If Sunset Overdrive isn't a hit, could Insomniac go under?

• 108 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

ChiefFreeman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 0

#1 ChiefFreeman
Member since 2005 • 5667 Posts

I'm pretty 'meh' on that game. It doesn't look amazing from a technical or gameplay standpoint, and Insomniac's last game, FUSE, wasn't a hit. If Sunset Overdrive doesn't sell well, could Insomniac go out of business? The 'bundle' might be the only way this game moves.

Avatar image for chikenfriedrice
chikenfriedrice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 chikenfriedrice
Member since 2006 • 13561 Posts

It will be a hit....but if somehow it doesn't sell well, they can release it on other platforms later ( that happens sometimes with xbox exclusives).

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#4  Edited By jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

lol im pretty sure someone will snatch them up if it gets that bad. They own the ip so they can release it on whatever platform they want

Avatar image for Bread_or_Decide
Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Bread_or_Decide
Member since 2007 • 29761 Posts

XBOX one players don't want inventive colorful games. They should have put this on PS4. The console where owners embrace their exclusives.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60681 Posts

It will sell well and they will not go under.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 44944 Posts

It might sell a million. Hipster games don't go that far.

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Bread_or_Decide

@SolidGame_basic said:

It might sell a million. Hipster games don't go that far.

Hipster? Dafuq? How is this a hipster game? Must everything someone hates be labeled. "Bro game" "hipster game" blah blah blah just stop.

Avatar image for deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 deactivated-5acbb9993d0bd
Member since 2012 • 12449 Posts

Maybe if they stopped making mediocre shooters and tried something else...

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#10 blackace
Member since 2002 • 23576 Posts

@ChiefFreeman said:

I'm pretty 'meh' on that game. It doesn't look amazing from a technical or gameplay standpoint, and Insomniac's last game, FUSE, wasn't a hit. If Sunset Overdrive doesn't sell well, could Insomniac go out of business? The 'bundle' might be the only way this game moves.

It only needs to sell 1 million + to be a hit. I think that will be a given at this point. Especially with the holidays just around the corner. Titanfall sold over 2 million units on the XB1 alone and another million on PC/XBox 360. I think they will do just fine.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

it could, depending on how much Money MS are using to support Development.

There really does not need to be many mistakes, or games that don't sell well on consoles to make a Company go under. And aperrently that bar is going up all the time. It was not that long ago that selling a million copies was considered really freakin impressive, and now the Publishers moan if the game does not break the 3-5 million mark.

So I hope to god (whichever one listens) that it does well, I certainly don't need more devs going under, the last gen alone pretty much killed off half the industry, and left the rest so Vanilla that everything you playied that was AAA produced was absolutely forgettable.

Sunset overdrive atleast looks fairly entertaining. And I like that people are trying something just slightly different.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#12  Edited By DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

@Bread_or_Decide said:

XBOX one players don't want inventive colorful games. They should have put this on PS4. The console where owners embrace their exclusives.

HAHAHA, good one.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

@blackace said:

@ChiefFreeman said:

It only needs to sell 1 million + to be a hit. I think that will be a given at this point. Especially with the holidays just around the corner. Titanfall sold over 2 million units on the XB1 alone and another million on PC/XBox 360. I think they will do just fine.

I'd like to know where you're getting this 1 million figure from. AAA games typically need to sell 2-3 million copies just to break even. It's what inherently wrong with the AAA sales model. It's why the Titanfall dev/pub won't release actual sales numbers and they're already talking about shuttering it.

Any word on what the budget for Sunset Overdrive is? And who's footing the bill to promote it?

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#14 uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58646 Posts

Use kickstarter, make the game you have always dreamed of making.

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By PS4hasNOgames
Member since 2014 • 2620 Posts

@Bread_or_Decide said:

are you fucking insane? or just dumb, if anything xbox always gets colorful inventive games. all PS4 games are dark and cloudy, and have shitty gameplay in place of 4 hour cutscenes to distract you of its shitty gameplay.

Floppy_Jim

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#16 Floppy_Jim
Member since 2007 • 25930 Posts

Only a portion of Insomniac are working on it. Next year's R & C should do very well plus they're open to making multiplats.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#17 ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

@chikenfriedrice said:

It will be a hit....but if somehow it doesn't sell well, they can release it on other platforms later ( that happens all the time with xbox exclusives).

Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Suppaman100
Member since 2013 • 5250 Posts

Game is probably timed excluisve like Titanfall.

They will come back to PS soon enough with Xbone's poor sales

finalstar2007

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#19 finalstar2007
Member since 2008 • 27952 Posts

I am probably one of the few around here who actually got to play Sunset overdrive and i gotta say its nothing like Ratchet and Clank ( which is an amazing franchise ).. sunset is how i saw it when i played it was sort of like infamous meets survival mode it was nothing but destroying waves of enemies which got boring pretty quickly.

while its sad i have a feeling the game will flop

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

@finalstar2007 said:

I am probably one of the few around here who actually got to play Sunset overdrive and i gotta say its nothing like Ratchet and Clank ( which is an amazing franchise ).. sunset is how i saw it when i played it was sort of like infamous meets survival mode it was nothing but destroying waves of enemies which got boring pretty quickly.

That's how the game looks to me. I'll keep my expectations low.

GTSaiyanjin2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 GTSaiyanjin2
Member since 2005 • 6018 Posts

I think I'm going to pass on this game, I'll probably end up getting it when its on sale for $20. Graphics wise the game looks fine, its use of art and bright colors is good. And while the gameplay looks fun and interesting, it also looks like it will get boring extremely quick. I can see this being a good buy for people who just want to play some coop with friends.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

It will only be a hit for extremely low standards the Bone has. To everyone else it'll be a meh 7/10 game that you play and forget.

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By DEadliNE-Zero0

@Boddicker said:

I'd like to know where you're getting this 1 million figure from. AAA games typically need to sell 2-3 million copies just to break even. It's what inherently wrong with the AAA sales model. It's why the Titanfall dev/pub won't release actual sales numbers and they're already talking about shuttering it.

Any word on what the budget for Sunset Overdrive is? And who's footing the bill to promote it?

But then Forza 5, DR3, Infamous, Knack, where all failures since they sold about 1 million. But they where reported has sucessed.

And Titanfall did give figures. 1million+ i believe. Respawn even stated they where happy with the numbers. Ofcourse, EA probably wanted much more.

Infact, most console exclusives only sell between 1 to 2 million. I'm sure most exclusive studios make their projections based on those numbers.

Some break records like Halo, GOW, GeOW and Uncharted, but on average, those are the markets for exclusives.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

@deadline-zero0 said:

@Boddicker said:

But then Forza 5, DR3, Infamous, Knack, where all failures since they sold about 1 million. But they where reported has sucessed.

And Titanfall did give figures. 1million+ i believe. Respawn even stated they where happy with the numbers. Ofcourse, EA probably wanted much more.

Infact, most console exclusives only sell between 1 to 2 million. I'm sure most exclusive studios make their projections based on those numbers.

Some break records like Halo, GOW, GeOW and Uncharted, but on average, those are the markets for exclusives.

Last figure I heard about Titanfall was that it sold 2 million copies (vgchartz probably) and they're still talking about shutting the servers down. Though we'll never know for sure since the pub/dev aren't releasing actual numbers which speaks volumes. EA probably spent untold millions of dollars on promotions.

Of course they're counting all those games as "successes." Wouldn't want to lose face in front of the competition.

Knack is hardly a AAA game. Japanese studios typically have much smaller budgets than Western studios when considering DR3. As for Infamous and Forza I really don't know.

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

Insomniac has a history of making meh games, and downright garbage shooters.

Their failure will come from putting a shooter on a system that has actually gotten good shooters before (Xbox). Can't see Xbox fans buying this one given the competition it'll face.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

@Bread_or_Decide said:

XBOX One and PS4 players don't want inventive colorful games. They should have put this on WiiU. The console where owners embrace their exclusives.

Fixed for truth

and I'll add, this should be on all 3 consoles and PC.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 jcrame10
Member since 2014 • 6302 Posts

@ps4hasnogames: wut. Jak and Daxter, Sly, Ratchet, LBP, even Uncharted has some nice coloring. What games are colorful on Xbox, I can't really even think of any exclusives besides Gears or Halo or Fable

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By DEadliNE-Zero0

@Boddicker: Save face? Like Crytek, who reported low sales, at less than 1 million? Like SE who didn't meet expectations despite 6 million? If console exlusives actually needed 2-3 million to break even, almost every single one would have failed, and studios would be closing down and reporting layoffs like those.

Again, most exclusives are probably calculated to sell 1-2 million, like they always do. DR3, Forza 5, Infamous and, probably Killzone, but that one went on to sell 2 million, surprisingly.

You don't need to make excuses. Most exclusive studios and their platform holders know that platform limitations will have to counter back on the budget.

Insomniac is probably counting on a 1-2 million range aswell. Will they meet it? I have no idea. And regarding TF, like i said, that's EA. You where planning to use makerting to turn Titanfall into one of the next big FPS, but didn't work out.

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 PS4hasNOgames

@jcrame10 said:

@ps4hasnogames: wut. Jak and Daxter, Sly, Ratchet, LBP, even Uncharted has some nice coloring. What games are colorful on Xbox, I can't really even think of any exclusives besides Gears or Halo or Fable

dead rising, ryse, left 4 dead, crackdown, alan wake had awesome colors even though a lot of it took place at night.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 jcrame10

@ps4hasnogames: i thought we were comparing ps exclusive games to xbox exclusive games

Bread_or_Decide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Bread_or_Decide

@nini200 said:

@Bread_or_Decide said:

XBOX One and PS4 players don't want inventive colorful games. They should have put this on WiiU. The console where owners embrace their exclusives.

Fixed for truth

Truth for Fixed.

enzyme36

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 enzyme36
Member since 2007 • 5552 Posts

Off topic...

Something just irks me about that Bro-Dude frontman in Sunset Overdrive. I feel he is the stereotype of what non-gamers think gamers are like. Really rubs me the wrong way.

PS4hasNOgames

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33  Edited By PS4hasNOgames

@jcrame10 said:

@ps4hasnogames: i thought we were comparing ps exclusive games to xbox exclusive games

yes, in terms of consoles all those games are only on xbox.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#34 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14411 Posts

@Suppaman100 said:

But Titanfall isn't coming to Playstation. Your comment makes no sense.

Suppaman100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By Suppaman100
Member since 2013 • 5250 Posts

@speedfreak48t5p said:

@Suppaman100 said:

I meant the TItanfall franchise.

Or do you still believe that future Titanfall games will stay exclusive for Xbone?

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#36 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14411 Posts

@Suppaman100 said:

@speedfreak48t5p said:

@Suppaman100 said:

I meant the TItanfall franchise.

Or do you still believe that future Titanfall games will stay exclusive for Xbone?

No one believes the franchise will stay exclusive (except hardcore lemmings. lulz)

oflow

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#37 oflow
Member since 2003 • 5185 Posts

It will be a huge hit floating on a river of Ponie tears.

jcrame10

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 jcrame10

@ps4hasnogames: Dead Rising was on Playstation too, wasn't it? I feel like Left 4 Dead, Ryse, Dead Rising and maybe the others were on PC as well..so is it truely an "Xbox console exclusive"?

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 blackace

@Boddicker said:

@blackace said:

@ChiefFreeman said:

Yeah.. 2-3 million after the system has been out 3-5 years, of course. The systems haven't even been out for a year yet, so they aren't expected to sell 2-3 million units when they launch with a limited user base. If the game has legs it could easily sell 2-3 million units. It's a new IP though, so expectations are always lower. I have no idea how much they spent on Sunset Overdrive. I'm sure Microsoft contributed to the bill since it's XB1 exclusive.

nini200

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 nini200
Member since 2005 • 11484 Posts

@Bread_or_Decide said:

@nini200 said:

@Bread_or_Decide said:

Fixed for truth

Truth for Fixed.

I hate Bread, and everything else :\

blackace

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 blackace
@finalstar2007 said:

Not with the 8 player mode it won't. The game looks extremely fun. Ratche & Clank on the PS3 bored me to tears. Shoot, run and collect bolts/screws. Repeat again and again. I gave up after 2-3 hours of playing. Sunset Overdrive seems to have more character and a lot of different goals to complete. I'm more worried about The Order 1886, which has been said to be a shooter on rails. If that's the case, even the pretty graphics won't save that game. It'll turn out to be another Ryse.

tacoma1972

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By tacoma1972
Member since 2013 • 199 Posts

Would have sold WAY more on PS4. Im sure at this stage the chances of M$ securing a console exclusive is slim to none. Sony on the other hand could start to tear away and get more console exclusives.

Why would a developer what to design on such weak ass hardware.

clone01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 clone01
Member since 2003 • 29822 Posts

@uninspiredcup said:

Use kickstarter, make the game you have always dreamed of making.

You should get on that, and never post here again. You'd do us all a favor...we could get a good game, and never hear from you again. Win win.

nutcrackr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 72

User Lists: 1

#44 nutcrackr
Member since 2004 • 13032 Posts

It won't sell that great because xbone only and new IP. The name alone is not something that will grab the attention of most brodudes.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#45  Edited By cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38026 Posts

Looking forward to this. I liked resistance games. Think this will be fun. Its not on my list like arkham, witcher 3, halo 5 but I hope to have fun with friends on it.

SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#46  Edited By SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

@ChiefFreeman said:

Insomniac are working on next year's PS4 version of Ratchet and Clank with Sony, so they are fine. Insomniac are NOT relying on this one game to keep them afloat. It sounds to me you weren't aware of their 2015 Ratchet game coming for PS4?

Insomniac aren't relying on their new owned IP, Sunset Overdrive, to save them or something. It would be nice if it does well, since they own the IP and most likely have plans to spin a franchise around their owned IP.

kinectthedots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 kinectthedots
Member since 2013 • 3383 Posts

I don't see how this game can be a failure unlike other people. Literally nothing of quality has released this entire year that's exclusive to xbox one. I am sure fans who bought the $500 bone are eager to have into something on their system this year that is a true ground up current gen exclusive to dig into.

The same thing was true about PS4 when Infamous came out. People said it wasn't a system seller but it proved to move units and increase PS4s overall average for that month. Anyone who would have been interested on something like Infamous Second Son on PS4 who owns an xbox one will probably pick up this game.

This honestly looks better than any Ratchet n Clank game Insomniac has ever done and the game looks fun despite detractors.

handssss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 handssss
Member since 2013 • 1907 Posts

@kinectthedots said:

I don't see how this game can be a failure unlike other people. Literally nothing of quality has released this entire year that's exclusive to xbox one. I am sure fans who bought the $500 bone are eager to have into something on their system this year that is a true ground up current gen exclusive to dig into.

The same thing was true about PS4 when Infamous came out. People said it wasn't a system seller but it proved to move units and increase PS4s overall average for that month. Anyone who would have been interested on something like Infamous Second Son on PS4 who owns an xbox one will probably pick up this game.

This honestly looks better than any Ratchet n Clank game Insomniac has ever done and the game looks fun despite detractors.

just because something is exclusive doesn't mean something will sell. Knack was a surprise, but I bet that was mostly launch hype. This game is coming out smack dab in the middle of juggernauts like COD, Destiny, AC, and GTA. Halo MCC as well.

kinectthedots

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49  Edited By kinectthedots
Member since 2013 • 3383 Posts

@handssss said:

@kinectthedots said:

just because something is exclusive doesn't mean something will sell. Knack was a surprise, but I bet that was mostly launch hype. This game is coming out smack dab in the middle of juggernauts like COD, Destiny, AC, and GTA. Halo MCC as well.

And I question you, what other game like this is there to play on xbox one?

Look at the games you named now look at the type of game Sunset Overdrive is. Now remember my, "Anyone who would have been interested on something like Infamous Second Son on PS4 who owns an xbox one will probably pick up this game." comment.

Just naming games isn't a good argument here because SO isnt like any of them nor would they have the same appeal to a demographic who would like something like it. Regardless of what anyone thinks or fanboy stance users here have, exclusives still matter to people who buy these game consoles and there isn't anything else quite like SO on xboxone right now.

GamersJustGame

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50  Edited By GamersJustGame
Member since 2014 • 323 Posts

@treedoor said:

Insomniac has a history of making meh games, and downright garbage shooters.

Their failure will come from putting a shooter on a system that has actually gotten good shooters before (Xbox). Can't see Xbox fans buying this one given the competition it'll face.