Improving Tablets May Mean the End of PC & Console Games

• 80 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Slimmin360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Slimmin360
Member since 2010 • 1933 Posts

I personally love gaming on my IPAD, i'm one of those who thinks within' the next decade that all gaming will be done on a tablet device of some kind, with the wireless capability to stream it to your wi-fi TV.

This is not as far fetched as some may think, all these system wars may not be applicable in the near future, for all we know console and PC gaming could be a thing of the past in 10 years, when you consider the ever increasing tech of tablets and wi-fi televisions, not to mention the ultra low cost of IOS and android games.

Which by the way look better and better graphically every year...gaming could go this way sooner than we think.

Everyone elses thoughts on the subject?...and please no fanboy answers....serious discussion only.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#2 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts

Oh look, this thread again.

Sorry, it's far too limited. The best mobile gaming has yet to do, at least in aping traditional games is Sonic the goddamn Hedgehog, or DS ports.

Look, Mobile gamers, your market is clearly not going anywhere, and has it's place. I have personally enjoyed the hell out of quite a few mobile games, and can't imagine playing World of Goo on something that isn't an iPad. But can we SERIOUSLY stop pretending that it's going to kill gaming on other platforms?

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

Lol no.

betamaxx83

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#4 betamaxx83
Member since 2013 • 360 Posts

TC you funny

HitmanActual

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5  Edited By HitmanActual
Member since 2013 • 1351 Posts
@Slimmin360 said:

...gaming could go this way sooner than we think.

plageus900

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 plageus900
Member since 2013 • 3065 Posts

@Slimmin360 said:
Which by the way look better and better graphically every year...gaming could go this way sooner than we think.

Jynxzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Jynxzor
Member since 2003 • 9313 Posts

Because your certainly not talking to anyone with common sense.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#8 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

No just no,

k--m--k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#9 k--m--k
Member since 2007 • 2799 Posts

lol, gaming on ipad to replace real gaming

Rage010101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By Rage010101
Member since 2006 • 5470 Posts

lol no

Cyberdot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Cyberdot
Member since 2013 • 3928 Posts

@clyde46 said:

Lol no.

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By naz99
Member since 2002 • 2941 Posts

No just no

I love the logic, you like gaming on your ipad so that means the end of consoles and pc despite the fact the majority would want no such thing.

jhcho2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#14 jhcho2
Member since 2004 • 5103 Posts

Saying tablets would lead to the death of console or pc games is no different that saying that tablets would lead to the death of laptops. We all know that is not the case. Anyone holding a corporate job right now would know that you can't do serious work on the tablet. You need either a laptop or a desktop. Gaming is no different. I can't possibly game for 6 hours straight on my tablet.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15  Edited By blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@clyde46 said:

Lol no.

I agree. Gaming on tablets is something you do as an entertaining distraction when you on the go or in the bathroom. lol!! I do play some IoS games each week, but it's no more then for 15-30mins at a time. I'll play for hours on game consoles. Tablets will never replace game consoles or PC gaming.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#16 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14411 Posts

Thread is bad and you should feel bad TC.

Puckhog04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Puckhog04
Member since 2003 • 22814 Posts

PC's when it comes to gaming? Most likely will. Tablets and Laptops are being purchased more and more. Desktops are not sold anywhere near as much as they used to.

Consoles and Handhelds? No, it's an entirely different market. Even if both slowed down in the USA (which 99% chance they won't), Japan and such as depend on such devices for gaming.

edidili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By edidili
Member since 2004 • 3449 Posts

@Slimmin360 said:

not to mention the ultra low cost of IOS and android games.

This is the main problem mobiles games have at the moment, apart from that whole touch thing. They trade quality for price. You'll never have a game that takes 2 years to make by a team of 100 developers and sell that game for $1. Is just impossible. It's been what, 6 years now? In all these 6 years I can count the games I found worth my time with one hand.

Muffin2020

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Muffin2020
Member since 2013 • 534 Posts

@farrell2k said:

Even Microsoft admits that mobile is stealing away console gamers. I's only going to get worse.

I don't really understand that statement when last year we had the 2 most successful console launches ever and a non Mobile game that broke every record for games currently held.

good_sk8er7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#21 good_sk8er7
Member since 2009 • 4327 Posts

I really hope you're wrong.

I don't believe that could actually happen though. You really can't get the same kind of experience out of a mobile device. Touch Screen controls just suck for one, and not every game takes advantage of controllers (or do they?) Even if the graphics get better than consoles, there's still just not that same kind of experience you'd get.

I probably won't take up mobile gaming anytime soon personally, I just haven't been able to get much actual entertainment out of it.

PC gaming isn't going anywhere, even if mobile devices spell doom for consoles, I'm sure PC will still be a thing. If it comes down to that I'll just be a PC gamer and have an incredible lineup of software on that and the huge catalogues of the consoles that have already happened.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29822 Posts

@Slimmin360 said:

I personally love gaming on my IPAD, i'm one of those who thinks within' the next decade that all gaming will be done on a tablet device of some kind, with the wireless capability to stream it to your wi-fi TV.

This is not as far fetched as some may think, all these system wars may not be applicable in the near future, for all we know console and PC gaming could be a thing of the past in 10 years, when you consider the ever increasing tech of tablets and wi-fi televisions, not to mention the ultra low cost of IOS and android games.

Everyone elses thoughts on the subject?...and please no fanboy answers....serious discussion only.

Dude, how many times have you made a reiteration of this goddamn topic?

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#25 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Gaming without buttons is just stupid. Until a gaming system can read our minds and translate that, faster than buttons, to an input signal for a game, there will be no gimmick that comes along that will be faster or more intuitive than buttons.

Tablets and smartphones have their position in the market, but don't be delusional and think Angry Birds is going to somehow replace Rome Total War.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26  Edited By osan0
Member since 2004 • 17779 Posts

god i hope not.

i have a 10" tablet and i cant, for the life of me, find any games i would consider playing for a long period. tablets are in a terrible position since app developers just port their phone games over which really does the tablet no favours.

in saying that i think they could be a fantastic alternative to a second monitor for gaming on the PC. i would love to have my tablet hanging off the side of my monitor and have it connect to a game so that i can have more control over the game. a bit like the DS or wiiu (where the second screen is very underutilised sadly).

from simple stuff like a map in skyrim (where maybe i could get extra skills which would show me where the dragons are on the map also for example) to moving the entire trading system of an x space sim to the tablet so i could be setting up some stuff for trade on the tablet while my ship is on autopilot.

personally i think the future of tablets will be as a complimentary device to other devices...thats where they will really shine. as a standalone device they are very limited for gaming though. best used for browsing dinternet (though even then i prefer to use my laptop for that) and watching netflix or something.

Cranler

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Cranler
Member since 2005 • 8809 Posts

@Puckhog04 said:

PC's when it comes to gaming? Most likely will. Tablets and Laptops are being purchased more and more. Desktops are not sold anywhere near as much as they used to.

Consoles and Handhelds? No, it's an entirely different market. Even if both slowed down in the USA (which 99% chance they won't), Japan and such as depend on such devices for gaming.

A laptop is a pc. Desktops are pretty much dead outside of you know, pc gaming, where desktop gaming hardware sales are thriving.

2Chalupas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 2Chalupas
Member since 2009 • 7284 Posts

Having just got my first tablet (Ipad Air).

No... just no. I actually find touchscreen gaming on the tablet to be an incredibly awkward experience, somehow even worse than gaming on a mobile device (due to the size).

It might work well for certain genre's that work well as "point-and-click" on PC. In those instances, touching the screen is even better. But anything that needs control, I find touching the screen terrible awkward. I tried Madden 25 on IPAD, LOL at that piece of %$@ (granted it's a piece of $@^%# on consoles as well)

1oh1nine1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 1oh1nine1
Member since 2007 • 779 Posts

No. Lol, no! Why not? Mothertruckin buttons, that's why!

kemar7856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 kemar7856
Member since 2004 • 11783 Posts

mobile gaming is something you do on the train on ur way to work just to pass the time you don't invest heavy time into like with consoles

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18249 Posts

Lol, gaming without buttons? yeah right, what a funny thread.

edidili

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By edidili
Member since 2004 • 3449 Posts

@osan0 said:

in saying that i think they could be a fantastic alternative to a second monitor for gaming on the PC. i would love to have my tablet hanging off the side of my monitor and have it connect to a game so that i can have more control over the game. a bit like the DS or wiiu (where the second screen is very underutilised sadly).

from simple stuff like a map in skyrim (where maybe i could get extra skills which would show me where the dragons are on the map also for example) to moving the entire trading system of an x space sim to the tablet so i could be setting up some stuff for trade on the tablet while my ship is on autopilot.

You're talking about smartglass.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

I really don't think that is going to happen, but if it does, at least I will still have board games, card games, and dominoes.

Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Shottayouth13-
Member since 2009 • 7018 Posts

Lol no.

Mobile gaming will never replace anything for one simple reason - it lacks buttons.

Playing anything other than Angry Bird-esque games on any touch device is a severe pain in the ass.

Avatar image for megaspiderweb09
megaspiderweb09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By megaspiderweb09
Member since 2009 • 3686 Posts

I think what TC is trying to say is that further into the future, mobile computers have the potential to kill console gaming. For example, the quick dev of specs on the mobile platforms which refreshes every three year seem to give them (potentially) a chance at leapfrogging consoles in terms of specs (Moores Law). However, what is holding tablets back at the moment is the battery side of things and the fact that the cost:benefit does not favour investments in advanced chips.

Also people do not necessarily need to swipe on their tablet to play a game, a traditional controller can be plugged in and it becomes a mobile console, if you have possibly a external connector to your TV, it becomes a traditional console too but at the end of the day, all those potential just remain prospects rather than possibility.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

Compared to hardware, yes Tablets will be ahead of consoles in 2016 most likely. Although the experience won't replace consoles for awhile. As we reach to smaller transistors and crazy small DC adapters that hold up higher wattage's that could be integrated in a docking station, tablets will then be an ideal platform for gamers. x86 will still be relevant for power hungry users who need more instructions although engineers are beginning to use ARM architecture for most mobile platforms because of its power efficiency. Also, we may as well abandon Silicon for Indium gallium arsenide or Graphene transistors.

Both AMD and Intel see mobile devices as a threat to their market shares. AMD as of now is no longer competing with Intel with their x86 CPU's, instead they want to get into the mobile market with their APU's. Intel is doing the same with Broadwell in 2014 with their 14nm tech to keep the x86 business going.

AMD's response to Mobile gaming

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=AAi2sSbY-zM

Loading Video...

It's happening already.

Netret0120

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#37 Netret0120
Member since 2013 • 3594 Posts

Until i can find games like TLOU/GTA5 on my tablet which doesn't kill my battery within 30mins then i will gladly agree.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38  Edited By Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

@Netret0120 said:

Until i can find games like TLOU/GTA5 on my tablet which doesn't kill my battery within 30mins then i will gladly agree.

It's already happening, and Tegra 5 may be it. Also Gaikai for weaker platforms.

mrintro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 mrintro
Member since 2004 • 1354 Posts

Not gonna happen anytime soon

LJS9502_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 LJS9502_basic
Member since 2003 • 178810 Posts

Hahaha no. Tablet gaming....hahahaha.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#41  Edited By Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9839 Posts

And VR will make traveling pointless as you can visit any place you want at home.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17779 Posts

@edidili said:

@osan0 said:

You're talking about smartglass.

basically yes.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#43 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Hell no.

Not every game can be done using a Tablet.

Devil-Itachi

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Devil-Itachi
Member since 2005 • 4387 Posts

At best ARM would put a end to x86 and even that seems highly unlikely. There will likely always be a need for desktop pcs and consoles. There is even a new market of consoles/mini pcs with tablet/mobile tech already.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#45 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58647 Posts

Tablets have more or less saved the rainforest. No need for books. Unless we need shit role there is absolutely no need to cut it down.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#46  Edited By heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

****. THAT.

I have an Ipad plus a couple other tablets and if gaming went in that direction I couldn't in good conscience support it.

Tablet gaming is one of the most DRM ridden, money grabbing pieces of shit to come along in recent memory.

It'll make you beg for the current state of DLC.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#47  Edited By hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts

@Slimmin360: Because PCs and Console tech stagnant? SMH

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

Tablets may fight it out with handhelds and smart phones. Against PCs (both laptops and desktops) and consoles? Nah.

I have a PSP, Android tablet, gaming PC (both desktop and laptop), and a console. From my own experiences using them, the tablet isn't going to replace the latter two anytime soon.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
Member since 2009 • 6176 Posts

Pretty sure some people where spouting such nonsense last generation and low and behold, PS4 and Xbone are selling like hotcakes.

Puckhog04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Puckhog04
Member since 2003 • 22814 Posts

@Cranler said:

@Puckhog04 said:

A laptop is a pc. Desktops are pretty much dead outside of you know, pc gaming, where desktop gaming hardware sales are thriving.

You think? Thanks for stating the obvious. Hardware sales are "thriving", as you so think, because of poorly optimized PC games that come out every day requiring you to overcompensate with your hardware just to play games on Medium. Yes, it's true.