If you are a console gamer, does 1080P really matter?

• 109 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by StormyJoe (4603 posts) -

If you read this Digital Trends Article or point #9 of this CNET article, they both say the same thing - if you are looking at a large screen TV, and are sitting more than 8-10 feet away from it, you cannot tell the difference.

PCs aside (where it does matter), does 1080P matter over 720P, or is it just bragging rights?

#2 Edited by Krelian-co (10091 posts) -

HAHAHAH

that early damage control

lems cant still get over the fact that they will be doing sub 1080p for the next 10 years when it has been a standard in pc for like 7-8 years already.

Enjoy still playing at 720 p in 2020 (disgusting) maybe 900p if you are lucky xD

#3 Edited by gameofthering (9987 posts) -

High resolution + lots of AA & AF

That's most important to me.

#4 Edited by Gue1 (9174 posts) -

it matters but not as much as a stable frame-rate.

#5 Posted by lostrib (31868 posts) -

Apparently it does, considering how much y'all talk about it

#6 Edited by Michael0134567 (28651 posts) -

Can't say I care all that much.

#7 Posted by Frozzik (3421 posts) -

If I'm sat pretty far from the TV it shouldn't matter. I love to be sat close though, what's the point in having a huge TV just to sit 10 feet away? Resolution does matter, I often play my pc on the same TV as my consoles and it does make a huge difference. However, frame rates are equally important. The only people happy with 30fps are those that haven't played with 50-60fps. Some games border unplayable for me as I seem to get a headache when it's so low.

#8 Edited by Krelian-co (10091 posts) -

@lostrib said:

Apparently it does, considering how much y'all talk about it

its called denial

#9 Posted by silversix_ (13666 posts) -

rez would be the most important thing to me and its not like im asking a lot, its only 1080p... we're almost in 2014 and talk about games in 720p, pathetic

#10 Edited by BPoole96 (22766 posts) -

A true console gamer would not even know if it matters to them since there was like 10 games last gen that were 1080p.

#11 Edited by loosingENDS (11775 posts) -

It only matters if you are not a gamer

Anyone that would skip or not enjoy a game just because it is 720p is not a gamer

@BPoole96 said:

A true console gamer would not even know if it matters to them since there was like 10 games last gen that were 1080p.

But would know that enjoys gaming in 720p rather fine

#12 Edited by killzowned24 (7286 posts) -

LOL, how are you not going to notice resolutions like ryse which have more missing pixels than call of duty has in total on xbox?

#13 Edited by Seiki_sands (1700 posts) -

They are wrong. I can tell the difference at that distance. Easily. It's a shame, but compromises between graphics and performance have always been a part of game-making. I DO wish they would borrow the ability to make that choice for yourself from the PC sphere however, and introduce more graphics options in console games.

The argument usually goes since there is only one hardware spec, there is no need for such choices, they should simply program the best looking compromise and make it the unchangeable default. I've even seen reviews in the small numbers of exceptions, where they did give the choice, complain that the developers were lazy for giving users that choice. In my opinion, since the choices are highly subjective, the user should have control over whether they want increased draw distance and pretty spell effects with their 30fps, or whether they want to play at a higher resolution for that same framerate instead.

#14 Posted by silversix_ (13666 posts) -

Anyone that would skip or not enjoy a game just because it is 720p is not a gamer

B*tch please. We all know how 720p is more cinematic. 720p>1080p

#15 Edited by loosingENDS (11775 posts) -

@loosingENDS said:

B*tch please. We all know how 720p is more cinematic. 720p>1080p

That too :)

#16 Edited by PAL360 (26584 posts) -

Yep, it matters.

#17 Edited by StormyJoe (4603 posts) -

LOL, how are you not going to notice resolutions like ryse which have more missing pixels than call of duty has in total on xbox?

I take it you did not read the articles...

#18 Edited by StormyJoe (4603 posts) -

HAHAHAH

lems cant still get over the fact that they will be doing sub 1080p for the next 10 years when it has been a standard in pc for like 7-8 years already.

Enjoy still playing at 720 p in 2020 (disgusting) maybe 900p if you are lucky xD

Did you READ the links?

#19 Edited by hrt_rulz01 (5491 posts) -

Of course it matters... but it's not like I won't buy a game because it's not 1080p.

#20 Edited by Krelian-co (10091 posts) -

@Krelian-co said:

HAHAHAH

Did you READ the links?

yeah sure keep telling yourself you cant see the difference between 1080p and 720p, wheatever lets you sleep at night, i play a lot on ps3 and pc to know better, so gl with that. Enjoy your next 10 years of 720p and 30 fps AGAIN.

#21 Posted by donalbane (16150 posts) -

It's matters if you are used to playing games in 1080p on your PC. You can really tell a difference. If you've been playing nothing but console games, then no... it probably won't mater much to you.

#22 Posted by slipknot0129 (5484 posts) -

720p is good enough. People wont notice since your not sitting so close.

#23 Edited by jer_1 (7421 posts) -

It definitely matters to me. You can tell a difference quite easily on any 1080p tv really.

#24 Posted by lowe0 (13692 posts) -

Which seems more likely: that we're telling the truth about what we see, or that we're all so angry about it that we invented a time travel machine, went back to the 1860s, replaced Hermann Snellen with an android programmed to lie about human visual acuity, and have somehow kept the ruse going for a century and a half without anyone catching on?

Seriously, I'd like to know the answer to that.

#25 Posted by Krelian-co (10091 posts) -

@lowe0 said:

Which seems more likely: that we're telling the truth about what we see, or that we're all so angry about it that we invented a time travel machine, went back to the 1860s, replaced Hermann Snellen with an android programmed to lie about human visual acuity, and have somehow kept the ruse going for a century and a half without anyone catching on?

well i couldnt give a fuk what anyone says if i know what i see, if you change your opinion about what you see because someone says you should be seeing different, thats your thing.

#26 Posted by clyde46 (43685 posts) -

If its not in 1080p then it sucks.

#27 Posted by tormentos (16542 posts) -

HAHAHAH

The poor lemm just can handle the fact that Tormy was right the xbox one to keep up frame wise with the PS4 need to lower resolution and probably even detail to,can't wait for that BF4 head to head..

Stormy Joe has been one of the biggest supporters of the xbox one and PS4 games will look the same theory which is based on blind fanboysm and extreme wishful thinking..hahahaha

#28 Posted by lowe0 (13692 posts) -

@lowe0 said:

well i couldnt give a fuk what anyone says if i know what i see, if you change your opinion about what you see because someone says you should be seeing different, thats your thing.

Mmhmm. So just so we're clear, you're going with the "science is lying" option, I take it?

#29 Edited by Ballroompirate (21771 posts) -

I really don't care for it when ever I play on PC or Consoles, rather have a constant FPS.

#30 Edited by Krelian-co (10091 posts) -

@lowe0 said:

@Krelian-co said:

@lowe0 said:

Mmhmm. So just so we're clear, you're going with the "science is lying" option, I take it?

im going with the i play on both pc at full 1080p 60fps and ps3 at 720p 30fps to know there is a clear difference. Also lets not forget that the quality of the things shown change the higher the resolution, is not like its the same object just at different distances like the study you are citing, but, hey wheatever helps you sleep at night if you think that study is applicable here, and the fact that the pc/console is applying more computing process per pixel and there is a substancial difference in pixel at different resolution doesn't change anything.

To sum it up, the image shown at 720p is different than the one at 1080p and the study you are mentioning applies to same objects.

Any more witty replies you think you have so i can debunk them?

#31 Posted by Elitro (578 posts) -

Every pixel matters.

#32 Posted by SexyJazzCat (877 posts) -

After you've actually experienced 1080p, yes, it does matter.

#33 Posted by glez13 (8501 posts) -

Of course it matters. Yet that doesn't mean that everyone will take advantage of it with their setups. Some will either have a TV too small or sitting too far away or both.

#34 Posted by StormyJoe (4603 posts) -

Yes. I have a 60" Sharp Quattron TV. 1080p for my Blu-Ray player. However, I switched it to 720p, and I didn't see a difference when watching Avatar or Iron Man 2. At least, I didn't see a difference from sitting on my sofa.

You should read the links in the OT...

#35 Posted by scoots9 (3189 posts) -

Not hugely. My Sony CRT only supports 720p and 1080i. My Pannasonic Plasma does 1080p, but I like using the CRT.

#36 Edited by GhoX (4659 posts) -

Back when all PS3 and 360 had was 720p, all the consolites had bad eyesight and can't see any difference.

Now that PS4 is going to get 900p, suddenly all the cows started growing a slightly better eye sight, noticing significant differences between 720p and 900p, but not much between 900p and 1080p.

I fear for the day when consoles get 1080p. Their eyesights will probably degrade again and even 4K resolution will look the same!

#37 Posted by StormyJoe (4603 posts) -

@Krelian-co said:

HAHAHAH

The poor lemm just can handle the fact that Tormy was right the xbox one to keep up frame wise with the PS4 need to lower resolution and probably even detail to,can't wait for that BF4 head to head..

Stormy Joe has been one of the biggest supporters of the xbox one and PS4 games will look the same theory which is based on blind fanboysm and extreme wishful thinking..hahahaha

Whatever. If you bothered to read the articles, they back up my claim. I guess you sit a foot away from your TV?

And, I said "you won't be able to tell the difference".

#38 Posted by Krelian-co (10091 posts) -

@SexyJazzCat said:

Yes. I have a 60" Sharp Quattron TV. 1080p for my Blu-Ray player. However, I switched it to 720p, and I didn't see a difference when watching Avatar or Iron Man 2. At least, I didn't see a difference from sitting on my sofa.

this is why i avoid explaining things in sw and instead i go for the you are an idiot reply.

The image is not the same, therefore it does not apply what you talk about, a 720p image is different than a 1080p, what you are talking about is what the eye can see when THE SAME object is at different distances, a 1080p image is quite different than a 720p because it has almost double the pixels on screen, each pixel has been processed by the pc/console giving a crisp image with better quality, so it will give a better image at every distance you are from the screen.

ANY MORE BS YOU WANT TO MAKE UP TO EXCUSE THAT IN 2020 YOU WILL BE STILL PLAYING AT 720P AND 30 FPS?

#39 Posted by OneInchMan99 (1127 posts) -

LOL!!!

Yet another 'does resolution really matter' thread.

Poor lems,its really getting to them now isnt it.

Just face facts...........Xbone IS WEAK!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Multiplats will be FAR superior on PS4.

This is too good,LOL

#40 Edited by tormentos (16542 posts) -

Get your damn eyes fixed...

#41 Posted by tormentos (16542 posts) -

Whatever. If you bothered to read the articles, they back up my claim. I guess you sit a foot away from your TV?

And, I said "you won't be able to tell the difference".

Dude i have been an HDTV owner since early 2000's my first HDTV wasn't even LCD,it was a regular tube TV from samsung,i also owned a projection one,and since then several LCD and finally Led now 120mhz.

And the difference between 720p and 1080p is quite easy to see even more on games,720p games tend took more blur specially if you upscale them,hell played it better on 720p native and don't upscale.

A native 1080p resolution will look better and sharper.

#42 Edited by lowe0 (13692 posts) -

@Krelian-co said:

@StormyJoe said:

@SexyJazzCat said:

this is why i avoid explaining things in sw and instead i go for the you are an idiot reply.

The image is not the same, therefore it does not apply what you talk about, a 720p image is different than a 1080p, what you are talking about is what the eye can see when THE SAME object is at different distances, a 1080p image is quite different than a 720p because it has almost double the pixels on screen, each pixel has been processed by the pc/console giving a crisp image with better quality, so it will give a better image at every distance you are from the screen.

ANY MORE BS YOU WANT TO MAKE UP TO EXCUSE THAT IN 2020 YOU WILL BE STILL PLAYING AT 720P AND 30 FPS?

LOL... you have no idea what you're talking about, and it shows. Snellen charts are designed so that they're made up of the smallest discernible details at a fixed distance, not different distances as you just stated. I hate to go with the pithy "get your eyes checked" argument, but seriously, go get your eyes checked, so that while you're there, you can get a good look at that chart on the wall.

Or better yet, break out a spreadsheet and do the math yourself. Humans can resolve details that subtend one minute of arc. For the size and seating distance of your TV (for example, mine's a 55" at 10'), how many minutes of arc are subtended by a single 1080p pixel?

Don't take my word for it, do the math. A quick hint to get you started: 1920 pixels, at 60 minutes of arc per degree, is 32 degrees. That's your viewing arc. From there, work out the width where the apothem of the arc is equal to your seating distance. After that, just find a TV with that horizontal width, take its diagonal width, and you have the TV you'd need to resolve 1080p from your seat. Piece of cake!

(edit: removed the part about apothem vs. radius, since the apothem math matches the Carlton Bale chart often quoted here)

#43 Posted by Krelian-co (10091 posts) -

@lowe0 said:

@Krelian-co said:

@StormyJoe said:

@SexyJazzCat said:

LOL... you have no idea what you're talking about, and it shows. Snellen charts are designed so that they're made up of the smallest discernible details at a fixed distance, not different distances as you just stated. I hate to go with the pithy "get your eyes checked" argument, but seriously, go get your eyes checked, so that while you're there, you can get a good look at that chart on the wall.

Or better yet, break out a spreadsheet and do the math yourself. Humans can resolve details that subtend one minute of arc. For the size and seating distance of your TV (for example, mine's a 55" at 10'), how many minutes of arc are subtended by a single 1080p pixel? Don't take my word for it, do the math.

your ignorance and bias is showing, the charts are made to measure the visual capacity someone has, it only half applies to this because you are ignoring the other half which is the fact that a 720p is already a blurred image compared to a 1080p, they are different images and one is already more crisp and clear than the other, anyway keep telling yourself that people cant see difference between 1080p and 720p if it helps you sleep at night, while we who according to you have eagle vision will play at 1080p and enjoy a crisp better quality.

#44 Posted by lowe0 (13692 posts) -

@lowe0 said:

@Krelian-co said:

@StormyJoe said:

@SexyJazzCat said:

Or better yet, break out a spreadsheet and do the math yourself. Humans can resolve details that subtend one minute of arc. For the size and seating distance of your TV (for example, mine's a 55" at 10'), how many minutes of arc are subtended by a single 1080p pixel? Don't take my word for it, do the math.

your ignorance and bias is showing, the charts are made to measure the visual capacity someone has, it only half applies to this because you are ignoring the other half which is the fact that a 720p is already a blurred image compared to a 1080p, they are different images and one is already more crisp and clear than the other, anyway keep telling yourself that people cant see difference between 1080p and 720p if it helps you sleep at night, while we who according to you have eagle vision will play at 1080p and enjoy a crisp better quality.

By all means, please explain how the sub-minute details you're describing are going to be resolved by the eye.

Now, if I feel like it, I can see 1080p just fine. Know how? I go into the other room where my display is much closer to my eye, and then I can see individual pixels. Face it, seating distance absolutely matters. It's a hard-and-fast limit of our eyes. All the hemming and hawing you choose to do for the rest of this thread isn't changing the math.

(This is the part where someone usually suggests that we should move our couches closer to our TVs. That's great if you have a dedicated space for gaming, but for a shared living room, it's not gonna happen.)

#45 Edited by Krelian-co (10091 posts) -

@lowe0 said:

@Krelian-co said:

@lowe0 said:

@Krelian-co said:

@StormyJoe said:

@SexyJazzCat said:

By all means, please explain how the sub-minute details you're describing are going to be resolved by the eye.

Now, if I feel like it, I can see 1080p just fine. Know how? I go into the other room where my display is much closer to my eye, and then I can see individual pixels. Face it, seating distance absolutely matters. It's a hard-and-fast limit of our eyes. All the hemming and hawing you choose to do for the rest of this thread isn't changing the math.

(This is the part where someone usually suggests that we should move our couches closer to our TVs. That's great if you have a dedicated space for gaming, but for a shared living room, it's not gonna happen.)

keep telling yourself that champ, hope you sleep okay. It squite obvious that you cant see the differences between 1080p and 720p in a game (LOL) even though one has almost twice the visual fidelity than the other.

#46 Posted by Shewgenja (7971 posts) -

So much damage control, so little time.

#47 Edited by lowe0 (13692 posts) -

@lowe0 said:

@Krelian-co said:

@lowe0 said:

@Krelian-co said:

@StormyJoe said:

@SexyJazzCat said:

keep telling yourself that champ, hope you sleep okay. It squite obvious that you cant see the differences between 1080p and 720p in a game (LOL) even though one has almost twice the visual fidelity than the other.

I love how all you can do is repeat yourself and hope the bad man with the numbers goes away.

#48 Edited by tormentos (16542 posts) -

@lowe0 said:

I love how all you can do is repeat yourself and hope the bad man with the numbers goes away.

Maybe we should have stay in 480p then..

The difference between 480p and 720p is 560 lines on one side 240 lines on another.

The difference between 720p and 1080p is 640 lines more on one side,and 360 on another.

There is a bigger gap between 1080p and 720p than between 480p and 720p,i guess we should have stay on 480p.

#49 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (5913 posts) -

Minecraft ................................180p resolution.......................I love it.

#50 Posted by lowe0 (13692 posts) -

@lowe0 said:

Maybe we should have stay in 480p then..

The difference between 480p and 720p is 560 lines on one side 240 lines on another.

The difference between 720p and 1080p is 640 lines more on one side,and 360 on another.

There is a bigger gap between 1080p and 720p than between 480p and 720p,i guess we should have stay on 480p.

Not unless we were also going to stay on 27-32" TVs. It comes down to a single question: does a pixel's width (and/or height) on screen stretch across more than a single minute of arc from where you're sitting? If it doesn't, then there's more advantage to be had from more pixels. If not? You're maxed out. Get a bigger screen, move closer, or relax and enjoy.