I think there could be no stopping to microtransactions

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Salt_The_Fries (8145 posts) -

http://mygaming.co.za/news/columns/60531-micro-transactions-in-aaa-games-here-to-stay.html

http://n4g.com/user/blogpost/fenome/524448

Two very good blog posts about it, though hardly reinventing the wheel...I personally think A) more and more games in this gen will have multiplayer tacked on so that there could be forced DLCs and microtransactions everywhere B) everything that has multiplayer will be microtransaction'd to death C) since Forza 5 already forces you to grind your way for cash / cars, there could be some meddling with single-player content as well, mainly some chore/grind-enforcing mechanisms at the heart of games.

This is disgusting. As long as the original flow of the single-player game is not altered because of creating it with microtransactions in mind, I'm fine, but otherwise, I'm not.

#2 Posted by clyde46 (43531 posts) -

If people keep paying, they will keep doing it.

#3 Posted by Netret0120 (1886 posts) -

As long as it isn't a MUST to use it to progress then i don't care. You have a choice to buy it but you don't hace to.

#4 Posted by RossRichard (2305 posts) -

They will only continue if people pay. The second we get tired of it, and boycott every game that has microtransactions in them, they will go away. I promise you. Look at the XBone's 180 if you don't believe me.

#5 Posted by lamprey263 (22428 posts) -

Microtransactions in many games allow impatient gamers to purchases what other gamers can simply earn by playing the game, and yet people throw around that world like it's synonymous with HIV.

#6 Posted by BeardMaster (1580 posts) -

@lamprey263: How does that make it ok? considering games , especially multiplayer ones are all about earning accomplishments. For instance its better when leaderboards reflect a players skill, rather than how much money they are willingto waste imo.

#7 Edited by ShepardCommandr (2121 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

this

#8 Edited by Murderstyle75 (4163 posts) -

@Netret0120:

That choice arguement only goes so far. These companies could cut current disc based content in half and somebody would use the exact same arguement.

#9 Posted by mems_1224 (45742 posts) -

As long as they remain optional I dont really care.

#10 Posted by Murderstyle75 (4163 posts) -

@clyde46:

And Lems certainly don't mind paying. Its like passing around the collection tray at a church.

#11 Posted by lamprey263 (22428 posts) -

@lamprey263: How does that make it ok? considering games , especially multiplayer ones are all about earning accomplishments. For instance its better when leaderboards reflect a players skill, rather than how much money they are willingto waste imo.

People bitched about how people can buy guns instead of earning them in Battlefield, doesn't make a lick of difference, I never spent a dollar on DLC for Battlefield for weapons and upgrades and I've always done very well for myself. Practice is what makes a better player, lots of practice and some level of inherent skill, but practice is where it's at. Practice lets you learn the maps to have effective strategies for playing offensively or defensively. Playing smart will help one earn more XP during each map. Coordinating with friends is also essential in games like that. Doing well helps the most at upgrading player classes to unlock the equipment and weapons. And sticking to a particular weapon easily helps one upgrade it. But I'm not one to stick to any one class and type of weapons, I mix it up in each match depending on what's needed to shift the tide of battle, and you can't buy that kind of effectiveness, you need skill and familiarity, and a committed player will always best someone wasting money on shortcuts.

#12 Edited by Cyberdot (3510 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

Pretty much.

I have very little faith in people, so I can't see microtransactions ending anytime soon.

#13 Posted by OreoMilkshake (12718 posts) -

Don't buy them. Don't buy games that enforce them. Be a hero.

#14 Posted by treedoor (7478 posts) -

Don't support those practices, and tell everyone you know to not support them.

The only reason devs put them in games is because they know people will pay for them. If gamers stop supporting the practice then eventually devs will stop doing it.

#15 Posted by Sushiglutton (5171 posts) -

Yeah it's just too good business wise. I mean there are tons and tons of assets in a $60 game. That people will actually pay like a dollar for a gun or two is just too juicy to resist for most publishers.

#16 Posted by Ninja-Hippo (23426 posts) -

The only reason microtransactions exist is because gamers are too cheap to buy full-priced retail games, so developers cannot make any money.

And of course gamers have nothing but complaints about having to pay more money for the game they didn't properly pay for in the first place.

#17 Posted by 2mrw (4957 posts) -

Never bought a DLC and I could live with that so I think I can manage.

#18 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (24241 posts) -

It was only a matter of time.

DLC was the first step.

This is the next.

#19 Posted by foxhound_fox (86862 posts) -

We could have stopped them if we spoke out against horse armor.

#20 Edited by PannicAtack (20856 posts) -

The only reason microtransactions exist is because gamers are too cheap to buy full-priced retail games, so developers cannot make any money.

And of course gamers have nothing but complaints about having to pay more money for the game they didn't properly pay for in the first place.

But they did. Developers and publishers are milking customers for more money to play the games they already bought. And not in that "we need money to keep the servers running" kind of MMO way.

#21 Edited by PsychoLemons (1910 posts) -

At this rate there is no stop to it.

#22 Posted by caseypayne69 (5384 posts) -

@RossRichard:

Bingo. The moment we all as a whole stop paying for the micro transactions is when it will end.

#23 Posted by ryangcnx-2 (1171 posts) -

@Ninja-Hippo: They are in full retail games now. The ones that just use them for quick unlocks don't particularly annoy me as I can just as easily earn them in game. The ones for AC4 I just ignore because a little bit of exploring on my part and I'm finding all the treasures and such, no need to pay money for maps. Whats getting annoying is selling half the game and then selling the extra content as DLC. I purchased Forza 5, but I will not be purchasing any of the car DLC packs that are already on the marketplace since launch, thats when it's getting a little too ridiculous.

#24 Posted by dbtbandit67 (353 posts) -

Yeah, but it won't work if they go overboard like they did with Forza 5

Nobody is going to pay $90 for a micro-transaction that exceeds the purchase price of the game. That's no longer a micro-transaction. Microsoft always insists to learn their lessons the hard way.

#25 Posted by Gaming-Planet (13704 posts) -

The downfall of the video game industry.

Microtransactions is a great method to repel gamers like me.

#26 Posted by Salt_The_Fries (8145 posts) -

^ Me too. BTW I'd actually like to meet a typical person who uses micro transactions on a regular basis and see what he / she looks like.

#27 Edited by Bruin1986 (1175 posts) -

As long as games keep getting more and more expensive to develop, publishers will keep creating more and more methods to make a profit.

There is no point in whining about them in a "stick it to the man" context. Without "the man", you have no video games at all. You don't have computers in the first place, either.

If you demand better graphics, physics, AI, map sizes, etc...this all costs more and more money to create.

Compare the average development cost of a game in 2000 and 2013. There's your answer.

#28 Posted by Murderstyle75 (4163 posts) -

@Bruin1986:

Then why did Epic Games want to keep all Gears content free of charge? It wasn't a developer wanting more money to cover expenses. It was a greedy virtual store owner wanting to gouge prices. They did the exact same thing to Valve.

#29 Edited by casharmy (6813 posts) -

@Ninja-Hippo said:

I understand your logic and there may be some truth to that...but this is MS we are talking about here. They made a model designed around trying to milk gamers for every ounce of content that they can possibly think of AND it is NOT FOR THE DEVELOPERS it's just to line MS's pockets with as much money as they can squeeze out of the consumer.

Microsoft forcing fees? Marketplace Phil. 101 with Epic and Microsoft

n the most recent podcast of the 1UP Yours show Tim Sweeney and Mark Rein from Epic Games (Gears of War,Unreal Tournament) sat down and talked about Xbox Live Marketplace and a host of other topics. But the quote that stuck in people's heads was when Tim Sweeney implied Epic would like to give Gears of War maps away for free on Xbox Marketplace (like they did the original maps), but Microsoft won't let them.

Sweeney said, "We already released two [maps] and we have four more maps that we've built. We've been wanting to give them away for a long time but actually Microsoft has been pushing back on us for that. They're trying to build this business model around selling additional content for games and that's a valid idea, but definitely we would like to release more stuff for free, and we haven't been able to do so -- yet. Which is unfortunate,

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/04/09/microsoft-forcing-fees-marketplace-phil-101-with-epic-and-microsoft/

#30 Posted by casharmy (6813 posts) -

@Bruin1986:

Then why did Epic Games want to keep all Gears content free of charge? It wasn't a developer wanting more money to cover expenses. It was a greedy virtual store owner wanting to gouge prices. They did the exact same thing to Valve.

Exactly,(my post above)

MS was the source of this greedy tactic and the people who supported them wholeheartedly really have no place to talk on the matter since they were the sole contributors

Remember lemmings saying, "MS is a business, they have to make money some how" yea idiots like that are the reason why we are seeing more of this now and it may be unavoidable in the future, but it's not like many of us weren't calling it for what it was when if first appeared. The appologists where were defending it then are now saying, "as long as it's optional I don't care" but the ground work is already set...what comes next is the basic mandatory things you need to play the game or at least be competitive.

To all people who defended MS tactics for all these years you should take a bow, this is a product of all your support.