If the price of games increase to $70, would you still buy them new?

• 85 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by sherman-tank1 (8096 posts) -

Serious question. It seems the gaming industry has been able to get away with steady increase of the prices of gaming material over the years. Some examples of this would increase in Xbox Live subscriptions, DLC price increases, crackdown on used games, and PC games costing the same as consoles. So I have a question. If games began to normally cost $70, would you continue to buy them new? 

#2 Posted by BPoole96 (22784 posts) -

Only if it is Fallout, Elder Scrolls, or Dark Souls 2.

#3 Posted by funsohng (27468 posts) -
Depends on the game. Something as sex as The Witcher 2, sure, but stuff like LA Noire? Nah. I will be buying a lot less new games for sure.
#4 Posted by senses_fail_06 (6735 posts) -
I barely buy them new now...

Only if it is Fallout

BPoole96
True that.
#5 Posted by Thefatness16 (4672 posts) -

I didn't buy a single game at 60$ new last year, and only 2 in the last 3 years. So I seriously doubt that I'd get any games within the first month of release.

#6 Posted by DroidPhysX (17088 posts) -
It would still be cheap since game prices are not keeping up with inflation in combination with development costs. Still wouldn't buy though.
#7 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -
Does anyone even pay full price for a game on launch? Many retailers shave $10-20 off RRP.
#8 Posted by sherman-tank1 (8096 posts) -

It would still be cheap since game prices are not keeping up with inflation in combination with development costs. Still wouldn't buy though.DroidPhysX
While that is true about inflation, isn't it working against the fianancial status of the average citizen? 

#9 Posted by 720OwnsPS4 (131 posts) -

There's only a few I pay full price for as it is. I buy most games on sale for $20-30 a few months after release. I don't buy them used though.

#10 Posted by Gue1 (9368 posts) -

I don't even buy them at $60, I just wait for them to hit the bargain bin unless it is something I really want like Yakuza, Metal Gear or something. X)

#11 Posted by Ly_the_Fairy (8652 posts) -

I'd buy just as many new games as I do now.

As it stands currently I do not rush out to buy every new game at $60. 99% of games I won't touch at $60, but the 1% of games I'd spend $60 on I'd also spend $70 on.

#12 Posted by percech (5237 posts) -
Considering I'm usually only interested in 1 or 2 games a year, it's really not going to effect me that much.
#13 Posted by MGS2007 (105 posts) -

Yeah but only good games like mgs, gta,gt series other wise hell no!!

#14 Posted by mariokart64fan (19348 posts) -

only if its james bond  or nintendo but i voted no already so no is the answer 

#15 Posted by Timstuff (26822 posts) -

Even $60 is too much for most games, especially since they are gimping the single player to 5 hours and spending the budget on tacked-on multiplayer modes that I'm not even going to play.

#16 Posted by ryangcnx-2 (1181 posts) -

I would be MUCH picker though. Mainly I would buy the RPG's new and leave the rest in the dust ultimately. Mainly because RPG's you can usually squeeze anywhere from 40-80 hours or more in most cases. 

I think the 5 hour shooter would die quickly and only the ones with the best MP would survive. 

#17 Posted by loosingENDS (11775 posts) -

Sure, i only buy the long games and RPGs anyway

I rarely buy the shorter ones, like Uncharted etc

#18 Posted by Bigboi500 (29080 posts) -

Nintendo exclusives, Sony exclusives, Bethesda games, Dragon Quest games, Rockstar games, Shin Megami games, Tales games, Rune Factory games: Yes. Everything else: No.

#19 Posted by AutoPilotOn (8109 posts) -
Already used to pay that 20 years ago on some snes games.
#20 Posted by Gxgear (10425 posts) -

Helloooooooooooooooooo backlog.

#21 Posted by Cranler (8164 posts) -
It would still be cheap since game prices are not keeping up with inflation in combination with development costs. Still wouldn't buy though.DroidPhysX
On the flip side you have to remember that the video game audience has greatly expanded so games are selling more on average. Look at film, lots of high budget films but the audience is so huge they can afford to set cheaper prices.
#22 Posted by TheEpicGoat (2006 posts) -

New? Yes, but after price drops. (Unless I know I'm going to get alot of replay value from the game.)

#23 Posted by Jak-25 (2490 posts) -
I buy my games new but I can wait for a game to get cheaper.
#24 Posted by scottahuch (1580 posts) -

I would, games used to be $70 in Canada after all, they dropped to $60 when our dollar value became the same as the US.

#25 Posted by trugs26 (5210 posts) -

That's a very steep price, and I would only consider my very favorite games at that price. For example a new 3D Mario, Metroid or Zelda game (this list is exhaustive in terms of franchises, sometimes individual games may excite me enough to buy it at launch e.g new IP).

#26 Posted by getyeryayasout (7032 posts) -
I'll buy fewer games the more expensive they get. I would spend more money during a generation buying $40 dollar games than $70 games.
#27 Posted by Truvietplaya (659 posts) -

$70 plus tax for a game is a bit expensive for me. I would choose my title wisely. I have to make sure it has a lot of replayability. I would probably just wait until they drop the price of the game before I buy which will mean I won't buy a game day one unless it's a popular title. I may just rent at Redbox or Gamefly and if I like the game than I will buy haha.

#28 Posted by D4RKL1NG (233 posts) -

They listed the RRP for GTA5 in South Africa for R899 ($80)..but I think that's just the thieving distributors trying to cash in on the hype. What's the pre-order in  USA/EU? Still $60?

#29 Posted by Goyoshi12 (9687 posts) -

Even $60 is too much for most games, especially since they are gimping the single player to 5 hours and spending the budget on tacked-on multiplayer modes that I'm not even going to play.

Timstuff

Teckid un?

Ot's loki thi unly thong thi gemi hes guong fur ot.

--------

((Tacked on?

It's like the only thing the game has going for it.))

#30 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (6823 posts) -
I almost never spend more than $20 on video games.
#31 Posted by Maddie_Larkin (6225 posts) -

Depends on the percived value of the games, some games this gen I would happily drop 70+ bucks for, let alone the 50 and 60 bucks I payied.

Others? No.

But to be honest the inflation over 10 years, with a pricehike of 10 bucks is barely worth regirstring. So to me it is an odd question, IF you want the industry to stay afloat and not collapse.

I would lie however if I said that certain games would fall off my radar completely, and since I buy a good amount of games per year, people with a tighter budget might be WAY more inclined to pick and play less games ,so such a pricehike might harm more then it would benefit in the long run.

#32 Posted by Cherokee_Jack (32198 posts) -

[QUOTE="DroidPhysX"]It would still be cheap since game prices are not keeping up with inflation in combination with development costs. Still wouldn't buy though.Cranler
On the flip side you have to remember that the video game audience has greatly expanded so games are selling more on average. Look at film, lots of high budget films but the audience is so huge they can afford to set cheaper prices.

But relatively few companies can count on moving a high number of units. COD can stay at $60 easily, but companies/franchises with small but loyal fanbases might have to squeeze the extra $5-10 out of each sale to stay profitable. And they could probably get away with it, since you already see people spending $20 or $30 extra just to get some crappy statue.

#33 Posted by hiphops_savior (7791 posts) -
Why not just go digital? Only make physical copies available for collectors edition.
#34 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16744 posts) -
Yes I would buy them new. I just wouldn't buy them til they dropped to $20. If they didn't drop low enough fast enough, I will just buy used.
#35 Posted by JustPlainLucas (73564 posts) -
No. Tired of buying them at 60...
#36 Posted by MercenaryMafia (2917 posts) -
Only if it is GTA game.
#37 Posted by CleanPlayer (9772 posts) -
Looking back at all the games I bought this gen, only Mass Effect and Skyrim would warrant a $70 dollar price tag due to quality and content. Games these days sadly lack content, and that suck donkey balls
#38 Posted by Rattlesnake_8 (18330 posts) -
Only devs that REALLY deserve it. GTA and Elder Scrolls are long games so those would probably get day one buys. Everything else I would be used.
#39 Posted by darkspineslayer (19452 posts) -
I would be a little more picky for sure.
#40 Posted by KungfuKitten (20748 posts) -

Games are already $70 new or more, cause of DLC.
I don't buy games at $60 even and I am an avid gamer.
They are just not that good, compared to indi games and older games that I can pay for.
So, NO.
For PS3 games I just wait until they are more reasonably priced.

#41 Posted by KodiakKoolaid (441 posts) -
I would wait for sales or a price drop before even considering purchasing a game. $50 is ok for me, $60 is pushing it, $70...Hell no!
#42 Posted by mems_1224 (46175 posts) -

Only if it is Fallout, Elder Scrolls, or Dark Souls 2.

BPoole96
replace Dark Souls with Halo and you have my answer
#43 Posted by svenus97 (2289 posts) -

Games are already around 75 dollars in here.

#44 Posted by coasterguy65 (5826 posts) -

There are very few games I would spend $70 on. I have a hard enough time justifying $60 for a good majority of the games out there. More and more I've found myself waiting a few weeks for the $20-$30 price drop.

#45 Posted by faizan_faizan (7832 posts) -
Only if it's worth.
#46 Posted by cain006 (8625 posts) -

I buy a game new if it's convenient typically. But I haven't bought a game near release date in years.

#47 Posted by ampiva (1246 posts) -
I don't even buy games at full price, it's a steal (considering I only buy digital copies).
#48 Posted by Miroku32 (8666 posts) -
That's what console games cost where I live. And the price hardly goes low.
#49 Posted by EPaul (9906 posts) -

Only a few like Persona 5 or Infamous 3 

#50 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (24542 posts) -

I'll probably be forced to go digital, if games go up to $70 Digital Copies would probably be lower.

At least PC copies would.