Im really confused about the lair reviews...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Stealth-Hawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Stealth-Hawk
Member since 2004 • 109 Posts

Ok, so EGM gave LAIR 5-6. Which basically ends up being a 50-60% score. However, Play magazine gave LAIR a 90%.

EGM basically complained about the sixaxis controller while Play magazine praised the game for its graphics, music, gameplay, and made a small mention that the controls take some getting USED to.

I remember when EGM gave The Darkness a 6 because "I was annoyed with finding the signs in the street". Is it possible that EGM were just too lazy to figure out the controls, got frusterated, and therefore gave the game a bad review?

I just dont understand how Play can give it a 90%, and its been praised by gaming websites for being "epic" in their previews with a EGM score like that. Heck, even 1up (part EGM) praised it in their preview for being epic.

*Discuss*

PS - Noone but that single person has seen the EGM scores, which I find a bit strange.

Kinitari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 Kinitari
Member since 2005 • 3472 Posts
Controls seem to be making or breaking this game - some people love it, and some people hate it... I have a feeling this is going to be a 'love it or hate it' game in general. Making reviews even more pointless.
-Ninja_Dog-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 -Ninja_Dog-
Member since 2005 • 4197 Posts

Its fake.

They never show the Bioshock score when they give the different scores and stuff.

So I call fake.

Lair prably gets 8.5 all around

Kinitari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Kinitari

Its fake.

They never show the Bioshock score when they give the different scores and stuff.

So I call fake.

-Ninja_Dog-

Are you sure bioshock was supposed to be this month?... Well I guess if it wasn't this month, it would be like 2 weeks late.
-Ninja_Dog-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 -Ninja_Dog-

Controls seem to be making or breaking this game - some people love it, and some people hate it... I have a feeling this is going to be a 'love it or hate it' game in general. Making reviews even more pointless.Kinitari

Again not sureif this is real but they should give you the option as to how you can control your dragon and stuff.

deathtrap90

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 deathtrap90
Member since 2003 • 765 Posts
Gamepro gave it a 3.75/5 for the controls as well,so its not just EGM.
-Ninja_Dog-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 -Ninja_Dog-
[QUOTE="-Ninja_Dog-"]

Its fake.

So I call fake.

Kinitari

Are you sure bioshock was supposed to be this month?... Well I guess if it wasn't this month, it would be like 2 weeks late.

Yeah I have the August issue right here and on page 97 It states Bioshock review along with Blue Dragon, Lair ,Madden and Stuntman Ignition.

OldParr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 OldParr
Member since 2006 • 2996 Posts
why people are making a big deal about this.for me the game looks horrible but if it is appealing to you just go and get it.dont rely on reviews that will influence the decision of playing a game or not
anshuk20002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 anshuk20002
Member since 2004 • 3523 Posts
[QUOTE="Kinitari"][QUOTE="-Ninja_Dog-"]

Its fake.

So I call fake.

-Ninja_Dog-

Yeah I have the August issue right here and on page 97 It states Bioshock review along with Blue Dragon, Lair ,Madden and Stuntman Ignition.

yah and those reviews at neogaf forum showed no scans. hmmmmmmmmmmmmm

-Ninja_Dog-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 -Ninja_Dog-

They say "Our review crew will also tell you if bucking-dragon adventure Lair for the PS3 soars or spirals out of waggling control"

Kinitari

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Kinitari
[QUOTE="Kinitari"][QUOTE="-Ninja_Dog-"]

Its fake.

So I call fake.

-Ninja_Dog-

Then thats weird =/ well im not going to jump on the 'its a fake' bandwagon yet.
kcm_117

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 kcm_117
Member since 2004 • 2081 Posts
well play gave sonic on the xbox 360 an 85%.....i dont trust them
Stealth-Hawk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Stealth-Hawk
Member since 2004 • 109 Posts

well play gave sonic on the xbox 360 an 85%.....i dont trust themkcm_117

True, but to be fair, Lair review had a different person than Sonic.

crystos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 crystos
Member since 2003 • 1040 Posts

Ok, so EGM gave LAIR 5-6. Which basically ends up being a 50-60% score. However, Play magazine gave LAIR a 90%.

EGM basically complained about the sixaxis controller while Play magazine praised the game for its graphics, music, gameplay, and made a small mention that the controls take some getting USED to.

I remember when EGM gave The Darkness a 6 because "I was annoyed with finding the signs in the street". Is it possible that EGM were just too lazy to figure out the controls, got frusterated, and therefore gave the game a bad review?

I just dont understand how Play can give it a 90%, and its been praised by gaming websites for being "epic" in their previews with a EGM score like that. Heck, even 1up (part EGM) praised it in their preview for being epic.

*Discuss*

PS - Noone but that single person has seen the EGM scores, which I find a bit strange.

Stealth-Hawk
I don't trust play mag reviews. that mag also praised spartna total warrior fo rit's sweet graphics and varied gamepley. I have that game and the graphics stink and the gameplay ain't varied
Limbutus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Limbutus
Member since 2007 • 42 Posts

if you ask me it'll get a 6 or 7

majadamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#16 majadamus
Member since 2003 • 10292 Posts
I agree with EGM's reviews most of the time. I wasn't ever excited about Lair anyways. Cows, prepare for HUGE FLOPPAGE once Gamespot reviews Lair. :)
Limbutus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Limbutus
Member since 2007 • 42 Posts

I agree with EGM's reviews most of the time. I wasn't ever excited about Lair anyways. Cows, prepare for HUGE FLOPPAGE once Gamespot reviews Lair. :) majadamus

floppage yes but HUGE FLOPPAGE ?

:lol:

this is not MGS4 or KZ2

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60721 Posts
GS is the one that matters
InsaneBasura

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 InsaneBasura
Member since 2005 • 12591 Posts

[QUOTE="kcm_117"]well play gave sonic on the xbox 360 an 85%.....i dont trust themStealth-Hawk

True, but to be fair, Lair review had a different person than Sonic.

But you just said

"I remember when EGM gave The Darkness a 6 because "I was annoyed with finding the signs in the street". Is it possible that EGM were just too lazy to figure out the controls, got frusterated, and therefore gave the game a bad review?"

without bothering to find out if that was reviewed by a different person. They rated The Darkness 8/10 btw, not 6. One of the reviewers gave it a 6.5 and did complain about ridiculous stuff like that. Michael. He did not review Lair.

As far as I'm concerned Play is the less credible of the two. They gave vampire Rain JPN a 7.5 and the US version a 6... They gave Sonic who knows what and then revised it to 8.5 cause they discovered it had long load times after they had published the review... It's not just about the ridiculously high score.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#20 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

*Discuss*

Stealth-Hawk

I can't vouch for the authenticity of the EGM scores but I will tell you this:

PLAY MAGAZINE BLOWS. They always overrate games. If it was anymore unreadable than it is now it would be called Gamepro.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

[QUOTE="majadamus"]I agree with EGM's reviews most of the time. I wasn't ever excited about Lair anyways. Cows, prepare for HUGE FLOPPAGE once Gamespot reviews Lair. :) Limbutus

this is not MGS4 or KZ2

Lair Flopping will be a huge deal. It was heavily hyped when it was introduced and it is one of the PS3's most anticipated titles.
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#22 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
its just like the SSX Blur reviews for Wii -- it got mixed reviews. I say try the game out for yourself, and decide if you want it (Rent it is what i mean, if u like, buy it)
ragrdoll21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ragrdoll21
Member since 2006 • 6048 Posts
Gamepro gave it a 3.75/5 for the controls as well,so its not just EGM.deathtrap90
We don't speak of "gamePRO" here!:P
ragrdoll21

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 ragrdoll21
Member since 2006 • 6048 Posts
[QUOTE="Limbutus"]

[QUOTE="majadamus"]I agree with EGM's reviews most of the time. I wasn't ever excited about Lair anyways. Cows, prepare for HUGE FLOPPAGE once Gamespot reviews Lair. :) heretrix

this is not MGS4 or KZ2

Lair Flopping will be a huge deal. It was heavily hyped when it was introduced and it is one of the PS3's most anticipated titles.

It has a AA hype...MGS4 is at AAA .
haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#25 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
[QUOTE="heretrix"][QUOTE="Limbutus"]

[QUOTE="majadamus"]I agree with EGM's reviews most of the time. I wasn't ever excited about Lair anyways. Cows, prepare for HUGE FLOPPAGE once Gamespot reviews Lair. :) ragrdoll21

this is not MGS4 or KZ2

Point being is that its one of the PS3's most anticpated titles of 2007, even if its hyped AA.

aznfool07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 aznfool07
Member since 2005 • 3552 Posts
[QUOTE="ragrdoll21"][QUOTE="heretrix"][QUOTE="Limbutus"]

[QUOTE="majadamus"]I agree with EGM's reviews most of the time. I wasn't ever excited about Lair anyways. Cows, prepare for HUGE FLOPPAGE once Gamespot reviews Lair. :) Haziqonfire

this is not MGS4 or KZ2

Point being is that its one of the PS3's most anticpated titles of 2007, even if its hyped AA.

You have to admit the hype for Lair kind of died down. You don't see "ZOMG LAIR" posts anymore.

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

EGM is a tough cookie to crack. They are less forgiving of a games faults.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Bread_or_Decide
[QUOTE="ragrdoll21"][QUOTE="heretrix"][QUOTE="Limbutus"]

[QUOTE="majadamus"]I agree with EGM's reviews most of the time. I wasn't ever excited about Lair anyways. Cows, prepare for HUGE FLOPPAGE once Gamespot reviews Lair. :) Haziqonfire

this is not MGS4 or KZ2

It is. Anyone that says different is in denial.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Bread_or_Decide

its just like the SSX Blur reviews for Wii -- it got mixed reviews. I say try the game out for yourself, and decide if you want it (Rent it is what i mean, if u like, buy it)Haziqonfire

Wow awii ownerextending the olive branchto a flop PS3 game? Thats gotta be a system wars first.

majadamus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

#30 majadamus
Member since 2003 • 10292 Posts

Bread_or_Decide

EGM knows good games.

Avatar image for Smoke_ManMuscle
Smoke_ManMuscle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Smoke_ManMuscle
Member since 2007 • 651 Posts
It's Factor 5, people. They make pretty games, not games with deep gameplay. It's not surprising that their game flopped.
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Bread_or_Decide
[QUOTE="Bread_or_Decide"]

majadamus

EGM knows good games.

Until they flop a game on your favorite console.

I enjoy their extremely high standards. I mean someones gotta do the dirty work but to only read EGM would also be a mistake. They hated Killzone Liberation, others didn't, I loved it. So ya just gotta remember not to take them as scripture all of the time.

Trading_Zoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#33 Trading_Zoner
Member since 2007 • 4100 Posts

Where is the proof of the EGM review people???

Wanderer5

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#34 Wanderer5
Member since 2006 • 25727 Posts

well play gave sonic on the xbox 360 an 85%.....i dont trust themkcm_117

It was 95% actually.

Avatar image for deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#35 deactivated-5f9e3c6a83e51
Member since 2004 • 57548 Posts
Reviews are by nature, arbitrary. That's why I usually wait for the GS review because I like their standards.