If Super Smash Brother Brawl's Online Fails, Nintendo's Online Strategy Fails

• 65 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Redmoonxl2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Redmoonxl2
Member since 2003 • 11059 Posts
Lets face it, folks. SSBB is Nintendo's Halo 2. It's the game that will prove whether or not Nintendo is ready for the online scene. So far there are several things hindering the Wii's online capabilities (I'm looking at you, Friend Codes). While things like FCs may not be that huge an issue, online features within games is.

Pokemon Battle Revolution, for example, is barebones when it comes to it's features yet foolish. Is there any reason why I have to input two separate FCs just to play against someone I know? Also, is there a reason why random battles and friend battles are the only options for online play? Where's my worldwide stats, lobby, tournament options, optional 2v2 battles, clan recruitment and the ability to customize rule sets? Considering that Pokemon is one of the biggest Nintendo franchises, this is disappointing as hell.

With Pokemon Battle Revolution out in Japan so far, things are not looking good for Smash's online implementation. Nintendo has touted online Smash for several E3s now and if Nintendo cannot support what is quite possibly their biggest multiplayer franchise ever (Melee = 6 million sold), all faith in Nintendo's online strategy will be lost. There is still hope (Hell, the Tony Hawk games on the DS has things like clans and worldwide stats) but things are not looking up if Pokemon Battle Revolution is any indication.

Any thoughts?
Felous1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 Felous1
Member since 2006 • 4557 Posts
Nintendo has an online strategy ?
Redmoonxl2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 Redmoonxl2
Nintendo has an online strategy ?Felous1

Thank you for your thought provoking post. Please, partake of some punch and pie while you waste time making pointless posts.
rockstar183

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 rockstar183
Member since 2006 • 1637 Posts
it will be laggggggg fest i hope they dont even try
darkmagician06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 darkmagician06
Member since 2003 • 6060 Posts
they need more than just random matches...
jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#6 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts
yeah it will make or break nintendo. lets get serious if smash bros sucks or has bad online or no online nintendo loses all out. i mean come on nintendo pick it up the mellenium isnt new anymore its 2007. online gaming isnt that hard anymore, nintendo please join us in the year 2007 not 1998.
Stoner-Dude

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 Stoner-Dude
Member since 2005 • 1544 Posts
meh...SSBB isn't about high scores or tournaments any way
Copy_Snake

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Copy_Snake
Member since 2006 • 335 Posts
I don't see why people are complaining about Friend Codes. At least they did it right and have the code set to the system, unlike the DS.
FC = Gamertag. Isn't it that simple? >_>

I haven't read up much on BR, but if it's only going to have minimum capabilities online, it might just be better to do it over the DS :P
Redmoonxl2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Redmoonxl2
it will be laggggggg fest i hope they dont even try rockstar183

There are ways to lessen lag (i.e. Regional matches).

Face it, online is important to this generation of gaming. Nintendo is not fairing well in that department.
Marka1700

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Marka1700
Member since 2003 • 7500 Posts
How so?
Ptolemaueus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Ptolemaueus
Member since 2006 • 947 Posts

I'm not putting too much faith into Nintendo's online.  It'll be okay, since you'll at least be able to play games.  But it won't offer a very deep experience like XBL or PSN.

Also, I question how well Brawl will be able to function online.  The Smash Bros. series is a fast-paced game.  And in an IGN article of Pokemon Battle Revolution, it was stated there was lag and it is much slower paced than Smash Bros.

TheOneMan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#12 TheOneMan
Member since 2006 • 2952 Posts
[QUOTE="rockstar183"]it will be laggggggg fest i hope they dont even tryCommon Sense
Thank you for your thought provoking post. Please, partake of some punch and pie while you waste time making pointless posts.

Redmoonxl2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 Redmoonxl2
meh...SSBB isn't about high scores or tournaments any wayStoner-Dude

Smash Bros Melee has a huge tournament scene. Where have you been?
Felous1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Felous1
Redmoonxl2
Thanks for your intelligent thread ! Nintendo online will fail because of one game ! :lol:
navigata

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15 navigata
Member since 2005 • 7619 Posts
They never had any online ever, and for them to be bold with an epic title like SSBB they will rely on its single success and the general public will look at it as its breaking ice..if it does good than they have good planning but if it fails then theyre screwed
16bitkevin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16 16bitkevin
Member since 2005 • 3962 Posts
They just need lobbies and less lag as possible. Doesn't Tony Hawk DHJ for DS have a lobby system of some kind? Anyways, back to the lag part. I question why Nintendo uses wireless as standard for connection online. Wireless tends to have a lot of choke and packet loss, which is really bad for gaming. Just because your handheld has wireless doesn't mean your console should have it too Nintendo :evil:
Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#17 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts
My thought exactly. SSBB will be THE deciding point on nintendo's online strategy. If it fails...then things aren't going to look good for the future of Wii's online.
HappySunnGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 HappySunnGuy
Member since 2006 • 1265 Posts

how would you know this? back things up or dont post at all.
rockstar183

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 rockstar183
[QUOTE="rockstar183"]it will be laggggggg fest i hope they dont even try Marka1700
How so?

3d fighting games online =lag . smash is a fast paced game with 4 players on screen and a ton of things going on, the lag is going to be bad
wooooode

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 wooooode
Member since 2002 • 16666 Posts
The biggest part of Nintendos online is the VC and it is doing well so no.
amtentori

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 amtentori
Member since 2003 • 1911 Posts
i reaaaaaaaaaaalllllllllllyyyyyyyyyyyyy hope brawl has good online... if they dont it will be very hard to beat melee.
Redmoonxl2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Redmoonxl2
[QUOTE="Redmoonxl2"]Thank you for your thought provoking post. Please, partake of some punch and pie while you waste time making pointless posts.
Felous1
Thanks for your intelligent thread ! Nintendo online will fail because of one game ! :lol:

It will because it's Nintendo's biggest multiplayer franchise. Nintendo's commitment to online when it comes to their biggest multiplayer franchise determines what they do with the rest of their online games in the future. Following along or do I have to sit you on my lap and show you cartoon animal pictures so you can understand?
HappySunnGuy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 HappySunnGuy
Member since 2006 • 1265 Posts
[QUOTE="Marka1700"][QUOTE="rockstar183"]it will be laggggggg fest i hope they dont even try rockstar183
How so?

3d fighting games online =lag . smash is a fast paced game with 4 players on screen and a ton of things going on, the lag is going to be bad

good point, but i dont think it will be a problem. i REALLY hope it wont be a problem.
kukukuk

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 kukukuk
Member since 2005 • 2406 Posts
They just need lobbies and less lag as possible. Doesn't Tony Hawk DHJ for DS have a lobby system of some kind?16bitkevin
if so, then things are looking up.
Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Shinobishyguy
wait....is online even confirmed for SSBB?
Tristam22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Tristam22
Member since 2006 • 1598 Posts
If I could have all of Nintendo's games with a decent online component, or ONLY SSBB with amazing online, I would take SSBB hands down. You're right; SSBB is Nintendo's equivalent to Halo as far as competition goes. Hell, MLG hosted a lot of their Halo 2 and SSBM tournaments side-by-side. I went to one, did pretty well, and got my ass kicked by the 7th best player in the world (I still managed to take off two stock out of four though). Either way, it was extremely fun. Imagine a lag-free experience, Nintendo-hosted tournaments, leaderboards, match-ups by ranking, and so on. Man I'd probably never play anything else.
kingqaz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 kingqaz
Member since 2005 • 1419 Posts

Just got off Diddy Kong racing for the DS, completely lag free. If the DS can do it the wii can.
Redmoonxl2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Redmoonxl2
wait....is online even confirmed for SSBB? Shinobishyguy

It's been confirmed for years.
Felous1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Felous1
It will because it's Nintendo's biggest multiplayer franchise.Redmoonxl2
Still one game. They also have 4-5 years to get the online better and SMBB is coming out this year. You fail miserably.
NeoStar9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 NeoStar9
Member since 2003 • 1761 Posts
Hardly. One game isn't going to break anything. Nintendo's online strategy is already underway or are people ignoring everything they've done so far when it comes to the Wii Channels, WiiConnect24, Virtual Console, and games that already have online aspects (Pokemon, Elebits)? Seriously people act as if SSBB having online or not is Nintendo's first online aspect to the Wii. The system has been online with online services since it launched. Remember as well it took a full year for Xbox Live on the original Xbox to get up and running. Nintendo is already ahead in terms of their services and they still have plenty of time left to get the rest up so games can take better advantage of it. Which seems to be underway as well since developers are finally getting more online information and kits according to previews. They didn't have them before and that's understandable since they were launching titles or titles released just after launch. Let's wait until this time next year to see if Nintendo failed or not and in what area, not as a whole (since that clearly isn't the case at the moment).
rockstar183

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 rockstar183
[QUOTE="rockstar183"][QUOTE="Marka1700"][QUOTE="rockstar183"]it will be laggggggg fest i hope they dont even try HappySunnGuy
How so?

good point, but i dont think it will be a problem. i REALLY hope it wont be a problem.

i think it is . i dont want it to be but iv seen 2d fighting games on pc lag , so a game like ssbb isnt a good choice to put online
Felous1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Felous1
Hardly. One game isn't going to break anything. NeoStar9
It's always good to see another person that makes sense.
Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Shinobishyguy
still....as long as the online is as lag-free as possible and uses the wii's own friend code insteadfof a seperate FC...then I'm fine.
Tristam22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 Tristam22
[QUOTE="Redmoonxl2"]It will because it's Nintendo's biggest multiplayer franchise.Felous1
Still one game. They also have 4-5 years to get the online better and SMBB is coming out this year. You fail miserably.

Actually, a lot of the scope of Nintendo's online strategy does rest upon SSBB. Imagine how sparsely populated (relatively speaking) XBL would be if Halo 2 didn't exist. That drew A LOT of people into XBL.
Redmoonxl2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 Redmoonxl2
[QUOTE="Redmoonxl2"]It will because it's Nintendo's biggest multiplayer franchise.Felous1

And Mr. Clifford, the big red dog, said, "Your reading comprehension fails. Smash Brothers Brawl sets the tone for online games coming from Nintendo in the future the same way Halo 2 did for the Xbox."

Felous1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Felous1
Actually, a lot of the scope of Nintendo's online strategy does rest upon SSBB.Tristam22
Even if SSMBB sucks online Nintendo's online won't fail. They still have years ahead to improve just like Sony is going to.
Ptolemaueus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Ptolemaueus
Can someone please explain to me how Nintendo's success in online depends on one game?
Felous1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Felous1
Can someone please explain to me how Nintendo's success in online depends on one game?Ptolemaueus
I would love to know that, too. :)
Tristam22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 Tristam22
[QUOTE="Tristam22"]Actually, a lot of the scope of Nintendo's online strategy does rest upon SSBB.Felous1
Even if SSMBB sucks online Nintendo's online won't fail. They still have years ahead to improve just like Sony is going to.

They can improve, but SSBB is THE killer *online* app for Nintendo. Nothing else even comes close. It rivals Halo 2 in popularity for Christ's sake. I'm sure there are people who want to buy a Wii exclusively for SSBB online.
hellsing321

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 hellsing321
Member since 2005 • 9608 Posts
Send your concerns to Nintendo, so hopefully we can rectify them.
Redmoonxl2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Redmoonxl2
[QUOTE="Tristam22"]Actually, a lot of the scope of Nintendo's online strategy does rest upon SSBB.Felous1

However, Sony still hasn't developed that one game that defined the Playstation's online play. Closest thing is Socom but it never drew in people like Halo 2 did.
sonicmj1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 18

#42 sonicmj1
Member since 2003 • 9130 Posts
It's true that if SSBB's online is bad, Nintendo isn't necessarily completely doomed online. However, it doesn't bode well.

As others have said, the Super Smash Bros series is Nintendo's flagship multiplayer franchise. It was the best-selling title on the Gamecube, and it is highly anticipated. Many people expect the online to be great. One would hope Nintendo would put the most effort possible into making a fantastic online experience.

To be fair, this would be Nintendo's second online console game (Pokemon Battle Revolution being the first), so any mistakes they make could be chalked up solely to inexperience. However, if they scale back the online significantly, if it suffers from major lag issues, or if it is flat-out broken, many, many people will be extremely dissapointed. And if these miscues occur in the game that Nintendo can least afford them to happen, it wouldn't look good for the future of Nintendo's online, at least in their first-party titles.
GsSanAndreas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 GsSanAndreas
Member since 2004 • 3075 Posts
Why would they keep the friend code thing?  its so annoying needing to add this and that just to play.  they should try and do a xbox live or PSN thing,  thers a username , lobby,  and boom you start the match,  and then the extras like customize and download, a shop. etc..
Redmoonxl2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Redmoonxl2
Send your concerns to Nintendo, so hopefully we can rectify them.hellsing321

I really should. As you may know, I'm a huge Nintendo fan but I'm not blind to the fact that Nintendo's online implementations to their games on the DS and the Wii (With Pokemon) is kinda pathetic. This is coming from a guy who plays Jump Ultimate Stars religiously.
NeoStar9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 NeoStar9
Member since 2003 • 1761 Posts
Can someone please explain to me how Nintendo's success in online depends on one game?Ptolemaueus
Easy it doesn't. There are many aspects to Nintendo's online strategy and its doing well so far. Where people are getting this idea that one game is going to determine it's success is crazy. I'd like to know their reasoning for even considering that and why they are ignoring all of the other aspects of Nintendo's online service at the same time just to force that thought.
ArisShadows

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 ArisShadows
Member since 2004 • 22784 Posts
Lets face it, folks. SSBB is Nintendo's Halo 2. It's the game that will prove whether or not Nintendo is ready for the online scene. So far there are several things hindering the Wii's online capabilities (I'm looking at you, Friend Codes). While things like FCs may not be that huge an issue, online features within games is.

Pokemon Battle Revolution, for example, is barebones when it comes to it's features yet foolish. Is there any reason why I have to input two separate FCs just to play against someone I know? Also, is there a reason why random battles and friend battles are the only options for online play? Where's my worldwide stats, lobby, tournament options, optional 2v2 battles, clan recruitment and the ability to customize rule sets? Considering that Pokemon is one of the biggest Nintendo franchises, this is disappointing as hell.

With Pokemon Battle Revolution out in Japan so far, things are not looking good for Smash's online implementation. Nintendo has touted online Smash for several E3s now and if Nintendo cannot support what is quite possibly their biggest multiplayer franchise ever (Melee = 6 million sold), all faith in Nintendo's online strategy will be lost. There is still hope (Hell, the Tony Hawk games on the DS has things like clans and worldwide stats) but things are not looking up if Pokemon Battle Revolution is any indication.

Any thoughts?
Redmoonxl2
Your poll is confusing.. Am I voting for a democrat or a republican?
Dekuxutu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Dekuxutu
Member since 2006 • 6905 Posts
I wasn't aware that Nintendo had an online strategy.
Redmoonxl2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Redmoonxl2
[QUOTE="Ptolemaueus"]Can someone please explain to me how Nintendo's success in online depends on one game?NeoStar9
Easy it doesn't. There are many aspects to Nintendo's online strategy and its doing well so far. Where people are getting this idea that one game is going to determine it's success is crazy. I'd like to know their reasoning for even considering that and why they are ignoring all of the other aspects of Nintendo's online service at the same time just to force that thought.

When I say "Online Strategy", I mean online play. It's clear that I meant online play in my post and not other stuff such as Virtual Console and the such. The fact is that one game does determine a platform's online success. Look at World of Warcraft, Halo 2, Gears of War and Socom. These are games that represents their platforms like icons, the game in which you must meet or beat on their respected platforms. Tell me, what's Nintendo's WoW/Halo/GeOW?

Redmoonxl2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 Redmoonxl2
[QUOTE="Redmoonxl2"]Lets face it, folks. SSBB is Nintendo's Halo 2. It's the game that will prove whether or not Nintendo is ready for the online scene. So far there are several things hindering the Wii's online capabilities (I'm looking at you, Friend Codes). While things like FCs may not be that huge an issue, online features within games is.

Any thoughts?
ArisShadows
Your poll is confusing.. Am I voting for a democrat or a republican?

Actually, you're voting for a member from the Green Party.
Ptolemaueus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Ptolemaueus

[QUOTE="NeoStar9"][QUOTE="Ptolemaueus"]Can someone please explain to me how Nintendo's success in online depends on one game?Redmoonxl2

When I say "Online Strategy", I mean online play. It's clear that I meant online play in my post and not other stuff such as Virtual Console and the such. The fact is that one game does determine a platform's online success. Look at World of Warcraft, Halo 2, Gears of War and Socom. These are games that represents their platforms like icons, the game in which you must meet or beat on their respected platforms. Tell me, what's Nintendo's WoW/Halo/GeOW?

NOW I see your point.