I'm glad that games are getting easier.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

The_Capitalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 17

User Lists: 0

#1 The_Capitalist
Member since 2004 • 10838 Posts

I, for one, want my games to be as easy as possible. For that, I am thankful that developers understand this, and are making games easier and more manageable with regenerating health, the ability to reload checkpoints, and other mechanics and crutches designed to make enjoying games easier.

I know I will get flamed for saying such things, but there was a time in the past (when I was a little kid) when I had more time and more motivation to replay difficult segments of a game until I finally beat it. But, when you get older, free time diminishes, and oftentimes, you just want to experience most of the content that a game has to offer within a reasonable timeframe, and move on to the next title without becoming frustrated by the realization that you could have spent your time doing other things rather than trying to beat a game that has effectively handed you your ass over and over.

For example, I did not complete Legend of Grimrock. It was an amazing game, but I did reach a point when I realized that I did not want to put in the time and effort necessary to beat such a difficult game. With time being such a rarity (with school and work sucking up most of it), I would rather go out and do other things rather than dedicating hours of my life to beating the same level without success.

Avatar image for deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e
deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#2 deactivated-61cf0c4baf12e
Member since 2006 • 6013 Posts

Go read a book or watch a movie.

Thank god for developers like From Software. Hope there were more like you guys!

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

good for you, bad for me.

The_Capitalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 The_Capitalist

Go read a book or watch a movie.

Thank god for developers like From Software. Hope there were more like you guys!

_TheJoker_

When you work 50 hours a week and have a family to tend to (granted, I do none of those things yet, but will), you will understand.

Granted, I do understand that hard games are a draw for many people, even if they are not easy to complete. They used to be a draw for me.

Dreams0fChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 Dreams0fChaos
Member since 2008 • 109 Posts

there is no game that is too hard for me :p

Silverbond

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Silverbond
Member since 2008 • 16130 Posts

Dreams0fChaos
So badass.
hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#7 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts
If this is trolling, you get an A for effort. That said, I don't mind a game being accessible but also challenging your skill constantly. I don't want cheap deaths that feels like it's beyond my control, but I also don't want to blaze through the game without trying either.
randomguy15

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#8 randomguy15
Member since 2008 • 1981 Posts

It depends on the game if I want it to be easy or not. So in some cases I'm glad some games are easier, but in others I like them harder. The games I enjoy I want them to be at least some what challenging, but the games I think are meh I want them to be easier so I can beat it and get through it.

Jebus213

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Jebus213
Member since 2010 • 10056 Posts
Interactive movies should become there own medium.
drinkerofjuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#10 drinkerofjuice
Member since 2007 • 4567 Posts

A game that's too easy is one that quickly becomes boring. An easy game lacks the excitement challening games provide, and therefore they're not nearly as rewarding.

AmazonTreeBoa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 AmazonTreeBoa
Member since 2011 • 16745 Posts
Easy games are boring games and I don't finish boring games. After reading all over the net about how hard Demon's Souls is and then playing it to seeing that it isn't hard at all really. Well let's just say that I don't think today's gamer has any clue what hard is.
The_Capitalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 The_Capitalist

If this is trolling, you get an A for effort. That said, I don't mind a game being accessible but also challenging your skill constantly. I don't want cheap deaths that feels like it's beyond my control, but I also don't want to blaze through the game without trying either.hiphops_savior

Not trolling.

Granted, it depends on the genre. I like my strategy games hard, but I like my action and shooter games easy. Most action games are linear, so I would like the game to be easy enough so that I can reach the end without stabbing myself in the eye with an icepick.

Dreams0fChaos

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Dreams0fChaos
Member since 2008 • 109 Posts

[QUOTE="Dreams0fChaos"]

Silverbond

So badass.

oh yeah :cool:

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17878 Posts

I know I will get flamed for saying such things, but there was a time in the past (when I was a little kid) when I had more time and more motivation to replay difficult segments of a game until I finally beat it. But, when I got older, free time diminishes, and oftentimes, I just want to experience most of the content that a game has to offer within a reasonable timeframe, and move on to the next title without becoming frustrated by the realization that I could have spent my time doing other things rather than trying to beat a game that has effectively handed me my ass over and over.

The_Capitalist

Fixed.

I'm 36 and find your assumptions rediculous. Please do not speak for me.

I go straight to hardcore/nightmare and oftentimes wish things were even more difficult. If I don't have to break a sweat to beat a game, it's a waste of time and money.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#15 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

I don't want all games to become easier, but I do want some that can just be picked uped and played.

I just don't have the patients to learn new games and then have them kick my ass for 20 hours before I get the hang of it. I did when I was 13 on summer break from school, not when im 24 and working a full time job while living alone.

Punishing myself while trying to play a video game is not my definition of fun.

Legolas_Katarn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

User Lists: 1

#16 Legolas_Katarn
Member since 2003 • 15556 Posts

When you work 50 hours a week

Not an acceptable excuse

As a hobby that I enjoy I can still easily find time to play games being at work for 45 hours a week and so can my married friend who works 50-60 at a job that can have hard physical labor.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa
deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

Easy games get boring really fast. I wish they would stop making so much easy games.

slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 slipknot0129
Member since 2008 • 5832 Posts

Yeah I agree with Tc. If you dont have time you dont have time. Thats why im greatful of how easy games have become. I dont have the motivation either to play games as long and as hard as I used to.

I think its the kids that will disagree though. Cause they dont have to work and kids who play video games do bad in school.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#19 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

When you work 50 hours a weekLegolas_Katarn

Not an acceptable excuse

As a hobby that I enjoy I can still easily find time to play games being at work for 45 hours a week and so can my married friend who works 50-60 at a job that can have hard physical labor.

You != everybody else.

You're bascially saying "just becuase I can do it, you should be able to do it too."

A terrible argument.

It's not just that. Some of us, in fact a lot of us, don't find punishingly difficult games fun. I find very few challenging games actually rewarding. Most are just lessons in frustration.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa
deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#20 deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

Yeah I agree with Tc. If you dont have time you dont have time. Thats why im greatful of how easy games have become. I dont have the motivation either to play games as long and as hard as I used to.

I think its the kids that will disagree though. Cause they dont have to work and kids who play video games do bad in school.

slipknot0129

Yeah, that isn't true.

eNT1TY

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 eNT1TY
Member since 2005 • 1319 Posts
I agree with TC, if your time is of any value and you chose to entertain yourself with a game why sink more time into it than you are willing to give if the mechanics demand such a commitment for any sort of success. Granted if one knows they are strapped for time Legend of Grimrock might not have been the best of choices for a quick pick up play session game. This brings up another point, if certain conventions are expected with certain games are people that are short on time just supposed to ignore whole genres because of the time commitment requirements? I'm glad easy mode exists for those that want to experience a wide variety of games but don't have to "no life" it hardcore style for 5+ hour sessions daily to make progress. Should people with lifestyles that allow for more idle time (read lazy and/or under/unemployed or 12) be rewarded by the industry when the more productive types can arguably afford to buy more games but won't because of the time commitments many require? I would love "no life" it in front of the TV/Monitor too, but sometimes that isnt an option for some, those people need to be catered too as well and im glad some devs are listening to their pleas. BTW, im being 50% facetious if you are the sensitive type and feel singled out but i think those concerns i mentioned are perfectly valid. Now to get back to some Endless Space... :)
The_Capitalist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 The_Capitalist

[QUOTE="The_Capitalist"]

I know I will get flamed for saying such things, but there was a time in the past (when I was a little kid) when I had more time and more motivation to replay difficult segments of a game until I finally beat it. But, when I got older, free time diminishes, and oftentimes, I just want to experience most of the content that a game has to offer within a reasonable timeframe, and move on to the next title without becoming frustrated by the realization that I could have spent my time doing other things rather than trying to beat a game that has effectively handed me my ass over and over.

br0kenrabbit

Fixed.

I'm 36 and find your assumptions rediculous. Please do not speak for me.

I go straight to hardcore/nightmare and oftentimes wish things were even more difficult. If I don't have to break a sweat to beat a game, it's a waste of time and money.

Well, you enjoy your games a certain way. I'm not saying that I speak for everyone, when you are a grown-ass adult with a life, there has to be something better to do than to waste your precious free time trying to complete a game that you know you will not be able to complete on your own. Now, if you are saying that you like playing hard games with the knowledge that you might not finish, then that's understandable.

Personally, I like to see/explore most of the content that a game has to offer. However, if a game is purely gameplay, then I wouldn't mind a challenge. But games today are far more than gameplay - they include juicy scripts, scenes, and other things that people want to see/experience before the night is out.

PAL360

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#23 PAL360
Member since 2007 • 30570 Posts

I actually want my singleplayer games to be harder (or at least to have an hardcore dificulty mode). I started Skyrim on master dificulty. It was challenging during the first 80 hours, but 300 hours later and close to level 60, its just like walking in the park.

Avatar image for blue_hazy_basic
blue_hazy_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#24 blue_hazy_basic  Moderator
Member since 2002 • 30854 Posts
Just for this I'm going to a store and stomping on a MLP just to ruin some kid's birthday. I hope your happy.
Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#25 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts

I, for one, want my games to be as easy as possible. For that, I am thankful that developers understand this, and are making games easier and more manageable with regenerating health, the ability to reload checkpoints, and other mechanics and crutches designed to make enjoying games easier.

I know I will get flamed for saying such things, but there was a time in the past (when I was a little kid) when I had more time and more motivation to replay difficult segments of a game until I finally beat it. But, when you get older, free time diminishes, and oftentimes, you just want to experience most of the content that a game has to offer within a reasonable timeframe, and move on to the next title without becoming frustrated by the realization that you could have spent your time doing other things rather than trying to beat a game that has effectively handed you your ass over and over.

For example, I did not complete Legend of Grimrock. It was an amazing game, but I did reach a point when I realized that I did not want to put in the time and effort necessary to beat such a difficult game. With time being such a rarity (with school and work sucking up most of it), I would rather go out and do other things rather than dedicating hours of my life to beating the same level without success.

The_Capitalist
No wonder you're a Brony.
Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#26 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15583 Posts

Dreams0fChaos