IGN Xbox crew damage controls 1080p

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#51 Posted by Ribstaylor1 (1441 posts) -

... That last bit. No these guys have computers in front of them and they aren't even willing to look up shit before they spew crap. If you can't tell the difference between 720p/1080 on a 27 inch screen then something is seriously wrong with your eye sight.

#52 Posted by tdkmillsy (1681 posts) -

Its important but not that important - you wouldn't think so reading the threads on this forum. Its the most important thing in games to PS4 owners yet they ignore the fact PC can do better.

900p - 1080p there is no difference at standard TV viewing distances. If you have a monitor of course you going to see a difference you are sat 2 feet away from the screen.

http://www.engadget.com/2006/12/09/1080p-charted-viewing-distance-to-screen-size/

Get over it guys, people buy the console for the games they want to play, if that was only mulitplats they would buy a PC.

#53 Edited by MiiiiV (533 posts) -

I hooked my gaming pc up to the tv in the living room, a 46" philips a while ago, just to try some things out. And I can easily see the difference between 720p and 1080p when playing crysis 3 from 3 meters away from the tv. Even older games which doesn't have textures that continue to reveal details at 1080p look better at that resolution as it greatly reduces jaggies and look a lot sharper. With movies the difference is not as apparent as with computer graphics but they still look noticeable better at 1080p though.

#54 Posted by 35cent (932 posts) -

That's funny. I can tell the difference between 720p and 1080p pretty easily. They should speak to their optometrist.

#55 Posted by Gatman32 (446 posts) -

If I cared about resolution I would build a gaming PC.

#56 Posted by no-scope-AK47 (3052 posts) -

@miiiiv said:

I hooked my gaming pc up to the tv in the living room, a 46" philips a while ago, just to try some things out. And I can easily see the difference between 720p and 1080p when playing crysis 3 from 3 meters away from the tv. Even older games which doesn't have textures that continue to reveal details at 1080p look better at that resolution as it greatly reduces jaggies and look a lot sharper. With movies the difference is not as apparent as with computer graphics but they still look noticeable better at 1080p though.

Tried the same thing and got the same results. I had to sit far back and turn up the lights before I could not see the difference.

#57 Edited by tormentos (20025 posts) -

#58 Edited by The_Last_Ride (74284 posts) -

@hoosier7 said:

TotalBiscuit sums up what i think of IGN in a recent video pretty well (13:00 onwards if the video doesn't start there). They might as well be a PR wing for some of these companies with the amount of promotional crap they come out with. Unboxings usually aren't the mark of a critique site.

Loading Video...

Giantbomb FTW imo, only site i bother with these days.

i actually agree with him for a change

#59 Edited by Scipio8 (800 posts) -

Its all to do with the size of the TV and viewing distance. With a 46" you should be sitting closer than 6 feet to tell the difference. In other words the best thing about 1080p is that you can sit closer to it and have better visual clarity than if you 720p.

#60 Posted by MlauTheDaft (4441 posts) -

So Xbots humor Xbots?

Normally, I'd be nice but these guys don't have any integrity. That could be said about most of the gaming journalism industry, of course.

#61 Edited by yixingtpot (1420 posts) -

IGN perma banned me 10+ years ago just for stating the truth about Microsoft bribing the press/world to believe their lies, corruption and filth. They are scum. IGN would rather ban an adult paying user(at that time) and refund me my money rather than allow me to state facts over lies. IGN is controlled completely by Microsoft.

Their goal is completely complicit with Microsoft's agenda, they will continue to lie and dumb down console gaming and force the developers to make the weaker Xboner system the 'default' target platform. SO, once again Sony's superior console will be neglected unless the people/gamers make a statement and buy only PS4 which would/will force the developers to develop superior quality console games for the superior console system. PS3 suffered because of Microsoft bribing the industry, let's not let that happen again. PC gaming has nothing to do with console life cycles. If you want to best out of the PS4 we'll have to make PS4 the default system over the Xboner... which basically means we need to make the effort to put Microsoft/Xboner out of business. That's the only way it will happen. If Sony doesn't outsell the Xboner by about a 70/30 ratio or more then we'll probably get the insulting scenario of the PS3 generation being played out all over again. Sony will give top level 1st party games, and the 3rd party games will be made for Xboner and not upgraded for PS4 yet they'll expect us all to accept the crappy dumbed down poop on a stick again. If this plays out, then I'm only buying the 3rd party games when they are $20 or so a year or two down the road.

Only fool support Microsoft in any capacity in this lifetime.

#62 Posted by 001011000101101 (4106 posts) -

Too bad IGN is filled with idiots.

#63 Posted by xxyetixx (1354 posts) -

If I were to walk into a room and there was a TV playing a movie or game and someone asked me what resolution they were watching or playing on I wouldn't be able to say definitively which or what it was, def wouldn't put money on it.

#64 Edited by MlauTheDaft (4441 posts) -

@xxyetixx said:

If I were to walk into a room and there was a TV playing a movie or game and someone asked me what resolution they were watching or playing on I wouldn't be able to say definitively which or what it was, def wouldn't put money on it.

Being unable to pinpoint the resolution used does'nt mean that 720p = 1080p. I can't tell the exact resolution of any ps360 game either, but they all look underwhelming.

#65 Posted by cainetao11 (19289 posts) -

@ActicEdge said:

@GrenadeLauncher said:

Paid professionals.

The only terrible tweet here is the last one. The first 2 aren't offensive to people are they? I sorta do agree that us forum dweller do enjoy shitting on products in our hobby really often. I know I do :(

Good post. Its kinda sad. We will shit on and some even celebrate, an industry downsizing. Now some will say "another company will fill the gap". But are they here now? So when/if one leaves, the industry gets smaller. I don't understand wanting less options. Guess how some cows feel they cant understand buying the weaker system. But then why not go big with PC?

#66 Edited by Shewgenja (10834 posts) -

Whether you're pro XBox or not, you do have to admit that seeing "journalists" have a round table panel essentially damage controlling a product is an acute betrayal of trust.

#67 Posted by xxyetixx (1354 posts) -

@MlauTheDaft: Your right it doesn't mean that 720p=1080p just because you can't walk into a room and pinpoint the difference between them. It just shows how meaningless the argument is. A quality TV will show better 720p than a cheap TV showing 1080p. Some formats are night and day, others are not. It's a fucking retarded argument that gamers with allegiance are having!

#68 Edited by Shewgenja (10834 posts) -

@xxyetixx said:

@MlauTheDaft: Your right it doesn't mean that 720p=1080p just because you can't walk into a room and pinpoint the difference between them. It just shows how meaningless the argument is. A quality TV will show better 720p than a cheap TV showing 1080p. Some formats are night and day, others are not. It's a fucking retarded argument that gamers with allegiance are having!

Well, since I have a good TV, ya'll go on damage controlling while I avoid the console with shit graphics.

#69 Edited by lundy86_4 (44210 posts) -

@yixingtpot said:

IGN perma banned me 10+ years ago just for stating the truth about Microsoft bribing the press/world to believe their lies, corruption and filth. They are scum. IGN would rather ban an adult paying user(at that time) and refund me my money rather than allow me to state facts over lies. IGN is controlled completely by Microsoft.

Their goal is completely complicit with Microsoft's agenda, they will continue to lie and dumb down console gaming and force the developers to make the weaker Xboner system the 'default' target platform. SO, once again Sony's superior console will be neglected unless the people/gamers make a statement and buy only PS4 which would/will force the developers to develop superior quality console games for the superior console system. PS3 suffered because of Microsoft bribing the industry, let's not let that happen again. PC gaming has nothing to do with console life cycles. If you want to best out of the PS4 we'll have to make PS4 the default system over the Xboner... which basically means we need to make the effort to put Microsoft/Xboner out of business. That's the only way it will happen. If Sony doesn't outsell the Xboner by about a 70/30 ratio or more then we'll probably get the insulting scenario of the PS3 generation being played out all over again. Sony will give top level 1st party games, and the 3rd party games will be made for Xboner and not upgraded for PS4 yet they'll expect us all to accept the crappy dumbed down poop on a stick again. If this plays out, then I'm only buying the 3rd party games when they are $20 or so a year or two down the road.

Only fool support Microsoft in any capacity in this lifetime.

lol.

#70 Posted by glez13 (9016 posts) -

@navyguy21 said:

1080p > upscaled 720p > 720p, no matter how you slice it.

Also, back when i had a 40in TV i could still tell the difference between them, doesnt have to be 50in.

Of course all of my TVs are calibrated properly with a super high contrast ratio.

Those crappy 2000:1 walmart TVs cant display the difference.

You got it wrong native is always superior overall. 1080p>720p>upscaled 720p

#71 Posted by MlauTheDaft (4441 posts) -
@xxyetixx said:

1080p is still better than 720p on the same TV, I.E. 1080p is always better than 720p.

Proper monitors are vastly superior to TVs, of course.

#72 Edited by Puggy301 (160 posts) -

This guy couldn't tell the difference between 720p & 1080p either, but he had a valid excuse. What's theirs?

#73 Posted by xxyetixx (1354 posts) -

@Shewgenja: I'm not damage controlling anything, it's a pointless argument, just like the "Oh the grass looks better on this systems version of the game" in previous gens. People get new consoles for the graphics bump and PS4 and X1 provide that slight graphic bump over 360 and PS3.

#74 Edited by R4gn4r0k (17478 posts) -

I just puked a little in my mouth from why I heard at 3:08.

What arrogance, claiming such BS and thinking that you know what you are talking about.

It's not JUST about what size your TV is, it's also about how close you are to it. Are these guys telling me that whatever resolution you put on a smarphone screen doesn't matter, because it's not 50" ? What a load of horse crap.

I can see the difference between 720p and 1080p on my last 32" screens. If these guys want to be taken seriously then they need to do some research before claiming such utter crap.

#75 Posted by Dreams-Visions (26569 posts) -

Pretty embarrassing.

#76 Edited by R4gn4r0k (17478 posts) -

@_Matt_ said:

The difference between 720p and 1080p is night and day on my screens. IGN must sit a long way from their tvs...

They are in America while their TVs are in Europe.

They can't see a difference, brah

#77 Posted by Dreams-Visions (26569 posts) -

I figured you boys would enjoy this:

Alright, fine, let's do some optics calculations.

• A 50" screen with a 16:9 aspect ratio is about 43.579 inches (1.112m) wide by 24.513 (0.623m) tall.
  • At 1920x1080, the pixels would be 0.0227 inches (0.579mm) wide and tall. At 1280x720, they're 0.034 inches. (0.864mm)
  • The typical resolution for a human eye with 20/20 vision is about 2 arcminutes per line pair.
  • This means a feature is no longer resolvable when it's 10,801 times further away from the eye than it is tall/wide. (2 arcminutes / 360 degrees = 10801.08)
  • On a 50" display with a 1080p resolution, individual pixels can no longer be resolved if the viewer is 20.432 feet (6.228m) away from the screen. For the same display at 720p, it's 30.603 feet (9.328m).

I'm sorry, IGN, but you'll need to retake this class. I'll be giving the lectures, and I'm requiring you to sit an additional 10.171 feet away from the whiteboard.

#78 Posted by _Matt_ (9360 posts) -

@R4gn4r0k said:

@_Matt_ said:

The difference between 720p and 1080p is night and day on my screens. IGN must sit a long way from their tvs...

They are in America while their TVs are in Europe.

They can't see a difference, brah

Ahhh....

Well that would certainly explain it :P

#79 Edited by AzatiS (8016 posts) -

@no-scope-AK47 said:

720p upconverted looks soft vs a native 1080p signal on my display. Rez is not everything a calibrated 720p plasma is going to look better than your walmart special 1080p hdtv. At the ces 1080p oled tv looked better than the 4k sets on display IMO.

Still this is a op to downplay the advantage of the ps4 over the x1 this entire console gen. If you repeat a lie often and long enough most people will accept it as fact.

As someone else said ... you definitly having cataract

#80 Posted by glez13 (9016 posts) -

@AzatiS said:

@no-scope-AK47 said:

720p upconverted looks soft vs a native 1080p signal on my display. Rez is not everything a calibrated 720p plasma is going to look better than your walmart special 1080p hdtv. At the ces 1080p oled tv looked better than the 4k sets on display IMO.

Still this is a op to downplay the advantage of the ps4 over the x1 this entire console gen. If you repeat a lie often and long enough most people will accept it as fact.

Nope. He's talking about overall picture quality. The human brain tends to prefer colors over detail. When talking about picture quality resolution is like third or fourth in importance.

#82 Edited by cainetao11 (19289 posts) -

Is this about the same podcast I watched? Because they said it matters. They just will not agree that it is a world ending catastrophe that fanboys make it out to be.

#83 Edited by AzatiS (8016 posts) -

@glez13 said:

@AzatiS said:

@no-scope-AK47 said:

Nope. He's talking about overall picture quality. The human brain tends to prefer colors over detail. When talking about picture quality resolution is like third or fourth in importance.

True . You cant have an overall splendid picture quality when your TV is 1080p and you playing on 720p.

By that logic even a game on 640x480 on a very good monitor can look way better than on a 1080p decent TV on 1080p resolution? No , that wont happen... Except if you play a game on Playstation one and you compared it to a 2014

And ive seen 4k irl ... I just couldnt beleive that kind of resolution could ever exist , side by side comparison with best 1080p latest LED TVs 42 to 50

#84 Edited by aroxx_ab (10713 posts) -

I sit about 1,5meters away from a 46" TV i can see the difference

#85 Edited by Ginosaji (965 posts) -

More pseudoscience on what the "naked eye and perceive." My monitor is 25.5" and I can easily perceive when it's set to the wrong resolution, as well as perceive a difference between 30 fps and 60 fps (no, our eyes do not see at 30 fps). This is just blatant denial.

#86 Posted by arkephonic (6656 posts) -

I stopped watching 10 seconds in after the guy says, "The human eye cannot possibly distinguish the difference between 720p and 1080p unless the TV is 50" or larger."

What the F*** is this S***?

#87 Edited by Crypt_mx (4218 posts) -

@StrongBlackVine said:

IGN should be embarrassed to even allow that video to stay up. It has an overwhelming number of dislikes on YouTube so they are not fooling their audience.

You do not need a 50" TV to tell the difference. Also telling people to "suck it" shows how unprofessional those losers are. And they all look like dorks.

They all look like dorks? You do remember that we all argue day and night on system wars, we are kind of all dorks.

You guys are freaking out because they stated an opinion? Why should they have to take down their video, are they not allowed to say whatever they want? At the end of the day those "dorks" probably get paid more than you do to play video games and make stupid videos about them, so as far as I'm concerned they are doing pretty well for themselves.

As for the actual argument, yes I can tell the difference between 720p and 900p and 1080p as well as 30 and 60fps. But does it matter? Well, my most played next gen game is Killer Instinct and I play it basically whenever someone comes over. Killer Instinct is 720p and 60fps, yet no one seems to care. No one tells me to turn on the PS4 so we can play 1080p games. People want to have fun, and as long as MS is pumping out strong titles the whole performance war is completely and totally irrelevant.

#88 Posted by W1NGMAN- (9962 posts) -

TV size PLUS DISTANCE determines whether the human eye will be able to tell the difference in resolution. smh ... and these guys are "experts"?

#89 Posted by Stevo_the_gamer (43223 posts) -

The difference on televisions can vary to considerable degrees based on the type of TV, distance of watching, and the size, so I can see where folks can make a mountain out of a mole hill. But as a PC gamer, there is a huge difference between playing a game at 720p and 1080p on my monitor. Huge.

#90 Posted by CrownKingArthur (5262 posts) -
@Dreams-Visions said:

I figured you boys would enjoy this:

Alright, fine, let's do some optics calculations.

• A 50" screen with a 16:9 aspect ratio is about 43.579 inches (1.112m) wide by 24.513 (0.623m) tall.
  • At 1920x1080, the pixels would be 0.0227 inches (0.579mm) wide and tall. At 1280x720, they're 0.034 inches. (0.864mm)
  • The typical resolution for a human eye with 20/20 vision is about 2 arcminutes per line pair.
  • This means a feature is no longer resolvable when it's 10,801 times further away from the eye than it is tall/wide. (2 arcminutes / 360 degrees = 10801.08)
  • On a 50" display with a 1080p resolution, individual pixels can no longer be resolved if the viewer is 20.432 feet (6.228m) away from the screen. For the same display at 720p, it's 30.603 feet (9.328m).

I'm sorry, IGN, but you'll need to retake this class. I'll be giving the lectures, and I'm requiring you to sit an additional 10.171 feet away from the whiteboard.

very good post.

#91 Posted by Big_Pecks (5597 posts) -

So did IGN give Titanfall a 10.1 yet?

#92 Posted by Heil68 (46840 posts) -

MS needs all the help it can get. Being blown away in their home territory is cause for concern,

#93 Posted by Mozelleple112 (6701 posts) -

@Gue1 said:

@no-scope-AK47 said:

TV's these days have such wide amount of native contrast that calibration is irrelevant.

Oh my lord... Calibration is irrelevant? You do realize a professional calibrator, using equipment costing $25,000+ can calibrate a mid range TV into looking way better than any high end TV out of the box? You do realize that the picture quality of a TV "out of the box" is only 40% of the potential that it truly has? Buy a calibration disk and you might get 50-60%. Hire a professional who'll charge you $50-100/hr and you'll get 100% of it.

I never understood people who spend $2000-3000 on an HDTV and then doesn't spend the extra $200 to get it calibrated properly and produce image quality twice as good. Well worth the few hundred bucks extra.

#94 Posted by Mozelleple112 (6701 posts) -

@tacoma1972 said:

What a joke. Yeah I can tell the difference. I play on 160" PTA 8000 projector. 720 looks like crap. I will be upgrading to a 4k projector within a year. Microsoft flopped with the xbox 720p.

What's a PTA 8000?

Panasonic's PT-AE8000 you mean?

Good luck on upgrading to 4K projector within a year, I don't think JVC will get getting true 4K in their line up anytime soon, and when they do it'll be for the replacement of the X95 which retails for £8000 and currently Sony's cheapest 4K projector, the Sony VPL-VW500ES retails for nearly £9000... :(

Currently have the Sony HW30es from 2011

Going to have to wait for the X55 series from JVC or Sony's HW55 series gets a 4K version, which is closer to my price range £3000-4000, but that's going to take a couple of years :(

#95 Edited by xxyetixx (1354 posts) -

All the people in here saying they can see the difference, yeah you should. Hell any moron can walk into Best Buy and see TV beside each other or with the line down the center showing you the difference. It's being spoon fed to you.

Now if you had 3 seperate rooms with 40" tv's all playing something else an you were told to go in there and say what resolution it was in you'd all fail, so don't lie.

You could take a PS4 set it on a desk cover it with a X1 empty shell and play it infront of some hard core cow and they'd still look at it and say "oh the PS4 looks so much better than this garbage"

So all in all let the PC guys argue about resolution PC monitors are where the real differences are major and noticeable!

#96 Posted by StrongBlackVine (9469 posts) -

@xxyetixx: It is more than slight for PS4. Look at inFAMOUS 2 compared to Second Son.

#97 Edited by StrongBlackVine (9469 posts) -

@Crypt_mx: I mean their appearances. Ugly weak beta males. They are liars undeserving of respect any more so insults are fair game.

IGN can go to Hell outside Colin(we went to school together), Naomi and a few select others.

#98 Posted by xxyetixx (1354 posts) -

@StrongBlackVine: Look at Infamous SS compared to TLOU. Going from PS3/360 to PS4/X1 wasn't as big as going from Playstation to PS2 was or even PS2/PS3. As this gen moves forward there will be more significant difference but now there isn't, yeah they are a little better to look at, but not as impactful as differences in other gens.

#99 Posted by Jankarcop (10701 posts) -

dat consolite damage control

#100 Posted by StrongBlackVine (9469 posts) -

@xxyetixx: You can't compare an open world game to a mostly inear game. Compare the TLOU to The Order 1886.