Impressed With Mario Galaxy So Far. Contender For GOTY? Wii Mote Adds Nothing.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18830 Posts

YEah last night i played the game at gamestop and i kinda liked it Despite the lame Wii Mote. Really, the wii mote adds nothing new which i wised u can used a regluar GC controller or somthing. Spinning attack is by shaking the controller which felt very unatural. Anyway, i still got into the game for a while then i left.

Also, ZELDA and MArio need a new concept because this saving the sameprincess is LAME

deadmeat59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#2 deadmeat59
Member since 2003 • 8981 Posts
lol this coming from some one with "psp" in there name
Avatar image for deactivated-5f956b96dc672
deactivated-5f956b96dc672

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 deactivated-5f956b96dc672
Member since 2007 • 2218 Posts

YEah last night i played the game at gamestop and i kinda liked it Despite the lame Wii Mote. Really, the wii mote adds nothing new which i wised u can used a regluar GC controller or somthing. Spinning attack is by shaking the controller which felt very unatural. Anyway, i still got into the game for a while then i left.

Also, ZELDA and MArio need a new concept because this saving the sameprincess is LAME

PSP107

a) the wii mote is a gimmick, and games are only as good as the devs who make them, and nintendo is very good.

b) mario and zelda do need better stories. maybe they should use the formula in my sig?

jbrittain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#4 jbrittain
Member since 2002 • 2151 Posts
Hmm.. how far did you get into the game? And did you even realize that you can use the pointer to pick up crystals? Also, later on you use it as a kind of grapple beam where you attach to these bubbles. Playing any game for 10 minutes is never enough to make a serious judgement on it.
Tnasty11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 Tnasty11
Member since 2005 • 4497 Posts

lol this coming from some one with "psp" in there namedeadmeat59
so just because he got psp in his username he doesn't like mario?

got a one in my sig and i stilllike mario but luigi even more

blahzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 blahzor
Member since 2005 • 2287 Posts

TP won awards for its story.

Story is about the characters adventure; hence mario's story isn't just the act of rescuing peach, its everything leading up to the rescue. This usually means mario visiting fantastic worlds.. Not to mention mario and his universe is very colourful and charming. Alot of good fantasy is so great because of its imagination.

Oh, but if you want a story that revoles more around characters.. try the paper mario games. Not only do they have some good character development, but they are quite funny!

As for controls; i'm trying not to spoil too many of the games mechanics/features so i don't know a whole lot about its controls. However, i do know you can stun enemies by pointing and shooting at them, i'm sure this is good. Also, shaking the nunchuk for a spin attack is great in twilight princess, in fact this made the spin attack one of the more useful and easy to perform moves in the entire game.. i don't doubt mario galaxy's spin attack is great too

Anyways; yes Mario Galaxy looks like gaming perfection! :)

deadmeat59

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#7 deadmeat59
Member since 2003 • 8981 Posts
the wii mote is a step forward in game controlls . yes it can be done with other controllers no duh. all they would is have to remap the controlls . but the wii mote makes it more fun . like in metroid i love the wii controlls way more then the gc game .
LINKloco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 LINKloco
Member since 2004 • 14514 Posts

b) mario and zelda do need better stories. maybe they should use the formula in my sig?Awinagainov

Something like:

A fat Italian plumber, with no sidekick, travels to the depths of outerspace, in order to save Princess Peach from Bowser once again.

Looks like they have been using your formula.

Avatar image for darth-pyschosis
darth-pyschosis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 darth-pyschosis
Member since 2006 • 9322 Posts

PSP107

so you didn't notice that shaking it makes mario spin and pointing stops things and picks them up?

JPOBS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 JPOBS
Member since 2007 • 9675 Posts

a) the wii mote is a gimmick, and games are only as good as the devs who make them, and nintendo is very good.

b) mario and zelda do need better stories. maybe they should use the formula in my sig?

Awinagainov
the second one is the best. I'd totally play that game.
JPOBS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 JPOBS
Member since 2007 • 9675 Posts

[QUOTE="Awinagainov"]b) mario and zelda do need better stories. maybe they should use the formula in my sig?LINKloco

Something like:

A fat Italian plumber, with no sidekick, travels to the depths of outerspace, in order to save Princess Peach from Bowser once again.

A fairy elf, with no sidekick, travels to various dungeons, in order to collect necessary fragments of a broken actient item to save a fairy elf princess.

Touche

killab2oo5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 killab2oo5
Member since 2005 • 13621 Posts

I agree. I was playing SMG,and while it was fun, I didn't really notice a difference gameplay than any other game ive played with a regular gamepad. Only thing "unique" is the you can do twisty things with the Wiimote.Heh,maybe the Wiimote gets put into play more through out the game.

MikeE21286

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 MikeE21286
Member since 2003 • 10405 Posts

Hmm.. how far did you get into the game? And did you even realize that you can use the pointer to pick up crystals? Also, later on you use it as a kind of grapple beam where you attach to these bubbles. Playing any game for 10 minutes is never enough to make a serious judgement on it.jbrittain

if that underlined part is not the epitomy of "gimmick" I don't know what is.

LINKloco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 LINKloco
[QUOTE="LINKloco"]

[QUOTE="Awinagainov"]b) mario and zelda do need better stories. maybe they should use the formula in my sig?JPOBS

Something like:

A fairy elf, with no sidekick, travels to various dungeons, in order to collect necessary fragments of a broken actient item to save a fairy elf princess.

Touche

A fairy elf?:evil:

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-5f956b96dc672
[QUOTE="JPOBS"][QUOTE="LINKloco"]

[QUOTE="Awinagainov"]b) mario and zelda do need better stories. maybe they should use the formula in my sig?LINKloco

Something like:

Touche

A fairy elf?:evil:

its actually an elf with a fairy sidekick
Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

Keeping motion sensing to a minimum is how you properly use the feature.

Unless its driving or flying.

the_h_bomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 the_h_bomb
Member since 2007 • 3182 Posts

:lol: exactly

flazzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 flazzle
Member since 2007 • 6507 Posts

Wii mote is a nice 'option' to have. It should not be forced into every game for the sake of using it.

But haters can bash the Wii-mote as they see fit: 1) If the game uses it, its being tacked on. 2) If the game doesn't, it's proof the Wii-mote is not necessary and nothing but a gimmick.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 deactivated-5f956b96dc672

Wii mote is a nice 'option' to have. It should not be forced into every game for the sake of using it.

But haters can bash the Wii-mote as they see fit: 1) If the game uses it, its being tacked on. 2) If the game doesn't, it's proof the Wii-mote is not necessary and nothing but a gimmick.

flazzle

its just like rumble.

when used too much it is bad

when used too little, the game lacks feeling

when used appropriately, a good game feeling

Erkidu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20 Erkidu
Member since 2007 • 2744 Posts
This coming from someone with "PSP" in his username. Hmm... On another note, playing the game for a few minutes is hardly enough to assert that the "Wiimote adds nothing". I've heard the complete opposite from those that have actually played the game to a real extent (professional reviewers and such).
kevy619

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#21 kevy619
Member since 2004 • 5617 Posts

flazzle

I agree, some people just praise the wii-mote more than it deserves to be.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Bread_or_Decide

flazzle

last gen graphics + lack of wiimote use = what else are they supposed to think?

Erkidu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Erkidu
[QUOTE="flazzle"]

Bread_or_Decide

SMG dosen't have "last-gen" graphics. Stop fooling yourself. On another note, there is plenty of Wiimote use in SMG, according to those that have played the REAL GAME for longer than 5-10 minutes (the demo times out after 10).
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Bread_or_Decide
[QUOTE="Bread_or_Decide"][QUOTE="flazzle"]

Erkidu

SMG dosen't have "last-gen" graphics. Stop fooling yourself. On another note, there is plenty of Wiimote use in SMG, according to those that have played the REAL GAME for longer than 5-10 minutes (the demo times out after 10).

The graphics are good but nothing the gamecube or XBOX couldn't do.

LINKloco

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 LINKloco

Keeping motion sensing to a minimum is how you properly use the feature.

Unless its driving or flying.

Bread_or_Decide

Troo.

flazzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 flazzle
Member since 2007 • 6507 Posts
[QUOTE="flazzle"]

Bread_or_Decide

Well, I hope they don't think a game needs the very best graphics possible to be any good.

I haven't played the game in its entirety, but if Nintendo thought of a great new game with great gameplay, I am glad they made it regardless if it doesn't happenshow off the system.

It is Mario. It's going to have a cartoony look. It should have a cartoony look.

But, I haven't seen how busy the game gets (GC had some framerate problems. Maybe Wii does not). I haven't heard the music. I don't know if it effectily uses the Wii mote, and I don't know if the entire game HAS last gen graphics.

Hey, its on Wii, looks like fun. And fun is all i really look for.

Erkidu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Erkidu
[QUOTE="Erkidu"][QUOTE="Bread_or_Decide"][QUOTE="flazzle"]

Bread_or_Decide

I dsagree. This game has some outstanding effects - and, more importantly, a steady framerate at 30FPS.
KeeperofDingo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 KeeperofDingo
Member since 2006 • 565 Posts
I laugh when people say the word "gimmick" like its a bad thing when it isn't necessarily.
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Bread_or_Decide
[QUOTE="Bread_or_Decide"][QUOTE="Erkidu"][QUOTE="Bread_or_Decide"][QUOTE="flazzle"]

Erkidu

I dsagree. This game has some outstanding effects - and, more importantly, a steady framerate at 30FPS.

Sure it looks great. Prob the best wii game to date. But again...nothing you can't do after 4 years making gamecube games. Seems like what a gamecube game would look like once you've mastered the technology. Super Polished title.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60722 Posts
I think it will be fun with the Wii remote.
Avatar image for TalesofRaGnArOk
TalesofRaGnArOk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31 TalesofRaGnArOk
Member since 2007 • 3189 Posts
hmm . I havent heard anything bad about the controls except for you. They coud pose a problem, but as long as they don't feel tacked on like you say, Im OK with it. Plus the environments and powerups looks sweet. The plot should be more interesting, as most 3d marios have shown. Its more than just rescuing a princess...but what?
sHaDyCuBe321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 sHaDyCuBe321
Member since 2003 • 5769 Posts
[QUOTE="Erkidu"][QUOTE="Bread_or_Decide"][QUOTE="Erkidu"][QUOTE="Bread_or_Decide"][QUOTE="flazzle"]

Bread_or_Decide

Sure it looks great. Prob the best wii game to date. But again...nothing you can't do after 4 years making gamecube games. Seems like what a gamecube game would look like once you've mastered the technology. Super Polished title.

Best looking GC game = RE4, best looking Xbox game = Ninja Gaiden

SMG blows both of them away......you are delusional

You = Fail

If you disagree name me a GC or Xbox title that is anywhere near SMG

the_h_bomb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 the_h_bomb
Member since 2007 • 3182 Posts

Bread_or_Decide

that the resolution of a game has little bearing on its quality and more traditional controls are preferable to motion controls if the latter can not be implemented well

Iyethar

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Iyethar
Member since 2006 • 4660 Posts

I dsagree. This game has some outstanding effects - and, more importantly, a steady framerate at 30FPS.Erkidu

60 fps.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

Would you rather have motion controls shoved down your throat every five seconds? No. It's made to compliment the experience.....not to be the main course.

plus from whatI played...the instances where the wiimote's features are use are really fun.

Especially that manta ray race track.

RonnieLottinSF

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 RonnieLottinSF
Member since 2007 • 1474 Posts
I agree with this thread. I also played SMG at my local GS when I went to pickup R&CF:ToD and GHIII. It was fun and should be a great game, but the Wii mote brings nothing new to the table as far as that game goes.
rimnet00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#37 rimnet00
Member since 2003 • 11003 Posts

PSP107

The reviews say otherwise, saying it uses the controls very uniquely.

hellfire9988

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 hellfire9988
Member since 2006 • 1136 Posts

A super strong battle tested Cyborg, with an exiled alien sidekick, travel through space and to giant doomsday devices, in order to save their race, and the entire universe from mass marder.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 PSP107

What thats got to do with this?

iunderstand

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 iunderstand
Member since 2006 • 3201 Posts
Thanks for the review PSP107, I just canceled my preorder.
WeAreToast

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 WeAreToast
Member since 2006 • 2365 Posts

Something like:

They've used that system since Super Mario Bros., just with a different location and Luigi as a sidekick.

bretthorror

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 bretthorror
Member since 2006 • 1387 Posts
Even if it were to add nothing... can you dock it when 360 games don't make any use of motion sensing and seems to be reviewed fine?
PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 PSP107

Thanks for the review PSP107, I just canceled my preorder.iunderstand

I want call it a review.