If the Western home console market is like Japan's

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by mario-galaxys (614 posts) -

When we look at the Media Create software/hardware chart, we noticed that oftentimes in the last few years, handheld software and hardware sell the most in Japan. In the West, it is the reverse where home console software and hardware dominate. It gives us an impression that home consoles are a dying breed in Japan, while still alive in the West. It perhaps is a reason why Sony and Microsoft decided to release their next-generation home consoles in Japan this year, months after their releases in the important Western countries.

Now for a momment the unlikely happened and it seems that home consoles are dying in the West just like Japan and almost for the same reasons. Would you continue to game on home consoles regardless, or will you move on to handheld or the PC?

#2 Posted by freedom01 (615 posts) -

will still game on consoles, handheld, and PC

#3 Posted by Jag85 (4387 posts) -

This thread kind of reminds me of the following article:

http://www.eurogamer.net/articles/2012-10-10-tokyo-story-a-postcard-from-the-japanese-games-industry

"I think the Japanese market hasn't declined - it's just moved," says Greiner. "If you look out there, you'll see who's got the biggest booths - Gree and Dena. We've shifted from a console-dominated market to a mobile-dominated market. That's not necessarily a bad thing - I think there are some great games out there. But it might not be globally oriented games - your RPGs of old that everybody loved, your fighters and things like that doesn't necessarily translate to mobile. Gree is one of the biggest companies in the world now, so to think that the industry went away or died is false - to say that it shifted to another platform and with that platform you have different users is fair."

And perhaps rather than being concerned about the state of gaming in the east, audiences in the west should take heed and brace themselves for things to come.

"I'm often telling Americans come to Tokyo Game Show, see what's happening - this is the future," says Greiner, who with his years of experience in Japan has a clearer perspective than most. "Going to E3 this year, I've never felt after 20 plus years of going, I've never seen a more morbid show. They're making this change that the Japanese made a few years ago. In a few years, E3 will be dominated by mobile companies and free-to-play companies. Japan's changed, but it's not dead - it's just that it's more the future now than the past."

If this guy is to be believed, the future of gaming is, apparently, mobile... which might be a bit of a scary future for core gamers.

#4 Edited by Salt_The_Fries (8367 posts) -

It will NEVER happen in the West with hardcore hermits loving their desktops.

#5 Edited by treedoor (7648 posts) -

I'd "move" to where the games I want go as long as it's worth the move.

I rarely play on home consoles as is though. The vast majority of interesting Japanese support moved to handhelds (and is moving to PC more and more each year), and the vast majority of interesting Western titles are on PC.

#6 Posted by edidili (3446 posts) -

@Jag85 said:

"I'm often telling Americans come to Tokyo Game Show, see what's happening - this is the future,"

Handhelds are the future according to him? They have worse controls, worse screen real estate, resolution, worse sound output, worse graphics, batteries. How can a device that is worse in almost everything be the future?

They're good only for portability but I don't play games outside for the same reason I don't watch movies outside. When I'm outside I'm either working, meeting someone or going somewhere. It's at home where I can chill and play a game or watch a movie.

#7 Posted by Jag85 (4387 posts) -

@edidili said:

@Jag85 said:

"I'm often telling Americans come to Tokyo Game Show, see what's happening - this is the future,"

Handhelds are the future according to him? They have worse controls, worse screen real estate, resolution, worse sound output, worse graphics, batteries. How can a device that is worse in almost everything be the future?

They're good only for portability but I don't play games outside for the same reason I don't watch movies outside. When I'm outside I'm either working, meeting someone or going somewhere. It's at home where I can chill and play a game or watch a movie.

What about on public transport? Or when you're waiting around for someone or something? Wouldn't you play a little on your mobile during those times?

#8 Posted by edidili (3446 posts) -

@Jag85 said:

What about on public transport? Or when you're waiting around for someone or something? Wouldn't you play a little on your mobile during those times?

That doesn't happen all that often. I usually just browse the web. I can't play a game where I have to interrupt it on any moment. There is a reason why time waster games, that have short stages sorta like angry birds are so popular on mobile. They fit that situation perfectly but I wouldn't call those games the future of gaming.

#9 Edited by j2zon2591 (2239 posts) -

Doesn't really apply to me since I already do play handhelds, pc and consoles.

PC just happens to be the main because of my internet addiction.

#10 Posted by blue_hazy_basic (27385 posts) -

Japan is not a good example of cause and effect for the west because in general the consumer base enjoys completely different games. The type of games that people in the west enjoy aren't necessarily a good fit for handhelds. I don't think handhelds will ever be a dominant force here, mobile and tablet gaming will be far more prevalent for casual gaming and PC's or streaming directly to TV's for more in depth games if and when we see consoles go the way of the Betamax.

#11 Edited by blue_hazy_basic (27385 posts) -

@Jag85 said:

@edidili said:

@Jag85 said:

Most people in the US are wed to their cars and, outside of the few biggest cities, public transport blows in the US. If I still lived in the UK I might care about handheld gaming but I usually listen to my ipod and an audio book when i'm out and about.

#12 Posted by Jag85 (4387 posts) -

@edidili said:

@Jag85 said:

That doesn't happen all that often. I usually just browse the web. I can't play a game where I have to interrupt it on any moment. There is a reason why time waster games, that have short stages sorta like angry birds are so popular on mobile. They fit that situation perfectly but I wouldn't call those games the future of gaming.

Yeah, that's what I mean. Short arcade-style indie games. Either way, in the article I posted, the developer was claiming that mobile platforms will be the future of gaming.

#13 Posted by Jakandsigz (4512 posts) -

@Jag85 said:

@edidili said:

@Jag85 said:

That still does not address the screen, battery, and power issues etc. Now when the Windows Surface phone comes out..........................

#14 Posted by blackace (20287 posts) -

It will NEVER happen in the West with hardcore hermits loving their desktops.

And consolites loving their game consoles. I don't see the West shifting to mobile anytime soon. The 7+ million consoles that were sold in less then 2 months is proof of that. I don't know many gamers who are dedicated to gaming on phones or tablets. I see people play sparingly for a short amount of time. I never seen people playing games for hours on a phone or tablet.

#15 Posted by edidili (3446 posts) -

@Jag85 said:

the developer was claiming that mobile platforms will be the future of gaming.

I've heard that so many times in the past few years. I wonder what these people call future. Is 2200 they're talking about?

I used to read articles by "experts" in 2007 on how mobile with the rise of iOS and android is going to be the future of gaming. Here we are in 2014 and they still repeat the same thing, is going to be the future.

#16 Posted by Gue1 (9500 posts) -

it's getting harder and harder to support console gaming these days with all the hidden fees.

#17 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

I currently game on all three (PC, console, and handheld), but I see me cutting consoles out in the future. I see the PS4 being my last console ever. I just don't like the way the industry is headed, nor do I like how consolites act like cowards and refuse to stand up to these new tactics (pay for online, paid DLC, etc.) and refuse to support these companies, which in turn encourages them to continue these practices and to try to push the envelope on how much they can rip you off even more. What's the saddest part is these companies have somehow brainwashed kids today into actually thinking this is a good thing and they blindly defend it and even try to come up with ways to make it sound like a good thing when in reality, no matter how you try to twist it, it is a bad thing.