Important Update to the GameSpot Community Code of Conduct

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#151 Posted by CaseyWegner (70104 posts) -

[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

[QUOTE="charizard1605"] The rules were never stricter. Nor were they ever as ambiguous.charizard1605

trolling is allowed now. calling somebody a troll is allowed now. posting an opinion without fully backing it up is allowed now. how are the new rules stricter?

a) They're ambiguous enough to allow 'moderator discretion' for just about anything. Flaming is not allowed. I can't call someone an idiot if they are being an idiot. And any ambiguity in my posts might mean that a mod who is having a bad say sees it fit to give me a moderation b) The new rules come with stricter punishments. By a lot. Even the old ToU wasn't this bad. In this case, not only do you have an uncompromising three strike system, but you've also coupled it with the vaguest ruleset of all time. Don't bother responding, incidentally. You're not going to convince me, especially since I feel all your responses sound like PR mouthspeak at best. If and when you are ready to understand that the punishments for rules are also a part of said rules, then we can have a reasonable discussion, but as long as you continue to make an arbitrary distinction between 'new rules' and 'new punishments,' we're not getting any where.

flaming wasn't allowed before and it used to be a 7 day suspension right off the bat...not even a warning. the new rules aren't even done being hammered out yet so, yes, they are vague. i'm not doing PR. i think the new rules as they've been explained are a little too strict in some areas but overall they are in no way more strict than the older tou which i was very, very familiar with. it's just the "3 strikes in a 60 day period" that makes it seem stricter. there's going to be more moderator oversight this time around and you can always appeal your moderation if you strongly feel that it was a mistake. is it a perfect system? no. is it better than the previous two rulesets? yes.

#152 Posted by Jonwh18 (9350 posts) -

[QUOTE="charizard1605"][QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

flaming wasn't allowed before and it used to be a 7 day suspension right off the bat...not even a warning. the new rules aren't even done being hammered out yet so, yes, they are vague. i'm not doing PR. i think the new rules as they've been explained are a little too strict in some areas but overall they are in no way more strict than the older tou which i was very, very familiar with. it's just the "3 strikes in a 60 day period" that makes it seem stricter. there's going to be more moderator oversight this time around and you can always appeal your moderation if you strongly feel that it was a mistake. is it a perfect system? no. is it better than the previous two rulesets? yes.

CaseyWegner

Appeal your moderation? HA! Casey you of all people should know how well appealin something the staff or mods deem so works. MCS is terrible. I have personally only seen thing like locked threads overturned. Mods stick up for Mods and with the vagueness of these rules there will be absolutely no appealing anything. Moderators are going to be able to twist almost anything anyway they want. 

EDIT: INB4 we're still working on the rules. Then why may I ask does the thread and this post say the rule go into effect NOW

[QUOTE="freedomfreak"]When are these rules gonna be implemented?GameSpot
Now.

#153 Posted by CaseyWegner (70104 posts) -

[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

[QUOTE="charizard1605"] Appeal your moderation? HA! Casey you of all people should know how well appealin something the staff or mods deem so works. MCS is terrible. I have personally only seen thing like locked threads overturned. Mods stick up for Mods and with the vagueness of these rules there will be absolutely no appealing anything. Moderators are going to be able to twist almost anything anyway they want. 

EDIT: INB4 we're still working on the rules. Then why may I ask does the thread and this post say the rule go into effect NOW

[QUOTE="GameSpot"][QUOTE="freedomfreak"]When are these rules gonna be implemented?Jonwh18

Now.

to that...i can't say anymore. i'll just say there's going to be something better.

#154 Posted by ManInFlames (77 posts) -
Any word on the Monday thing, Casey?
#155 Posted by CaseyWegner (70104 posts) -

Any word on the Monday thing, Casey?ManInFlames

get with the times, man. i've already said "yes" twice.

#156 Posted by charizard1605 (54346 posts) -
Appealing your moderation? That process is a flipping joke, it has been for a few years now. The term 'moderation discretion' is used as a catchall to dodge any real substance to discussing the rationale behind moderations; the entire moderation process is so inconsistent it's not even funny, and with these rules that are SO VAGUE to begin with (and don't give me the 'we're still working them out' routine, if you are still working them out, then they have no business being enforced right away), the entire thing will fall apart at the seams. I'm glad you feel the new moderation process and ToU is great; unfortunately, it seems like just about everyone else disagrees with you. And since, as you yourself so rightly point out a number of times, Gamespot is a community driven site, it ultimately comes down to what the community, and not you, feels about it.
#157 Posted by CaseyWegner (70104 posts) -

Appealing your moderation? That process is a flipping joke, it has been for a few years now. The term 'moderation discretion' is used as a catchall to dodge any real substance to discussing the rationale behind moderations; the entire moderation process is so inconsistent it's not even funny, and with these rules that are SO VAGUE to begin with (and don't give me the 'we're still working them out' routine, if you are still working them out, then they have no business being enforced right away), the entire thing will fall apart at the seams. I'm glad you feel the new moderation process and ToU is great; unfortunately, it seems like just about everyone else disagrees with you. And since, as you yourself so rightly point out a number of times, Gamespot is a community driven site, it ultimately comes down to what the community, and not you, feels about it.charizard1605

i won't say anymore than that the joke that was the appeal system has been noticed by the right people.

i don't think the new tou is great. i think it's better. people are just scarred by the older, strict tou. i didn't like that old tou because of how strict it was. why would i like this new one if it was even more strict? it's closer to what people wanted in the survey than what they first got.

#158 Posted by charizard1605 (54346 posts) -

[QUOTE="charizard1605"]Appealing your moderation? That process is a flipping joke, it has been for a few years now. The term 'moderation discretion' is used as a catchall to dodge any real substance to discussing the rationale behind moderations; the entire moderation process is so inconsistent it's not even funny, and with these rules that are SO VAGUE to begin with (and don't give me the 'we're still working them out' routine, if you are still working them out, then they have no business being enforced right away), the entire thing will fall apart at the seams. I'm glad you feel the new moderation process and ToU is great; unfortunately, it seems like just about everyone else disagrees with you. And since, as you yourself so rightly point out a number of times, Gamespot is a community driven site, it ultimately comes down to what the community, and not you, feels about it.CaseyWegner

i won't say anymore than that the joke that was the appeal system has been noticed by the right people.

Sure. I'll believe something better is in the pipeline... when I see it, or at least am told more about it than vague hints.
#159 Posted by Jonwh18 (9350 posts) -

[QUOTE="charizard1605"]Appealing your moderation? That process is a flipping joke, it has been for a few years now. The term 'moderation discretion' is used as a catchall to dodge any real substance to discussing the rationale behind moderations; the entire moderation process is so inconsistent it's not even funny, and with these rules that are SO VAGUE to begin with (and don't give me the 'we're still working them out' routine, if you are still working them out, then they have no business being enforced right away), the entire thing will fall apart at the seams. I'm glad you feel the new moderation process and ToU is great; unfortunately, it seems like just about everyone else disagrees with you. And since, as you yourself so rightly point out a number of times, Gamespot is a community driven site, it ultimately comes down to what the community, and not you, feels about it.CaseyWegner

i don't think the new tou is great. i think it's better. people are just scarred by the older, strict tou. i didn't like that old tou because of how strict it was. why would i like this new one if it was even more strict? it's closer to what people wanted in the survey than what they first got.

Casey, you sound like super now, giving useless little hints so you sound in the know without really telling us what's going on. 

#160 Posted by CaseyWegner (70104 posts) -

[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

[QUOTE="charizard1605"]Appealing your moderation? That process is a flipping joke, it has been for a few years now. The term 'moderation discretion' is used as a catchall to dodge any real substance to discussing the rationale behind moderations; the entire moderation process is so inconsistent it's not even funny, and with these rules that are SO VAGUE to begin with (and don't give me the 'we're still working them out' routine, if you are still working them out, then they have no business being enforced right away), the entire thing will fall apart at the seams. I'm glad you feel the new moderation process and ToU is great; unfortunately, it seems like just about everyone else disagrees with you. And since, as you yourself so rightly point out a number of times, Gamespot is a community driven site, it ultimately comes down to what the community, and not you, feels about it.charizard1605

Sure. I'll believe something better is in the pipeline... when I see it, or at least am told more about it than vague hints.

i'd like to know more too but vague hints are all that's allowed to be said right now.

#161 Posted by charizard1605 (54346 posts) -

CaseyWegner

i'd like to know more too but vague hints are all that's allowed to be said right now.

Which is why you can hardly blame a general level of resentment among the users when they, the community, are being left out of the decision making process is what is, ostensibly, a community website.
#162 Posted by CaseyWegner (70104 posts) -

[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

[QUOTE="charizard1605"]Appealing your moderation? That process is a flipping joke, it has been for a few years now. The term 'moderation discretion' is used as a catchall to dodge any real substance to discussing the rationale behind moderations; the entire moderation process is so inconsistent it's not even funny, and with these rules that are SO VAGUE to begin with (and don't give me the 'we're still working them out' routine, if you are still working them out, then they have no business being enforced right away), the entire thing will fall apart at the seams. I'm glad you feel the new moderation process and ToU is great; unfortunately, it seems like just about everyone else disagrees with you. And since, as you yourself so rightly point out a number of times, Gamespot is a community driven site, it ultimately comes down to what the community, and not you, feels about it.Jonwh18

Casey, you sound like super now, giving useless little hints so you sound in the know without really telling us what's going on. 

:(

i suppose it would have been a good idea for everything to be finalized but i guess they felt giving previews was a good idea. i'd like to know more as well.

#163 Posted by CaseyWegner (70104 posts) -

[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

[QUOTE="charizard1605"]Sure. I'll believe something better is in the pipeline... when I see it, or at least am told more about it than vague hints.charizard1605

Which is why you can hardly blame a general level of resentment among the users when they, the community, are being left out of the decision making process is what is, ostensibly, a community website.

except...not really. just think of this as finally getting what was wanted in the survey. this is also a response to all the negative feedback about the previous tou.

#164 Posted by Jonwh18 (9350 posts) -

[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

[QUOTE="charizard1605"]Sure. I'll believe something better is in the pipeline... when I see it, or at least am told more about it than vague hints.charizard1605

#165 Posted by charizard1605 (54346 posts) -

CaseyWegner

except...not really. just think of this as finally getting what was wanted in the survey.

Except... I won't, because I only have your word for that and nothing more concrete.
#166 Posted by Jonwh18 (9350 posts) -

CaseyWegner

except...not really. just think of this as finally getting what was wanted in the survey.

A two year old survey. Let me ask you something. You went to college right? Heck you've even posted on SW which is more then enough for this question. Is a two year old source worth anything? Would you expect anyone to take you seriously with a two year old article? Why then, is this any different Casey?

#167 Posted by CaseyWegner (70104 posts) -

[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

[QUOTE="charizard1605"] Which is why you can hardly blame a general level of resentment among the users when they, the community, are being left out of the decision making process is what is, ostensibly, a community website.charizard1605

Except... I won't, because I only have your word for that and nothing more concrete.

have i ever lied to you? :)

edit: and the new tou is a response to all the negative feedback about the previous tou.

#168 Posted by charizard1605 (54346 posts) -

CaseyWegner

edit: and the new tou is a response to all the negative feedback about the previous tou.

I give up. I know you're incredibly smart, which makes it pretty clear you're intentionally trying to infuriate me, or anyone else who might be expressing any dissent, by leading the conversation around in circles. You might have the energy to do this all day, and hell, it's clear from this thread that you do, but I don't. So have fun with your new ToU and watch as the site loses its readership, either because of how ridiculous it is, or because people won't stand for it. Have fun.
#169 Posted by CaseyWegner (70104 posts) -

[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

[QUOTE="charizard1605"] Which is why you can hardly blame a general level of resentment among the users when they, the community, are being left out of the decision making process is what is, ostensibly, a community website.Jonwh18

A two year old survey. Let me ask you something. You went to college right? Heck you've even posted on SW which is more then enough for this question. Is a two year old source worth anything? Would you expect anyone to take you seriously with a two year old article? Why then, is this any different Casey?

well, do you still think the older tou was too strict? should it have been lightened up without being borderline anarchy? if your answer is yes then the survey results are still relevant.

#170 Posted by CaseyWegner (70104 posts) -

[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

[QUOTE="charizard1605"] Except... I won't, because I only have your word for that and nothing more concrete.charizard1605

I give up. I know you're incredibly smart, which makes it pretty clear you're intentionally trying to infuriate me, or anyone else who might be expressing any dissent, by leading the conversation around in circles. You might have the energy to do this all day, and hell, it's clear from this thread that you do, but I don't. So have fun with your new ToU and watch as the site loses its readership, either because of how ridiculous it is, or because people won't stand for it. Have fun.

i'm just in a bad position of knowing more than i'm allowed to say.

#171 Posted by charizard1605 (54346 posts) -

CaseyWegner

Cool.
#172 Posted by Jonwh18 (9350 posts) -

[QUOTE="Jonwh18"]

[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

CaseyWegner

well, do you still think the older tou was too strict? should it have been lightened up without being borderline anarchy? if your answer is yes then the survey results are still relevant.

I'm not in a position to answer that. Because I'm not going to pretend that I'm in the know when I'm not Casey. I can't speak for the entire Gamespot community. 

#173 Posted by CaseyWegner (70104 posts) -

[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

[QUOTE="charizard1605"]I give up. I know you're incredibly smart, which makes it pretty clear you're intentionally trying to infuriate me, or anyone else who might be expressing any dissent, by leading the conversation around in circles. You might have the energy to do this all day, and hell, it's clear from this thread that you do, but I don't. So have fun with your new ToU and watch as the site loses its readership, either because of how ridiculous it is, or because people won't stand for it. Have fun.charizard1605

Cool.

you're still my favorite sheep. :cry:

#174 Posted by Jonwh18 (9350 posts) -

CaseyWegner

Cool.

you're still my favorite sheep. :cry:

The farm animal name calling is hate speech and is strictly forbidden under the new TOU casey.

#175 Posted by JohnSalt (2 posts) -
New rules already? I best behave then.
#176 Posted by Cheleman (7606 posts) -

Casey, look what you've done ^

You've made poor unstable Charizard create yet ANOTHER alt because of that stupid discussion you two had. I hope it was worth it.

#177 Posted by Jonwh18 (9350 posts) -

Casey, look what you've done ^

You've made poor unstable Charizard create yet ANOTHER alt because of that stupid discussion you two had. I hope it was worth it.

Cheleman

lol'd 

EDIT: Did you know That charizard and I  are the same person along with Brofists? 

#178 Posted by Badosh (12725 posts) -
I know, but I don't know if you know that I know about not being able to say I know that we all know more than we should say. You know?
#179 Posted by carlisledavid79 (10502 posts) -

CaseyWegner

Ah so next monday is THE monday? (that all will be revealed) :P
#180 Posted by CaseyWegner (70104 posts) -

[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

[QUOTE="charizard1605"]I give up. I know you're incredibly smart, which makes it pretty clear you're intentionally trying to infuriate me, or anyone else who might be expressing any dissent, by leading the conversation around in circles. You might have the energy to do this all day, and hell, it's clear from this thread that you do, but I don't. So have fun with your new ToU and watch as the site loses its readership, either because of how ridiculous it is, or because people won't stand for it. Have fun.carlisledavid79

Ah so next monday is THE monday? (that all will be revealed) :P

i think next monday will be a monday like any other monday.

#181 Posted by CaseyWegner (70104 posts) -

I know, but I don't know if you know that I know about not being able to say I know that we all know more than we should say. You know? Badosh

I don't know half of you half as well as I should like; and I like less than half of you half as well as you deserve.

#182 Posted by NameIess_One (559 posts) -

So... just got moderated, warning only, no point loss, etc.

Is this new ToU in full effect, meaning I already spent one of those three lives?

#183 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (12759 posts) -

Is this new ToU in full effect, meaning I already spent one of those three lives?

NameIess_One

You have one more offense before your short vaction.  So you are allowed to commit 2 horrible acts of treason within 60 days

#184 Posted by NameIess_One (559 posts) -

[QUOTE="NameIess_One"]

ReadingRainbow4

You have one more offense before your short vaction.  So you are allowed to commit 2 horrible acts of treason within 60 days

I'll be suprised if I last till the end of next week.

#185 Posted by CaseyWegner (70104 posts) -

lol...quoting offensive content. first legitimate moderation i've had in almost two years. :P

#186 Posted by NameIess_One (559 posts) -

lol...quoting offensive content. first legitimate moderation i've had in almost two years. :P

CaseyWegner

You, of all people?

Well, at least someone shares my pain! :P

But quoting... that's tame. I wrote some of my own offensive content, beat that!

#187 Posted by Tessellation (8791 posts) -

NameIess_One
you have 2 lives left.
#188 Posted by CaseyWegner (70104 posts) -

[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

NameIess_One

You, of all people?

Well, at least someone shares my pain! :P

But quoting... that's tame. I wrote some of my own offensive content, beat that!

it was from 4 days ago so i don't think it counts towards the three strikes rule. i wasn't sure what was acceptable under that whacky, lenient tou.

#189 Posted by ManInFlames (77 posts) -

CaseyWegner
Yeah same here. Shouldn't count towards the "3 strikes" since it was like a week ago...
#190 Posted by bbkkristian (14727 posts) -
Is calling someone an idiot moddable?
#191 Posted by lundy86_4 (42618 posts) -

Is calling someone an idiot moddable?bbkkristian

At this point, assume the old ToU is the one we use, with a different moderation method.

#192 Posted by bbkkristian (14727 posts) -

[QUOTE="bbkkristian"]Is calling someone an idiot moddable?lundy86_4

At this point, assume the old ToU is the one we use, with a different moderation method.

So, yes. Darn, how are we to deal with TheKingIAm now??
#193 Posted by lundy86_4 (42618 posts) -

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

[QUOTE="bbkkristian"]Is calling someone an idiot moddable?bbkkristian

So, yes. Darn, how are we to deal with TheKingIAm now??

Under the recent ToU, i'd do unspeakable things... Like, give him a hug... Mod incoming.

#194 Posted by Ballroompirate (21589 posts) -

Pretty sure it's moddable, if it's anything like the old ToU then yea....it's gonna be hard to not call out the "bads" while they reign supreme over the forums again.

#195 Posted by bbkkristian (14727 posts) -

[QUOTE="bbkkristian"]Is calling someone an idiot moddable?Ballroompirate

Pretty sure it's moddable, if it's anything like the old ToU then yea....it's gonna be hard to not call out the "bads" while they reign supreme over the forums again.

Oh boy. Can we at least say "Are you suspended/banned yet?" :P
#196 Posted by super600 (29944 posts) -

Yes!It is moddable the last time I checked.

#197 Posted by ManInFlames (77 posts) -
[QUOTE="Ballroompirate"]

[QUOTE="bbkkristian"]Is calling someone an idiot moddable?bbkkristian

Oh boy. Can we at least say "Are you suspended/banned yet?" :P

if thekingiam finds it offensive then its not allowed, unfortunately
#198 Posted by Tessellation (8791 posts) -

[QUOTE="bbkkristian"]Is calling someone an idiot moddable?super600

moron is actually more *offensive* than idiot if you trully look what people tries to insinuate when they call you that..so calling someone a moron is also moddable ?

#199 Posted by super600 (29944 posts) -

[QUOTE="super600"]

[QUOTE="bbkkristian"]Is calling someone an idiot moddable?Tessellation

moron is actually more *offensive* than idiot if you trully look what people tries to insinuate when they call you that..so calling someone a moron is also moddable ?

Moron is moddable, but this depends on the context of the post.

#200 Posted by mitu123 (153911 posts) -

[QUOTE="bbkkristian"]Is calling someone an idiot moddable?super600

Wow this place is gonna be tame as hell.