I'm eager to see what MS is going to do with Xbox Live next gen.

• 62 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

percech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 percech
Member since 2011 • 5237 Posts

When XBL was first introduced, for its time it was revolutionary and there was nothing else like it on consoles. So the subscription fee was in a sense understandable. This generation after 6-7 years Sony has caught up for the most part and it's really difficult to defend paying for XBL. MS needs to revolutionize their online service again for next gen. Making something that will put it ahead of the pack again to justify the $60 annual fee. If they do not impress then I'm afraid it's just going to be another disappointing feature added to a long list of many others that will certainly turn me away and end up making my decision to build a new gaming pc much easier.

balfe1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 balfe1990
Member since 2009 • 6747 Posts

Hmmm, was expecting a troll thread.

I'm curious too. The Xbox 1(and the 360 in it's early days) had an excuse; online console gaming was virtually unprecedented at the time. The competition is far more fierce these days.

As such, they'd really need to step their game up. If Sony have PS Plus straight out of the gate, they'll mop the floor with Gold's meager offerings. I'd imagine.Ms will offer some sort of "Entertainment package", one that includes a sub to Netflix/your local TVs provider among some other bells and whistles. It'll be quite disappointing probably.

edit: goddamned autocorrect.

kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts
Milk and rip off of course. M$ is a one trick pony.
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61477 Posts

Lower the price, I hope. Not much more they can do, other than refine the, nigh on, rock-solid system they have.

Avatar image for carlisledavid79
carlisledavid79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 carlisledavid79
Member since 2006 • 10522 Posts
Free online mp please.
percech

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 percech
Member since 2011 • 5237 Posts
Free online mp please.carlisledavid79
You and I both know that will never happen.
balfe1990

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 balfe1990
Member since 2009 • 6747 Posts

Free online mp please.carlisledavid79

NOBODY would pay then.

They have two options:

1. charge less

2. offer more

Ideally a combination of the two.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#8 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

agreed. This is why people call xbox live a rip off. you don't get what your buck is worth...

only thing xbox has over psn IMO is faster download times and better updates... would say party chat but sony would have party chat by now if the ps3didn't suck.

they use all that gold money for 30 day excluive crap that no one cares about...

1080pOnly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 1080pOnly
Member since 2009 • 2216 Posts

Milk and rip off of course. M$ is a one trick pony.kuraimen

That's ok though, cause you're a one prick up Sony.

HaRmLeSS_RaGe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 HaRmLeSS_RaGe
Member since 2012 • 1330 Posts

I'm sure MS have plenty of new ideas and features going into Xbox Live for next gen. They will once again be way ahead of the curve and Sony will be in full damage control mode :cool:

YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts
Upgrade to a 720 get free online? Only way I'll be getting aa 720, as im not paying for online anymore.
Primordialous

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 Primordialous
Member since 2012 • 1313 Posts

Lower the price, I hope. Not much more they can do, other than refine the, nigh on, rock-solid system they have.

lundy86_4

Pretty much.

mysticstryk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mysticstryk
Member since 2008 • 1709 Posts

Offer different services for different people.  I don't give two sh*ts about all the extra music/video/app crap on xbox, yet I still have to pay for it.  Microsoft raised the price of xbox live by $10 and offered ESPN streaming.  Why should I care about ESPN, I don't follow sports aside from hockey, and that is what my free tv and sports bars are for.

They should have xbox live come in separate packages, one package for core gamers, something for people who primarily want to use the xbox as a cable box, etc.

Some basic functions like multiplayer gaming and streaming primary services like netflix and hulu should be free.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts
lower the price or add more incentives. PS+ is completely destroying XBL as far as getting your money's worth goes.
EG101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 EG101
Member since 2007 • 2091 Posts

agreed. This is why people call xbox live a rip off. you don't get what your buck is worth...

only thing xbox has over psn IMO is faster download times and better updates... would say party chat but sony would have party chat by now if the ps3didn't suck.

they use all that gold money for 30 day excluive crap that no one cares about...

k2theswiss

If I am not mistaken MS owns the patent for Party Chat on a console. Party Chat is the only reason Live is worth the fee. If Sony finds a way to implement it on PS4 for free there really would be no point on paying for Live.

-Patrick_92-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 -Patrick_92-
Member since 2008 • 2168 Posts

[QUOTE="k2theswiss"]

EG101

If I am not mistaken MS owns the patent for Party Chat on a console. Party Chat is the only reason Live is worth the fee. If Sony finds a way to implement it on PS4 for free there really would be no point on paying for Live.

I don't think that is the case, considering the Vita has Party chat (for free). I'm pretty positive the PS4 will have Party chat.

mysticstryk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mysticstryk

[QUOTE="k2theswiss"]

EG101

Party chat is not owned by Microsoft (doubt they could if they wanted too).  Sony came out and told us why it didn't have party chat with the ps3.  It had something to do with not enough ram without sacrificing how much ram games could use.  The PS Vita has party chat.

jimmypsn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 jimmypsn
Member since 2010 • 4425 Posts

I just know it will be better than psn.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#19 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60710 Posts
Continue to be the only one who charges for multi player.
mysticstryk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 mysticstryk

jimmypsn

Typical fanboy.  Putting faith in a product/service before you even see it.

Liquid_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Liquid_
Member since 2003 • 3832 Posts

They are still trying to figure out how to impliment blu-ray on their next console

jimmypsn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 jimmypsn

[QUOTE="jimmypsn"]

mysticstryk

Xbox Live is better than PSN now. What makes you think things will be different. Xbox Live is faster, faster downloads, better games on Xbox LIVE arcade, better security, better dedicated and p2p networks. First for demos, cross game chat. I can go for pages and pages. Just google the info. It's all out there.
Senor_Kami

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Senor_Kami
Member since 2008 • 8529 Posts
I agree with this. The $60 made sense at first because hey, it was new for consoles and even last gen XBL cost money. But now MS is the only game in town that makes you pay for online and on top of that, the system is kinda crap for media unless you have XBL. I don't think it will be free next gen because of how much they make off of it, but I think they should at least throw people a bone or something. Maybe it's free after 7pm or everyone gets like 2 free hours of online play each day and media functionality is either free or something negligible like $12 a year. If it's the exact same setup as it is now, screw that. PS+ cost the same plus they give me like 20 games a year for free. They've given away the Xbox games that I play the most online so it's really a way better deal for someone like me. If XBL pricing and services don't change, I know which console I'm going with next gen.
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 lundy86_4

jimmypsn

The way PS+ is going, that may be a challenge.

lx_theo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 lx_theo
Member since 2010 • 6211 Posts

$70 annual fee. At least. 

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 k2theswiss

[QUOTE="mysticstryk"]

[QUOTE="jimmypsn"]

jimmypsn

Xbox Live is better than PSN now. What makes you think things will be different. Xbox Live is faster, faster downloads, better games on Xbox LIVE arcade, better security, better dedicated and p2p networks. First for demos, cross game chat. I can go for pages and pages. Just google the info. It's all out there.

dedicated and pvp servers? lol you do know the game publisher run MP servers right? not MS lol

arcade games. umm both system has excluives but most is on each system Etheir way paying for xbox gold is not needed for that.

party chat= watch it be on ps4 day one... 

demos umm  na... atleast on psn you can download a handfull of retail games and play for them for a hour to decide if you watch to buy them lol i can only thing of one game like that on xbox. and that game quitely sucks (fable 3)

Avatar image for carlisledavid79
carlisledavid79

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 carlisledavid79
Member since 2006 • 10522 Posts
[QUOTE="carlisledavid79"]Free online mp please.percech
You and I both know that will never happen.

It would if people stopped paying, they'd drop it in an instant.
WilliamRLBaker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 WilliamRLBaker
Member since 2006 • 28915 Posts

k2theswiss
except the majority of poeople calling it a rip off dont and never had xbl.....
k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 k2theswiss
[QUOTE="Senor_Kami"]I agree with this. The $60 made sense at first because hey, it was new for consoles and even last gen XBL cost money. But now MS is the only game in town that makes you pay for online and on top of that, the system is kinda crap for media unless you have XBL. I don't think it will be free next gen because of how much they make off of it, but I think they should at least throw people a bone or something. Maybe it's free after 7pm or everyone gets like 2 free hours of online play each day and media functionality is either free or something negligible like $12 a year. If it's the exact same setup as it is now, screw that. PS+ cost the same plus they give me like 20 games a year for free. They've given away the Xbox games that I play the most online so it's really a way better deal for someone like me. If XBL pricing and services don't change, I know which console I'm going with next gen.

agreed. even though psn+/gold is not the same "services" it's literally kills even thinking about paying for gold
lx_theo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 lx_theo
[QUOTE="k2theswiss"]

WilliamRLBaker

So... Where did you get this bit of information? Talking out of your ***, or do you actually have something to back up this claim?
Lionheart08

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 24

#31 Lionheart08
Member since 2005 • 15814 Posts

$70 a year for live?

jimmypsn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 jimmypsn

[QUOTE="k2theswiss"]

WilliamRLBaker

Exactly. I used to be PSN fan but the moment I had a chance to experience Live. I never looked back. It was like eating a filet mignon steak for the first time when all you had at that point was spam. Then you finally kenw why people were spending money. It's absolutely mind blowing. Experience it for yourself folks. It will change your gaming lives.

lx_theo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 lx_theo

[QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"][QUOTE="k2theswiss"]

jimmypsn

Exactly. I used to be PSN fan but the moment I had a chance to experience Live. I never looked back. It was like eating a filet mignon steak for the first time when all you had at that point was spam. Then you finally kenw why people were spending money. It's absolutely mind blowing. Experience it for yourself folks. It will change your gaming lives.

:lol: Always good for a laugh, eh?
k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 k2theswiss
[QUOTE="k2theswiss"]

WilliamRLBaker

have xbox gold and still call it rip off....
-Patrick_92-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 -Patrick_92-
Member since 2008 • 2168 Posts

[QUOTE="k2theswiss"]

WilliamRLBaker

I used to have XBLG, and I can safely say it's still a rip-off. No two ways about it, you pay for something that everyone else is getting for free. Cross-game chat and beacons are not worth the $60 MS is charging. More power to ya if you find value in it, I'm not gonna tell you how to spend your money, but in my opinion that service is a complete rip-off.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
increase the fee. Add more ads
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 lundy86_4

except the majority of poeople calling it a rip off dont and never had xbl.....WilliamRLBaker

Proof?

mysticstryk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 mysticstryk

[QUOTE="mysticstryk"]

[QUOTE="jimmypsn"]

jimmypsn

Well no sh*t.  I have an xbox I don't need to google it.  Just because they are on top now, doesn't mean they will be next gen.  Sony could easily bring out a new psn that equals or even goes beyond what Microsoft offers.  Or they could completely screw it up.  Thats the thing, we don't know.

W1NGMAN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 W1NGMAN-
Member since 2008 • 10109 Posts

There's really nothing else they can improve upon. I would however like to see the price of XBL Gold go down, and a possible PS+ feature implemented, unfortunately I don't see either happening.

W1NGMAN-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 W1NGMAN-
Member since 2008 • 10109 Posts

[QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"] except the majority of poeople calling it a rip off dont and never had xbl.....lundy86_4

Proof?

I thought it was common knowledge that XBL Gold was/is a ripoff :?

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts

[QUOTE="WilliamRLBaker"] except the majority of poeople calling it a rip off dont and never had xbl.....lundy86_4

Proof?

Especially since a lot of new owners thoughout the years (myself included) Get a free trial with the console... So pretty much most xbox owners have tasted gold..and its definitely not worth any sort of fee
YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts
[QUOTE="k2theswiss"]

WilliamRLBaker

Why defend the xbox console so much? Do we pay, only to have ads shoved down our throats? Nothing good even comes out of the 360 except Halo and Gears which are nothing groundbreaking anyway. The xbox brand contributes nothing to gaming, yet sticks around while people defend it without reason.
OldSnake-PS3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 OldSnake-PS3
Member since 2013 • 159 Posts
there will be more ads and more price hikes -also more brainwashed fans supporting the biggest ripoff of all time
coasterguy65

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#44 coasterguy65
Member since 2005 • 7133 Posts

I'm actually more curious to see what Sony does with their online with the PS4. Will they continue to keep it free and loose money to sell systems, or will they give in to their natural greed and charge for it. I'd be really surprised if they keep it free.

brennanhuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 brennanhuff
Member since 2011 • 957 Posts

I think the correct way of looking at this is will the competition continue to eat the costs of their online services? I think it will be more likely that Sony (possibly Nintendo) will charge for online services next generation. Sony is already attempting it now. However, the cost is so low and the demand is high, I wouldn't be surprised if Microsoft just continued with their current structure.

muffin200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 muffin200
Member since 2007 • 733 Posts

I'm actually more curious to see what Sony does with their online with the PS4. Will they continue to keep it free and loose money to sell systems, or will they give in to their natural greed and charge for it. I'd be really surprised if they keep it free.

coasterguy65

I don't see them charging for it as the Free Online is a good selling point they might not want to give up. I'm still suprised about the lack of adds on the PS3 dashboard so I think that might change if they want to make cash of it.

brennanhuff

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 brennanhuff
Member since 2011 • 957 Posts

[QUOTE="coasterguy65"]

muffin200

I don't see them charging for it as the Free Online is a good selling point they might not want to give up. I'm still suprised about the lack of adds on the PS3 dashboard so I think that might change if they want to make cash of it.

The problem is Sony is not in any financial position to offer such a discount. PSN+ is clearly an attempt to recoup some of these costs. In my opinion, it's far more likely for Sony to charge then it is for Microsoft not to charge. As far as lack of ads, I am not sure what dashboard you are looking at. But everytime I boot up my PS3 (pretty much everyday) there is an ad.

DISSESHOWEDO

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 DISSESHOWEDO
Member since 2010 • 1775 Posts

They will start charging additional 60$ for using your controller !

DrTrafalgarLaw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 DrTrafalgarLaw
Member since 2011 • 4487 Posts

Microsoft is only going to add more ads for their ADD-ridden consumerbase. Also another $10 price hike for XBL, they will blaim it on "correction for inflation" again. :lol: And I swear you're going to need XBLG subscription to even access the Marketplace. You can quote me on that.

Avatar image for StrongBlackVine
StrongBlackVine

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 StrongBlackVine
Member since 2012 • 13262 Posts

As far as lack of ads, I am not sure what dashboard you are looking at. But everytime I boot up my PS3 (pretty much everyday) there is an ad.

brennanhuff

What ads? I have never seen ad. Playstation Store is not an ad btw...