Im actually surprised that Arkham City is so loved

• 68 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

IcyFlamez96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 IcyFlamez96
Member since 2011 • 1355 Posts

I just got the game from my friend (havent started it yet) and I played the demo before. I thought it was pretty cool and the combat was cool. But literally all it seemed I had to do was mash X the whole time and he'd do all these crazy combos. It doenst seem hard at all, like no skill involved lol. Honestly im fine with it though. Its fun to me but I thought people on here would hate such a easy combat system. Ok I always thought that it was just easy because well of course, I was playing the demo so maybe just the demo level was easy, but I'd ask my friends "All I had to do in the demo was keep pressing X and he'd combo for days. Does it get anu harder or was that just easy because it was the demo level?" And they will usually just say "Nope thats pretty much the way it is the whole time." I was kind of hoping for somewhat of a challenge at least but oh well, maybe they're wrong.

EDIT:

Im not hating on the game at all. I said I liked the combat system from the demo. Im sure I'd love it after playing the full game. Im just saying, im surprised its so praised. Im not picky at all. I love many games. I love many games that people generally hate. Actually im so not picky that ive been told that I have bad taste because of me liking certain games :/

Avatar image for GreenGoblin2099
GreenGoblin2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 GreenGoblin2099
Member since 2004 • 16988 Posts

Beat the game, then come back and tell us what's not to like.

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#3 parkurtommo
Member since 2009 • 28295 Posts

DON'T MATTER IF IT COOL IT BADASS

401-spongebob-face.jpg

crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

You have to play it for more than 5 minutes lol.

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts

And they will usually just say "Nope thats pretty much the way it is the whole time."

IcyFlamez96
Yeah, no. Once the enemies are armored and have weapons you won't get far by just pressing X. It doesn't get much more complicated but you should press more than one button.
IcyFlamez96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 IcyFlamez96

crimsonman1245
Noooo nooo nooo you guys are completely missing the point. I LIKED it. Im just saying with a combat system as easy as that Im just surprised its so heavily praised around here. And I played it for 15 minutes :P
IcyFlamez96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 IcyFlamez96
[QUOTE="IcyFlamez96"]

And they will usually just say "Nope thats pretty much the way it is the whole time."

nethernova
Yeah, no. Once the enemies are armored and have weapons you won't get far by just pressing X. It doesn't get much more complicated but you should press more than one button.

Well yeah I was kind of exaggerating that. I know not only X will get you through the whole game lol.
parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 parkurtommo
[QUOTE="crimsonman1245"]

IcyFlamez96
Noooo nooo nooo you guys are completely missing the point. I LIKED it. Im just saying with a combat system as easy as that Im just surprised its so heavily praised around here. And I played it for 15 minutes :P

Doood, later on there are several different types of enemies that require you to pay attention, hence the challenge mode. Wouldn't be much of a challenge mode if there were no challenge.
crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

[QUOTE="crimsonman1245"]

IcyFlamez96

The enemies get much tougher, they get nightsticks, knives, shields, electric rods, armor, and they throw lots of them at you at once and they all have different combos you need to perform to take on each weapon. It gets much more difficult.

SaltyMeatballs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#10 SaltyMeatballs
Member since 2009 • 25165 Posts

It's Batman, that is all people care about.

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Kinthalis
Member since 2002 • 5503 Posts

I played both games on PC.

First, they look AMAZING. The Physx effects add a ton fo ambiance to the whole thing. The combat specifically is incredibly fluid and fun! And yes, it's fairly easy early on, but it'll get harder. You'll find you'll need to mix things up against foes armed with cutting weapons, foes that can throw things at you, foes with riot shields, foes with electric batons, foes with guns, they all provide you with different types of difficulties. And that's just the tip of the iceberg, later even more variety opens up as the storyline develops.

Combos also play a part and you'll need decent timing over various buttons/joystick movements to pull them off well.

I'd definitely suggest you start with Arkham Asylum though, and from there go to Arkham City. Both are excellent games and the storylines tie in together nicely.

IcyFlamez96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 IcyFlamez96

First, they look AMAZING. The Physx effects add a ton fo ambiance to the whole thing. The combat specifically is incredibly fluid and fun! And yes, it's faiurly easy early on, but it'll get harded. You'll find you'll need to mix things up against foes armed with cutting weapons, foes that can throw things at you, foes with riot shields, foes with electric batons, foes with guns, they all provide you with different types of difficulties. And that's just the tip of the iceberg, later even more variety opens up as the storyline develops.

I'd definitely suggest you start with Arkham Sylum though, and from there go to Arkham City. Both are excellent games and the storylines tie in together nicely.

Kinthalis
Well I already have City so.......
Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Kinthalis

[QUOTE="Kinthalis"]

First, they look AMAZING. The Physx effects add a ton fo ambiance to the whole thing. The combat specifically is incredibly fluid and fun! And yes, it's faiurly easy early on, but it'll get harded. You'll find you'll need to mix things up against foes armed with cutting weapons, foes that can throw things at you, foes with riot shields, foes with electric batons, foes with guns, they all provide you with different types of difficulties. And that's just the tip of the iceberg, later even more variety opens up as the storyline develops.

I'd definitely suggest you start with Arkham Sylum though, and from there go to Arkham City. Both are excellent games and the storylines tie in together nicely.

IcyFlamez96

Well I already have City so.......

I guess. It's not a necessity, but playing Arkham Asylum first I think is a better entry into the series. Still you might want to play ti later if not first, it's an awesome game as well.

Selkc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#14 Selkc
Member since 2011 • 203 Posts

i feel people exageratted how big the city was

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 parkurtommo

i feel people exageratted how big the city was

Selkc
No one exaggerated that, it was even mentioned in the GS video review for example, the city is quite small.
Grawse

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#16 Grawse
Member since 2010 • 4342 Posts
I'm not.
TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22630 Posts
If devs treated franchises half as serious and with an iota of care as rocksteady treats the batman ip the world would be a better place... that said, i enjoyed AA more than AC. The combat in AC felt a little more all over the place while AA felt more focused. Not a huge fan of these games being overly open world.
Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#18 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts
All other aspects aside besides combat, it was amazing. It may be shallow but I never played Arkham Asylum so it was new to me. I set it on Hard right away and got my ass kicked several times on the first time. The game can be really difficult on Hard. It's fun though.
Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#19 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

you're not alone. I played the game and my mind was blown when such crappy game won so many GOTYs and got so much praise from the media. I haven't played Arkham City though but I have no interest in playing it either.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts
Don't like it one bit because comics and anything related to it is aimed at 8 year olds. 'Bat'man LOL
Thefatness16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Thefatness16
Member since 2010 • 4673 Posts

Yeah the combat is really easy and sorta shallow, but I guess that's the point. It's trying to make you feel like Batman by taking out tons of enemies without much effort. Beyond that the game is great though.

Avatar image for GreenGoblin2099
GreenGoblin2099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 GreenGoblin2099
Member since 2004 • 16988 Posts

Don't like it one bit because comics and anything related to it is aimed at 8 year olds. 'Bat'man LOLsilversix_

*looks at sig with chibi DS bosses*

Oooooooooooook...

Kinthalis

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Kinthalis

Don't like it one bit because comics and anything related to it is aimed at 8 year olds. 'Bat'man LOLsilversix_

Wow, the stereotypical ignorant gamer.

Seriously, the game is NOT at all geared towards 8 year old. It's fairly mature themes being explored by both. Is violence the solutiion to violence is a constant theme.

"Would the Joker even exist if it wasn't for you, Batman?" That line made me pause.

Seriously man, talk abotu don't judge a book by it's cover.

HaloPimp978

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#24 HaloPimp978
Member since 2005 • 7329 Posts

Not suprising to me at all

parkurtommo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 parkurtommo

[QUOTE="silversix_"]Don't like it one bit because comics and anything related to it is aimed at 8 year olds. 'Bat'man LOLKinthalis

Seriously, the game is NOT at all geared towards 8 year old. It's fairly mature themes being explored by both. Is violence the solutiion to violence is a constant theme.

"Would the Joker even exist if it wasn't for you, Batman?" That line made me pause.

Not to mention dat Catwoman and Poison Ivy. :oops:
Avian005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#26 Avian005
Member since 2009 • 4112 Posts

[QUOTE="Kinthalis"]

[QUOTE="silversix_"]Don't like it one bit because comics and anything related to it is aimed at 8 year olds. 'Bat'man LOLparkurtommo

Not to mention dat Catwoman and Poison Ivy. :oops:

And Harley Quinn. :D

Phazevariance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Phazevariance
Member since 2003 • 12356 Posts

I just got the game from my friend (havent started it yet) and I played the demo before. I thought it was pretty cool and the combat was cool. But literally all it seemed I had to do was mash X the whole time and he'd do all these crazy combos. It doenst seem hard at all, like no skill involved lol. Honestly im fine with it though. Its fun to me but I thought people on here would hate such a easy combat system. Ok I always thought that it was just easy because well of course, I was playing the demo so maybe just the demo level was easy, but I'd ask my friends "All I had to do in the demo was keep pressing X and he'd combo for days. Does it get anu harder or was that just easy because it was the demo level?" And they will usually just say "Nope thats pretty much the way it is the whole time." I was kind of hoping for somewhat of a challenge at least but oh well, maybe they're wrong.

IcyFlamez96
You have to press Y also to dodge incomign attacks, and since some enemies will have weapons you need to disarm them prior to attacking them. If its so easy, please do a 150 hit combo and post the video.
jackfruitchips

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 jackfruitchips
Member since 2012 • 1065 Posts

you're not alone. I played the game and my mind was blown when such crappy game won so many GOTYs and got so much praise from the media. I haven't played Arkham City though but I have no interest in playing it either.

Gue1
I don't understand either. I'd heard so many good things about AA and AC so I bought them but I couldn't finish either of them. I dont like the combat, it's fluid but hand to hand combat is not deep and satisfying like Yakuza.
IcyFlamez96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 IcyFlamez96
[QUOTE="IcyFlamez96"]

Phazevariance
You have to press Y also to dodge incomign attacks, and since some enemies will have weapons you need to disarm them prior to attacking them. If its so easy, please do a 150 hit combo and post the video.

You sound a little butthurt :/ That was not my intention.
4dr1el

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 4dr1el
Member since 2012 • 2380 Posts

The Arkham games are pretty much overrated imho especially the combat... people talk about the combat as some grondbreaking thing (like as they say Sleeping Dogs takes Arkham combat) but I really dont know why is that. Its combat is simple, boring and pretty much automatic... Still good games cause of the stealth elements but nothing thats groundbreaking aswell. I'll never get how Arkham City has a 96 on meta or why no one seems to hate on these games

ShadowsDemon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#31 ShadowsDemon
Member since 2012 • 10059 Posts
Maybe try actually playing it for a bit more or maybe finishing it first? Judging a game before you even start it properly...lol.
YoshiYogurt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 YoshiYogurt
Member since 2010 • 6008 Posts

First, they look AMAZING. The Physx effects add a ton fo ambiance to the whole thing. The combat specifically is incredibly fluid and fun! And yes, it's fairly easy early on, but it'll get harder. You'll find you'll need to mix things up against foes armed with cutting weapons, foes that can throw things at you, foes with riot shields, foes with electric batons, foes with guns, they all provide you with different types of difficulties. And that's just the tip of the iceberg, later even more variety opens up as the storyline develops.

Combos also play a part and you'll need decent timing over various buttons/joystick movements to pull them off well.

I'd definitely suggest you start with Arkham Asylum though, and from there go to Arkham City. Both are excellent games and the storylines tie in together nicely.

Kinthalis
PC is the way to go with this game. 3D + physx + already better graphics = a much better experience than on consoles.
Solid_Link22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#33 Solid_Link22
Member since 2006 • 5698 Posts

I don't think you played the game right if all you did was button mash when fighting.

IcyFlamez96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 IcyFlamez96

I don't think you played the game right if all you did was button mash when fighting.

Solid_Link22
I played it right enough to get through the demo with ease. Of course thats only the demo though. And I was exaggerating. It seems like people are getting too defensive for some reason. The way people here explained the combat system made it sound exactly like Spiderman 2's (PS2) combat system which isnt deep at all really. Just simple and hecka easy. If thats so then there is nothing really special about the combat system. I know some people in this topic said the combat system the high point but Ive seen so many praises on the combat system and If its really how I think it is then it will just be pretty simple but really flashy. Im cool with that though Im sure it will be fun. I cant play it until the weekend though.
Solid_Link22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Solid_Link22
Member since 2006 • 5698 Posts

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
the combat is only 1 feature of the game... there are the cameos/story/characters/open world city/U'R BATMAN and its not as simple as mashing the buttons.. i have died a few times and then there are the boss fights which are not so simple and then enemies with guns which can mow you down quick
n00bproof

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 n00bproof
Member since 2009 • 674 Posts

The combat is great, but its overrated for different reasons.

1) Reused sound effects/stupid pointless banter between NPCs repeating themselves over and over and over and over and over and o

2) The main storyline was extremely short, and all the sidequests were essentially advertisments for a future game. Almost every single side quest, with so much filler/backtracking/fluff, had either an anticlimactic (Bane) or unfinished (Hush) ending.

3) Boss battles were not much better than Arkham Asylum. Mr. Freeze was pretty cool, but...

Its a great game, great storyline, but I think the first game is better and functions better as a video game.

Cheleman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Cheleman
Member since 2012 • 8198 Posts

I just hated the fact that you couldn't knock people off buildings:(

I wonder what drove them to do that...?

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Sushiglutton
Member since 2009 • 9853 Posts

Cheleman
Batman doesn't kill
Cheleman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Cheleman
Member since 2012 • 8198 Posts

[QUOTE="Cheleman"]

Sushiglutton

Batman doesn't kill

i dont think putting invisible walls is the best way to send the message:P

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Sushiglutton

[QUOTE="Sushiglutton"][QUOTE="Cheleman"]

Cheleman

Batman doesn't kill

i dont think putting invisible walls is the best way to send the message:P

Yeah it could have been solved more elegantly.
mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#42 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

I hope you know there's more to the game than it's combat system...

And play on hard so it'll remove indicators thus increasing the challenge.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Sushiglutton
The variation is for the most part not forced. You can get by using a handful of moves. But then you'd be missing all the fun. It's when you build these huge combos, using a variety of moves/gadgets that the combat just clicks. It's very satisfying. But it is one of those games were you have to reach a certain skill level to fully enjoy.
biggest_loser

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 60

#44 biggest_loser
Member since 2007 • 24508 Posts
Try versing several different enemy types at once.
Swift_Boss_A

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Swift_Boss_A
Member since 2007 • 14579 Posts

You need to put more time in the game because the combat though simple has a lot to offer as you play a long and especially when you try the riddler challenge rooms.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

mitu123

but it is a huge part of the game and it gets in the way. And reviewers couldn't stop talking about how awesome the combat is when it really isn't.

Sushiglutton

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Sushiglutton

[QUOTE="mitu123"]

Gue1

but it is a huge part of the game and it gets in the way. And reviewers couldn't stop talking about how awesome the combat is when it really isn't.

I think it is superb. And so does a lot of developers aparently as Assassin's Creed, Sleeping Dogs and the amazing spiderman all have tried to copy major parts of it. Imo it's the greatest gameplay achievement this gen :D!
MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts
The combat's excellent but I can't be bothered to elaborate on why to someone who has admitted to only having played 15 minutes. People just assume because the combat is simplistic in execution it has no depth and is bad. The only ones that claim Batman has poor combat are those that have not put in the effort to become proficient at it.
gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#49 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

mitu123

You still have the indicators on hard (Which was disappointing)

Arkham City was amazing but far too easy for those of us who played Arkham Asylum 24/7. I never played on anything but hard on the first game.

Avatar image for almasdeathchild
almasdeathchild

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#50 almasdeathchild
Member since 2011 • 8922 Posts

beat it before you judge

also if i remember correctly,you are a picky sob