IGN's artical, by implication, takes a big fat shat all over Gamespot's HW2 review.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Trinitarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Trinitarian
Member since 2007 • 1407 Posts

The Author of Halo Wars 2's Gamespot review, clearly a Halo fan of FPSs over stepped her bounds when trying to review a Halo RTS. She says twice the game "just runs out of steam." It started to sound like a campaing slogen by Donald Trump like "lets make America great again," lol, you know just a broad term in saying, "I'm going to say and do whatever the **** I want" mood or in this case mentality. .

Lets look at IGN's artical on Deck Building. It contains information I've been waiting for since the last 13 hours i've played the game. It describs different deck builds and descriptions on leader roles. Blitz is only a tiny fraction of the entire package and if you've read that artical you'll know the deep potential this game mode has in the competitive realm, which is something the little B-Bop reviewer couldn't wrap her mind around. She even says she gave up on trying to split her units cause "its just easier to push RB twice" LMAO??!!! WTF???!!? Who the hell did this site pick to review this game?

Its like me calling up my mom who never played a game before let alone an RTS and try to teach her how to play. I'd try and teach her all the basic commands. This is precisely the reviewers skill level at a RTS. She is so basic and elementary at this game AND at game reviews.

I always check IGN and Gamespot daily, but today was different. IGN had my back with a treasure chest full of of information which I've been actively seeking to help better understand Blitz mode. Then Gamespot tries to suggest the investment I've made will run out of steam at best or pretty much wasted at worse.

Anyway, if there any RTS fans out there don't put any confidence in this GS review anyway, its essentially a click bait review.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#2 Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69366 Posts

Reviews are the opinions of the person reviewing said game. Very rarely do you stumble upon an objective review.

Primorandomguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#3 Primorandomguy
Member since 2014 • 3368 Posts

You're not allowed to say anything positive about MS here. Prepare for a massive cow herd meltdown.

xantufrog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 xantufrog  Moderator
Member since 2013 • 17875 Posts

"Anyway, if there any RTS fans out there don't put any confidence in GS review, its essentially a click bait review." - it's actually a fine review for an RTS fan. It's less fine for a console RTS fan. Being an exemplary console RTS doesn't make it an exemplary RTS. IMO the review is perfectly and supremely helpful - forget the stupid number, focus on the content and use your head to make some decisions based on what it says. And what it says is "this is a ridiculously streamlined RTS. But it's the best you'll find on a console, so if that's where you're playing, and you want an RTS..." There are two logical conclusions coming out of actually reading the review: a) don't buy it if you want a deep masterclass RTS (true). or b) buy it if you want an RTS on console and/or want a streamlined good time with some friends and don't need depth (true).

UItravioIence

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 UItravioIence
Member since 2016 • 3017 Posts

QuadKnight

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 QuadKnight
Member since 2015 • 12916 Posts

Still a 6/10 flop no matter how much you kick and scream.

"??? Bu...b...bu...but Cowspot!!1"

Avatar image for deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
deactivated-58abb194ab6fb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
Member since 2010 • 3984 Posts

That one person didn't like it and gave it a 6, that's there opinion but sadly you have a bunch of sheep in this world and in this forum that thinks the game or any game that gets that score is bad.

People don't realize that 1 person opinion is there own opinion, not yours.

Pedro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

#8  Edited By Pedro
Member since 2002 • 69366 Posts

@BigShotSmoov007 said:

That one person didn't like it and gave it a 6, that's there opinion but sadly you have a bunch of sheep in this world and in this forum that thinks the game or any game that gets that score is bad.

People don't realize that 1 person opinion is there own opinion, not yours.

When that 1 person opinion helps push their brain dead agenda its law.

Avatar image for deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
deactivated-58abb194ab6fb

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-58abb194ab6fb
Member since 2010 • 3984 Posts

@Pedro:

I'm glad I don't live in the stupid fanboy world following those stupid laws LOL.

I would have no time for gaming which I'm sure most of these goof balls don't.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#10  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58857 Posts

IGN hired Jessica Chobot because she licked a PSP.

Avatar image for the_master_race
the_master_race

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#11 the_master_race
Member since 2015 • 5226 Posts

if you like the game , nothing else matters

FLOPPAGE_50

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#12  Edited By FLOPPAGE_50
Member since 2004 • 4500 Posts

Honestly, I haven't really read a GS review in ages on here, I used to care back during the days of Half-Life, Quake, CS, ect.

This site has changed so much over those years, only reason I come to these forums is for System Wars. (which was amazing back during 03-04 years)

N64DD

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 N64DD
Member since 2015 • 13167 Posts

I stopped paying attention to gamespot reviews years ago. Who cares?

Archangel3371

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#14 Archangel3371
Member since 2004 • 44108 Posts

While I'm still really looking forward to getting the game myself and I hope to enjoy it very much I think the review sounds fine to me. Saying a game runs out of steam is a perfectly legitimate complaint as is sticking to one gameplay mechanic because it's an easier option to execute. While I'm not sure what I'll think of the game because I have yet to play it nothing in the review itself has struck me as unfair.

Wiiboxstation

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Wiiboxstation
Member since 2014 • 1753 Posts

As long as the reviewer can give a logical, reasonable assessment of why they scored a game how they have done than a review how they have that's OK with me.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#16 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58857 Posts
@n64dd said:

I stopped paying attention to gamespot reviews years ago. Who cares?

System Wars, as evident by 100 pages salt.

mark1974

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mark1974
Member since 2015 • 4261 Posts

Why do you guys get upset about review scores? If you have your own mind and have an idea of what you do or don't like to play reviews can give you a clue into what the game is like and the personal opinion of it's value by someone else. So what? Your 6/10 might be my 10/10. Who cares? Do you really need everyone to agree that a game you like is good? Why? Before the internet I never really knew how ridiculous video game fans were.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#18 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

You're really taking the Gamespot review to heart. She has her opinion, she thinks the game is not an effective RTS, and she says so and justifies her stance reasonably well within the course of that review. If you disagree with her, that's fine, and if you enjoy the game, that's great, too- but why write a 550 word long rant at another person for the opinion they have? What do you hope to achieve from that?

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50548 Posts

@primorandomguy: You're not allowed to say anything positive about Sony here. Prepare for a massive lem meltdown.

It's one person's review and yall acting like your life is in danger.

Cows gonna do the same shit when horizon scores below a 9. Just enjoy the game and move on

svaubel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 133

#20 svaubel
Member since 2005 • 4571 Posts

@n64dd: the people that cant form their own opinions

blamix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 blamix
Member since 2006 • 2029 Posts

The game is really shite tbh

hrt_rulz01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 hrt_rulz01
Member since 2006 • 22372 Posts

@primorandomguy said:

You're not allowed to say anything positive about MS here. Prepare for a massive cow herd meltdown.

Lol yep.

Sancho_Panzer

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Sancho_Panzer
Member since 2015 • 2524 Posts

I wouldn't lose any sleep over it. People who are interested in a console RTS will glance down mc, stop at the score, note that it's from gamespot and carry on down the list, before watching some gameplay and making up their own minds. Nobody's actually going to read such a dry review.

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#24 onesiphorus
Member since 2014 • 5245 Posts

People are entitled to their opinions, but for some reason, they cannot express them without being subjected to personal attacks and false allegations. And where is the respect of diverse opinions instead of a "thought police" that condemns people who holds "unpopular" opinions?

samfisher56

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 samfisher56
Member since 2005 • 772 Posts

Game doesnt look good. Halo isnt about RTS. This concept was broken from the start.

pdogg93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 pdogg93
Member since 2015 • 1849 Posts

Lol stay salty lems. 6/10

Fairmonkey

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Fairmonkey
Member since 2011 • 2310 Posts

Maybe Microsoft shouldnt release rehashed trash next time

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#28 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts
@samfisher56 said:

Game doesnt look good. Halo isnt about RTS. This concept was broken from the start.

Halo literally started its life as an RTS before it was turned into an FPS in the last leg of development.

k--m--k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#29 k--m--k
Member since 2007 • 2799 Posts

Why do you care what reviews say if you already like the game?

Reviews are for people who are deciding. And reading one review of anything is not enough to decide.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

A 6/10 is a 6/10. Two out of the last three Halo games got the same 6/10 score. Its over for Halo.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

It's amazing how much this gens lems mirror last gens cows.

Dakur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Dakur
Member since 2014 • 3275 Posts

lol lems are butthurting bad over Flop Wars 2. I think the game is overrated in MC which is easy for a Halo game to be. The GS review is one of the few spot on ones. Come on lems, it's a RTS that can't even be played as a RTS, I know your standards are low but still.

Quicksilver128

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Quicksilver128
Member since 2003 • 7075 Posts

@primorandomguy: How are cows having the meltdown when lemos keep bitching about the flop? Im not saying it wasn't a bad review but lems have been getting completely wrecked.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22632 Posts

I have no dog in the halo wars fight. I don't like halo, never have despite being a big Xbox fan...and not really a fan of rts, so the game could be an 11 and I probably wouldn't change my perspective.

That said, I am sometimes taken back at how well some Ign reviews are articulated. I don't think they're perfect by any stretch but I always feel like they give reasons, not broad strokes and I can give that it's due.

thepclovingguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 thepclovingguy
Member since 2016 • 2059 Posts

Reviews will always be subjective, its impossible to stay objective. Just look what the media is doing with Trump and pewdiepie. Its not that I like Trump, he is partly an idiot, although right on a few things, but its very obvious that the media is being very very subjective towards him. Sorry for going a bit off topic. Point is one should take a review from IGN and Gameplay with a grain of salt. I am personally not impressed with HW 2, too simplistic for my taste.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

I've always questioned GS reviews, especially after I read a GS review of a space/flight sim that got dinged for requiring a joystick.

It's like giving a PC racing sim a low score for requiring a driving wheel and pedals.

nepu7supastar7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 51

#37 nepu7supastar7
Member since 2007 • 6773 Posts

@Trinitarian:

IGN's review doesn't look like it will be any better either way, so I don't really see the problem here. It's not even finished but it might as well be. From the sound of it, it will end somewhere in 7/10.

lrdfancypants

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 lrdfancypants
Member since 2014 • 3850 Posts

@Trinitarian:

The game is, unfortunately for console fans, going to be reviewed by some against the overall RTS genre which it will inevitably fall short of by design. This will result in lower scores by some.

Doesn't mean it won't be fun.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#39 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

Dayum, lems trully are salty over this...

speedfog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#40 speedfog
Member since 2009 • 4966 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

You're really taking the Gamespot review to heart. She has her opinion, she thinks the game is not an effective RTS, and she says so and justifies her stance reasonably well within the course of that review. If you disagree with her, that's fine, and if you enjoy the game, that's great, too- but why write a 550 word long rant at another person for the opinion they have? What do you hope to achieve from that?

Reviews matter for the people that are unsure to buy a game, in this case it left a negative feeling of the game. All good if the person has her opinion, but in this case the wrong person has been chosen for doing the review.

It's like a hardcore Red Orchestra player only having to review a COD game.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#41 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

See, that's the thing though, disagreeing with a review is fine and all, but when a publisher bases the future of a development studio off the critical reception of the game, that's when a 6/10 for a game that may not deserve it becomes a questionable score.

From my reading of the review, other reviews and the general reception of the game, it seems like the reviewer should have been evaluating the game on it's own merits, rather than trying to find a PC-level RTS game in something not designed to be one.

I've not taken Gamespot reviews seriously (in the sense of influencing a purchase) since 2005 and Battlefield 2 getting a 9.3/10 and being a pile of buggy trash on release, but this Halo Wars 2 review is pretty shitty, even for Gamespot standards.

Dakur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 Dakur

@foxhound_fox said:
@charizard1605 said:

See, that's the thing though, disagreeing with a review is fine and all, but when a publisher bases the future of a development studio off the critical reception of the game, that's when a 6/10 for a game that may not deserve it becomes a questionable score.

From my reading of the review, other reviews and the general reception of the game, it seems like the reviewer should have been evaluating the game on it's own merits, rather than trying to find a PC-level RTS game in something not designed to be one.

I've not taken Gamespot reviews seriously (in the sense of influencing a purchase) since 2005 and Battlefield 2 getting a 9.3/10 and being a pile of buggy trash on release, but this Halo Wars 2 review is pretty shitty, even for Gamespot standards.

Hmmm but that's a really weird way to look at it. So a dev releases a RTS game and advertises it as a RTS game and reviewers should be expected not to compare it to other RTS games? I think it is a fair assessment to complain about the controls if other types of controls are better suited for this type of game. If MS closes the studio because the game got a fair score (literally) on GS then the problem is of MS and not of the reviewer and gamers (lems mostly since they are the ones invested more with the xbox) should be giving crap to MS and demanding more compromise to them and not attacking a reviewer because she rationalized the score she gave the way they didn't like it. It would be something if the reviewer wrote "This game sucks" and gives it a score but she laid down her reasons clearly and in a concise way. She's not the only one either since many reviewers have also pointed out similar flaws the game has.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#43 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts

@dakur said:

lol lems are butthurting bad over Flop Wars 2. I think the game is overrated in MC which is easy for a Halo game to be. The GS review is one of the few spot on ones. Come on lems, it's a RTS that can't even be played as a RTS, I know your standards are low but still.

How many games are actually played like a RTS these days?

Trinitarian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#44  Edited By Trinitarian
Member since 2007 • 1407 Posts

You know fellow gamers, I guess I should clarify a small detail as well as a disclaimer. First, the score didn't bother me one way or another. I've played 25 hrs by now so i'm more than sold on it. The score merely sparked my interest as to why it would be a six, no saltly tears involved here. And now with the disclaimer, all I did was watch the video review, then checked out the comments which was invaded by Sony Pony's. I skipped reading it because I didnt want my brain to rot anymore than it did from the video.

I found the video review, not the written content, to be misleading at worse, or down right ignorant at best. The way she glosses over multiplayer in such general terms, while coining new phrases like"it just runs out of steam," would be like a 10 year old trying to give a play by play on live TV for the Superbowl. Its just she's out of her leauge here. I could respect a veteran RTSs player's review even if it was lower than a 6 because their reasoning would involve some form of logical patteren even if it is partly based on opinions.

Sorry folks, the fact is they called up Princess Robot Bubblegum to review the game, she probably got mad after reading some recent comments on her new video, but uh, do you know the rest??? ....;)

Dakur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Dakur

@hiphops_savior said:
@dakur said:

How many games are actually played like a RTS these days?

Well RTS games.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#46 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts
@Trinitarian said:

You know fellow gamers, I guess I should clarify a small detail as well as a disclaimer. First, the score didn't bother me one way or another. I've played 25 hrs by now so i'm more than sold on it. The score merely sparked my interest as to why it would be a six, no saltly tears involved here. And now with the disclaimer, all I did was watch the video review, then checked out the comments which was invaded by Sony Pony's. I skipped reading it because I didnt want my brain to rot anymore than it did from the video.

I found the video review, not the written content, to be misleading at worse, or down right ignorant at best. The way she glosses over multiplayer in such general terms, while coining new phrases like"it just runs out of steam," would be like a 10 year old trying to give a play by play on live TV for the Superbowl. Its just she's out of her leauge here. I could respect a veteran RTSs player's review even if it was lower than a 6 because their reasoning would involve some form of logical patteren even if it is partly based on opinions.

Sorry folks, the fact is they called up Princess Robot Bubblegum to review the game, she probably got mad after reading some recent comments on her new video, but uh, do you know the rest??? ....;)

Plot twist- she's masters in SC2.