p is the new standard, just like 720p was last gen's.

#6 Posted by Gaming-Planet (13467 posts) -

They'll probably keep at 720p or upscale it from 6xxp to 1080p for the Xbox One. If they manage to fit the amount of details into 720p, the FPS will probably just be less consistent compared to the PS4.

#7 Edited by XboxStache (858 posts) -

lol. This thread's ridiculous.

It's far more impressive for Next gen games to run at 1080p when they're built from the ground up using the console's hardware. In the case of both BF4 and Cod Ghosts, these games are ports with a boost in resolution and better textures. But both games were intended to be run on current gen hardware.

Once multiplats are rolling for a year or possibly a few months from now, both the X1 and PS4 will have amazing results. 1080p easily.

Anyway, what about framerate?

#8 Posted by Douevenlift_bro (4969 posts) -

BF6 - 240P on XBone

LOL.

#9 Posted by danlevm (149 posts) -
#10 Posted by ronvalencia (15067 posts) -

In 5 years when PCs are miles ahead of consoles, developers will have to compromise resolution to get the game to run on the PS4.

The bigger question is, what will happen to the X1 then? Launch X1 games are already running in only 720p. Imagine a demanding game from 2018?

The devs would target 720p, 900p and 1080p resolutions, and adjust the graphic details accordingly.

#11 Edited by bezza2011 (1921 posts) -

Hahahaha funny how most games are made for consoles and ported to pc, what a ridiculous thread in 5uears your'll see alot more games running at 1080p and 60fps well at least on ps4 will see how Xbox one fairs

#12 Posted by Nengo_Flow (8831 posts) -

BF6 - 240P on XBone

LOL.

if we are going with TC's Logic, then I guess this is true aswell

#13 Edited by XboxStache (858 posts) -

BF6 - 240P on XBone

LOL.

PS4 with blurry textures and dull color palette lmfao. Ya.

#14 Posted by silversix_ (12569 posts) -

who cares what happens in 5 years? In 5 years the PS4 will be as outdated as ps360 in 2013 and every single person with half a brain would be rollin on pc.

#15 Edited by Douevenlift_bro (4969 posts) -

who cares what happens in 5 years? In 5 years the PS4 will be as outdated as ps360 in 2013 and every single person with half a brain would be rollin on pc.

That's never been the case. Unless all you play is multiplats

#16 Posted by silversix_ (12569 posts) -

@silversix_ said:

That's never been the case. Unless all you play is multiplats

mostly the only games that matter.

#17 Posted by Desmonic (10436 posts) -

That's not how it works buddy.

#18 Posted by killzowned24 (7073 posts) -

It's far more impressive for Next gen games to run at 1080p when they're built from the ground up using the console's hardware. In the case of both BF4 and Cod Ghosts, these games are ports with a boost in resolution and better textures. But both games were intended to be run on current gen hardware.

Once multiplats are rolling for a year or possibly a few months from now, both the X1 and PS4 will have amazing results. 1080p easily.

Xbone will not get 1080p games easily if at all. The only reason Forza is the only 1080p game is because it uses lastgen engine with baked lighting.

#19 Posted by KHAndAnime (12727 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

How will it work then? What will the devs do with the extra PS4 horsepower if the X1 and PS4 start putting multiplat games out at 720P?

#20 Posted by Desmonic (10436 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

How will it work then? What will the devs do with the extra PS4 horsepower if the X1 and PS4 start putting multiplat games out at 720P?

There is this little thing called optimization which will allow devs to improve their games graphically (and in other areas like physics and particles for example) while maintaining at least 720p. It's what happened this past gen with games looking better and better and not dropping to ridiculously low resolutions in the process.

Consoles strive in optimization and devs literally abuse, since they know the userbase has the exact same hardware. Which is why we went for example from this:

UC1

to this:

UC3

and finally, this:

TLOU

#21 Posted by blackace (18524 posts) -

This has to be one of the most clueless posts I've seen on SW. The OP doesn't even deserve a intelligent reply in this case. When someone doesn't have any clue about how software and game console hardware works. you're wasting your time replying with a serious comment.

#22 Posted by Sushiglutton (5105 posts) -

I hope so. Resources are much better spent on various effects and more dynamic worlds. Trying to hit 1080p is no goal in itself, only if it can be achieved without hurting the other more interesting graphical stuff.

#23 Edited by wis3boi (30295 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@KHAndAnime said:

@Desmonic said:

There is this little thing called optimization which will allow devs to improve their games graphically (and in other areas like physics and particles for example) while maintaining at least 720p. It's what happened this past gen with games looking better and better and not dropping to ridiculously low resolutions in the process.

Consoles strive in optimization and devs literally abuse, since they know the userbase has the exact same hardware. Which is why we went for example from this:

UC1

to this:

UC3

and finally, this:

TLOU

Ah, yes...optimization....this thing consolites think is pure magic when in reality it is nothing but smoke and mirrors to hide the shitty visuals.

#24 Posted by Gue1 (8103 posts) -

no one cares about teh PC. Only pirates and other filthy dishonest people play games on PC.

#25 Posted by Desmonic (10436 posts) -

@wis3boi said:

Ah, yes...optimization....this thing consolites think is pure magic when in reality it is nothing but smoke and mirrors to hide the shitty visuals.

Right, right...because games on the X360/PS3 from 2005/2006 look EXACTLY the same as games from 2013...oh, what's that? They don't?

Don't....don't tell me that those meanie console devs optimized their own code to improve, even if ever so slightly their performance and their graphical quality!? How dare they! Why, those devils!

To think they would not share their methods and knowledge with PC only devs!....Oh what's that?...PC devs do the same to take advantage of the newest hardware!? NO WAY!! My whole life is a lie! :o

/sarcasm

#26 Posted by wis3boi (30295 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@wis3boi said:

Right, right...because games on the X360/PS3 from 2005/2006 look EXACTLY the same as games from 2013...oh, what's that? They don't?

Don't....don't tell me that those meanie console devs optimized their own code to improve, even if ever so slightly their performance and their graphical quality!? How dare they! Why, those devils!

To think they would not share their methods and knowledge with PC only devs!....Oh what's that?...PC devs do the same to take advantage of the newest hardware!? NO WAY!! My whole life is a lie! :o

/sarcasm

must be why the newer the games that come out, the more impressive the effects they use, they have to lower the resolution to compensate....and cover everything up with filters, bloom, etc. When I play a game on my PC maxed out to the brim in 1440p and then go play a console game, the difference is astounding and the obvious attempts to hide the hideous pop-in and jagged edges are laughable.

#27 Posted by Desmonic (10436 posts) -

@wis3boi said:

@Desmonic said:

@wis3boi said:

/sarcasm

must be why the newer the games that come out, the more impressive the effects they use, they have to lower the resolution to compensate....and cover everything up with filters, bloom, etc. When I play a game on my PC maxed out to the brim in 1440p and then go play a console game, the difference is astounding and the obvious attempts to hide the hideous pop-in and jagged edges are laughable.

Here is your problem: You are bringing the PC into a console discussion, when clearly the PC, in any possible situation will win. Coming here arguing that playing a game on PC @ max settings is much better when compared to how the consoles versions look is moot. It doesn't matter from which year or console a game is, the PC counterpart will always look better due to pure hardware advantages.

However you cannot deny optimization exists and is wildly used on everything. Take a PC game from, say, 2000. For arguments sake let's imagine that we had 2 PC's, one with hardware from 2000/2001 that could max out said game at the time and one from today with top parts. Playing the two games, aside from a possible res difference made possible by the new cards and better monitors, what differences are there? None. Now patch it with a decent graphical mod (which we will assume exists of course). Now you see a difference. Why? Someone wrote code that updated and optimized the game for todays reality.

Same principle applies on console, with the difference it's fixed hardware. And while in 2006 even the best games looked blurry with crappy textures they now look much less blurry with better textures (compared to the 2006 versions).

Thus optimization. It's not some magical thing, it's an actual thing which is used everywhere.

#28 Edited by Shewgenja (6937 posts) -

GPUcompute dictates otherwise. As this generation unfolds, there will actually be more system bandwidth to optimize use for. Resolutions will go up and so will frame rate. Thread is a total fail.

#29 Edited by good_sk8er7 (4235 posts) -

Are you sure optimization won't only improve.... like it ALWAYS has?

#30 Edited by GhoX (4557 posts) -

Optimisation will improve, and it's much more likely that devs will sacrifice graphical details for a consistent resolution. However, I imagine that 900p and 30 fps will become the normal on PS4. 1080p and 60 fps is too stressful for most devs, and chances are only a small number of titles will possess both.

#31 Posted by j2zon2591 (2172 posts) -

PC 4K UHD

PS4 720p HD

X1 540p qHD (if and to maintain all effects found on PS4 [shadows, particles, etc.])

#32 Posted by wis3boi (30295 posts) -

@Desmonic said:

@wis3boi said:

@Desmonic said:

@wis3boi said:

/sarcasm

Here is your problem: You are bringing the PC into a console discussion, when clearly the PC, in any possible situation will win. Coming here arguing that playing a game on PC @ max settings is much better when compared to how the consoles versions look is moot. It doesn't matter from which year or console a game is, the PC counterpart will always look better due to pure hardware advantages.

However you cannot deny optimization exists and is wildly used on everything. Take a PC game from, say, 2000. For arguments sake let's imagine that we had 2 PC's, one with hardware from 2000/2001 that could max out said game at the time and one from today with top parts. Playing the two games, aside from a possible res difference made possible by the new cards and better monitors, what differences are there? None. Now patch it with a decent graphical mod (which we will assume exists of course). Now you see a difference. Why? Someone wrote code that updated and optimized the game for todays reality.

Same principle applies on console, with the difference it's fixed hardware. And while in 2006 even the best games looked blurry with crappy textures they now look much less blurry with better textures (compared to the 2006 versions).

Thus optimization. It's not some magical thing, it's an actual thing which is used everywhere.

I found your problem. You use optimization to mean something utterly different from what it really means

#33 Posted by bigblunt537 (6767 posts) -

I love this topic very much. Do you want to know why? Years ago when the PS3 and 360 launched I made this very same point about the games running at 720p. I made a thread asking everyone what would happen when games became to demanding to run at that resolution. Would the devs sacrifice quality for resolution? Or offer better graphics at a lower resolution? You know what I got as responses? A bunch of fanboys telling me that they will always be in 720p and up because the power wasn't "fully being utilized"... Wish I could quote them now.

Honestly I think that it will pretty much follow this gen. Many multiplats on 360 although sub HD are still slightly higher res than ps3 resolutions. So IMO we may see PS4 titles at 720p and Xbox 1 titles at 600p.

#34 Posted by xhawk27 (6680 posts) -

@AMD655:

The Hidden power of the Xbox One is going to Owned you doubters like the Cell did last gen! :P

#35 Posted by killzowned24 (7073 posts) -

@wis3boi said:

@Desmonic said:

@wis3boi said:

/sarcasm

I guess thats why GTA, one of the most technical games ended the gen at 720p..right?

#36 Edited by Netherscourge (16271 posts) -

5 years from now everyone will have enough money again to buy new PC hardware and then they'll have BOTH a PC and a console for the exclusives.

This is a non-issue.

#37 Posted by the_bi99man (10916 posts) -

Shouldn't a game that's been developed for current-gen hardware, getting a resolution upgrade and running on next-gen hardware, be running at a significantly higher resolution?

You can try to justify it all you want, but the facts are here: Ghosts will run on the more-than-half-a-decade-old current gen consoles. It will run beautifully, at 60 fps or more, at resolutions even higher than 1080p, on barely-even-mid-range PCs. The PS4 will be running it at full 1080p. The Xbox One version will be at 720p, only barely higher than the rez the PS3/360 versions will run.

If you know these facts, and still come to any conclusion other than "the Xbox One is severely underpowered for a 'next-gen' console", you're a blind fanboy, and you're in denial. Deal with it.

#38 Posted by blamix99 (1332 posts) -

nah i dont think the ps4 will go 720p, but i think the XBone will go 480p or 360p around 2016-2018

#39 Posted by WallofTruth (699 posts) -

And in 5 years you'll have upgraded your PC at least twice, so what's your point? You get what you pay for.

#40 Posted by TorqueHappens08 (878 posts) -

PC is always miles ahead of consoles.

#41 Edited by Teuf_ (30805 posts) -

@wis3boi said:

Whenever this comes up I try to follow the logic, and it makes my head hurt. If understand it correctly, somehow console developers will steadily make their games look better but somehow it doesn't really look better. So I'm guessing this line of thinking requires the belief that developers are capable of Jedi mind tricks, or something in that vein.

If a game looks good, it looks good. End of story. If developer can make a game look better using the same amount of computing resources (or less), then it's definitely an optimization. By the same token producing the same visuals with less resources is pretty much the definition of optimization. If you really think it doesn't happen over the long lifetime of a console, then you're lacking some basic understanding of game development.

#42 Posted by stereointegrity (10536 posts) -

so if ps4 goes down to 720 xbone will go down to 480?

#43 Edited by wis3boi (30295 posts) -

@teuf_ said:

@wis3boi said:

Whenever this comes up I try to follow the logic, and it makes my head hurt. If understand it correctly, somehow console developers will steadily make their games look better but somehow it doesn't really look better. So I'm guessing this line of thinking requires the belief that developers are capable of Jedi mind tricks, or something in that vein.

If a game looks good, it looks good. End of story. If developer can make a game look better using the same amount of computing resources (or less), then it's definitely an optimization. By the same token producing the same visuals with less resources is pretty much the definition of optimization. If you really think it doesn't happen over the long lifetime of a console, then you're lacking some basic understanding of game development.

Things look better...at the cost of other effects. Why is this so hard to understand? Got fancier special smoke effects or some delicious textures? Reduce the screen resolution. Turn down the AA to minimal levels...or use none at all. Framerate dipping too much? Throw motion blur at it until it goes away.

No amount of optimization work can make up for lower end hardware, simple as that. This gen we've had nothing but 720p and lower resolutions, terrible load times, muddy textures, and no AA because of a substantial lack of memory. Even for 2006/2007, 512mb of memory and lower is just laughable. Yes, games do look better as they go on and learn some new tricks but it's not magic and these new effects means a cut somewhere else. The XBone and PS4 have good memory fortunately but their gpu/cpu combos are quite weak....weak before they hit the shelves. I really wish they could stop pulling the smoke and mirrors thing to keep advancing, and finally get some crisper image quality of of these consoles, but I won't hold my breath...we're already seeing them struggle to pull of 1080 right now. Fortunately for me, I will never buy another console and don't have to deal with this...plus I have Mantle coming up

#44 Posted by kalipekona (2281 posts) -

No, they will probably just lower graphical elements and the games will output at 720p on both XB1 and PS4.

Already PS4 can't run Battlefield 4 at anything higher than 900p. My PC I built a few years ago runs it at better quality than the PS4. Down the line native resolutions on consoles are only going to get worse, as we saw this past generation.

#45 Posted by Gue1 (8103 posts) -

in 5 years PS4 games will still be looking much better than the Xbone's.

#46 Posted by xxgunslingerxx (4045 posts) -

@wis3boi said:

@Desmonic said:

@wis3boi said:

@Desmonic said:

@wis3boi said:

/sarcasm

I found your problem. You use optimization to mean something utterly different from what it really means

how about this..... when a game gets patched to run better... that is optimization
programing to a spec is easier than programming to variations of specs

what i think you are doing is nit picking technically what the other guy meant was push specs to their limit which in a way is optimization

#47 Posted by KillzoneSnake (1548 posts) -

No, they will be 1080p.

Fail thread, no problem.

#48 Edited by Caseytappy (2096 posts) -

Play GTA IV and then GTA 5 on the 360, a pretty straight forward PC like system .

The difference in image quality is huge and it's still 720P so I call bullshit .

#49 Edited by Desmonic (10436 posts) -

@wis3boi said:

Oh really? Is that so? Enlighten us all to what is this misterious term I'm referring to then; what do you call it or name it when devs, using the same fixed hardware can produce better looking games in year 5 than in year 1. When devs, take in consideration a large number of configurations and write their code so that the game can take advantage of top parts but also run with crappy ones...

Blood sacrifices? Jedi mind tricks? Drugs to makes us think they look better? Black magic?

@wis3boi said:

Things look better...at the cost of other effects. Why is this so hard to understand? Got fancier special smoke effects or some delicious textures? Reduce the screen resolution. Turn down the AA to minimal levels...or use none at all. Framerate dipping too much? Throw motion blur at it until it goes away.

No amount of optimization work can make up for lower end hardware, simple as that. This gen we've had nothing but 720p and lower resolutions, terrible load times, muddy textures, and no AA because of a substantial lack of memory. Even for 2006/2007, 512mb of memory and lower is just laughable. Yes, games do look better as they go on and learn some new tricks but it's not magic and these new effects means a cut somewhere else. The XBone and PS4 have good memory fortunately but their gpu/cpu combos are quite weak....weak before they hit the shelves. I really wish they could stop pulling the smoke and mirrors thing to keep advancing, and finally get some crisper image quality of of these consoles, but I won't hold my breath...we're already seeing them struggle to pull of 1080 right now. Fortunately for me, I will never buy another console and don't have to deal with this...plus I have Mantle coming up

No sh!t wise guy. Nobody said there wouldn't be sacrifices, however performance did not halt to a crawling point. At worst they've been around 30fps in res closer to 720p or actual 720p versus how the gen started with better fps but crappy res, texture, effetcs and so forth.

By your logic every single time devs would try to use better effects or textures on consoles the resolution and fps would go to complete and utter sh!t. And yet, games like GTA5 manage to not do so...magic? No, code optimization. Compare it to GTA4 that came just a couple of years after the gen started and the difference is abysmal, even for someone who's used to seeing everything in 1440p with settings on ultra.

Again you keep using PC as reference when we all know it doesn't quite work like that. Like you said, comparatively the hardware is weaker from the get go (heck we'll see GPU's with more dedicated memory than the total of these two systems soon enough) however as we all know games look better as the gen goes.

Likewise, as new hardware and software releases on the PC side of things, the games look better. It's not only due to pure hardware strenght, otherwise all upgrades would be marginal and not as noticeable as they really are. The devs optimize their code to take not only advantage of the top configurations their userbase has but also for users with more modest settings. It's not f*ckin magic, someone (or better yet a team of someones) had to design and write the game with all that in mind and optimize their product for it.

#50 Posted by paraskhos_basic (1237 posts) -

@Gue1 said:

@Xplode_games said:

no one cares about teh PC. Only pirates and other filthy dishonest people play games on PC.

Ask millions of steam users.