If you're a pirate, Wii U is the best place for you to be

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by charizard1605 (54385 posts) -

Two of the greatest pirate games of all time, The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, and Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, and the Wii U is the only place where you can play both legally. If you like pirates, and games about pirates, then really, the Wii U is the console to own.

Wii U is Pirate King.

#2 Posted by speedfog (2852 posts) -

Every pc gamer will missread the title x).

#3 Posted by Chozofication (2681 posts) -

I knew what this would be.

The worst 3D zelda in a decade and a multiplat that runs 6-10 fps lower than its current gen counterparts...

#4 Posted by charizard1605 (54385 posts) -

The worst 3D zelda in a decade and a multiplat that runs 6-10 fps lower than its current gen counterparts...

I'm talking about Wind Waker, not Skyward Sword :]

#5 Edited by HarlockJC (25546 posts) -

I was so thinking I would have to close this topic, based on the title...lol

#6 Posted by Chozofication (2681 posts) -

@Chozofication said:

At least skyward sword is a complete game. And Faaar more intuitive. It's still bad though, yeah.

Wind waker is complete shit, bar the ending with ganondorf.

#7 Edited by charizard1605 (54385 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@Chozofication said:

At least skyward sword is a complete game. And Faaar more intuitive. It's still bad though, yeah.

Wind Waker may have more excised parts, yes (I will never argue that), but it still remains the better overall experience to play. The overworld is great, the characterization, graphics, soundtrack, atmosphere, all absolutely wonderful, the ending is amazing, like you said. Really, it needed a couple more dungeons and/or the removal of the Triforce Quest, and it would have been in the running for best Zelda ever.

#8 Edited by Ratchet_Fan8 (5537 posts) -

@speedfog said:

#9 Posted by Chozofication (2681 posts) -

@Chozofication said:

@charizard1605 said:

@Chozofication said:

Wind Waker may have more excised parts, yes (I will never argue that), but it still remains the better overall experience to play. The overworld is great, the characterization, graphics, soundtrack, atmosphere, all absolutely wonderful, the ending is amazing, like you said. Really, it needed a couple more dungeons and/or the removal of the Triforce Quest, and it would have been in the running for best Zelda ever.

Even if it was completed, what was there was completely uninspired, drawn out because of the terrible sailing, and absolutely style over substance (something that Skyward Sword suffers from as well, but not as much). A style which is incredibly annoying to me. As far as atmosphere, it doesn't have any.

Even your quote right here proves that the only reason anyone praises Wind Waker is for anything BUT game design. The most important part anyways, what makes games games - level design.

Man, Nintendo really should have done Twilight Princess HD instead. Esp. since the next game will be in the vein of TP. They chose Wind waker because it required the least amount of work, that's all.

I'll give you one thing, the characters are good.

#10 Posted by charizard1605 (54385 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@Chozofication said:

@charizard1605 said:

@Chozofication said:

Even if it was completed, what was there was completely uninspired, drawn out because of the terrible sailing, and absolutely style over substance (something that Skyward Sword suffers from as well, but not as much). A style which is incredibly annoying to me. As far as atmosphere, it doesn't have any.

Even your quote right here proves that the only reason anyone praises Wind Waker is for anything BUT game design. The most important part anyways, what makes games games - level design.

Man, Nintendo really should have done Twilight Princess HD instead. Esp. since the next game will be in the vein of TP. They chose Wind waker because it required the least amount of work, that's all.

I guess at this point we're just arguing opinion. In my opinion, Wind Waker is far more than the sum of its parts.

I will agree that a Twilight Princess HD would have been nice.

#11 Posted by Chozofication (2681 posts) -

@Chozofication said:

@charizard1605 said:

@Chozofication said:

@charizard1605 said:

@Chozofication said:

I guess at this point we're just arguing opinion. In my opinion, Wind Waker is far more than the sum of its parts.

About Skyward Sword, what do you dislike the most about it?

For me it was the padding and using motion control for everything even when it didn't make sense, and Fi. Oh, Fi... At least Aonuma acknowledges hand holding isn't good, now.

But some of the dungeon design was remarkable. And even though it looked nasty and low res in places, in others it shined.

#12 Posted by Netret0120 (1886 posts) -

Hahahahaha

I am sure I wasn't the only one who TOTALLY thought TC was talking about Piracy and downloading games for free:-P

I admit, I fell for it HARD!!!

PC gamers must have been in disbelief.

#13 Edited by Heil68 (42609 posts) -

I would pick PC for that. It actually has the Age of Pirates, Risen, Age of Sail, sid Meirs Pirates ect ect...Too many to list actually.

#14 Posted by madsnakehhh (13973 posts) -

I really need to get Black Flag, it looks so much like...anything that is not Assasin's Creed, so it should be pretty fun.

#15 Posted by charizard1605 (54385 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@Chozofication said:

@charizard1605 said:

@Chozofication said:

@charizard1605 said:

@Chozofication said:

For me it was the padding and using motion control for everything even when it didn't make sense, and Fi. Oh, Fi... At least Aonuma acknowledges hand holding isn't good, now.

But some of the dungeon design was remarkable. And even though it looked nasty and low res in places, in others it shined.

Well, basically, here's what I thought of Skyward Sword:

+ The music. Oh God the music was so great
+ The dungeon design was amazing. Absolutely amazing, I loved it, on top of the heap with Twilight Princess
+ The motion control for the swordplay worked amazingly well. I went back to playing GCN Wind Waker and Twilight Princess right after Skyward Sword, and I kept swinging the controller haha
+ The story was great, I loved how it brought everything together
+ I loved the presentation elements, and some of the characters like Zelda were very well done

- I hated the padding. Absolutely hated it. The repeated fetch quests before each dungeon, the same boss fight multiple times, the six hour long tutorials, everything was awful. Completely destroyed the pace of the game.
- Speaking of the tutorials, fucking Fi. Fi was awful. She treated me like a five year old with stunted mental growth. She gave away solutions to all the puzzles, even the most obvious ones. And as if Fi wasn't bad enough, the fact that the game would for example go through the full motions of telling me what I had picked up, followed by a short description, followed by an excruciatingly slow sequence where it showed me how to access it in my inventory every time the game was reset sucked.
- The motion controls, outside of the sword fights, absolutely sucked. Yes, that includes archery too. In particular, they were absolutely shoehorned for the flying/swimming/swandiving/walking on logs/key puzzles.
- The game looked awful. it has a stunning, beautiful artstyle, that the Wii simply could not do justice to.
- The fact that it took away overworld and overworld exploration. The reason I play Zelda is to get that sense of a high adventure. Being able to explore the overworld at my own pace, even if said exploration is just an illusion of freedom, is one of the biggest reasons this series appeals to me. When they removed that, they basically removed the primary reason I play these games.

Maybe I'll give this game another shot one day, I don't know, but I gave it a shot twice, and I can't bring myself to go through it again.

#16 Edited by Couth_ (9916 posts) -

I'll take ass creed on PC and Uncharted 4.. thx

#17 Edited by Chozofication (2681 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@Chozofication said:

@charizard1605 said:

@Chozofication said:

@charizard1605 said:

@Chozofication said:

@charizard1605 said:

@Chozofication said:

+ The dungeon design was amazing. Absolutely amazing, I loved it, on top of the heap with Twilight Princess

+ The motion control for the swordplay worked amazingly well. I went back to playing GCN Wind Waker and Twilight Princess right after Skyward Sword, and I kept swinging the controller haha

+ I loved the presentation elements, and some of the characters like Zelda were very well done

- I hated the padding. Absolutely hated it. The repeated fetch quests before each dungeon, the same boss fight multiple times, the six hour long tutorials, everything was awful. Completely destroyed the pace of the game.

- Speaking of the tutorials,

fucking Fi.

Fi was awful. She treated me like a five year old with stunted mental growth. She gave away solutions to all the puzzles,

even the most obvious ones.

And as if Fi wasn't bad enough, the fact that the game would for example go through the full motions of telling me what I had picked up, followed by a short description, followed by an excruciatingly slow sequence where it showed me how to access it in my inventory every time the game was reset sucked.

- The motion controls, outside of the sword fights, absolutely sucked. Yes, that includes archery too. In particular, they were absolutely shoehorned for the flying/swimming/swandiving/walking on logs/key puzzles.

- The game looked awful. it has a stunning, beautiful artstyle, that the Wii simply could not do justice to.

- The fact that it took away overworld and overworld exploration. The reason I play Zelda is to get that sense of a high adventure. Being able to explore the overworld at my own pace, even if said exploration is just an illusion of freedom, is one of the biggest reasons this series appeals to me. When they removed that, they basically removed the primary reason I play these games.

Maybe I'll give this game another shot one day, I don't know, but I gave it a shot twice, and I can't bring myself to go through it again.

What? Archery was the best part of the controls! lol Seriously, it felt so good. Swordplay was pretty crap, outside of mini bosses and bosses. For normal enemies, it felt pointless, because there was no challenge and it got very repetitive. It was never a chore, though.

I agree, overall. I too only played through it twice, because I would thrown my TV out the Window if I had to see Fi, the padding and the unnecessary terrible motion controls, and seeing the same item pick ups hundreds of times again.

For every good thing there are 10 bad things on top of them, and it's hardly worth it to see what's good.

#19 Edited by PyratRum (529 posts) -

Uh.... Wind Waker is far from a "pirate" game. Just because you can sail doesn't make it so.

The PC has far, far more pirate and pirate themed games than any other platform.

#20 Posted by charizard1605 (54385 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@Chozofication said:

@charizard1605 said:

@Chozofication said:

@charizard1605 said:

@Chozofication said:

@charizard1605 said:

@Chozofication said:

fucking Fi.

Fi was awful. She treated me like a five year old with stunted mental growth. She gave away solutions to all the puzzles,

And as if Fi wasn't bad enough, the fact that the game would for example go through the full motions of telling me what I had picked up, followed by a short description, followed by an excruciatingly slow sequence where it showed me how to access it in my inventory every time the game was reset sucked.

What? Archery was the best part of the controls! lol Seriously, it felt so good. Swordplay was pretty crap, outside of mini bosses and bosses. For normal enemies, it felt pointless, because there was no challenge and it got very repetitive. It was never a chore, though.

I agree, overall. I too only played through it twice, because I would thrown my TV out the Window if I had to see Fi, the padding and the unnecessary terrible motion controls, and seeing the same item pick ups hundreds of times again.

For every good thing there are 10 bad things on top of them, and it's hardly worth it to see what's good.

I don't know lol, my cursor kept skipping. I liked the actual sword play, it felt intuitive, even though it did get repetitive, as you said.

Skyward Sword was the epitome of regressive game design. One step forward, five steps back. Thankfully, they seem to be on the right track again with A Link Between Worlds.

#21 Posted by Ballroompirate (21622 posts) -

@Chozofication said:

Sometimes I want to smack you

#22 Posted by Chozofication (2681 posts) -

I don't know lol, my cursor kept skipping. I liked the actual sword play, it felt intuitive, even though it did get repetitive, as you said.

Skyward Sword was the epitome of regressive game design. One step forward, five steps back. Thankfully, they seem to be on the right track again with A Link Between Worlds.

Oh yeah,That's a big problem as well. One of the biggest, actually. The controls were *constantly* off center. Showed the limitations of the motion controls, I wouldn't mind them going back to motion control if they ever overhaul the wii mote and nunchuck. Needs to be much more ergonomic, too.

It was something you had to account for, you had to make sure you were aiming at the center before anytime you used the bow, slingshot ect. When you did that, the bow really shined.

#23 Edited by KBFloYd (12743 posts) -

wo of the greatest pirate games of all time, The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, and Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, and the Wii U is the only place where you can play both legally. If you like pirates, and games about pirates, then really, the Wii U is the console to own.

Wii U is Pirate King.

#24 Posted by MBirdy88 (7141 posts) -

I can play both on my PC... along with every other zelda title (thus far). and the best version of black flag.

"legally" nobody gives a f*ck about the "E" word beyond people making excuses not to include it as an advantage for PC here. in the real world... nobody cares.

#25 Posted by foxhound_fox (86852 posts) -

@speedfog said:

This stereotype is just dumb. "Per capita" consoles have higher piracy rates than PC, it only seems less because the install base of consoles is drastically fewer.

On another note, I still need to finish ACIII and move on it IV.

#26 Posted by freedomfreak (38162 posts) -

19something rehashes

#27 Posted by fugwit (477 posts) -

@pyratrum said:

Uh.... Wind Waker is far from a "pirate" game. Just because you can sail doesn't make it so.

The PC has far, far more pirate and pirate themed games than any other platform.

umm it has pirates in it

#28 Edited by Ghost120x (3637 posts) -

So two games? One of which is a multiplat and the other I played years ago.

Nope.

#29 Posted by PyratRum (529 posts) -

@fugwit said:

@pyratrum said:

umm it has pirates in it

Far Cry 3 has a shit ton of them.

Doesn't make it a pirate game.

#30 Posted by PhazonBlazer (11379 posts) -

But can you do what you want cause a pirate is free?

#31 Posted by handssss (1623 posts) -

Gimped Assassins Creed game and a shiny gamecube port.

did this need a thread?

#32 Edited by FreedomFreeLife (1833 posts) -

wo of the greatest pirate games of all time, The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, and Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, and the Wii U is the only place where you can play both legally. If you like pirates, and games about pirates, then really, the Wii U is the console to own.

Wii U is Pirate King.

Why would i need Wii U to pirate game when everyone can pirate Wii U games on PC with higher res and better frame rate? Also Black Flag is worst port on Wii U while PC port is best.

SO YOU FUCKING FAILED!!! GO AWAY NOW !!!!

#33 Edited by challenger_155 (47 posts) -

We, the PC Gaming Master Race, like our games free and with no strings attached. We enjoy pirate games simply because we are the masters of the art of piracy. Nothing beats the feel of playing AC4, AC5, AC100 and other pirate-themed games by obtaining it through piracy. If you haven't played any of these games yet, it only costs $0.00 to try, so feel free to do so.

#34 Posted by ShepardCommandr (2121 posts) -

#35 Edited by senses_fail_06 (6735 posts) -

This thread reaches levels of stupid that I did not think were possible.

#36 Edited by _TheJoker_ (6013 posts) -

@speedfog said:

Non PC gamers as well :P

#37 Posted by Lucianu (9287 posts) -

#38 Posted by AzatiS (6986 posts) -

Two of the greatest pirate games of all time, The Legend of Zelda: The Wind Waker, and Assassin's Creed IV: Black Flag, and the Wii U is the only place where you can play both legally. If you like pirates, and games about pirates, then really, the Wii U is the console to own.

Wii U is Pirate King.

I played both on PC already so Wii U is not the best platform for Pirates !!!! PC is for pirates !! hahaha!

#39 Posted by hiphops_savior (7670 posts) -

PC is the best place if you're a pirate, it has Dolphins.

#40 Edited by k--m--k (994 posts) -

Maybe I should give Zelda a chance

#41 Posted by _Matt_ (8756 posts) -

Arrrrr!

#42 Posted by speedfog (2852 posts) -

@speedfog said:

This stereotype is just dumb. "Per capita" consoles have higher piracy rates than PC, it only seems less because the install base of consoles is drastically fewer.

On another note, I still need to finish ACIII and move on it IV.

Uhu...

#43 Posted by R4gn4r0k (16043 posts) -

fucking Fi.

Doesn't matter how good the rest of the game is, when the gameplay is bad (i.e. the motion controls).

I didn't like a single thing about the motion controls, not the sword fighting, not the use of items, not everything else they tried to shoehorn motion controls in. It felt more like I was playing some techdemo to show off their new motionplus more than I was playing a LOZ game.