If you haven't played a FPS on a proper PC before

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Socijalisticka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Socijalisticka
Member since 2011 • 1555 Posts

I know people constantly ramble on about the capabilites of the PC. But JUST DO IT. I neither understood what the fuss was about, at the time controllers seemed perfectly feasible to me. After playing on a PC for a year, and again playing FEAR on the 360, the difference was night and day. I remember the xbox version of FEAR being challenging on extreme diff., while on the PC it was a piece of cake. Now I understand why. It actually feels like you are crippled and stuffed in a box with no room to stretch. Going from 60 fps to 30 on a FPS is just awful. The physics and lighting of the game is completely stripped out, to the point that the act of shooting enemies is not as pleasurable. Every other FPS i've tried after suffered as well. And these are the games I used to love.

Not sure if there are people who fall under this criteria, but seriously, you deserve better.

zeta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#2 zeta
Member since 2003 • 1189 Posts
I hear you on this one, but for the majority, your thread may fall on deaf ears (err.. blind eyes).
mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts
Played FPS games on PC, honestly still can't see much of a difference other than better graphics. I still prefer a controller.
Masenkoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

#4 Masenkoe
Member since 2007 • 4897 Posts

I hear you on this one, but for the majority, your thread may fall on deaf ears (err.. blind eyes).zeta

True. This is System Wars.

Personally I hate playing FPS games on anything other than Mouse and Keyboard.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 clyde46
Member since 2005 • 49061 Posts

[QUOTE="zeta"]I hear you on this one, but for the majority, your thread may fall on deaf ears (err.. blind eyes).Masenkoe

They feel so slow, third person on the other hand feels just right with a controller.
Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#6 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

PC has superior rendering benefits, undoubtedly, but I'm still not adjusted to K+M controls to prefer them over dual joysticks. Simple matter of preference.

However, games on PC severely trounce console versions due to hardware limitations. Anybody denying that fact is delusional.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#7 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

I'm in the same boat as you. After playing tons of first person games on PC over the past year and a half. I cannot play with a gamepad. I broke one of my finers a few months ago and tried playing Killing Floor with a gamepad and was awful at it. I could hard get any headshots since there isn't tons of aim assist like on consoles.

DragonfireXZ95

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 DragonfireXZ95
Member since 2005 • 26645 Posts
[QUOTE="Masenkoe"]

[QUOTE="zeta"]I hear you on this one, but for the majority, your thread may fall on deaf ears (err.. blind eyes).clyde46

They feel so slow, third person on the other hand feels just right with a controller.

Meh, I still hate controlling 3rd person shooters with a controller. Assassin's Creed works well with it on the other hand, and other games that require more melee and movement than shooting.
Masenkoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Masenkoe

Nope I agree I play 3rd Person Shooters with controller

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 BPoole96

[QUOTE="Masenkoe"]

[QUOTE="zeta"]I hear you on this one, but for the majority, your thread may fall on deaf ears (err.. blind eyes).clyde46

They literally feel like Tank simulators. Back when I used to play CoD4 on PS3 I would have the sensitivity at 3. I tried it a couple months back and felt like the game was in slow motion. If I turned the sensitivity up too high, then it moved like PC, but then I couldn't aim at all.

Masenkoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Masenkoe

CoD4 is still great on PC by the way, I was actually playing it earlier tonight. hahaha I love that game. Can't imagine it with a controller.

clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 clyde46

[QUOTE="clyde46"][QUOTE="Masenkoe"]

BPoole96

They literally feel like Tank simulators. Back when I used to play CoD4 on PS3 I would have the sensitivity at 3. I tried it a couple months back and felt like the game was in slow motion. If I turned the sensitivity up too high, then it moved like PC, but then I couldn't aim at all.

I always annoy me friends when I have to pause the game to crank the sensitivity up.
clyde46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 clyde46
[QUOTE="clyde46"][QUOTE="Masenkoe"]

DragonfireXZ95

Meh, I still hate controlling 3rd person shooters with a controller. Assassin's Creed works well with it on the other hand, and other games that require more melee and movement than shooting.

I agree Gears felt a bit odd after playing with a KB/M for ages but I find games like GTA, Sleeping Dogs and AC to work just fine. If anything, a KB/M actually hinders the experience for me.
Socijalisticka

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Socijalisticka
Member since 2011 • 1555 Posts

With FEAR, watching enemies being torn apart, thrown around the envrionment, the spectacular lighting during firefights, having grenades and bullet impact the environment in marvelous ways, the buildup of blood and dust, all of this at a smooth 60 fps. The console version is not even half the game.

Masenkoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Masenkoe

[QUOTE="DragonfireXZ95"][QUOTE="clyde46"] They feel so slow, third person on the other hand feels just right with a controller.clyde46

I agree Gears felt a bit odd after playing with a KB/M for ages but I find games like GTA, Sleeping Dogs and AC to work just fine. If anything, a KB/M actually hinders the experience for me.

Mhmm, it's a good thing we still get controller support! l0l

15strong

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 15strong
Member since 2007 • 2806 Posts

I don't know about you noobs, but I fall under the criteria that can switch back and fourth between both. Being able to appreciate and enjoy both experiences, now that is something I deserve.

jun_aka_pekto

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 jun_aka_pekto
Member since 2010 • 25255 Posts

The only FPS I like with a controller is Bioshock. The rest I prefer with a mouse and keyboard. The FPS I have on consoles like KZ3, I wish I can play with a mouse and keyboard. Mouse look is very important to me in an FPS.

On the other hand, I much prefer TPS with a controller.

Masenkoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Masenkoe

The only FPS I like with a controller is Bioshock. The rest I prefer with a mouse and keyboard. The FPS I have on consoles like KZ3, I wish I can play with a mouse and keyboard. Mouse look is very important to me in an FPS.

On the other hand, I much prefer TPS with a controller.

jun_aka_pekto

I really want one of those XIM moust and keyboard adapters for consoles. They're like $90 though and I question how well they'd work, really. From CoD Gameplay I've watched though it seems great.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 BPoole96
[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

[QUOTE="clyde46"] They feel so slow, third person on the other hand feels just right with a controller.clyde46

I always annoy me friends when I have to pause the game to crank the sensitivity up.

Same, I like that my mouse has buttons to change the sensitivity on the fly.
Ly_the_Fairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Ly_the_Fairy
Member since 2011 • 8541 Posts

Depends on experience, and the games you play.

When I was first getting into PC fps games I could easily switch between k/m, the N64 controller, and the Xbox controller to play Counter Strike, Goldeneye, and Halo respectively, and couldn't really tell the difference.

But now, 12 years later, I max the sensitivity on my mouse, and I can easily use 40+ buttons/button combinations on my keyboard (not that FPS games really need that many buttons). From a gameplay perspective it's pretty insane just what a k/m can allow one to do in a game, and it's no surprise that console FPS games tend to have very sluggish, slow-paced gameplay, and very "horizontal" level design.

slipknot0129

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 slipknot0129
Member since 2008 • 5832 Posts

I have a state of the art gaming pc and it is amazing how good the graphics are.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

I'm in the same boat as you. After playing tons of first person games on PC over the past year and a half. I cannot play with a gamepad. I broke one of my finers a few months ago and tried playing Killing Floor with a gamepad and was awful at it. I could hard get any headshots since there isn't tons of aim assist like on consoles.

BPoole96

Oh god KF with a gamepad just sounds unbearable. I probably couldnt hit anything let alone maneuver correctly/turn fast enough

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

I have a state of the art gaming pc and it is amazing how good the graphics are.

slipknot0129

dont you have an X51?

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 BPoole96

[QUOTE="BPoole96"]

lostrib

Oh god KF with a gamepad just sounds unbearable. I probably couldnt hit anything let alone maneuver correctly/turn fast enough

It was horrible. I ended up just using the demolitions class with grenade launchers since I didn't have to be accurate.

Masenkoe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Masenkoe

[QUOTE="slipknot0129"]

lostrib

dont you have an X51?

That's the hilarious part l0l.

hippiesanta

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 hippiesanta
Member since 2005 • 10301 Posts
shooting with mouse and keyboard ........ el oh el
cain006

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 38

#27 cain006
Member since 2008 • 8625 Posts

FPS games meant for pc played on a console are horrible. FPS games meant for a controller played on pc are annoying and slow. They require different ways of playing. For example, the halo series is amazing on console. Wouldn't expect Halo reach to be very great on pc. And playing Quake Live on a controller would be laughable.

That said, multiplayer games are definitely fine with a controller on pc. I've played Tribes ascend with a controller for a few matches and I still did better than average.

Vari3ty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Vari3ty
Member since 2009 • 11111 Posts

Can't do it. Hate the keyboard too much.

Farsendor1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Farsendor1
Member since 2012 • 462 Posts

i have gotten so used to playing fps on k&m that its hard using a controller. the feel of the game is just slow i can't stand it

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

Dat mouse precision

iamrob7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 52

#31 iamrob7
Member since 2007 • 2138 Posts

Can't stand to use a controller for any game that requires aiming of any kind. It feels far too clunky. Platformers and sports games are what controllers are for.

R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46233 Posts

[QUOTE="zeta"]I hear you on this one, but for the majority, your thread may fall on deaf ears (err.. blind eyes).Masenkoe

Controllers suck for FPS games. Either they have to include auto aim to make it work, which is basically cheating as it require almost no effort from you to place a good shot. Or they don't include auto aim and then aiming becomes really hard, especially on the PS3 controller.

But of course people who have never played FPS with MKB will say how much controllers is better;

It's like saying MKB is better for racing games and soccer games :lol:

RTCWGR1SCRB6H2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 RTCWGR1SCRB6H2
Member since 2012 • 271 Posts

[QUOTE="Masenkoe"]

[QUOTE="zeta"]I hear you on this one, but for the majority, your thread may fall on deaf ears (err.. blind eyes).R4gn4r0k

Controllers suck for FPS games. Either they have to include auto aim to make it work, which is basically cheating as it require almost no effort from you to place a good shot. Or they don't include auto aim and then aiming becomes really hard, especially on the PS3 controller.

But of course people who have never played FPS with MKB will say how much controllers is better;

It's like saying MKB is better for racing games and soccer games :lol:

Is it really that difficult to understand that some people prefer the console fps games to the pc fps games? No one thinks that the controller is more accurate than the k&m but it's not extremely difficult to use the controller effectively like all the pc gamers seem to think.
whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

I definitely agree. The past week/weekend I played through Half Life 2 again on PC (first go round was on 360). Incredible difference. Then I just played some split screen Blacks Ops 2 with a friend on his PS3 and even though I've been used to playing Playstation all my life I found it incredibly awkward to control with the thumbsticks

Ly_the_Fairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Ly_the_Fairy
Member since 2011 • 8541 Posts

The past week/weekend I played through Half Life 2 again on PC (first go round was on 360).

whiskeystrike

This pleases me.

p4s2p0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 p4s2p0
Member since 2010 • 4167 Posts
I have played on pc but I don't like mouse/kb for gaming and setting up my controller for each game was a pain. I like a challenge so being easier on pc is a negative for me when you see it as a positive thing.
TrainerCeleste

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 TrainerCeleste
Member since 2012 • 1633 Posts
I agree :) I don't play shooters anymore with controllers really :P It feels too awkward after you play with a mouse imo :P
Avatar image for GamingVengeance
GamingVengeance

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 GamingVengeance
Member since 2012 • 1874 Posts

slipknot0129
Lol good one
beganoo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 beganoo
Member since 2009 • 1642 Posts

If you know how to play shooters on K M properly (key world here is properly) the controller is a complete joke. Its not an opionion or preference or whatever. If you know how to use KM its soooo much better for shooters.No aim assists, no bull**** and you still will be much much faster and more accurate then anyne using a controller.

Its like a kids bicycle vs a harley davidson.

And I know a lot of console exclusive gamers will go hurptie druptie durp, controller is the best for shooters durp but no.. you are worng.If you don't think you're worng you are still worng. Wrong, wrong wrong. :)

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#40 Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

No because I'm not much of a shooter fan to begin with.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60711 Posts
They only think I play these days with k/m is FPS, Diablo3 and RTS's.
locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts
I prefer controller. M/KB is accurate but uncomfortable. Also, a stick for movement is way better then WASD. Controllers all the way for me.
R4gn4r0k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 R4gn4r0k  Online
Member since 2004 • 46233 Posts

Is it really that difficult to understand that some people prefer the console fps games to the pc fps games? No one thinks that the controller is more accurate than the k&m but it's not extremely difficult to use the controller effectively like all the pc gamers seem to think.RTCWGR1SCRB6H2

Yeah it is. If exclusive FPS like Halo and Killzone would be on PC what is the point of getting them for console ?

The only reason I get them on consoles is because they are exclusive.

And yeah there are people that seem to think controllers are objectively better than KBM on this forum.

The lack of precision on controllers forces devs to implement stuff like auto aim. They must do that for PC gamers seing as you say only PC gamers have difficulties using one:roll:

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

I definitely agree. The past week/weekend I played through Half Life 2 again on PC (first go round was on 360). Incredible difference. Then I just played some split screen Blacks Ops 2 with a friend on his PS3 and even though I've been used to playing Playstation all my life I found it incredibly awkward to control with the thumbsticks

whiskeystrike

This is what happens. Before you do it you think "Can't be THAT much different can it?" then you play PC and go back to a console controller and FPS games are unbearably clumsy to control. You start to notice it in gameplay videos too and see people over aiming all the time without auto aim.

PC is where it's at for FPS games, a mouse is the greatest peripheral for them and anyone who says sticks are good haven't played on PC

sirk1264

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#45 sirk1264
Member since 2003 • 6242 Posts
It's a personal preference for which method of control you like to use in FPS games. I personally like the controller more while I acknowledge that KB/M may be more precise. Controller just feels more comfortable to me. No one is right or wrong for which control method they like.
Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

[QUOTE="whiskeystrike"]

seanmcloughlin

This is what happens. Before you do it you think "Can't be THAT much different can it?" then you play PC and go back to a console controller and FPS games are unbearably clumsy to control. You start to notice it in gameplay videos too and see people over aiming all the time without auto aim.

PC is where it's at for FPS games, a mouse is the greatest peripheral for them and anyone who says sticks are good haven't played on PC

This. Not to mention the fps difference in most games is also a huge change. Ofcourse CoD and other 60 fps console games are an exception, but a rare exception. Lets not even get into gfx.

RTCWGR1SCRB6H2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 RTCWGR1SCRB6H2
Member since 2012 • 271 Posts

[QUOTE="whiskeystrike"]

seanmcloughlin

Please name me 2 pc fps games that have come out in the last 3 years that are actually good. The videos you see of console fps game play are made by bad players. Controllers are more competitive and take far more skill. I used to play quake live with a 360 controller and was amazed at how easy it was
Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

[QUOTE="whiskeystrike"]

RTCWGR1SCRB6H2

Controllers are more competitive and take far more skill. I used to play quake live with a 360 controller and was amazed at how easy it was

Too obvious.

1080pOnly

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 1080pOnly
Member since 2009 • 2216 Posts

[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

[QUOTE="whiskeystrike"]

RTCWGR1SCRB6H2

Please name me 2 pc fps games that have come out in the last 3 years that are actually good. The videos you see of console fps game play are made by bad players. Controllers are more competitive and take far more skill. I used to play quake live with a 360 controller and was amazed at how easy it was

How does auto-aim take more skill?

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#50 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts
[QUOTE="seanmcloughlin"]

[QUOTE="whiskeystrike"]

RTCWGR1SCRB6H2

Single-player: Metro 2033, Stalker: Call of Pripyat Multiplayer (2012 alone): Tribes Ascend, CS:GO If you think controllers are seriously more competitive and take more skill you are bad