If the Last of Us was developed by a Japanese studio

• 126 results
#51 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (13462 posts) -

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@Ballroompirate said:

@freedomfreak said:

@Bread_or_Decide said:

I was watching Attan on Titan the other day and I thought...why is EVERY EMOTION exaggerated to the point of stupidity. Everyone screams and cries and yells. There's no subtlety.

Yeah, I stopped watching that show. Liked the premise, but everything else was the usual anime tripe.

A bunch of screaming, self-loathing, cliché'd individuals. And with the simplest tasks taking 5 episodes.

AoT is actually not your usual anime, which is one of the reasons why I've watched it 2 times through. The animation is amazing (probably my fav), characters are engaging, the music is just second to none and the story actually makes you want to know why all this crap is happening to them.

If writing/art style/characterization in AoT was combined with eastern games, I would shyt a brick made of gold.

An AOT game not based around the 3ds would be amazing.

Especially a multiplayer mode where you have one team controlling titans. Also using that 3d maneuver gear, none of that spiderman shit where you just string your web through the air and hit your target you actually have to position yourself.

*drool*

I'm willing to have your babies

The possibilities of them exploring that type of stuff on current gen, hell I'd even take last gen :3

Not everyone can have great taste, it's nice to be among kindred spirits :P

#52 Posted by Maddie_Larkin (6389 posts) -

Well Ellie would likely be overly positive, with really skimpy clothes.

Noel would likely be either tall very lean, with long hair and "mystical" or a plain teen WHO has to suffer the horrors of living alone in a house with 4-5 girls (honestly though that HAS to be a very plausible reason to go out into the wasteland).

Oh and there will be a nemesis somewhere, and it would likely be Joels cousin or long lost Brothers... and there WILL be mechs and pantyshots!

So... why didd'nt anyone make that yet ? -.-

Oh or you could just Watch trigun :P

#53 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (13462 posts) -

Noel would likely be either tall very lean, with long hair and "mystical" or a plain teen WHO has to suffer the horrors of living alone in a house with 4-5 girls (honestly though that HAS to be a very plausible reason to go out into the wasteland).

Oh and there will be a nemesis somewhere, and it would likely be Joels cousin or long lost Brothers... and there WILL be mechs and pantyshots!

My little infected can't be this cute.

#54 Edited by Ballroompirate (22555 posts) -

@Maddie_Larkin said:

#55 Posted by Bread_or_Decide (17347 posts) -

@Bread_or_Decide said:

I was watching Attan on Titan the other day and I thought...why is EVERY EMOTION exaggerated to the point of stupidity. Everyone screams and cries and yells. There's no subtlety.

Well, they are all dying horribly gathering what little strength and courage they can to face the greatest threat their world has ever known.

So screaming every emotion is good acting? If you saw a MOVIE that did that would also think that was good acting?

#56 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (13462 posts) -

@Bread_or_Decide said:

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

@Bread_or_Decide said:

Well, they are all dying horribly gathering what little strength and courage they can to face the greatest threat their world has ever known.

So screaming every emotion is good acting? If you saw a MOVIE that did that would also think that was good acting?

There were moments of subtlety, considering most of the show takes place on a battlefield while they are moving through the air at extremely high speeds, I personally didn't see a problem with the yelling and to me it made sense.

Consider the fact most of the soldiers were children as well, seeing your friends brutally murdered infront of you would possibly trigger an emotional break. I felt it was spot on really.

#57 Posted by Ballroompirate (22555 posts) -
#58 Posted by lamprey263 (23201 posts) -

Well, being it's Japanese there's a good chance it would have avoided any shooting mechanics, when Japanese games have shooting mechanics it flirts with disaster, so Nathan would have a sword instead, probably the size of a surf board. Nathan would look more like a flat chested androgynous anorexic chick with long hair that covers his eyes. His love interests would be squealy little underage girls and make "I got a tummy ache" noises when they're aroused by Nathan's tremendous masculine traits.

#59 Posted by ReadingRainbow4 (13462 posts) -

Well, being it's Japanese there's a good chance it would have avoided any shooting mechanics, when Japanese games have shooting mechanics it flirts with disaster, so Nathan would have a sword instead, probably the size of a surf board. Nathan would look more like a flat chested androgynous anorexic chick with long hair that covers his eyes. His love interests would be squealy little underage girls and make "I got a tummy ache" noises when they're aroused by Nathan's tremendous masculine traits.

Nathan?

#60 Posted by Yangire (8787 posts) -
#61 Posted by Ballroompirate (22555 posts) -

@Yangire said:

@freedomfreak:

Don't feel bad, I don't like AoT either.

We all can't have good taste like me :P

#62 Edited by xWoW_Rougex (2755 posts) -

It'd lack the wonderful physics (like the feeling of walking in the snow and all that) and Holllywood-like action scenes that Naughty Dog does perfectly. Eastern games just seem to lack this, I think the latest Resident Evil is a good example. It's a big famous action title but it's just lack the production quality that western games have.

Also:

lol @ people disliking Attack on Titan. pls go back to watching some school girl using giant hammers to kill demons while being in love with her non-blood related brother.

Regarding Berserk... I liked the anime up until the point of the Eclipse thingy, went from chill medieval style anime to "err... ok...? I don't think I want to reading the manga continuation..."

#63 Posted by Jankarcop (8994 posts) -

@lamprey263 said:

Nathan?

He confused the 2 generic movie games.

#64 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (13462 posts) -

@xWoW_Rougex said:

It'd lack the wonderful physics (like the feeling of walking in the snow and all that) and Holllywood-like action scenes that Naughty Dog does perfectly. Eastern games just seem to lack this, I think the latest Resident Evil is a good example. It's a big famous action title but it's just lack the production quality that western games have.

Also:

lol @ people disliking Attack on Titan. pls go back to watching some school girl using giant hammers to kill demons while being in love with her non-blood related brother.

Regarding Berserk... I liked the anime up until the point of the Eclipse thingy, went from chill medieval style anime to "err... ok...? I don't think I want to reading the manga continuation..."

Berserk is even better after the eclipse, it's one of the most deliciously dark settings around with an absolutely epic story. The manga is so far ahead of the anime it's not even funny, all that's been covered by animation was just the very beginning before the world gets cast into darkness. Hopefully that changes.

I remember watching the classic berserk with my dad and he went wtf when Griffith ascended during eclipse, lol. Raping Guts girl and forcing him to watch was just an incredibly low blow.

#65 Posted by Yangire (8787 posts) -

@xWoW_Rougex:

Not liking the flavor of the year anime is a bad thing? But I will admit, AoT isn't as bad as SAO.

#66 Posted by MlauTheDaft (3405 posts) -

People seem to have forgotten about ICO, SotC and Nier while acting like TLOU is the standard for western storytelling.

It probably would have had better gameplay at least ;)

#67 Edited by Ballroompirate (22555 posts) -

@Yangire said:

@xWoW_Rougex:

Not liking the flavor of the year anime is a bad thing? But I will admit, AoT isn't as bad as SAO.

Well Kill la Kill is the new flavor of the month >:P

#68 Posted by xWoW_Rougex (2755 posts) -

@Yangire said:

@xWoW_Rougex:

Bah, it being flavor of the year doesn't mean crap. Don't hate on it because it's popular!

Great animations, good action scenes, great music, emotional (yes, all the screaming is emotional...), exciting plot and it has one of the most memorable comedy scenes ever (because how random it is, truly unexpected with the potato scene, considering it had been 100% full srs business up until that point). Overall I just like it and I think few very very few anime these past current years have been as good. (my opinion is anime is becoming more and more cliche, sexual, filled with ridiculous random stories and overall just complete crappier for every year that pass).

Kinda off topic now but srs, Space Dandy is the only anime of this season I liked.

Berserk is even better after the eclipse, it's one of the most deliciously dark settings around with an absolutely epic story. The manga is so far ahead of the anime it's not even funny, all that's been covered by animation was just the very beginning before the world gets cast into darkness. Hopefully that changes.

I remember watching the classic berserk with my dad and he went wtf when Griffith ascended during eclipse, lol. Raping Guts girl and forcing him to watch was just an incredibly low blow.

Sorry but it felt too... extreme for me... Griffith being tortured until he goes crazy? Rapes/Tortures a girl until she becomes so mentally traumatized that she becomes like a friggin' vegetable? Over the top man...

#69 Posted by happyduds77 (1449 posts) -

half naked female characters, teenager looking male characters, cheesy dialogue and it would just be plain weird.

#70 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (13462 posts) -

@xWoW_Rougex said:

@Yangire said:

@xWoW_Rougex:

Bah, it being flavor of the year doesn't mean crap. Don't hate on it because it's popular!

Great animations, good action scenes, great music, emotional (yes, all the screaming is emotional...), exciting plot and it has one of the most memorable comedy scenes ever (because how random it is, truly unexpected with the potato scene, considering it had been 100% full srs business up until that point). Overall I just like it and I think few very very few anime these past current years have been as good. (my opinion is anime is becoming more and more cliche, sexual, filled with ridiculous random stories and overall just complete crappier for every year that pass).

Kinda off topic now but srs, Space Dandy is the only anime of this season I liked.

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

Sorry but it felt too... extreme for me... Griffith being tortured until he goes crazy? Rapes/Tortures a girl until she becomes so mentally traumatized that she becomes like a friggin' vegetable? Over the top man...

Yeah It's probably not for you then if eclipse is too much, because Berserk's a crazy train with no brakes it just gets more and more ridiculous. It makes sense that most of the stuff Guts has to face is so disturbing because really he's going up against the forces of hell, but I can understand if it's not for you.

There's glimpses of light that come mostly from the characters he meets on his journey but for the most part it's a very dark story.

#71 Posted by casharmy (6822 posts) -

Like MGS and Vanquished?

pff. another stereotype, misconsecption failed. MGS has great shooting mechanics and it's like people forget that it's entirely developed by a japanese studio.

#72 Posted by Joedgabe (5110 posts) -

@casharmy: That is one Anime / manga Vs gazillions that are out. Berserk is one of very few like it. Here in the West however we are the Hollywood type population and creativity and TLoU did played out like a movie you would expect Hollywood to do. Just like a lot of JRPG's play out like what an Anime would.

And when you Combine the brilliance of the West and East you end up with something like Avatar The last Air Bender which sadly doesn't happen much.

#73 Posted by happyduds77 (1449 posts) -

@casharmy said:

@lamprey263 said:

Like MGS and Vanquished?

pff. another stereotype, misconsecption failed. MGS has great shooting mechanics and it's like people forget that it's entirely developed by a japanese studio.

MGS is not a good example. MGS plays like shit. RE 4 on the other hand is just pure perfection.

#75 Edited by princeofshapeir (13783 posts) -

@Bread_or_Decide said:

Yeah, I stopped watching that show. Liked the premise, but everything else was the usual anime tripe.

A bunch of screaming, self-loathing, cliché'd individuals. And with the simplest tasks taking 5 episodes.

errors???

Not to be rude or anything but... everything you said about AoT is inaccurate. None of the characters are self-loathing, and they only scream during the Battle for Trost arc (which makes sense since it was the 104th's first-ever encounter with Titans). And none of the characters are really cliched, either.

#76 Posted by Yangire (8787 posts) -

@princeofshapeir:

So the silent, mysterious, and strong trope that two characters have isn't a cliche?

@xWoW_Rougex:

Don't get me wrong, I hate the whole fanservice thing a lot, but I'm not a fan of AoT. My interest completely died as soon as the MC gained powers to turn into a titan. That was such a lazy plot device, and it would have been much more interesting to see the anime/manga continue without it.

#77 Posted by freedomfreak (39214 posts) -
@Yangire said:

So the silent, mysterious, and strong trope that two characters have isn't a cliche?

This.

Not to mention that one character that is the key to EVERYTHING. Not a good plot twist, btw. And the other one finding his inner courage in times of need?

C'mon.

#78 Posted by demon-returns (401 posts) -

How I wish other countries made games also. I mean the guys that made the Witcher aren't Americans or Japanese and you can see the type of lore used in the game is something different than we are used to. It would be nice to have a like a African developer make a game or someone from like the middle east or just somewhere different where they can bring a different spin and influence to the gaming industry

#79 Posted by hippiesanta (9812 posts) -

* All the character in TLOU will have narrow face like Resident evil and silent hill character

* Joel could be an androgyny like Yellow Belmont

* ellie will be as fragile as sherry birkin

* some techno music

* clickers will evolves up to second stage ala pokemon

* Bill is a flamboyant and fabulous as ever

#80 Posted by TrappedInABox91 (530 posts) -

It really depends on the Japanese dev. It sure would be different than western, but I'm sure the gameplay itself would be better minus some japanese wtf.

#81 Edited by Jag85 (4397 posts) -

We kind of already have a Japanese version of The Last of Us, the game that Naughty Dog themselves named as a big influence on TLOU: Resident Evil 4. In other words, Joel would be a clean-shaven, one-man army, special agent with floppy hair, while Ellie would be an annoying, spoilt princess-type, damsel-in-distress in a skirt. And the gameplay probably wouldn't be all that different, except you might be forced to stop-and-shoot or not be able to take cover... but the great action set-pieces and boss battles should more than make up for it.

But story-wise, the closest Japanese equivalent I can think of would probably be the visual novel game Clannad (which was adapted into a popular anime years ago), which in the second half revolves around a father-daughter relationship, but without any of the zombies or shooting or post-apocalyptic stuff, but just all drama (with occasional bits of comedy thrown in)... which actually works out a lot better, because Clannad has the best character-driven narrative I've ever seen in any game.

Now if we just combined Resident Evil 4's gameplay quality with Clannad's writing quality, that's something I might be interested in...

#82 Posted by AcidTango (535 posts) -

Man this is interesting lol

#83 Posted by FoxbatAlpha (6162 posts) -

It would then have that stupid ass music that they feel Americans like but in all reality is like razor blades being shot into your ears.

#84 Posted by Pffrbt (6528 posts) -

It would probably have slightly more enjoyable gameplay and the story would take on a slightly more campy tone. Overall it'd be a more enjoyable, likable game.

#85 Edited by ReadingRainbow4 (13462 posts) -

@FoxbatAlpha said:

It would then have that stupid ass music that they feel Americans like but in all reality is like razor blades being shot into your ears.

I love j-pop.

#86 Posted by Pffrbt (6528 posts) -

when Japanese games have shooting mechanics it flirts with disaster

How do you figure that when pretty much the only good third person shooters made have all come from Japan.

#87 Posted by handssss (1825 posts) -

it might have a silly as hell awesome box art.

#88 Posted by PS360Wii4eva (297 posts) -

Talking bout gameplay. Can you imagine a stealth Resident Evil.

#90 Posted by MirkoS77 (7172 posts) -

dialogue and cut scenes would be hyperbolic emotions with long pauses. Enemies would be awesome though like creepy girls with long black hair in hospital gowns that rush at you.

Your avatar looks like a female Lord Gaben.

#91 Edited by Ballroompirate (22555 posts) -

@freedomfreak said:

@Yangire said:

This.

Not to mention that one character that is the key to EVERYTHING. Not a good plot twist, btw. And the other one finding his inner courage in times of need?

C'mon.

Come on freedom, skimpy chicks fighting each other isn't cliche ether?, I mean don't get me wrong I LOVE skimpy chicks fighting each other but it's still a male fantasized cliche setting. Also Eren really isn't a silent type (actually sometimes he cant shut up), only Levi is and he's introduced late into the season, then after/during the Forest chapter he gets pretty involved and talkative.

Also people don't know if Eren in AoT is humanities last hope or will be apart of their extinction, that's what makes AoT amazing cause it throws curve balls at you. AoT pretty much reminds me of Game of Thrones, it introduces new characters constantly and you have no idea who's gonna live or who is gonna die, not even Mikasa and Eren are immune to the "we aren't gonna kill off these characters" cause anybody can die off.

I'd love if eastern devs would start writing games like AoT, also the soundtrack in AoT is just fraking...it's like a orgy of amazing in sound form, just imagine if this was in a video game and you're at a epic fight and it's blasting through the speakers 0_0

(2:25-4:17 is the best part)

#92 Posted by princeofshapeir (13783 posts) -

@Yangire said:

This.

C'mon.

The silent, mysterious, and strong trope is so common across all media, not just anime. You'd be hard-pressed to not find it in a video game, movie, or TV show today. And that being said, Mikasa and Levi are quite different from the "badass" archetypes that fill anime; neither are cold and heartless, both have a strong sense of duty and commitment to their comrades, and their backstories flesh out their motivation. I think Episode 22 of the anime really gets at the core of Levi and creates so much more depth for him.

Also Eren isn't the key to everything. [spoiler] His status as a Titan Shifter [/spoiler] creates more questions than answers, and establishes a whole lot more depth and conspiracy to the plot. How would the plot be any better if that wasn't introduced? It would just set up the Colossal Titan as the ultimate big bad, and the story would be squarely focused on humans killing Titans.

Didn't you say you only watched a few episodes, freedom? Things get a whole lot more interesting after the Battle for Trost arc. Part two of Season One really heats things up and sets up a whole lot of twists. And after the final episode of this first season there's the manga, which will just blow your damn mind with all the plot points that get raised...

#93 Posted by silversix_ (14083 posts) -

Instead of winning hundreds of awards it would've won zero, be forgotten 2 days after release, sell ~60k copies, look like a ps2 title and eleven sequels would be released in which Ellie is sexualized more n more in each of the sequels. thanks god its not made in japan.

#94 Posted by j2zon2591 (2239 posts) -

Joel oji-san will be tappin' loli-Ellie's ass.. lots of panty shots and sexual undertones.

Also the infection is actually caused by some evil God/deity.

They will have giant swords and have cat friends and giant mechs.

Cutscenes will have anime cardboard cut outs with no moving lips.

In the end Ellie revealed as a 1000 year old demoness so Joel's lust is forgiven lmao.

Lots of jpop music.

#95 Posted by stationplay_4 (443 posts) -

then it would be an rpg. full of sexual innuendos.

#96 Posted by freedomfreak (39214 posts) -

The silent, mysterious, and strong trope is so common across all media, not just anime. You'd be hard-pressed to not find it in a video game, movie, or TV show today. And that being said, Mikasa and Levi are quite different from the "badass" archetypes that fill anime; neither are cold and heartless, both have a strong sense of duty and commitment to their comrades, and their backstories flesh out their motivation. I think Episode 22 of the anime really gets at the core of Levi and creates so much more depth for him.

Also Eren isn't the key to everything. [spoiler] His status as a Titan Shifter [/spoiler] creates more questions than answers, and establishes a whole lot more depth and conspiracy to the plot. How would the plot be any better if that wasn't introduced? It would just set up the Colossal Titan as the ultimate big bad, and the story would be squarely focused on humans killing Titans.

Didn't you say you only watched a few episodes, freedom? Things get a whole lot more interesting after the Battle for Trost arc. Part two of Season One really heats things up and sets up a whole lot of twists. And after the final episode of this first season there's the manga, which will just blow your damn mind with all the plot points that get raised...

I honestly couldn't find any depth anywhere, like, at all. Maybe for Mikasa, because of something that happened in the past, but whoopity doo, it's why she's so quiet, which anyone could've figured out. I just don't see a simple flashback as a good reason to create depth for a character.

I haven't watched up to episode 22. Not sure if I even want to. For me, there was nothing too exciting happening. I didn't dig Eren's plot twist. And I don't know how it would've continued from that point on without, but I'm not gonna argue against the manga, there's no point. It is what it is, but that doesn't make me feel any more different towards it.

Also, how long is this anime gonna go? I already had trouble with the pacing in the first season.

Come on freedom, skimpy chicks fighting each other isn't cliche ether?, I mean don't get me wrong I LOVE skimpy chicks fighting each other but it's still a male fantasized cliche setting. Also Eren really isn't a silent type (actually sometimes he cant shut up), only Levi is and he's introduced late into the season, then after/during the Forest chapter he gets pretty involved and talkative.

Also people don't know if Eren in AoT is humanities last hope or will be apart of their extinction, that's what makes AoT amazing cause it throws curve balls at you. AoT pretty much reminds me of Game of Thrones, it introduces new characters constantly and you have no idea who's gonna live or who is gonna die, not even Mikasa and Eren are immune to the "we aren't gonna kill off these characters" cause anybody can die off.

I'd love if eastern devs would start writing games like AoT, also the soundtrack in AoT is just fraking...it's like a orgy of amazing in sound form, just imagine if this was in a video game and you're at a epic fight and it's blasting through the speakers 0_0

(2:25-4:17 is the best part)

I like Kill La Kill for a whole lot of different reasons. It's pretty damn self-aware of how silly it is, and it works out for me because I get a few good laughs out of that show. Not to mention the soundtrack is lovely.

I don't know where AoT will go, and it would be nice if some plot twists popped up that proved me wrong, but I don't feel like sticking around for it, because I didn't enjoy it too much for reasons listed in this very thread.

Is Levi the blonde fella? Because he annoyed the shit out of me with his screaming when they were doing the whole boulder thing, which took way too long. Just a single episode of that blonde dude screaming with intense camera shake. I'm sorry, but I don't find that emotional.

#97 Posted by misterpmedia (3363 posts) -

@MirkoS77 said:

@misterpmedia said:

dialogue and cut scenes would be hyperbolic emotions with long pauses. Enemies would be awesome though like creepy girls with long black hair in hospital gowns that rush at you.

Your avatar looks like a female Lord Gaben.

Half Love 3 confirmed ;)

#98 Posted by Krelian-co (10424 posts) -

I don't know where AoT will go, and it would be nice if some plot twists popped up that proved me wrong, but I don't feel like sticking around for it, because I didn't enjoy it too much for reasons listed in this very thread.

Is Levi the blonde fella? Because he annoyed the shit out of me with his screaming when they were doing the whole boulder thing, which took way too long. Just a single episode of that blonde dude screaming with intense camera shake. I'm sorry, but I don't find that emotional.

oh wow someone actually didn't like this series? it's so amazing, everyone i know loved it. and Levi is not the blonde guy, and yes the blonde guy is annoying but he becomes a little decent as the series progress.

#99 Posted by Yangire (8787 posts) -

@princeofshapeir:

The story would be far more interesting if they didn't have the ultraman gimmick. They didn't need the magical ability that gives them the chance to win, nor should they have to win. I'm fine with manga/anime that lets the main character have some special power because he's the main character, but I didn't want that from AoT.

#100 Posted by HalcyonScarlet (4045 posts) -

Sickeningly emo. Anyone seen the Wolverine Anime or the X-Men one. I'd imagine they'd do that to it.