If You Care so Much About Graphics, Why Do You Buy Consoles?

• 67 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

seabiscuit8686

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By seabiscuit8686
Member since 2005 • 2862 Posts

Honest question...

If graphics are as important to you all as you make it seem on these forums (every topic is a graphics debate), why not just buy a PC? If you want to hook it up to your TV, lay on your couch and use a controller, you can do that.

If it is because of the exclusives, that's great, but then it's not the graphics that are driving your decision, so why are you making such a point of it?

They are definitely more expensive up front, but I can't imagine that you can't make the cost up with cheaper games and free online.

I'm not here bashing consoles. I'll be buying a Wii U simply to get Mario / Zelda / SSB. I have a 3DS for Mario / Zelda / Pokemon. I have a 360 for Halo. But if I actually care about graphics, I hop on my PC...

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

It ain't because of the graphics.

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts

STFU and stop generalizing jerk.. I would prefer everything was on PC but it's not. And many games get garbage tier ports on PC (Dark Souls). You wanna play all the best games you gotta get consoles as well as a PC. And for those games that don't go to PC, the graphics still matter

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4  Edited By Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

If you don't care about better hardware, why do you upgrade? After all, PS2 has thousands of games you likely haven't played.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

User Lists: 5

#5  Edited By PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

@freedomfreak said:

It ain't because of the graphics.

You mean you don't care about graphics and resolutions?

seabiscuit8686

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 seabiscuit8686

@Shewgenja said:

If you don't care about better hardware, why do you upgrade?

I do care about better hardware, and I do upgrade. So not sure what you mean by this.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 freedomfreak
@princessgomez92 said:

I can appreciate a good looking game, but it's not the most important thing for me.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

#8 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

@freedomfreak said:
@princessgomez92 said:

I can appreciate a good looking game, but it's not the most important thing for me.

You've got your priorities backwards, babe. Graphics and resolutions are the most important things.

Shewgenja

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Shewgenja
Member since 2009 • 21456 Posts

@seabiscuit8686 said:

@Shewgenja said:

I do care about better hardware, and I do upgrade. So not sure what you mean by this.

I think my point is that all gamers care about power to a large degree. Whether that bridges the gap to building a gaming PC remains to be seen. It's a different animal and requires a lot of knowledge (picking out the right platform and upgrades, for instance).

As a PC gamer, I thoroughly enjoy the process of building a machine and upgrading it. It's part of the fun of it all. However, most people are content with something that has a power plug and an HDMI cable and "just works." Console gaming and PC gaming are, essentially, two very different scenes in that respect.

seabiscuit8686

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 seabiscuit8686

@freedomfreak said:
@princessgomez92 said:

My point is, why is the debate on this forum Xbox vs. PS and the main determination is graphics. If that is case, why isn't the debate Xbox vs. PS vs. PC. Why do people not consider buying a PC if graphics are so important?

Again, if graphics aren't important to you and gameplay / exclusives are, then it is completely understandable. It is just a bit ridiculous that people care so much about graphics but don't go buy a PC

good_sk8er7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#11 good_sk8er7
Member since 2009 • 4327 Posts

If you aren't a hermit, console graphics can still be impressive. Perspective.

I like consoles better, just a better experience to me.

That being said, I do game on PC, but my rig can't even compete with my PS3.. And I'm not bothering with upgrading.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

Because with consoles I only have to think about the game I'll buy next and not about if my drivers are up to date, at what setting will I be able to run the game, bad controller compatibility... And not to mention that all my fav franchises are console exclusive and them couch.

But now this is a question for you, why console gamers can't talk about graphics anyway? Why can't we complain about a game like DR3 dropping frames to 10? Why can't we talk about the fact that the PS4's cheaper but more powerful? PC has the HW but COD Ghosts still runs like shit. Graphics are more than just HW specification and that has been shown time and time again by the Naughty Gods.

Consoles > PC always and forever.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@seabiscuit8686 said:

@freedomfreak said:
@princessgomez92 said:

My point is, why is the debate on this forum Xbox vs. PS and the main determination is graphics. If that is case, why isn't the debate Xbox vs. PS vs. PC. Why do people not consider buying a PC if graphics are so important?

Again, if graphics aren't important to you and gameplay / exclusives are, then it is completely understandable. It is just a bit ridiculous that people care so much about graphics but don't go buy a PC

because it costs significantly more

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

I prefer to play on PC, but not because of the graphics since I can't max out every game but because of the experience I get on my PC.

If the Xbox One had these amazing games compared to the PS4, I'm sure plenty of people would go with that instead. The experience is a plus, and Xbox delivers when it comes to experience, at least it was last gen.

Now it's a new gen and Sony has made big changes in online experience and their console.

Avatar image for deactivated-59b71619573a1
deactivated-59b71619573a1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 deactivated-59b71619573a1
Member since 2007 • 38222 Posts

Because consoles are about decent graphics at a moderate price

PC gaming hardware is expensive as fvck and I hate when some people try to downplay it

seabiscuit8686

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By seabiscuit8686

@Shewgenja said:

@seabiscuit8686 said:

@Shewgenja said:

I think my point is that all gamers care about power to a large degree. Whether that bridges the gap to building a gaming PC remains to be seen. It's a different animal and requires a lot of knowledge (picking out the right platform and upgrades, for instance).

As a PC gamer, I thoroughly enjoy the process of building a machine and upgrading it. It's part of the fun of it all. However, most people are content with something that has a power plug and an HDMI cable and "just works." Console gaming and PC gaming are, essentially, two very different scenes in that respect.

Excellent points. I suppose consoles are like the iProducts. They are easy and just work. PC is more advanced / customizable / and scary. And once you have eliminated the option of a PC, then I suppose graphics could be a large factor. For people like us (PC gamers), it is much less important.

seabiscuit8686

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 seabiscuit8686

@Gue1 said:

Because with consoles I only have to think about the game I'll buy next and not about if my drivers are up to date, at what setting will I be able to run the game, bad controller compatibility... And not to mention that all my fav franchises are console exclusive and them couch.

But now this is a question for you, why console gamers can't talk about graphics anyway? Why can't we complain about a game like DR3 dropping frames to 10? Why can't we talk about the fact that the PS4's cheaper but more powerful? PC has the HW but COD Ghosts still runs like shit. Graphics are more than just HW specification and that has been shown time and time again by the Naughty Gods.

These are legit points. I totally agree that games like Ghosts run like crap on the PC. And because some of the biggest games (Ghosts) which people buy game machines specifically to play aren't great on PC, then it removes that as an option. And then the graphics capabilities of those gaming machines that remain become important...

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By freedomfreak
@princessgomez92 said:

You've got your priorities backwards, babe. Graphics and resolutions are the most important things.

I shall adjust accordingly.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#19 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38035 Posts

@Shewgenja said:

If you don't care about better hardware, why do you upgrade? After all, PS2 has thousands of games you likely haven't played.

Yes but still go and play old games.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 lostrib

@Gue1 said:

nope

seabiscuit8686

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 seabiscuit8686

@seanmcloughlin said:

PC gaming hardware is expensive as fvck and I hate when some people try to downplay it

Again, a good point. PC's are definitely more expensive up front, which I could see as dissuading people.

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 freedomfreak
@seabiscuit8686 said:

Graphics are pretty objective compared to arguing gameplay or whether you like a game or not. Stuff like framerate and resolution isn't exactly subjective, so that's what the argument is usually about. Hard facts.

People don't bring up the PC's graphics, because they know it's more capable of putting out games that look better. Conveniently blocking that platform out.

And yeah, if you want to best possible graphical experience, get a PC.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#23  Edited By Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

@lostrib said:

@Gue1 said:

nope

yes ;)

TruthArisen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 TruthArisen
Member since 2013 • 403 Posts

Wonder Woman ponders.

" if you love PC gaming so much why do you beg for console game ports?"

seabiscuit8686

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By seabiscuit8686

@TruthArisen said:

Wonder Woman ponders.

" if you love PC gaming so much why do you beg for console game ports?"

I see Wonder Woman likes to generalize. Though I'd like to see a few console games on PC, there are many more PC exclusives I'd hate to miss out on (all RTS's / MOBA's for starters).

Also, DC Comics may not appreciate you putting words into their Intellectual Property's mouth...

BeardMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 BeardMaster
Member since 2012 • 1686 Posts

@seanmcloughlin said:

This is so true, my friend recently asked me to put together a budget build for him and I havent really kept up with PC prices but considering all the threads about building a PC 2x as powerful as the PS4 for $500, i thought it was gonna be no problem.

Not remotely true, ended up costing about $640 to get a comparable build that i felt could keep pace with the PS4 for years to come and had decent upgradability. And there were still some real low endparts i wouldnt feel comfortable tossing in one of my builds.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#27  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38035 Posts

@good_sk8er7 said:

That being said, I do game on PC, but my rig can't even compete with my PS3.. And I'm not bothering with upgrading.

Agreed. It doesn't have to be the BEST in order to impress. That's why some like the X1 and WiiU

good_sk8er7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By good_sk8er7
Member since 2009 • 4327 Posts

@cainetao11 said:

@good_sk8er7 said:

Agreed. It doesn't have to be the BEST in order to impress. That's why some like the X1 and WiiU

Well the X1 is performing just fine in the console space,

The Wii U can produce the highest fidelity graphics currently available to console players.. until Friday.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#29  Edited By lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61478 Posts

I don't have $20,000 for a PC.

crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

Because having slightly better graphics isnt worth all the problems that they come with.

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#32  Edited By blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@princessgomez92 said:

@freedomfreak said:
@princessgomez92 said:

No it isn't. lol!! If that was the case most of our games would be like Myst and Gone Home. Gameplay & fun has always been >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Graphics and resolution. Always.

Avatar image for Douevenlift_bro
Douevenlift_bro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By Douevenlift_bro
Member since 2013 • 6804 Posts

@seanmcloughlin said:

There ya go.

Avatar image for Douevenlift_bro
Douevenlift_bro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Douevenlift_bro
Member since 2013 • 6804 Posts
@blackace said:

@princessgomez92 said:

@freedomfreak said:
@princessgomez92 said:

No it isn't. lol!! If that was the case most of our games would be like Myst and Gone Home. Gameplay & fun has always been >>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>>> Graphics and resolution. Always.

Can you have "fun' at 10FPS on Dead Rising 3? LOL.

BeardMaster

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By BeardMaster
Member since 2012 • 1686 Posts

@Ginosaji said:

I think it's hilarious whenconsolites say PCs are too expensive, then they go out and buy a $400-$500 launch console and spend an additional $250 over the next 5 years in online fees. $650-$750 isn't much cheaper than the average gaming PC, and it lacks the general functionality of a PC.

Somewhat valid point, but for someone that games alot the cost of online fees could very well be offset by their electric bill given how energy efficient this next gen is compared to your average gaming desktop. As a cranky old man, i probably pay more attention to my electric bill than most though. For all i know i might even be saving money since i routinely buy xbox live cards heavily discounted.

But as a general rule of thumb people tend to be alot more price sensitive to upfront costs. Im actually quite surprised neither company used a subscription model similar to cell phones this gen.

danabo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 danabo
Member since 2003 • 2438 Posts

@Douevenlift_bro said:
@blackace said:

@princessgomez92 said:

@freedomfreak said:
@princessgomez92 said:

Can you have "fun' at 10FPS on Dead Rising 3? LOL.

Yes.

Loading Video...
Avatar image for deactivated-5ed92e29dd85a
deactivated-5ed92e29dd85a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#37  Edited By deactivated-5ed92e29dd85a
Member since 2013 • 355 Posts

I do not know how to build a PC that would be dedicated toward playing video games. I do not have money to purchase the parts or the knowledge required to make it. I do not have the money or the knowledge in order to purchase an already made PC, dedicated toward video games; I like Alienware for cosmetic reasons, but I heard they are pretty bad. I am simply out of luck and will always feel like PC video gaming is taunting me, as I cannot even play the most basic video games for PC, that are available for free to play. When it comes to the PC and video games, I just see it as an automatic non-option. My only option has ever been consoles or handhelds, PC video gaming is just an automatic "no" for me. I wanted to be able to play The Sims 3, but I cannot because I do not even know how to install a graphic card, despite their being videos and guides I do not understand, that show you how.

demi0227_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 demi0227_basic
Member since 2002 • 1940 Posts

@glitter said:

I do not know how to build a PC that would be dedicated toward playing video games. I do not have money to purchase the parts or the knowledge required to make it. I do not have the money or the knowledge in order to purchase an already made PC, dedicated toward video games; I like Alienware for cosmetic reasons, but I heard they are pretty bad. I am simply out of luck and will always feel like PC video gaming is taunting me, as I cannot even play the most basic video games for PC, that are available for free to play. When it comes to the PC and video games, I just see it as an automatic non-option. My only option has ever been consoles or handhelds, PC video gaming is just an automatic "no" for me. I wanted to be able to play The Sims 3, but I cannot because I do not even know how to install a graphic card, despite their being videos and guides I do not understand, that show you how.

Well then...there's your' problem! You are handicapped!

carpenter333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 carpenter333
Member since 2005 • 50 Posts

I just bought a gaming PC but still feel that drivers and compatibility, along the price of upgrades is a serious drawback.

Consoles are plug and play for 5+ years, not trying to decipher problems and bemoan the fact that your $ 400 card can't play battlefield at maximum settings anymore.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts

I have a gaming PC when I want to push GFX. With consoles I buy them for exclusives first and foremost.

PsychoLemons

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 PsychoLemons
Member since 2011 • 3183 Posts

I just play whatever is enjoyable.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By lostrib

@carpenter333 said:

I just bought a gaming PC but still feel that drivers and compatibility, along the price of upgrades is a serious drawback.

Consoles are plug and play for 5+ years, not trying to decipher problems and bemoan the fact that your $ 400 card can't play battlefield at maximum settings anymore.

except they're not really plug and play these days

Kenny789

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 29

#43 Kenny789
Member since 2006 • 10434 Posts

I, for one, don't which is why I'm able to enjoy 3DS and Wii U games without having to compare them to PS3 or PC games I play. Having nice graphics in a game is good and all but it's really not the biggest aspect for me. But hey, if everyone is happy in the Graphics Battle Arena then by all means have your fun. I'll just be playing games I find fun whether they look "next gen" or not :P

handssss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 handssss
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

It's about getting the most for your dollar. Graphics aren't everything, but when the cheaper system CAN result in better or the same graphics, this has to be a factor at some level in determining which console to buy for the many that can only afford 1 system.

GioVela2010

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45  Edited By GioVela2010
Member since 2008 • 5566 Posts

Last time I checked PS3 had a lot more best graphics awards at gamespot.

Cry moar hermits

-RPGamer-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#46  Edited By -RPGamer-
Member since 2002 • 34283 Posts

@seabiscuit8686: For my multiplatform titles I want the best graphics I can get on a console. I like the console experience, and it want to play the best looking console version. Still gotta get them all for their exclusives.

jhcho2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 2

#47  Edited By jhcho2
Member since 2004 • 5103 Posts

@seabiscuit8686 said:

Honest question...

If graphics are as important to you all as you make it seem on these forums (every topic is a graphics debate), why not just buy a PC? If you want to hook it up to your TV, lay on your couch and use a controller, you can do that.

If it is because of the exclusives, that's great, but then it's not the graphics that are driving your decision, so why are you making such a point of it?

They are definitely more expensive up front, but I can't imagine that you can't make the cost up with cheaper games and free online.

I'm not here bashing consoles. I'll be buying a Wii U simply to get Mario / Zelda / SSB. I have a 3DS for Mario / Zelda / Pokemon. I have a 360 for Halo. But if I actually care about graphics, I hop on my PC...

Nothing is ever so black and white. Games and graphics are synonymous. Pretty much like narration and camerawork in a movie. A movie cannot just have good narrative while the cinematography sucks. And even then, assuming you are more into the visuals and sound than anything else, it doesn't mean you need an 80" TV with a $10,000 sound system to enjoy it. People buy consoles to play games, while at the same time prefer them to look as good as possible. It's just as simple as that.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48  Edited By silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

I care about graphics and own one. Also expecting new consoles to deliver visually in the first ~2 years. If that console can't even do that...

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

I think the big thing is that the PS4's launch lineup looks rather pitiful, so really the graphics are the only thing PS4 can tout over the other two consoles at this point, and seeing that cows dominate system wars, it's no surprise that basically every thread about next gen is about graphics.

Hopefully after the system's launch we'll get a thread about the gameplay of Knack, and Killzone rather than the graphics.

XxR3m1xInHDn3D

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 XxR3m1xInHDn3D
Member since 2013 • 2365 Posts

I used to think graphics were really important to be immersed in a game but recently I have played Thief 1 for the first time ever and the atmosphere and sound make that game phenomenal. I haven't even used any graphics mods for it and I run it in 1280x1024 and it still blew me away.