Im sorry, but the Wii ruined Nintendo

• 104 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for DarthaPerkinjan
DarthaPerkinjan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 0

#1 DarthaPerkinjan
Member since 2005 • 1318 Posts

I laugh everytime somebody says the Wii won last gen.

All it "won" was number of units sold. And it did that because the product was the 'Tickle me Elmo' of electronic devices for a couple of years. Every casual had to have it, not because it was any good, but because of the hype.

Best and most games? 360 and PS3 had more.

Best online service? 360 and PS3 were far better.

Motion controls? The 360 and PS3 both countered with motion controls just as good if not better.

The Wii ruined Nintendo because they forever lost the core gamer. They sold their soul to the casual devil. They will never be able to recover from that. The problem is the casuals don't care for Nintendo consoles anymore. They've moved on to cell phone games or Nintendo handhelds. Nintendo has no market left to sell consoles to. Without the 'tickle me elmo' buzz the Wii U is being exposed like the Wii should have been: an underpowered system with few games loaded to the teeth with gimmicks and poor online.

Nintendo did not win last gen. All they did was dig their own grave with the Wii. With the Wii U they've now lied down in it. If the make another console it will likely be 10,000 lbs of concrete poured on top of that grave unless many, many things change.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#2 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts

@DarthaPerkinjan said:

I laugh everythime somebody denies it.

I'm sorry, you're a clown.

DarthaPerkinjan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 DarthaPerkinjan

@millerlight89 said:

@DarthaPerkinjan said:

What did it win besides units sold?

It was FAR behind in anything WORTHWHILE

Its like saying whichever movie has the highest box office is the best. Im sorry, but your a clown

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts

@DarthaPerkinjan said:

@millerlight89 said:

@DarthaPerkinjan said:

Its like saying whichever movie has the highest box office is the best. Im sorry, but your a clown

First off, it's you're.

You're proving my point.

It won in sales, that's what counts here. We place platforms in 1st, 2nd, 3rd based off of that aspect. Don't like it? Get over it.

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Jakandsigz
Member since 2013 • 6341 Posts

@DarthaPerkinjan said:

@millerlight89 said:

@DarthaPerkinjan said:

They seem to have probably the most fact avoidng rabbid fanbase that neither of the other two companies have along with being second in most money brought in and first in most pocket money.

I mean money is the whole thing right? There you go. Sales help to. What killed Nintendo was depending on outside forces to stay with their consoles.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#6  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

what ruined Nintendo was when the N64 flopped. They never came back from that one and it only got worse when Iwata took over and Miyamoto gained more power within the company. Because then Miyamoto forced his archaic and often wrong ideas on business decisions that Iwata supported.

But just because Miyamoto makes good games doesn't mean he knows how to lead a company and Iwata's just too soft and gullible. The Wii selling what it did was nothing but a fluke but thank god it's over.

wiifan001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 35

#7 wiifan001
Member since 2007 • 18660 Posts

@millerlight89 said:

@DarthaPerkinjan said:

@millerlight89 said:

@DarthaPerkinjan said:

First off, it's you're.

You're proving my point.

It won in sales, that's what counts here. We place platforms in 1st, 2nd, 3rd based off of that aspect. Don't like it? Get over it.

Correct, it won because of sales.

Regardless, Wii had motion controls and use of motion controls than Kinect and PS Move.

Wii had the best library anyway

DarthaPerkinjan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By DarthaPerkinjan

@millerlight89 said:

@DarthaPerkinjan said:

@millerlight89 said:

@DarthaPerkinjan said:

First off, it's you're.

You're proving my point.

That's not the main point anyway. The main point is people say Nintendo won last gen with a console that ultimately set up their demise.

Can you say a pyrrhic victory?

That's my point. In order to create a console to outsell the other two by a much as it did they needed to do something that put their entire future as a hardware company in jeopardy. They lost the core gamer forever.

Avatar image for deactivated-58c8ef5f8044e
deactivated-58c8ef5f8044e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-58c8ef5f8044e
Member since 2012 • 546 Posts

Gamecube says hi.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#10 Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

The way I see it

-Most units sold: Wii

highest number of quality games: PS3 and 360

Best exclusives: Wii

Best online: 360

Best use of motion controls: Wii (even if the tech in the other two companies' motion controls were better, they didn't utilize this control method anywhere near as well as Nintendo did with games like Metroid Prime 3 and Skyward Sword)

Nengo_Flow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Nengo_Flow
Member since 2011 • 10644 Posts

Nah it was the N64 and GameCube flopping that left them with no choice but to go a different rout.

DarthaPerkinjan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 DarthaPerkinjan

@Pikminmaniac said:

The way I see it

Best use of motion controls: Wii (even if the tech in the other two companies' motion controls were better, they didn't utilize this control method anywhere near as well as Nintendo did with games like Metroid Prime 3 and Skyward Sword)

Hard to say a console had the best exclusives when its graphics where compared to previous gen (Xbox) visuals only "turbocharged". The Mario Galaxy games were supremely overrated. I played them and that's the truth. Sunshine and Mario 64 were both better.

Hard to say the Wii's visually restrictive exclusive titles outnumbered and were better then these PS3 exclusives, not to mention the 360 and PS3 both hammered the Wii badly in 3rd party titles. Please take time to note the new IPs, not tired Nintendo rehashes

Beyond: 2 Souls

God of War III

Gran Turismo 5

Gran Turismo 6

Heavy Rain

Infamous

Infamous 2

Killzone 2

Killzone 3

Little Big Planet

Little Big Planet 2

Metal Gear Solid 4

Resistance Fall of Man

Resistance 2

Resistance 3

The Last of Us

Uncharted

Uncharted 2

Uncharted 3

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#13  Edited By Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

@DarthaPerkinjan said:

@Pikminmaniac said:

The way I see it

Hard to say a console had the best exclusives when its graphics where compared to previous gen (Xbox) visuals only "turbocharged". The Mario Galaxy games were supremely overrated. I played them and that's the truth. Sunshine and Mario 64 were both better.

Hard to say the Wii's visually restrictive exclusive titles outnumbered and were better then these PS3 exclusives, not to mention the 360 and PS3 both hammered the Wii badly in 3rd party titles. Please take time to note the new IPs, not tired Nintendo rehashes

Beyond: 2 Souls

God of War III

Gran Turismo 5

Gran Turismo 6

Heavy Rain

Infamous

Infamous 2

Killzone 2

Killzone 3

Little Big Planet

Little Big Planet 2

Metal Gear Solid 4

Resistance Fall of Man

Resistance 2

Resistance 3

The Last of Us

Uncharted

Uncharted 2

Uncharted 3

Please note that Nintendo's "old and tired" franchises manage to be more inventive and creative than the vast majority of the games you've listed and happen to trounce almost every one of those titles in terms of gameplay and level design... I feel Sony's first party are severely overrated, but that's probably because I care more about gameplay and level design than story and presentation. Gameplay and level design tend to be Sony's weakest aspects.

Jakandsigz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Jakandsigz
Member since 2013 • 6341 Posts

On top of your very odd thread being wrong, the PS3 did not have more games than the Wii.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#15  Edited By k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

no, nintendo ruined nintendo with their outdated logic

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#16  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

It also had some of the highest rated games of the entire gen on Metacritic. Higher than pretty much any Xbox 360 or PS3 exclusive.

Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts

Wii definitely won last generation because its based on sales. By OP logic, PS2 would have lost the gen before even though it outsold everythign combined.

hotdiddykong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By hotdiddykong
Member since 2007 • 2099 Posts

No matter what you say and no matter how you feel, the Wii Ultimately saved Nintendo. and it had amazing great games that didnt get a chance to shine.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#19 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

@DarthaPerkinjan said:

@millerlight89 said:

@DarthaPerkinjan said:

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

Top 30 All Time Highest Scoring on Metacritic from this gen:

#5: Grand Theft Auto IV (98) - 360
#6: Super Mario Galaxy (97) - Wii
#7: Super Mario Galaxy 2 (97) - Wii
#8: Grand Theft Auto V (97) - 360
#9: Grand Theft Auto V (97) - PS3
#18: Out of the Park Baseball 2007 (96) - PC
#19: BioShock (96) - 360
#21: Uncharted 2: Among Thieves (96) - PS3
#23: The Orange Box (96) - 360
#24: The Orange Box (96) - PC
#25: Batman: Arkham City (96) - PS3
#27: Mass Effect 2 (96) - 360
#29: The Elder Scrolls V: Skyrim (96) - 360

Exclusives are highlighted.

Avatar image for deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#21  Edited By deactivated-5c8ff6a32bb23
Member since 2012 • 3185 Posts

TC is butthurt with Nintendo's successful Wii.

Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#22 Demonjoe93
Member since 2009 • 9869 Posts

Well, maybe if more "hardcore" gamers had bought the N64 and GameCube, Nintendo wouldn't have gone "casual" (still an ambiguous term, in my opinion).

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#23  Edited By Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

"Hurr nintendos games are stale"

*proceeds to list a bunch of uncharted, god of war, killzone, and resistance sequels

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#24  Edited By MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

I tend to agree with the TC here, even though I don't necessarily agree with his some of his reasoning. The Wii dominated in sales, I don't deny this. But regardless, Nintendo was suffering from the same stubborn attitude, the same lack of foresight, and the same problems back then that are now catching up to them as the years pass on.

The Wii was very much in a sense the "tickle me Elmo/Tamogachi" of its time, so much so that all other failings Nintendo didn't/refused to address during the Wii's reign were left to fester and grow and I think that's becoming more apparent as we're watching Nintendo now make blunder after blunder from those same exact issues stemming from years ago. They're not so easy to hide when there's not a waterfall of cash in front of them. Then, when the furor of the Wii finally wore off and the torrent of cash lessened, the weight of those mistakes and Nintendo's inability and/or unwillingness to rectify at the proper time dropped hard on their head, and came into focus to all, and we are currently witnessing the consequences today.

Let's look at the facts. While the Wii was flying off the shelves and gave Nintendo all that money, they:

....refused to invest to overhaul their online infrastructure to bring it up to date. Did nothing to prepare for the hurdles HD development would bring. Did not reinvest all that profit into growing their business to create new studios at a crucial time so as to be ready for the Wii's successor. Did nothing to improve their marketing. Seemingly remained uninterested into putting a serious attempt at garnering 3rd party support. Insisted to remain safe and conservative as possible.

Then, when demand has subsided and two years before the Wii U hits they decided to yank support for the Wii, sat on their laurels doing none of the above, then made another system with a Wii-like selling point. They then threw it out on the market charging an exorbitant amount of money for what it offered, gambling that they could coast off the Wii's brand-name alone, not taking into account that the casuals had moved on/and or was left confused, nor the fact that core gamers who supported them before the Wii felt betrayed and consequently laughed at them considering what was expected in this day and age (things that MS and Sony worked on improving during the Wii's successful years). Nintendo was then left hanging over a pissed off core with no casuals to take up the slack, with their system utilizing features stuck YEARS in the past. Add to this Nintendo's current philosophies, Japan oriented view, head-in-the-sand attitude, and mix in some arrogance and hubris to boot and I see nothing but oncoming disaster.

Considering all of the above, yes, I believe the Wii did in fact hurt them. While the bottom line has shown that the Wii has not ruined Nintendo financially, quite the contrary, I've nevertheless come to view it to be a short-sighted venture to grab as much capital as possible, which through its enormous success enabled Nintendo to ignore and disregard (or mask through inability to predict what would happen) various factors that would continue to make them successful in the long-term and are now biting them in the ass and causing them to be the laughing stock in many gamers' eyes today.

I believe Nintendo's issues stem largely from a lack a foresight (and to a certain degree laziness fed through arrogance), and the Wii's success only exacerbated this.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

You're not sorry...... YOU'RE NOT SORRY AT ALL!!!!

ActicEdge

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 ActicEdge
Member since 2008 • 24492 Posts

I think it was good for the industry and I loved the games. Oh noes, the world is coming to an end!!11!!! Or you could stop being a brat and let other people have their opinion TC. Your choice.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52424 Posts

I WILL buy you Saint's Row 4 if you buy me a Wii

FireEmblem_Man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 FireEmblem_Man
Member since 2004 • 20248 Posts

People, like the TC, are fucking idiots when it comes to discussion about Nintendo’s business. Much of this is done deliberately through Game Industry kool-aid.

mrintro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By mrintro
Member since 2004 • 1354 Posts

Nintendo is doing what it needs to do to survive. There are already two hardcore co soles out there and also the n64 and GC didn't sell that great.

crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

Eh, i hated the motion controls too but Nintendo has to do something different and it worked out for them pretty well.

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#33  Edited By GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

I get it, there is no consensus about what decides a gen's "winner"

Except there is. It has been discussed so much. Sales are really the only measure. The wii sold the most hardware and software by far last gen. The "winner" doesn't go to the system that the most reviewers or journalists preferred. That's too subjective.

The winner can only be objectively call a winner. The only objective measure is sales. If superior online, superior motion sensing, superior demographics, superior metacritic, and all those other ways that you've decided that the 360/ps3 were better, then it would have translated into sales, and it did, but not enough to overcome what made the wii special. More people preferred the wii. Simple as that. Wii was the winner

crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

@GunSmith1_basic said:

Except there is. It has been discussed so much. Sales are really the only measure. The wii sold the most hardware and software by far last gen. The "winner" doesn't go to the system that the most reviewers or journalists preferred. That's too subjective.

The winner can only be objectively call a winner. The only objective measure is sales. If superior online, superior motion sensing, superior demographics, superior metacritic, and all those other ways that you've decided that the 360/ps3 were better, then it would have translated into sales, and it did, but not enough to overcome what made the wii special. More people preferred the wii. Simple as that. Wii was the winner

They also didnt pour billions into R&D, hardware losses, and online networks like the others one's did, and they didnt have expensive HD game development. They made billions while the other 2 lost billions, it was the right move for Nintendo.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 MirkoS77

@speak_low said:

The Wii U is the perfect example of everything bad catching up to this company. Core gamers don't care because they found a new home, and casuals don't either, because they were fed on cheap, shallow gaming. Once they had their share they were done, like scavengers. The flop sales of Wii U Fit and Wii U Party show this, and not to mention the Wii U sales itself being the ultimate flop.

Nintendo and Sheep had a dreamy hallucination where casuals would suddenly start gaming with Wii Sports, then graduate to more complex games, eventually playing Mass Effect and AC on Wii U, staying with Nintendo forever.

What a dumb idea. As you can see it never happened, and the Wii U is abandoned from all sides. Casuals, core and developers are ignoring this console. So what did the Wii win again?

Exactly. It won nothing but sales figures.

This pretty much sums up my feelings as well. Nintendo went for a fleeting audience in pursuit of immense profit at the expense of the core audience that, while not nearly as profitable in the short-term, sustains them in the long-term. I have a growing suspicion that the Wii will be looked back as one of the worst things to have happened to Nintendo, as the ramifications far extend past the Benjamin's. It doesn't matter how many billions the Wii made them, if it created underlying problems that persist long after its demise, than what good did it do, and how long will those billions last?

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

User Lists: 5

#38  Edited By PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

The system that sold extremely well and had an excellent library? Lol.

AHUGECAT

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#39 AHUGECAT
Member since 2006 • 8967 Posts

Nintendo really blew it with the Wii U. The Wii did what Sony and MS could never do - get after women. 30% of Wii users were female, compared to 5% on the Xbox 360 and PS3 (2010 numbers, North America only. Source: ESRB Video Game Industry Stats).

The Wii even had the most male users - 41% of males used the Wii primarily, 38% for the Xbox 360.

I work at Best Buy and people are still interested in Wii Sports. What Nintendo should have did was make a powerful system, not quite as powerful as the PS4 and One, but close. Maybe 4GB of system DDR3 RAM, 1GB GDDR5 825MHz Radeon card, a Power7 based CPU with 4 cores running at 3.0GHz, 256KB of L2 cache per core, 250GB hard drive, etc. etc. and used an updated Wii Mote. Launch with a new Wii Sports, advertise it like hell, and make it cost $299. Then think of something to get the casuals in, a new type of game.

But what they should have did before that in around 2010 is start Nintendo Network.Launch it in January 2010 instead of 2012. Just a user name and a friends list, didn't need to be to robust. Just to get established. Then with the Wii U (change the name too) get some key exclusives with the cash they have. Probably pick up Destiny and Kingdom Hearts III as exclusive, and some other smaller but popular franchises (Persona, Tales Of, Dead Rising, Mega Man, etc. etc.). Also get their big hits Super Mario 3D World, Pikmin 3, Mario Kart, and SSB out sooner. 3D World and Pikmin 3 before June 2013 and SSB and Mario Kart before December 2013. Also release a darn new IP.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

Pretty much. What Nintendo did is what some mmo devs do, make a mistake of pleasing the casuals over their core audience when its the hardcore/core crowd that not only makes them money the most, but stay from generation to generation and brings them a steady flow of cash. Nintendo is Nintendone.

DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

The Wii ruined Nintendo? In what regard? They spent the gen influencing Sony and Microsoft's business decisions, pumping out the best exclusives in the industry, and dominating the industry in sales.

The middle one is the most important, by the way, and in that regard, Nintendo killed it.

HarlockJC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 HarlockJC
Member since 2006 • 25546 Posts

There a large number of exclusives found on the WIi, that people are going to be talking about for years to come.

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#43 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

@speak_low said:

@GunSmith1_basic said:

If popularity is all that matters, then that means the most popular movie is the winner and the best that cinema offered that year, like Transformers and Twilight.

And, if you want to look at sales only, then Nintendo has lost 2 out of 3 matches when in competition with MS and Sony.

They lost in the Gamecube era (last place), won the Wii era, and lost the Wii U era (last place again - it's already a foregone conclusion here).

Sales is a simplistic ways of looking at things. Sheep use it to avoid the body of discussion of just how bad things are now for the Wii U, and it's pure laziness.

Lems and Cows talk about sales, and the PS4 and Xbox One are indeed selling extremely well, but they are also accomplishing a lot more things outside of that. They are keeping their core gamers and developer support, unlike stupid Nintendo, last place loser of 2 out of 3 matches.

well then according to you maybe the xbox won the generation against the PS2. Xbox games outclassed PS2 games in graphics. Xbox had online. Xbox had a hard drive. Xbox brought in a host of PC gaming experiences to console audiences. So why doe we all agree that the ps2 was the winner? Because of the better games? That's subjective. Imo, the xbox did have better games btw. So is it metascore? So game reviewers and journalists decide generation winners now?

Nonsense. The winner was the ps2. It crushed the other consoles. It defined the generation. How? The market impact. It was where gamers were.

You just have a snobbish opinion about the wii. You think that this argument is about games vs sales. Really? According to who? You and your friends? The wii outsold the ps3 and 360 in software extremely badly btw. That means more people were playing video games on the wii last gen than on other consoles. It wouldn't have crushed the HD twins in software sales if it were a gimmick.

You say that the wii audience was a disloyal group of casuals. Well then I guess the same can be said for the ps2 too. They abandoned Sony's ps3 as well.

All the anti-wii arguments in this thread are pure ignorance.

Wild_man_22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#44 Wild_man_22
Member since 2010 • 907 Posts

People didn't buy the gamecube. Why would Nintendo try to release another copy cat console?

Big_Pecks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#45 Big_Pecks
Member since 2010 • 5973 Posts

> Denies Wii won last gen
> Mentions that it sold most units.

It also owns the two highest rated exclusives.

NaveedLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 NaveedLife
Member since 2010 • 17179 Posts

@Nengo_Flow said:

Nah it was the N64 and GameCube flopping that left them with no choice but to go a different rout.

It's Nintendo's fault for not realizing their mistakes need not be corrected by changing everything entirely and catering to another audience, but rather by fixing slight issues. Basically, get with the times. Give us Discs. Give us a DVD player. Give us onilne (good online). Give us HD. Don't make your controller a 3 pronged beast. Don't make your console a lunchbox. Don't make your console considerably weaker than the rest. And for ***** sake, get third party support.

Nintendo always made mistakes from the N64 on. The Wii succeeded because of the hype and the novel idea of motion controls. With all that said, Nintendo never personally failed me until they released the Wii. Even then, it is not necessarily a system without reason to own. It has some great games, as does the WiiU (which I may buy later on).

Seabas989

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#47  Edited By Seabas989
Member since 2009 • 13565 Posts

I'm in the minority in stating that the WIi's library was good. Granted it missed out on lots of multiplats and had it's droughts (which the N64 and GC had too) but there are some great exclusives and some interesting and different games on it.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By MirkoS77

@GunSmith1_basic said:

@speak_low said:

well then according to you maybe the xbox won the generation against the PS2. Xbox games outclassed PS2 games in graphics. Xbox had online. Xbox had a hard drive. Xbox brought in a host of PC gaming experiences to console audiences. So why doe we all agree that the ps2 was the winner? Because of the better games? That's subjective. Imo, the xbox did have better games btw. So is it metascore? So game reviewers and journalists decide generation winners now?

Nonsense. The winner was the ps2. It crushed the other consoles. It defined the generation. How? The market impact. It was where gamers were.

You just have a snobbish opinion about the wii. You think that this argument is about games vs sales. Really? According to who? You and your friends? The wii outsold the ps3 and 360 in software extremely badly btw. That means more people were playing video games on the wii last gen than on other consoles. It wouldn't have crushed the HD twins in software sales if it were a gimmick.

You say that the wii audience was a disloyal group of casuals. Well then I guess the same can be said for the ps2 too. They abandoned Sony's ps3 as well.

All the anti-wii arguments in this thread are pure ignorance.

This topic is about whether the Wii has ultimately influenced Nintendo and led them in a direction and with an attitude that has led to their current struggles with the Wii U and any other future endevours they pursue. You are the one who is ignorant if you lay nothing but praise at the Wii's feet without taking many other considerations into account that were happening during the Wii's time that are now heavily detrimental to Nintendo's present position. Doing so is not only ignorant, it's a myopic viewpoint.

kemar7856

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 kemar7856
Member since 2004 • 11783 Posts

they're in trouble with the wii U because they failed to add a decent online service and hardware developers want to work with. If nintendo had both of these in the begining coming off the wii's success you would see developers like EA supporting it I dont know why ubisoft does

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29824 Posts

@DarthaPerkinjan said:

@millerlight89 said:

@DarthaPerkinjan said:

Yawn. 0/10