if ps4 charges for online will you stay??!?

• 99 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

osirisx3

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#1 osirisx3
Member since 2012 • 2113 Posts

I don't think i would stay. I have heard some rumores that they are planning to do this. What do you guys think?

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

User Lists: 1

#2 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

nope ill stay w ps3 vita but not ps4    ill just play locally , unless i drop xbl, im not paying for 2 consoles 

argetlam00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 argetlam00
Member since 2006 • 6573 Posts

I don't think they will and I'm not sure if I would. They are very likely to have a service like PS+ but even more expanded, but I'm sure that Netflix and online gaming will be free. I definately won't be switching to the Xbox if Sony takes those away though, since its the same but worse over there. Will likely go full-blown PC gamer. 

andmcq

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 andmcq
Member since 2012 • 259 Posts

They need to charge. Microsoft generated about $650 million revenue P/A because of XBL. Sony won't want to miss out on that this time around and they shouldn't either.

Avatar image for deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 deactivated-5e0e425ee91d8
Member since 2007 • 22399 Posts
Depends heavily on what they offer, but if it was about the same as Gold, than I see no value in that.
soulitane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 soulitane
Member since 2010 • 15091 Posts
I'd probably still buy one, barely play online anyway.
lx_theo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 lx_theo
Member since 2010 • 6211 Posts

If they charge, I won't pay for online. If a premium membership like PS+ offers stuff I want (like PS+ does now) and has online attached to it, then I guess I'd have it. But I wouldn't get anything that I wouldn't feel is worth the price without online.

argetlam00

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 argetlam00
Member since 2006 • 6573 Posts

They need to charge. Microsoft generated about $650 million revenue P/A because of XBL. Sony won't want to miss out on that this time around and they shouldn't either.

andmcq

Wow, **** this industry. 

catasaurus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#9 catasaurus
Member since 2011 • 249 Posts

doesn't bother me too much. they'll have deals like xbox live. paying online also smoothes out plenty of things.

CanYouDiglt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 CanYouDiglt
Member since 2009 • 8474 Posts
As of right now I do not see a reason to get a PS4 as it is. This may be the first gen I do not get a Playstation console.
nightshade869

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#12 nightshade869
Member since 2007 • 3457 Posts
I only vote yay, b/c I would still get a PS4, but I just won't play online. I love single player games and hardly play online to begin with. If there is a game I want to play online and Sony wants to charge me like ahole MS does, then I will get it on my PC.
BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts
Depends heavily on what they offer, but if it was about the same as Gold, than I see no value in that.darkspineslayer
Same applies to me
Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60712 Posts
Of course. If Sony does it you know it will be a tremendous value.
Avatar image for deactivated-594be627b82ba
deactivated-594be627b82ba

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 31

#15 deactivated-594be627b82ba
Member since 2006 • 8405 Posts

Yeah I would, because I don't care much about online. The only thing that I use online for is to download demos. 

tubbyc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 tubbyc
Member since 2005 • 4004 Posts
I would, but I'd have to make an effort to play online more, and maybe only join if a new Souls game comes out for it.
ultraking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 ultraking
Member since 2004 • 6904 Posts
yup
aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

I am not that much into multiplayer on consoles except Monter hunter so cant say i care that much.

Avatar image for Douevenlift_bro
Douevenlift_bro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Douevenlift_bro
Member since 2013 • 6804 Posts

i think they wont.

nitekids2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 nitekids2004
Member since 2005 • 2981 Posts

Looking at the advantages of PS+, you'd be stupid not to. 

Either way, PS4 is going to be the de facto console next gen. 

FinalFighters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 FinalFighters
Member since 2013 • 3410 Posts
Depends on what they offer. But im still getting a PS4 regardless
k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 1

#22 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

i Can't see Sony going to far from being the online free model while MS does charge. I can see a teir level system put in place with online being free and rest of stuff have a membership behind it. 

KarateeeChop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#23 KarateeeChop
Member since 2010 • 4666 Posts

paying for the worst online service available? no thanks. :(

StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 StrongDeadlift
Member since 2010 • 6073 Posts

Yes, cows will stay with the PS4.  

Furthermore, if Xbox were to go free next gen, while Sony charges, Cows STILL would not convert to Xbox despite how big of corporate activists they pretend to be.  Instead of converting to Xbox due to free online,  and adhering to their core beliefs, they will instead just shut up about XBL fees and quietly back down pretending they never said anything about it :)

You have to understand, Sony and Cows (which are one and the same) tactics.  When it doesnt suit them, ignore it.  Pretend it doesnt exist. Example:  Sony used to boast about sales last gen.  Now, they hide their figures, and combine multiple consoles.  They dont even release figures anymore.  

Another example: Sony released the Vita in japan, and shouted from the rooftops about how they sold 325k in its first few days.  Fast foreward to the US launch......Sony didnt even mention its launch numbers, even 3 weeks after its launch, and PR declined to comment.  Not a peep from Sony about it.  Quiet as a church mouse :) Cows are one in the same with Sony, and they will use these exact tactics next gen, if Sony charges for online.  

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 shawn30
Member since 2006 • 4409 Posts

imo Sony should charge a fee resembling Xbox Lives fee. As a Xbox Live user, its just not a huge deal for me to pay 3 bucks a month essentially for hours and hours of online play. And for a company financially struggling as as as Sony is, and cows they are in really bad shape, this additional revenue will help them as it has helped MS operate in the black for the last 3 to 4 years.

Its smart and not really a big freaking deal. Things change in life, thats just the way it is. I remember when beepers were the rage, LOOONNNGG before smart phones. And if 3 or 5 bucks a month is that big of an issue to you enjoying your fav hobby of gaming, you need a new hobby.

nitekids2004

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 nitekids2004
Member since 2005 • 2981 Posts

imo Sony should charge a fee resembling Xbox Lives fee. As a Xbox Live user, its just not a huge deal for me to pay 3 bucks a month essentially for hours and hours of online play. And for a company financially struggling as as as Sony is, and cows they are in really bad shape, this additional revenue will help them as it has helped MS operate in the black for the last 3 to 4 years.

Its smart and not really a big freaking deal. Things change in life, thats just the way it is. I remember when beepers were the rage, LOOONNNGG before smart phones. And if 3 or 5 bucks a month is that big of an issue to you enjoying your fav hobby of gaming, you need a new hobby.

shawn30

Sony would rather go bankrupt than deprive their consumer base on what is rightfully theirs. 

That's the Sony way. :cool:

shawn30

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 shawn30
Member since 2006 • 4409 Posts

[QUOTE="shawn30"]

nitekids2004

Sony would rather go bankrupt than deprive their consumer base on what is rightfully theirs. 

That's the Sony way. :cool:

You may be right, lol. Maybe Sony would rather shun any new revenue and sell off another dozen or so buildings than to reap the obvious benefits of charging for online ala their competition. I mean its not like half of the 76 or so million 360 users happily pay a month. Oh wait.... Forget it. Sony cares only about core gamers. Even if it kills them :)
Avatar image for deactivated-5f26ef21d6f71
deactivated-5f26ef21d6f71

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 deactivated-5f26ef21d6f71
Member since 2006 • 2521 Posts

They won't. Why bother, if PS+ has done a great job so far? Free basic MP online is what keeps the fans supporting Sony. And those extra perks extends the value of PS+, imo. I could only see PS+ vastly improved on the PS4. But at the same time, keeping basic Free Online MP FREE.

Same reason why MS won't remove their subscription Gold service, simply because they're (robbing) making money off their customers.

senses_fail_06

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 senses_fail_06
Member since 2006 • 7033 Posts
Sony would not do that to us.
Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

Do you have to be online all the time?

I don't like playing online I prefer split-screen.

Avatar image for megaspiderweb09
megaspiderweb09

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 megaspiderweb09
Member since 2009 • 3686 Posts

I wont even bother myself with it, may as well quit gaming entirely. Just follow news and watch reviews ant what not, i mean its difficult playing games as it is for me so this would just fasten my decision

Ly_the_Fairy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Ly_the_Fairy
Member since 2011 • 8541 Posts

Paying for online doesn't bother me.

What'll keep me away from the PS4 is the lineup of games. 

nightshade869

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#34 nightshade869
Member since 2007 • 3457 Posts

[QUOTE="StrongDeadlift"]

Yes, cows will stay with the PS4.  

Furthermore, if Xbox were to go free next gen, while Sony charges, Cows STILL would not convert to Xbox despite how big of corporate activists they pretend to be.  Instead of converting to Xbox due to free online,  and adhering to their core beliefs, they will instead just shut up about XBL fees and quietly back down pretending they never said anything about it :)

You have to understand, Sony and Cows (which are one and the same) tactics.  When it doesnt suit them, ignore it.  Pretend it doesnt exist. Example:  Sony used to boast about sales last gen.  Now, they hide their figures, and combine multiple consoles.  They dont even release figures anymore.  

Another example: Sony released the Vita in japan, and shouted from the rooftops about how they sold 325k in its first few days.  Fast foreward to the US launch......Sony didnt even mention its launch numbers, even 3 weeks after its launch, and PR declined to comment.  Not a peep from Sony about it.  Quiet as a church mouse :) Cows are one in the same with Sony, and they will use these exact tactics next gen, if Sony charges for online.  

2_Quiet_2_Riot

You seriously need to go outside, take a deep breath, have a beer and try to get laid

Agreed lol....although sadly I think a lot of people would do that. I am not one of them, but I think quite a few would.
tubbyc

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 tubbyc
Member since 2005 • 4004 Posts

Nintendo_Ownes7

Nope.

http://kotaku.com/5985874/ps4-will-not-require-an-always+online-connection

Avatar image for Nintendo_Ownes7
Nintendo_Ownes7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Nintendo_Ownes7
Member since 2005 • 30973 Posts

[QUOTE="Nintendo_Ownes7"]

tubbyc

Nope.

http://kotaku.com/5985874/ps4-will-not-require-an-always+online-connection

So I will stay I don't play online (I do sometimes but I'm not a fan) If it required online all the time then I wouldn't purchase it.

Speedzilla

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Speedzilla
Member since 2012 • 1732 Posts

Sony would not do that to us. senses_fail_06

Shottayouth13-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Shottayouth13-
Member since 2009 • 7018 Posts
I won't buy any console that forces me to pay for online JUST to get online. F*ck that.
campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts
online play wont have a fee, because vita doesnt have it....and if they want to have the cross-play feature....you cant charge for 1 system and not the other
DeAquellas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 DeAquellas
Member since 2012 • 129 Posts

online play wont have a fee, because vita doesnt have it....and if they want to have the cross-play feature....you cant charge for 1 system and not the othercampzor

Wouldn't it just be linked by account/user name rather than console?

So if you buy + on PS4 you automatically have it for Vita?  Isn't it like this with PS3 and Vita?

JamDev

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 JamDev
Member since 2013 • 992 Posts
If they charge for basic functionality like live then I'm out. Optional charge to access additional content is fine. If both MS and Sony follow the live model this time round a gaming capable HTPC will be the best option next gen.
Avatar image for battlefieldfan4
battlefieldfan4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 battlefieldfan4

andmcq

SONY copying American innovation. 

DeAquellas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 DeAquellas

[QUOTE="andmcq"]

battlefieldfan4

Are you saying Americans are greedy?

darktx2005

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 darktx2005
Member since 2009 • 396 Posts

People are so full of it. Everybody claims they are out if used games are blocked, games are $70, playing online costs money on PSN and so on. The fact is if you are a gamer, you'll play the games regardless.

Avatar image for battlefieldfan4
battlefieldfan4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 battlefieldfan4

[QUOTE="battlefieldfan4"]

[QUOTE="andmcq"]

DeAquellas

I'm saying that SONY should come up with their own way to make money instead of copying Americans.

Pug-Nasty

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Pug-Nasty
Member since 2009 • 8508 Posts

Depends on what they offer.

I pad for Live even though they don't offer dick for it, but only so I can play with friends and have a laugh or two at the end of a 12 hour work day.

An online system which provided high quality online play for all games featured on it would be worth paying a moderate fee for it, but all systems I play on now, (PS3, 360, PC), are full of laggy piles of crap masquerading as competitive games.

campzor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 campzor
Member since 2004 • 34932 Posts

[QUOTE="campzor"]online play wont have a fee, because vita doesnt have it....and if they want to have the cross-play feature....you cant charge for 1 system and not the otherDeAquellas

So if you buy + on PS4 you automatically have it for Vita?  Isn't it like this with PS3 and Vita?

ye, but you cant just start charging vita owners for online play.
SolidTy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 SolidTy
Member since 2005 • 49991 Posts

I don't think i would stay. I have heard some rumores that they are planning to do this. What do you guys think?

osirisx3

If they dare charge me, I will run from Sony and into the hands of Xbox!

I need to escape the financial abuse!

I already have a PC and a Wii U, so next move is PS4720.

DeAquellas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 DeAquellas

[QUOTE="DeAquellas"]

[QUOTE="battlefieldfan4"]

battlefieldfan4

I'm saying that SONY should come up with their own way to make money instead of copying Americans.

They aren't copying if they aren't doing the same thing.  Both are different services.  Could they've gotten ideas? Of coarse, but not literally copying.

Making an idea better, its the way of the world.  If we didn't 'copy' we'd be stuck in the stone age.

DeAquellas

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 DeAquellas

[QUOTE="DeAquellas"]

[QUOTE="campzor"]online play wont have a fee, because vita doesnt have it....and if they want to have the cross-play feature....you cant charge for 1 system and not the othercampzor

ye, but you cant just start charging vita owners for online play.

I don't see why not, but hope you're right. :)