if ps4 charges for online will you stay??!?

• 99 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by osirisx3 (2039 posts) -

I don't think i would stay. I have heard some rumores that they are planning to do this. What do you guys think?

#2 Posted by mariokart64fan (19805 posts) -

nope ill stay w ps3 vita but not ps4    ill just play locally , unless i drop xbl, im not paying for 2 consoles 

#3 Posted by argetlam00 (6573 posts) -

I don't think they will and I'm not sure if I would. They are very likely to have a service like PS+ but even more expanded, but I'm sure that Netflix and online gaming will be free. I definately won't be switching to the Xbox if Sony takes those away though, since its the same but worse over there. Will likely go full-blown PC gamer. 

#4 Posted by andmcq (253 posts) -

They need to charge. Microsoft generated about $650 million revenue P/A because of XBL. Sony won't want to miss out on that this time around and they shouldn't either.

#5 Posted by darkspineslayer (20650 posts) -
Depends heavily on what they offer, but if it was about the same as Gold, than I see no value in that.
#6 Posted by soulitane (14041 posts) -
I'd probably still buy one, barely play online anyway.
#7 Posted by lx_theo (6211 posts) -

If they charge, I won't pay for online. If a premium membership like PS+ offers stuff I want (like PS+ does now) and has online attached to it, then I guess I'd have it. But I wouldn't get anything that I wouldn't feel is worth the price without online.

#8 Posted by argetlam00 (6573 posts) -

They need to charge. Microsoft generated about $650 million revenue P/A because of XBL. Sony won't want to miss out on that this time around and they shouldn't either.

andmcq

Wow, **** this industry. 

#9 Posted by catasaurus (241 posts) -

doesn't bother me too much. they'll have deals like xbox live. paying online also smoothes out plenty of things.

#11 Posted by CanYouDiglt (7632 posts) -
As of right now I do not see a reason to get a PS4 as it is. This may be the first gen I do not get a Playstation console.
#12 Posted by nightshade869 (3457 posts) -
I only vote yay, b/c I would still get a PS4, but I just won't play online. I love single player games and hardly play online to begin with. If there is a game I want to play online and Sony wants to charge me like ahole MS does, then I will get it on my PC.
#13 Posted by BPoole96 (22814 posts) -
Depends heavily on what they offer, but if it was about the same as Gold, than I see no value in that.darkspineslayer
Same applies to me
#14 Posted by Heil68 (48397 posts) -
Of course. If Sony does it you know it will be a tremendous value.
#15 Posted by da_illest101 (7753 posts) -

Yeah I would, because I don't care much about online. The only thing that I use online for is to download demos. 

#16 Posted by tubbyc (3814 posts) -
I would, but I'd have to make an effort to play online more, and maybe only join if a new Souls game comes out for it.
#17 Posted by ultraking (6904 posts) -
yup
#18 Posted by aroxx_ab (11045 posts) -

I am not that much into multiplayer on consoles except Monter hunter so cant say i care that much.

#19 Posted by Douevenlift_bro (5997 posts) -

i think they wont.

#20 Posted by nitekids2004 (2981 posts) -

Looking at the advantages of PS+, you'd be stupid not to. 

Either way, PS4 is going to be the de facto console next gen. 

#21 Posted by FinalFighters (1989 posts) -
Depends on what they offer. But im still getting a PS4 regardless
#22 Posted by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -

i Can't see Sony going to far from being the online free model while MS does charge. I can see a teir level system put in place with online being free and rest of stuff have a membership behind it. 

#23 Posted by KarateeeChop (4666 posts) -

paying for the worst online service available? no thanks. :(

#24 Posted by StrongDeadlift (5332 posts) -

Yes, cows will stay with the PS4.  

Furthermore, if Xbox were to go free next gen, while Sony charges, Cows STILL would not convert to Xbox despite how big of corporate activists they pretend to be.  Instead of converting to Xbox due to free online,  and adhering to their core beliefs, they will instead just shut up about XBL fees and quietly back down pretending they never said anything about it :)

You have to understand, Sony and Cows (which are one and the same) tactics.  When it doesnt suit them, ignore it.  Pretend it doesnt exist. Example:  Sony used to boast about sales last gen.  Now, they hide their figures, and combine multiple consoles.  They dont even release figures anymore.  

Another example: Sony released the Vita in japan, and shouted from the rooftops about how they sold 325k in its first few days.  Fast foreward to the US launch......Sony didnt even mention its launch numbers, even 3 weeks after its launch, and PR declined to comment.  Not a peep from Sony about it.  Quiet as a church mouse :) Cows are one in the same with Sony, and they will use these exact tactics next gen, if Sony charges for online.  

#25 Posted by shawn30 (4367 posts) -

imo Sony should charge a fee resembling Xbox Lives fee. As a Xbox Live user, its just not a huge deal for me to pay 3 bucks a month essentially for hours and hours of online play. And for a company financially struggling as as as Sony is, and cows they are in really bad shape, this additional revenue will help them as it has helped MS operate in the black for the last 3 to 4 years.

Its smart and not really a big freaking deal. Things change in life, thats just the way it is. I remember when beepers were the rage, LOOONNNGG before smart phones. And if 3 or 5 bucks a month is that big of an issue to you enjoying your fav hobby of gaming, you need a new hobby.

#26 Posted by nitekids2004 (2981 posts) -

imo Sony should charge a fee resembling Xbox Lives fee. As a Xbox Live user, its just not a huge deal for me to pay 3 bucks a month essentially for hours and hours of online play. And for a company financially struggling as as as Sony is, and cows they are in really bad shape, this additional revenue will help them as it has helped MS operate in the black for the last 3 to 4 years.

Its smart and not really a big freaking deal. Things change in life, thats just the way it is. I remember when beepers were the rage, LOOONNNGG before smart phones. And if 3 or 5 bucks a month is that big of an issue to you enjoying your fav hobby of gaming, you need a new hobby.

shawn30

Sony would rather go bankrupt than deprive their consumer base on what is rightfully theirs. 

That's the Sony way. :cool:

#27 Posted by shawn30 (4367 posts) -

[QUOTE="shawn30"]

nitekids2004

Sony would rather go bankrupt than deprive their consumer base on what is rightfully theirs. 

That's the Sony way. :cool:

You may be right, lol. Maybe Sony would rather shun any new revenue and sell off another dozen or so buildings than to reap the obvious benefits of charging for online ala their competition. I mean its not like half of the 76 or so million 360 users happily pay a month. Oh wait.... Forget it. Sony cares only about core gamers. Even if it kills them :)
#28 Posted by KingsofQueens (2264 posts) -

They won't. Why bother, if PS+ has done a great job so far? Free basic MP online is what keeps the fans supporting Sony. And those extra perks extends the value of PS+, imo. I could only see PS+ vastly improved on the PS4. But at the same time, keeping basic Free Online MP FREE.

Same reason why MS won't remove their subscription Gold service, simply because they're (robbing) making money off their customers.

#29 Posted by senses_fail_06 (6768 posts) -
Sony would not do that to us.
#30 Posted by Nintendo_Ownes7 (30917 posts) -

Do you have to be online all the time?

I don't like playing online I prefer split-screen.

#31 Posted by megaspiderweb09 (3686 posts) -

I wont even bother myself with it, may as well quit gaming entirely. Just follow news and watch reviews ant what not, i mean its difficult playing games as it is for me so this would just fasten my decision

#32 Posted by Ly_the_Fairy (8541 posts) -

Paying for online doesn't bother me.

What'll keep me away from the PS4 is the lineup of games. 

#33 Posted by 2_Quiet_2_Riot (745 posts) -

Furthermore, if Xbox were to go free next gen, while Sony charges, Cows STILL would not convert to Xbox despite how big of corporate activists they pretend to be.  Instead of converting to Xbox due to free online,  and adhering to their core beliefs, they will instead just shut up about XBL fees and quietly back down pretending they never said anything about it :)

You have to understand, Sony and Cows (which are one and the same) tactics.  When it doesnt suit them, ignore it.  Pretend it doesnt exist. Example:  Sony used to boast about sales last gen.  Now, they hide their figures, and combine multiple consoles.  They dont even release figures anymore.  

Another example: Sony released the Vita in japan, and shouted from the rooftops about how they sold 325k in its first few days.  Fast foreward to the US launch......Sony didnt even mention its launch numbers, even 3 weeks after its launch, and PR declined to comment.  Not a peep from Sony about it.  Quiet as a church mouse :) Cows are one in the same with Sony, and they will use these exact tactics next gen, if Sony charges for online.  

StrongDeadlift

You seriously need to go outside, take a deep breath, have a beer and try to get laid

#34 Posted by nightshade869 (3457 posts) -

[QUOTE="StrongDeadlift"]

2_Quiet_2_Riot

You seriously need to go outside, take a deep breath, have a beer and try to get laid

Agreed lol....although sadly I think a lot of people would do that. I am not one of them, but I think quite a few would.
#35 Posted by tubbyc (3814 posts) -

Nintendo_Ownes7

Nope.

http://kotaku.com/5985874/ps4-will-not-require-an-always+online-connection

#36 Posted by Nintendo_Ownes7 (30917 posts) -

[QUOTE="Nintendo_Ownes7"]

tubbyc

Nope.

http://kotaku.com/5985874/ps4-will-not-require-an-always+online-connection

So I will stay I don't play online (I do sometimes but I'm not a fan) If it required online all the time then I wouldn't purchase it.

#37 Posted by Speedzilla (1732 posts) -

Sony would not do that to us. senses_fail_06

#38 Posted by Shottayouth13- (6879 posts) -
I won't buy any console that forces me to pay for online JUST to get online. F*ck that.
#39 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -
online play wont have a fee, because vita doesnt have it....and if they want to have the cross-play feature....you cant charge for 1 system and not the other
#40 Posted by DeAquellas (129 posts) -

online play wont have a fee, because vita doesnt have it....and if they want to have the cross-play feature....you cant charge for 1 system and not the othercampzor

Wouldn't it just be linked by account/user name rather than console?

So if you buy + on PS4 you automatically have it for Vita?  Isn't it like this with PS3 and Vita?

#41 Posted by JamDev (989 posts) -
If they charge for basic functionality like live then I'm out. Optional charge to access additional content is fine. If both MS and Sony follow the live model this time round a gaming capable HTPC will be the best option next gen.
#42 Posted by battlefieldfan4 (259 posts) -

andmcq

SONY copying American innovation. 

#43 Posted by DeAquellas (129 posts) -

[QUOTE="andmcq"]

battlefieldfan4

Are you saying Americans are greedy?

#44 Posted by darktx2005 (396 posts) -

People are so full of it. Everybody claims they are out if used games are blocked, games are $70, playing online costs money on PSN and so on. The fact is if you are a gamer, you'll play the games regardless.

#45 Posted by battlefieldfan4 (259 posts) -

[QUOTE="battlefieldfan4"]

[QUOTE="andmcq"]

DeAquellas

I'm saying that SONY should come up with their own way to make money instead of copying Americans.

#46 Posted by Pug-Nasty (8508 posts) -

Depends on what they offer.

I pad for Live even though they don't offer dick for it, but only so I can play with friends and have a laugh or two at the end of a 12 hour work day.

An online system which provided high quality online play for all games featured on it would be worth paying a moderate fee for it, but all systems I play on now, (PS3, 360, PC), are full of laggy piles of crap masquerading as competitive games.

#47 Posted by campzor (34932 posts) -

[QUOTE="campzor"]online play wont have a fee, because vita doesnt have it....and if they want to have the cross-play feature....you cant charge for 1 system and not the otherDeAquellas

So if you buy + on PS4 you automatically have it for Vita?  Isn't it like this with PS3 and Vita?

ye, but you cant just start charging vita owners for online play.
#48 Posted by SolidTy (46276 posts) -

I don't think i would stay. I have heard some rumores that they are planning to do this. What do you guys think?

osirisx3

If they dare charge me, I will run from Sony and into the hands of Xbox!

I need to escape the financial abuse!

I already have a PC and a Wii U, so next move is PS4720.

#49 Posted by DeAquellas (129 posts) -

[QUOTE="DeAquellas"]

[QUOTE="battlefieldfan4"]

battlefieldfan4

I'm saying that SONY should come up with their own way to make money instead of copying Americans.

They aren't copying if they aren't doing the same thing.  Both are different services.  Could they've gotten ideas? Of coarse, but not literally copying.

Making an idea better, its the way of the world.  If we didn't 'copy' we'd be stuck in the stone age.

#50 Posted by DeAquellas (129 posts) -

[QUOTE="DeAquellas"]

[QUOTE="campzor"]online play wont have a fee, because vita doesnt have it....and if they want to have the cross-play feature....you cant charge for 1 system and not the othercampzor

ye, but you cant just start charging vita owners for online play.

I don't see why not, but hope you're right. :)