IGN Review of The Elder Scrolls Online - "Major Bugs"

#1 Posted by Blabadon (28502 posts) -

"Elder Scrolls Online is fun, as long as you remember it's predominantly an MMO. Watch out for those bugs, though."

• +Entertaining story
  • +Unique crafting
  • +Challenging dungeons
  • –Major bugs
  • –Repetitive Dark Anchors

Not bad. They put 172 hours in before the final score and review. What are you guys thinking so far?

#2 Posted by mems_1224 (48591 posts) -

lol at reviewing an MMO at launch.

#3 Posted by Blabadon (28502 posts) -

@mems_1224: I agree it's a bit silly, but smarter readers would look into the content of the review rather than the score that will forever be emblazoned on the review.

#4 Posted by PrincessGomez92 (3810 posts) -

Major bugs? Sounds like a Betheseda game.

#5 Posted by mems_1224 (48591 posts) -

@Blabadon said:

@mems_1224: I agree it's a bit silly, but smarter readers would look into the content of the review rather than the score that will forever be emblazoned on the review.

Yea but its 9GN so there aren't any smart readers there.

#6 Edited by SolidTy (45945 posts) -

What would shock me is if Bethesda could release an ES game that didn't ship with major bugs.

#7 Posted by lostrib (42876 posts) -

@mems_1224: well its good to know if an mmo is a complete pile of shit beyond saving

#8 Posted by Blabadon (28502 posts) -

@mems_1224: Shooting the messenger :(

#9 Posted by Bigboi500 (31309 posts) -

Not much of an MMO guy so I think I'll pass.

#10 Edited by Truth_Hurts_U (9466 posts) -

• +Entertaining story (Umm no... It's skip worthy more then not).
    • +Unique crafting (No yet again... Each item has a level item, quality item and stat item. So nothing unique.)
    • +Challenging dungeons (Most can be done with no tank. So another lie.)

• –Major bugs (True and painful)
    • –Repetitive Dark Anchors ( Only 3 per zone, you don't have to do them as they are only for achievements.)

I have around 150 hours into the game 49 wood, 49 metal, 49 cloth/leather, 4 zones 100% complete... I'm level 41. I would rate the game a 6.5.

#11 Posted by Blabadon (28502 posts) -

@Truth_Hurts_U said:

• +Unique crafting (No yet again... Each item has a level item, quality item and stat item. So nothing unique.)
    • –Repetitive Dark Anchors ( Only 3 per zone, you don't have to do them as they are only for achievements.)

I have around 150 hours into the game 49 wood, 49 metal, 40 cloth/leather, 4 zones 100% complete... I'm level 41. I would rate the game a 6.5.

Question, I know it's your game and time, and I'm not berating you on this, but why are you putting 150 in a game you don't find, I assume, too fun?

I'm totally guilty of it too (40+ hours in Monster Hunter), but damn, 150 is a lot.

#12 Posted by Daious (2078 posts) -

I enjoy the game but the bugs are horrendous.

I couldn't progress for 5 days because of one.

I do recommend the game but I also recommend waiting unless you are prepared to BETA test

#13 Posted by melonfarmerz (1283 posts) -

@Truth_Hurts_U said:

I have around 150 hours into the game 49 wood, 49 metal, 40 cloth/leather, 4 zones 100% complete... I'm level 41. I would rate the game a 6.5.

You would put 150 hours into a game you give a 6.5?

I don't get how some people have such a good attention span. If I think a game is mediocre, I could never put in more than 10 hours.

#14 Posted by foxhound_fox (90820 posts) -

@princessgomez92 said:

Major bugs? Sounds like a Betheseda game.

Bugs is an inherent part of Bethesda games.

#15 Edited by Truth_Hurts_U (9466 posts) -

@Blabadon: Only because I have nothing better to do. It gets me to play with my friends more. But I really don't see myself playing more then 2 months.

I'm the kind of person who sticks with something till I get my moneys worth. I got about 1 1/2 weeks left of game time. So I will play... I paid $60 after all.

Hey I bought 2 years of prem time for Warthunder and patch 1.39 made me hate the game now. But I'm going to keep playing a few games a day... I don't like wasting money.

#16 Posted by Blabadon (28502 posts) -

@Truth_Hurts_U: Fair enough, it also helps you make a well-rounded opinion of the game in its current state too.

#17 Edited by JangoWuzHere (17477 posts) -

@mems_1224 said:

Whats wrong with that? I think most people would want to know if the game is worth buying now instead of later.

#18 Posted by JangoWuzHere (17477 posts) -

@melonfarmerz said:

@Truth_Hurts_U said:

I don't get how some people have such a good attention span. If I think a game is mediocre, I could never put in more than 10 hours.

I never understood the people that sunk 200+ hours into World of Warcraft and then end up saying that they hate the game.

#19 Posted by CleanPlayer (9822 posts) -

Confirmation that you can loot bodies and take off their clothes?

#20 Posted by Truth_Hurts_U (9466 posts) -

@CleanPlayer:

Nope... Though if you tag a mob and someone kills it... You and them get loot, which is random.

#21 Edited by da_illest101 (7685 posts) -

@melonfarmerz said:

@Truth_Hurts_U said:

Since I did that for other games before, to me it's like I keep on hoping the game will get good, but past a certain point I'm too far in the game to just quit. It didn't happen with many games though ( ff XIII, rdr, gta IV)

#22 Posted by hippiesanta (9992 posts) -

not surprise ... from Bugtesda

#23 Posted by ShepardCommandr (3270 posts) -

Angry Joe's reviews is spot on this time.

#24 Posted by StormyJoe (6571 posts) -

@mems_1224 said:

I have never played an MMO before. Are there usually a lot of bugs at launch?

#25 Posted by _Matt_ (9443 posts) -

I'm glad they at least put many hours in before giving a score unlike many many other review sites that released their review scores within 24 hours of release.

#26 Posted by _Matt_ (9443 posts) -

@StormyJoe said:

@mems_1224 said:

I have never played an MMO before. Are there usually a lot of bugs at launch?

It's not really that, it's more that MMOs get a lot of updates and continual support through it's life. Anything can be changed during the course of it's life, from balancing to complete graphics and quest overhauls.

So basically an MMO is not really 'complete' until a good year or 2 into release.

#27 Posted by Heil68 (47265 posts) -

That's expected of both an MMO and especially anything Bethesda touches.

#28 Posted by lundy86_4 (44340 posts) -

I'm not shocked at the bugs. Hopefully they manage to iron out a solid MMO.

Still, I never had high hopes for this game.

#29 Posted by sts106mat (20425 posts) -

I can see myself ending up buying this for my xboxone. I've never gotten into an MMO, i am not even sure if the gameplay will appeal to me to be honest. but i loved oblivion and skyrim a great deal.

what do the PC players think of it?

#30 Posted by uninspiredcup (12882 posts) -

World of Warcraft king suckers. Always and forever.

#31 Edited by GhoX (5298 posts) -

I'm surprised that "poor management, randomly banning players, slow patching, ignoring beta exploit reports, etc." is not one of those flaws.

On the other hand, I suppose the console version will offer a better experience at launch. Even though I'm mostly a PC gamer, I can say that at the moment ESO is more like an alpha being tested by a couple millions PC gamers, where the developers are only half awake to deal with the discovered (or "rediscovered", if you know what I mean) bugs.

#32 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (16266 posts) -

They could use that description for every game in the series practically. Bethesda relies on their fan base to fix their shit for them, It wasn't going to happen with an mmo however.

#33 Edited by GrenadeLauncher (6256 posts) -

Confirmed blunders of the year:

- Thief

- Tituhfuhh

- TESO

#34 Posted by sts106mat (20425 posts) -

@Truth_Hurts_U said:

@Blabadon: Only because I have nothing better to do. It gets me to play with my friends more. But I really don't see myself playing more then 2 months.

I'm the kind of person who sticks with something till I get my moneys worth. I got about 1 1/2 weeks left of game time. So I will play... I paid $60 after all.

Hey I bought 2 years of prem time for Warthunder and patch 1.39 made me hate the game now. But I'm going to keep playing a few games a day... I don't like wasting money.

Does it feel like skyrim / oblivion? or something else entirely. I haven't played MMOS before and i only play the elderscrolls in first person view, but i spent hundreds of hours playing OBV & Skyrim. Do you think i should give it this a try on XB1 when it eventually arrives?

#35 Edited by GhoX (5298 posts) -

@sts106mat said:

@Truth_Hurts_U said:

Does it feel like skyrim / oblivion? or something else entirely. I haven't played MMOS before and i only play the elderscrolls in first person view, but i spent hundreds of hours playing OBV & Skyrim. Do you think i should give it this a try on XB1 when it eventually arrives?

If you have never played MMOs before, then you will feel that ESO feels nothing like an ES game. However, I have played tons of MMOs before, and I can say that it is more similar to TES games in terms of mechanics and features than any other MMO on the market. I have wrote a short review about the game after 170-ish hours.

In short, the game has decent content, details and mechanics. It's enjoyable when you don't run into problems. However, at the moment the game suffers from lots of bugs, bad designs, exploits, and slow dev response. All of these indicate extremely poor management on part of the devs. When the console version releases, the decent content will still be there, and most of the bugs should hopefully be gone by then. However, it will be the same devs managing the game, the same devs who have shown such poor management and have lost my trust forever.

No, I'm not talking about Bethesda. The people who made ESO are Zenimax Online Studio, a completely separate studio with people from Mythic Entertainment. Ironically Mythic was behind Warhammer Online, which also had decent content but died horribly due to poor management.

#36 Edited by sts106mat (20425 posts) -

@GhoX said:

@sts106mat said:

@Truth_Hurts_U said:

If you have never played MMOs before, then you will feel that ESO feels nothing like an ES game. However, I have played tons of MMOs before, and I can say that it is more similar to TES games in terms of mechanics and features than any other MMO on the market. I have wrote a short review about the game after 170-ish hours.

In short, the game has decent content, details and mechanics. It's enjoyable when you don't run into problems. However, at the moment the game suffers from lots of bugs, bad designs, exploits, and slow dev response. All of these indicate extremely poor management on part of the devs. When the console version releases, the decent content will still be there, and most of the bugs should hopefully be gone by then. However, it will be the same devs managing the game, the same devs who have shown such poor management and have lost my trust forever.

No, I'm not talking about Bethesda. The people who made ESO are Zenimax Online Studio, a completely separate studio with people from Mythic Entertainment. Ironically Mythic was behind Warhammer Online, which also had decent content but died horribly due to poor management.

Thanks for replying, I will read your review. If this were Elderscrolls VI, i'd be all over it without even thinking, but i know that it isn't. Looks like i need to read up about it and watch some videos to try and get a sense of it.

#37 Posted by GhoX (5298 posts) -

@sts106mat: Remember, at its core ESO is still MMO first, TES second. It is also not made by Bethesda. In my opinion, it is just another MMO that happens to have some TES mechanics and lore. You will not have a TES experience, instead you will have a MMO experience that feels similar to TES. I highly recommend trying out some MMOs and see how you feel about the genre while you have the time, before ESO releases on consoles.

#38 Posted by Truth_Hurts_U (9466 posts) -

@sts106mat:

I can tell you, that Skyrim is far better and more detailed world. ESO is content starved, meaning that it does the same thing over and over in each zone. I'm in the 5th zone (The rift) and I think a lot of the quests there are really bad.

If your a fan you should give it a try. You never know you might like it. But it's defiantly isn't a focused game and details you would find in other Elder Scrolls games are missing.

#39 Posted by uninspiredcup (12882 posts) -

Angry Joe tore is apart. Their never was much hope, only a fools hope.

#40 Posted by sts106mat (20425 posts) -

@GhoX said:

@sts106mat: Remember, at its core ESO is still MMO first, TES second. It is also not made by Bethesda. In my opinion, it is just another MMO that happens to have some TES mechanics and lore. You will not have a TES experience, instead you will have a MMO experience that feels similar to TES. I highly recommend trying out some MMOs and see how you feel about the genre while you have the time, before ESO releases on consoles.

I have played one on the 360 called Defiance or something, i couldn't see myself giving it enough time though....it wasn't very interesting world to explore. The only other ones that'd appeal are Starwars one LOTR, both of which are franchises i love, but they've never made me really want to play MMO's.

@Truth_Hurts_U said:

@sts106mat:

I can tell you, that Skyrim is far better and more detailed world. ESO is content starved, meaning that it does the same thing over and over in each zone. I'm in the 5th zone (The rift) and I think a lot of the quests there are really bad.

If your a fan you should give it a try. You never know you might like it. But it's defiantly isn't a focused game and details you would find in other Elder Scrolls games are missing.

thanks for the reply, i am going to read up more about it and see how i feel. like i said, i'd be all over it if was a SP game, but the idea of loads of other players all the time doesn't directly appeal. i am not sure how that will feel for a RPG type experience.

thanks to you both for the input again