IGN 5.9s Alien Isolation

• 51 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 cfisher2833
Member since 2011 • 2150 Posts

Alien: Isolation seemed like the perfect Alien game on paper, and for the first handful of hours it even seems to deliver on its promise on the strength of its outstanding art and sound that faithfully recreates the ambiance of the classic horror film. Instead, what was the Great Xenomorphic Hope ends in another disappointment for a license loaded with interactive-entertainment potential. It’s a shame that Isolation doesn’t track stats, because I’d be curious to know how many of its roughly 15-20 hours I spent hiding in lockers, staring at the motion tracker, and, most of all, how many hundreds (yes, hundreds) of times I died without a chance to save myself.

It may seem strange to complain that a game’s too long, but when the genuine scares of being hunted by an unstoppable predator are so diluted by repetition and padding, Isolation’s epic length really does work against it. Someday, someone is going to make an incredible Alien video game that checks every box. But, sadly, Isolation is not it.

Link

Not terribly surprising. Every game CA has made outside of Total War has been a failure.

Animal-Mother

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#2 Animal-Mother
Member since 2003 • 27362 Posts

Scores literally everywhere.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#3  Edited By MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

The premise of running from a single Alien sounds cool on paper but does'nt make for very interesting gameplay. Can't say I'm surprised.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

Well.... Technically they did give a 9 so its still 9GN Right ?

PapaTrop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#6 PapaTrop
Member since 2014 • 1792 Posts

5.9gn

Legend002

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

User Lists: 1

#7 Legend002
Member since 2007 • 13405 Posts

They tried to get you with that awesome preorder bonus if you preordered it digitally. lol ahahahaha

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

@TheGuardian03 said:

"AI too advanced for us"

anyways it's what i feared. a game like this is not gonna work for 10-15 hours campaign. it should have been a downloadable game like outlast with 5 hours story mode.

reviewer was very harsh on this game.

gonna try it myself and see what's it like.

According to Ars Technica, part of the problem was that gameplay was'nt particularly inspired outside of the eventually frustrating Alien encounters.

Edit:

Personally, I never thought this sounded like a recipe for a great gaming experience. It was always too ambitious for it's own good.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#9 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@TheGuardian03 said:

reviewer was very harsh on this game.

It's batting an 80 on PC, 79 on PS4, that's not even remotely harsh.

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

It's 80 right now on MC, but GS and IGN basically equally trashed it. Hard to tell right now.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

So i just watched Kevin's review and i just don't understand what are the weak points of the game. Is hiding in a closet because a Xeno is in the room ready to r*pe u a bad thing? Or is hiding under a table because there's cyborgs chasing you a bad thing? And what's wrong with looking at the xeno monitor? Its part of the franchise... this ign dude mentions how he died 100+ of times as this was a bad thing lol get better Mr Soccer Mom.

slaves

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#12 slaves
Member since 2004 • 1443 Posts

I'm still hyped for this game and will be picking it up. Looks and sounds really interesting to me.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

I think that IGN is usually among the worst sites for reviews, but that tends to be because they go too easy on games. It's sort of interesting that they gave the lowest review score, but then again niche titles like this tend to have mixed reviews.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

Seems it's another Alien game thats a let down. I don't like the part where you can't save yourself from dying.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

And the Alien brand gets run further into the ground

Avatar image for FreedomFreeLife
FreedomFreeLife

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By FreedomFreeLife
Member since 2013 • 3948 Posts

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60695 Posts

I blame @Salt_The_Fries. This is the 2nd Aliens game he has HYPE, made a thread for and has FLOPPED.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#18  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58822 Posts

@cfisher2833 said:

Alien: Isolation seemed like the perfect Alien game on paper, and for the first handful of hours it even seems to deliver on its promise on the strength of its outstanding art and sound that faithfully recreates the ambiance of the classic horror film. Instead, what was the Great Xenomorphic Hope ends in another disappointment for a license loaded with interactive-entertainment potential. It’s a shame that Isolation doesn’t track stats, because I’d be curious to know how many of its roughly 15-20 hours I spent hiding in lockers, staring at the motion tracker, and, most of all, how many hundreds (yes, hundreds) of times I died without a chance to save myself.

It may seem strange to complain that a game’s too long, but when the genuine scares of being hunted by an unstoppable predator are so diluted by repetition and padding, Isolation’s epic length really does work against it. Someday, someone is going to make an incredible Alien video game that checks every box. But, sadly, Isolation is not it.

Link

Not terribly surprising. Every game CA has made outside of Total War has been a failure.

Avatar image for deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa
deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#19 deactivated-5fc147aeeb0aa
Member since 2009 • 8315 Posts

Lots of variety in reviews so far. I'm inclined to think this more about personal preference than technical or game flaws.

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#20  Edited By donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts

Sounds like somebody isn't very good at stealth games. The PC gamer guy said when he demoed it with other journalists a few months ago, he was the only one who didn't die. As someone who favors stealth games above all others, I'm thinking my own views will be more in alignment with his 93 review, myself.

"It’s a deft blend of stealth and survival horror that, thanks to dynamic AI and clever, systemic design, is much more than the sum of its parts."

Stealth shouldn't be made for the lowest common denominator like practically every other genre you can name. This portion of the PC Gamer review really seals the deal for me... the creative problem solving:

"But as smart as it is, there are ways to exploit and confuse it. Faced with a group of looters blocking an exit, I consider my options. I can shoot them, but then I'd attract the alien. I could toss a Molotov, but I don't have the materials to craft one. But I do have a noisemaker: a device that emits loud, garbled electronic squeals. I hurl it in their direction, then I hear the hiss of the alien dropping out of a vent above them. It's a massacre. Once it's crawled back into its hole, I stroll to the exit, stepping over their mutilated corpses. I used this method a few times, until I developed a weird Stockholm syndrome for the alien, like it was my friend, or a faithful pet. Ripley had a strangely intimate relationship with the aliens she faces in the films, and I felt the same thing happening to me in Isolation."

Pure stealth games aren't about shoehorning your desired play style into all situations. They're about situational awareness and above all, patience. (Incidentally, patience and review deadlines don't mix.) It sounds like it won't be for everybody, sure... but as a stealth zealot, I don't want a stealth game made for everybody. Maybe the criticisms regarding it's length were simply a non-stealth gamer being required to finish a game he or she was terrible at and feeling repeatedly frustrated at the lack of hand-holding. However, if you're the kind of gamer that played MGS3 on European Extreme difficulty, the fact that this game didn't try to appeal to non-stealth players is an asset instead of a liability.

"Combining items and weapons in interesting ways, and playing with the enemy AI, gives the game a lot of unexpected depth, and kept it interesting for the entirety of the 25 hours it took me to finish it. Yeah, that's right: twenty-five hours. This is a long game, but it never outstays its welcome. This is down to the pacing, which is pretty much perfect. It's constantly switching things up so you don't feel yourself slipping into a routine."

I hate sports and racing games, myself, largely because I'm terrible at them, and it wouldn't make much sense for you to decide whether or not to buy the latest Madden or Forza game based on my reviews of either of those probably great games either because those genres aren't in my wheelhouse, and I would be miserable playing them. So talk about how it's a flop if you like, but when you see such polarized review scores, you know that you've got a game that wasn't made for everybody. Fine by me.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17655 Posts

@FreedomFreeLife: Lol.

Liquid_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Liquid_
Member since 2003 • 3832 Posts

too bad its got an 80 on metacritic, which in the end is all that matters

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#23  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

What a disappointment . I avoided videos of this game, so I can experience it myself without knowing anything and expected it to be good . This is indeed, the year of over hyped games. What makes me even more sad is, it's from one of my most favorite developers, Creative Assembly.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

79 on metacritic. Stop worrying, IGN who?

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12060 Posts

@donalbane said:

Sounds like somebody isn't very good at stealth games. The PC gamer guy said when he demoed it with other journalists a few months ago, he was the only one who didn't die. As someone who favors stealth games above all others, I'm thinking my own views will be more in alignment with his 93 review, myself. Stealth shouldn't be made for the lowest common denominator.

I agree. People complain about the dumbing down of games then trash a proper stealth horror game that is difficult. I understand the criticisms about the androids but is that enough to knock it to a 6?

I wonder if you can make it through the entire campaign without dying?

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 R4gn4r0k
Member since 2004 • 46171 Posts

@cfisher2833 said:

Yes, because IGN's opinion is always the truth. They don't like a game = game is a failure

"Call of Duty is the thinking man's shooter" - IGN

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#27 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Other sites are giving it a great score , so it may turn out to be the most underrated title of this year like Shadow warrior . Even Pc gamer gave it 93 . So i'll wait for user reviews or try the game myself .

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#28 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts

@kuu2 said:

@donalbane said:

Sounds like somebody isn't very good at stealth games. The PC gamer guy said when he demoed it with other journalists a few months ago, he was the only one who didn't die. As someone who favors stealth games above all others, I'm thinking my own views will be more in alignment with his 93 review, myself. Stealth shouldn't be made for the lowest common denominator.

I agree. People complain about the dumbing down of games then trash a proper stealth horror game that is difficult. I understand the criticisms about the androids but is that enough to knock it to a 6?

I wonder if you can make it through the entire campaign without dying?

Good question... I wonder if one of the developers could even pull that off. I did hear you can avoid killing any humans, which is totally the route I'm taking. It's not murder if an alien does all the dirty work, right?

chernoalpha527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By chernoalpha527
Member since 2013 • 169 Posts

Its funny how several of the reviews are bashing the game like IGN for have SMART and unpredictable AI??? Uh wft, so your telling me the one time we get a stealth game with great and unpredictable AI its now bad?!

cfisher2833

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 cfisher2833
Member since 2011 • 2150 Posts

@R4gn4r0k said:

@cfisher2833 said:

Yes, because IGN's opinion is always the truth. They don't like a game = game is a failure

"Call of Duty is the thinking man's shooter" - IGN

Eh, it might be good, but it's not as if IGN is the only place that has scored it low. Also, every game other than total war that they've made in the past has been a failure--mediocre probably a better word.

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#31 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

I guess they didn't pay enough.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#32 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

I decreet 2014 to be known as the "Year of Flops" from now on

kozzy1234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

#33  Edited By kozzy1234
Member since 2005 • 35966 Posts

IGN and gamespot didnt really like it, giving it 5.9 and 6/10. On the flipside though, PC gamer gave it 93%, God Is A Geek gave it 90%.

Mr-Powers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Mr-Powers
Member since 2013 • 508 Posts

This game seems super dull and boring from the streams I watched. Not very scary.

It really should have been episodic downloadable or something. 20 hours is too long for a horror game. By then you are just trying to finish it already.

delta3074

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 delta3074
Member since 2007 • 20003 Posts

A film like Alien just doesn't work as a game, the crew being hunted by one alien works in a movie, having only one alien in a game that you run or hide from is just boring. Alien, good movie to Watch Crap concept for a game.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#38  Edited By Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

@kozzy1234 said:

IGN and gamespot didnt really like it, giving it 5.9 and 6/10. On the flipside though, PC gamer gave it 93%, God Is A Geek gave it 90%.

I'm done with main stream reviews, i they give games like CoD or AC a constant 8-8.5 yet give games that actually try something different it's like good luck even getting above a 7.

Also taken from the IGN review

"Alien Isolation seemed like the perfect Alien game on paper, and for the first handful of hours it even seems to deliver on its promise on the strength of its outstanding art and sound that faithfully recreates the ambiance of the classic horror film. Instead, what was the Great Xenomorphic Hope ends in another disappointment for a license loaded with interactive-entertainment potential. It’s a shame that Isolation doesn’t track stats, because I’d be curious to know how many of its roughly 15-20 hours I spent hiding in lockers, staring at the motion tracker, and, most of all, how many hundreds (yes, hundreds) of times I died without a chance to save myself.

It may seem strange to complain that a game’s too long, but when the genuine scares of being hunted by an unstoppable predator are so diluted by repetition and padding, Isolation’s epic length really does work against it. Someday, someone is going to make an incredible Alien video game that checks every box. But, sadly, Isolation is not it."

So now we're gonna knock off scores for dying a lot in video games, being more than 8 hours and having decent AI....ok GG gaming journalism it's been fun but now it's run by bro gamers and people who give bad scores if you don't pay em enough (ok the last one might be over exaggerated but w/e).

Watching the GS review I can see the game being meh during the Android parts but the whole cat and mouse with the Xeno intrigues me cause Xenomorphs are the ultimate predators, they aren't some dumb Alien you see in the typical dude bro action game, just one Xeno is something you should be afraid of and that's what Isolation is showing.

As long as Isolation is leagues better than ACM, it's gonna be a winner in my book when I get it on Tue.

Rictshard

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By Rictshard
Member since 2014 • 265 Posts

I hate this,. I always get excited for a promising horror game like this and Zombie U when the Wii U came out, and they always end up flopping.

I was looking forward to this game, way more than Evil Within.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

Kevin this is how you do a review

http://www.gametrailers.com/reviews/8sbhfm/alien--isolation-review

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Lulu_Lulu

@Ballroompirate

Yeah I saw that one too..... They didn't dive deep enough into the gameplay and mechanics.

DeathLordCrime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 DeathLordCrime
Member since 2014 • 893 Posts

I say its a 8/10 at best

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#43  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

15-20 hours? Wow... and here I thought they wanted the game to be endlessly replayable.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Ouch.

humanistpotato

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 humanistpotato
Member since 2013 • 555 Posts

0/10 2spooky

JohnF111

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#46 JohnF111
Member since 2010 • 14190 Posts

@FreedomFreeLife said:

xD

My thoughts exactly, I had so much running on this game.

chernoalpha527

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 chernoalpha527
Member since 2013 • 169 Posts

The Alien fans now are like battered house wives we keep getting beat down from shit after shit but yet we keep coming back in the hope that something will do the franchise justice.

TheStatusQuo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 TheStatusQuo
Member since 2004 • 4994 Posts

PC Gamer is more credible than IGN, or Gamespot when it comes to this review.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

@chernoalpha527 said:

Its funny how several of the reviews are bashing the game like IGN for have SMART and unpredictable AI??? Uh wft, so your telling me the one time we get a stealth game with great and unpredictable AI its now bad?!

The game is hard. People don't like hard games, they want COD easy.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By Lulu_Lulu

Its the long iteration Process that pisses them off..... Yes.... A perfectly fine difficult game can be ruined very easily simply by how the save system is implimented. They couldve done it like President Evil 5..... If you die you start over at a nearby checkpoint, if you quit the game however, you restart at the beginning of the level...... Alien Isolation could have done this aswell and they could have implimented the harsher save system as a feature only in the highest Difficulty, but nope, shitty save system is implimented as Standard and I see how frustrating that must be when you're still in the learning process of the game.