I'll be glad when Sony is gone, they have brought nothing to gaming really

This topic is locked from further discussion.

1080pOnly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 1080pOnly
Member since 2009 • 2216 Posts

Sony, the great pretender. The stealer of ideas and destroyer of the sacred. They have brought nothing new to gaming, they tried to turn 'game' consoles into 'home entertainment' movie players, they tried and failed to emulate the PC in a 'closed' environment. Simply awful.

The fathers of gaming were (in no particular order) Atari, Microsoft, Amstrad, Sinclair, Commodore, Apple, Sega and Nintendo. They popularised gaming, they brought us the first real home consoles or produced operating systems and PC's designed with gaming in mind. Sony copied, and were successful, but brought nothing to the table that hadn't been done before, all the while using their muscle and marketing power to push others with smaller budgets to one side. They nearly succeeded in their quest for total domination and the smothering of innovation, but people saw through the lies eventually.

The classics of gaming, the highest rated and critically acclaimed titles of all time, did not come from Sony and nor will they. Ever. Oh they had a well loved console or two but I say that had they stayed out of the market someone else, someone better, would have created something more wonderous. When they bow out next gen I will be glad. Someone new, someone with real ideas, will step in and fill the gap. Exciting times :).

Don't forget, historically accurate documentation tells us that giant crabs will attack your weak spot, for massive damage, if you disagree.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#2 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts
Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#3 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts
Sony made console gaming more mainstream than any company ever. Twice, that at it, and they have one of the highest rated games of all time in Uncharted 2. I thank them for that.
Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Blabadon
Awesome imageclyde46
This too
speedfog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#5 speedfog
Member since 2009 • 4966 Posts

I agree somewhat. Sony has never brought something original, they are succesfull cus of the idea's of the other companies.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52420 Posts
When?
LadyBlue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 LadyBlue
Member since 2012 • 4943 Posts
GamerwillzPS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 GamerwillzPS
Member since 2012 • 8531 Posts

So much fail.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
You're an idiot TC.
lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61427 Posts

They've brought nothing to gaming, except two of the greatest consoles to grace the medium. Beyond that, how about the hundreds of IPs that have existed due to them?

This is nothing more than a wannabe-hipster post. Guess what? We've all heard of it!!

1080pOnly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 1080pOnly

Great arguments so far people. Really classy. Pretty much proves my point I think.

CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 CaseyWegner
Member since 2002 • 70114 Posts

The classics of gaming, the highest rated and critically acclaimed titles of all time, did not come from Sony and nor will they. Ever. 1080pOnly

fearing the risk of being attacked by giant crabs, i must say that several of the highest scoring games of all time include the likes of gta3, uncharted 2, tony hawk 3, mgs2, devil may cry, mgs3, mgs4, and god of war. these all debuted on sony systems.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#13 GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

Nope. The PS1 and the PS2 are the best consoles ever (and I say this as a Nintendo fan), especially if you're into JRPGs.

Yes, outside of the immense third party support of those two consoles and a few first party games here and there, Sony is pretty forgettable overall and they do suffer from a lack of original ideas. Still, the incredibly robust libraries of the PS1/PS2 more than make Sony's hardware efforts irreplacable.

I don't feel the same way about PS3 tho. PS3 is just a slightly sexier Xbox 360 IMO.

CanYouDiglt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 CanYouDiglt
Member since 2009 • 8474 Posts

I agree to a point. I do not wish Sony to go away but they really have not brought anything. They have had some good games but that is because of the developers not Sony. Naughty Dog for example was making some great games and Sony bought them but it is not like Sony the company made those games but instead it was the people from Naughty Dog.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 lundy86_4

Great arguments so far people. Really classy. Pretty much proves my point I think.

1080pOnly

How does people not responding seriously prove any of your post? This isn't elementary school... We don't just associate random sh*t, bro.

1080pOnly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 1080pOnly

They've brought nothing to gaming, except two of the greatest consoles to grace the medium. Beyond that, how about the hundreds of IPs that have existed due to them?

This is nothing more than a wannabe-hipster post. Guess what? We've all heard of it!!

lundy86_4

Those IP's, mostly third party, would have existed on other consoles. Sony simply bought the market and third party devs sucked it up because it was the only choice left to them. They tried to buy it again with the PS3, they took such a hit, this time it failed. They did kill the, arguably, better HD-DVD format on the way though.

ItsBriskBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ItsBriskBaby
Member since 2007 • 1748 Posts

Oh please, stfu and go play WOW. This has to be one of the dumbest comments ever.

Badosh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#18 Badosh
Member since 2011 • 12774 Posts
Just stop TC, just...no.
RapidTurtle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 RapidTurtle
Member since 2010 • 344 Posts

Just plain stupid.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="lundy86_4"]

1080pOnly

Those IP's, mostly third party, would have existed on other consoles. Sony simply bought the market and third party devs sucked it up because it was the only choice left to them. They tried to buy it again with the PS3, they took such a hit, this time it failed. They did kill the, arguably, better HD-DVD format on the way though.

That is an assumption, not a certainty. Also, Sony offered third parties distinct advantages over developing for Nintendo.

Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Rocker6
Member since 2009 • 13358 Posts

*pic*clyde46

Awesome!

So awesome I just Youtubed my fav Christmas song, intended for heavy drinkage! :lol:

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

Sony has a great history in the games industry but this gen that have been nothing more than a "me too" company. Nearly everything they do is influenced in some way by somethat that MS or Nintendo are doing. This isn't always bad (look at Samsung copying Apple for example), but Sony fails to deliver a superior product than the competition even though they are copying.

ItsBriskBaby

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 ItsBriskBaby
Member since 2007 • 1748 Posts

I agree to a point. I do not wish Sony to go away but they really have not brought anything. They have had some good games but that is because of the developers not Sony. Naughty Dog for example was making some great games and Sony bought them but it is not like Sony the company made those games but instead it was the people from Naughty Dog.

CanYouDiglt

Listen to what you're saying as it sounds too stupid. If this was the case no console should be here because the mass majority of games are 3rd party. Especially MS!

super600

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#24 super600  Moderator
Member since 2007 • 33099 Posts

. clyde46

This is awesome.:lol:

1080pOnly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 1080pOnly

Nope. The PS1 and the PS2 are the best consoles ever (and I say this as a Nintendo fan), especially if you're into JRPGs.

Yes, outside of the immense third party support of those two consoles and a few first party games here and there, Sony is pretty forgettable overall and they do suffer from a lack of original ideas. Still, the incredibly robust libraries of the PS1/PS2 more than make Sony's hardware efforts irreplacable.

I don't feel the same way about PS3 tho. PS3 is just a slightly sexier Xbox 360 IMO.

GreySeal9

I understand your point and those consoles were great because of the games on them. My reasoning though is that they basically paid for the market and someone else would have done a better job if they had left the space. I think they actually stifled innovation during those times and those games that made the consoles great would have been on another system anyway.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 GreySeal9

Sony has a great history in the games industry but this gen that have been nothing more than a "me too" company. Nearly everything they do is influenced in some way by somethat that MS or Nintendo are doing. This isn't always bad (look at Samsung copying Apple for example), but Sony fails to deliver a superior product than the competition even though they are copying.

BPoole96

Agreed. Sony fanboys know that this is the truth, but admitting it is just too painful considering Sony's PS1/PS2 dominance.

Rocker6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Rocker6
Member since 2009 • 13358 Posts

So much fail.

GamerwillzPS

So, TC, do you know when it's obvious you failed miserably?

It's when I'm forced to agree with Willz! ;)

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 lundy86_4

1080pOnly

Would have, or could have? Assumptions don't help the matter. Regardless, Sony brought out 2 of the highest selling consoles in history, and that attracted 2nd/3rd party development.

How did they "buy" a market?

It certainly is arguable. Most of the benefits of of HD-DVD have been brought to Blu-Ray, and it's major advantage was production cost (touted at around 10% more than DVD's). However Blu-Ray costs have dipped considerably.

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 GreySeal9

[QUOTE="GreySeal9"]

1080pOnly

I understand your point and those consoles were great because of the games on them. My reasoning though is that they basically paid for the market and someone else would have done a better job if they had left the space. I think they actually stifled innovation during those times and those games that made the consoles great would have been on another system anyway.

Some of them would have been on another system anyway, but I don't think that's true for every title. I don't think the PS1 FFs would exist (which were essential titles of that era) in their current form if not for PlayStation.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 lundy86_4

BPoole96

Pretty much. My biggest example would be PSN.

1080pOnly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 1080pOnly

. clyde46

I must say I did chuckled at that one :D. So swiftly posted too, I doff my cap good sir.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 lundy86_4

Some of them would have been on another system anyway, but I don't think that's true for every title. I don't think the PS1 FFs would exist (which were essential titles of that era) in their current form if not PlayStation.

GreySeal9

Exactly, as I belive the driving factor behind the change was due to the CD format of the PS1.

CanYouDiglt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 CanYouDiglt
Member since 2009 • 8474 Posts

[QUOTE="CanYouDiglt"]

ItsBriskBaby

Listen to what you're saying as it sounds too stupid. If this was the case no console should be here because the mass majority of games are 3rd party. Especially MS!

That is not true. Nintendo has many great games from studios they formed and not bought already formed studios. 343 is a recent example of a studio made. There may be successful studios Sony has formed but I do not know them. I am just saying Sony did not create its great games they were from studios formed before Sony bought them.

1080pOnly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 1080pOnly

Some of them would have been on another system anyway, but I don't think that's true for every title. I don't think the PS1 FFs would exist (which were essential titles of that era) in their current form if not PlayStation.

GreySeal9

Aye possibly, it's hard to say. Still, it's not enough for me personally and i'll be glad when they are gone...and I really do feel they will.

Avatar image for CommanderpeaceC
CommanderpeaceC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 CommanderpeaceC
Member since 2012 • 63 Posts

[QUOTE="1080pOnly"]

The classics of gaming, the highest rated and critically acclaimed titles of all time, did not come from Sony and nor will they. Ever. CaseyWegner

fearing the risk of being attacked by giant crabs, i must say that several of the highest scoring games of all time include the likes of gta3, uncharted 2, tony hawk 3, mgs2, devil may cry, mgs3, mgs4, and god of war. these all debuted on sony systems.

But none came from Sony which is what tc said. Surer He is wrong however. Gt was unstoppable on consoles until this gen.
Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Blabadon

CanYouDiglt

You do realize that this is how most companies work right? Nintendo's nearly the only exception to this, but otherwise most companies bring things by giving the funds for their first-parties to develop with.

I know you know this, but the reason I'm saying this is because ND bringing something is Sony bringing something. First-party is first-party.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#37 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

How much I might loathe Cows, the day Sony goes under will be a dark and sad day for the industry :(

CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 CaseyWegner

[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

[QUOTE="1080pOnly"]

The classics of gaming, the highest rated and critically acclaimed titles of all time, did not come from Sony and nor will they. Ever. CommanderpeaceC

But none came from Sony which is what tc said. Surer He is wrong however. Gt was unstoppable on consoles until this gen.

most games don't come from first party developers. nintendo would be the main exception.

1080pOnly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 1080pOnly

[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

[QUOTE="1080pOnly"]

The classics of gaming, the highest rated and critically acclaimed titles of all time, did not come from Sony and nor will they. Ever. CommanderpeaceC

I agree that it was. However it was merely another studio funded by Sony, not actually Sony themselves. Sony's DNA is that of a hardware company and they really haven't ever showed their prowess at that. In fact the horrible build quality and lack of power compared to their competitors in all gen's they have been a part of is proof enough of that. Granted MS dropped the ball this gen too and I also hate the direction they are now taking.

CommanderpeaceC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 CommanderpeaceC

[QUOTE="CommanderpeaceC"][QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

CaseyWegner

most games don't come from first party developers. nintendo would be the main exception.

Where were you 2nd and 4th gen?
1080pOnly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 1080pOnly

CaseyWegner

Indeed, which is partly my point. Sony (metaphorically) forced it's hardware down peoples throats with massive ad campaigns and by buying studios that previously would have produced for other consoles. Sony had the money in those days that others didn't and they used it to dominate. Not blaming them for doing it, most companies would, but I still didn't like it.

CommanderpeaceC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 CommanderpeaceC

1080pOnly

I agree that it was. However it was merely another studio funded by Sony, not actually Sony themselves. Sony's DNA is that of a hardware company and they really haven't ever showed their prowess at that. In fact the horrible build quality and lack of power compared to their competitors in all gen's they have been a part of is proof enough of that. Granted MS dropped the ball this gen too and I also hate the direction they are now taking.

You can't say ms dropped the ball when they did nothing but gain.
CommanderpeaceC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 CommanderpeaceC

[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

1080pOnly

Indeed, which is partly my point. Sony (metaphorically) forced it's hardware down peoples throats with massive ad campaigns and by buying studios that previously would have produced for other consoles. Sony had the money in those days that others didn't and they used it to dominate. Not blaming them for doing it, most companies would, but I still didn't like it.

what companies did Sony but? Yeah none. Squarenix? Rockstar? No
1080pOnly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 1080pOnly

[QUOTE="1080pOnly"]

[QUOTE="CommanderpeaceC"] But none came from Sony which is what tc said. Surer He is wrong however. Gt was unstoppable on consoles until this gen.CommanderpeaceC

You can't say ms dropped the ball when they did nothing but gain.

Ah I wasn't clear, I mean in terms of hardware quality.

1080pOnly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 1080pOnly

[QUOTE="1080pOnly"]

CommanderpeaceC

They bought exclusivity rights to IP's, it amounts to the same thing really.

crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

3DS price pre-sony intervention-250 dollars

3DS price post-sony intervention-150 dollars.

Thats 1 very small example of why Sony is nice to have around.

BrunoBRS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 BrunoBRS
Member since 2005 • 74156 Posts
they popularized CD as a console medium and the PS2 skyrocketed gaming's popularity. and they made shadow of the colossus.
CommanderpeaceC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 CommanderpeaceC

[QUOTE="CommanderpeaceC"][QUOTE="1080pOnly"]

1080pOnly

They bought exclusivity rights to IP's, it amounts to the same thing really.

No they didn't.
CaseyWegner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 CaseyWegner

[QUOTE="CaseyWegner"]

[QUOTE="CommanderpeaceC"] But none came from Sony which is what tc said. Surer He is wrong however. Gt was unstoppable on consoles until this gen.CommanderpeaceC

playing those systems and waiting for the day i could make that post and refer to the reality of 2012.

CommanderpeaceC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 CommanderpeaceC

CaseyWegner

playing those systems and waiting for the day i could make that post and refer to the reality of 2012.

Running away from your own post I see.