I think Capcom is on its last legs

• 66 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

There are numerous reasons why I think so. First of all - Deep Down has been subjected to numerous delays and its future is uncertain and the hype is all long but gone now. Secondly, releasing Resident Evil Revelations 2 in episodic format - it suggests that they don't have a whole lot money or big internal teams right now. Thirdly, rehashing a remaster of a Resident Evil remake. Fourthly creating Street Fighter V as PS4 console exclusive presumably after instant cash injection to help fund the development. I think all those factors - and I know that a lot of it is just a speculation - add up and paint a very specific picture that Capcom is now a far cry from its heydays. It's especially evident with releasing Resident Evil Revelations 2 in an episodic format. Once most cherished franchise of all video games, now reduced to a mere shadow of former self (a quote from Resident Evil 1 nonetheless).

Avatar image for ghostwarrior786
ghostwarrior786

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 ghostwarrior786
Member since 2005 • 5811 Posts

Good. Hopefully they are forced to sell all their ip

DefconRave

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 40

#3 DefconRave
Member since 2013 • 806 Posts

A situation of their own making. I have no sympathy for those nickel and dimers.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#4 uninspiredcup  Online
Member since 2013 • 58941 Posts

My gods.

bunchanumbers

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#5 bunchanumbers
Member since 2013 • 5709 Posts

Also they refuse to make Monster Hunter 4 for Wii U and gave a bunch of BS reasons why they won't make it. Its more likely that they can't afford to make the game. Also wasn't it reported that they voluntarily made it so they could be taken over and only have like 100m in the bank?

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#7 Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Blame their anti consumer policies. Capcom used to be my favorite devs back in Dino Crisis 2 days. Hell, Street Fighter 2 made me crazy about video games. That's how awesome they used to be. Not anymore.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#8  Edited By SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45101 Posts

none of the reasons you listed actually support your argument

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

I remember when the Capcom logo was a seal of quality.

Now it's a reminder to ask yourself "What fresh hell is this?"

Lavenders2001

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Lavenders2001
Member since 2014 • 58 Posts

I don't know what to think of the idea of Capcom going out of business.
Monster Hunter and Phoenix Wright are probably my two most favorite game series and they continue to deliver with the two series (Monster Hunter 4G (4U outside of Japan) is regarded as the best monster hunter game, PW5 was the best since 3 and 1). Street Fighter is also a series I enjoy more than I should, although I do not appreciate the silly amounts of DLC (albeit only 1 of them is not cosmetic in USF4) and the netcode on PC has seen better days, hilariously through GFWL. I couldn't give a damn about the other series tbh.
The signs definitely indicate some struggle on the financial front but there are some hopeful signs, like the Monster Hunter 3DS being completely sold out everywhere.
Of course, my opinion might be a bit off from the norm because I do not play the other series people complain about like Resident Evil.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#11  Edited By KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

It is one of the worst managed gaming companies that we know of. There have been better companies who had to quit. I agree with those above, with their attitude towards gamers and lack of respect for our money I place them in the same group as a company like Activision. They are just one of a dozen companies who have a negative influence on the industry. I am not so sure that them going out of business would be bad for the industry or for us. Too many suits too few gamers.

blamix99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#12 blamix99
Member since 2011 • 2685 Posts

Karma maybe

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

I might have to buy all the Dead Rising 3 DLC as a last minute salute to a company that was great at one time.

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14  Edited By GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

@FoxbatAlpha said:

I might have to buy all the Dead Rising 3 DLC as a last minute salute to a company that was great at one time.

Why not? You already celebrate mediocrity.

Gamer46

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 315

#15 Gamer46
Member since 2003 • 11304 Posts

It's too bad really. They started last gen great then just went full-on stupid and now we have the situation we have.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

Well, I will admit that I would not lose sleep over Capcom going under or sold wholesale. They have had atleast an 8 year stretch where they pretty much shit all over thier IP's and employees.

I used to love Capcom, they have been behind some of my favorite game series of all time. But they have systimatically broken them for reasons I can not explain even if I tryied.

But then, the Capcom of today, is not really the capcom that made Megaman, Resident Evil, Devil may Cry, and while they still supply some good games (phoenix Wright, Monster Hunter, Street Fighter 4) They are pretty much just a shadow of themselves.

The best that could happen to them now, is pretty much to get bought up wholesale, and have the leadership ditched completely (as in removed before purchache is final). They did afterall make it so you could own them buy buying enough shares.

Heck I would not mind Ninto swooping in and napping it, would be awesome to see a good Megaman on a Nintendo system Again, or a Proper Resident Evil (that is not some junky action game with something that resembles on olf man with a sheet over his head, trying to scare the kids).

PikachuDude860

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

User Lists: 5

#17 PikachuDude860
Member since 2014 • 1810 Posts

I think Nintendo should buy Capcom...But I doubt that will happen.

Nintendo IPs + Capcom IPs = BOOOOOOM!!!

Avatar image for deactivated-60bf765068a74
deactivated-60bf765068a74

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-60bf765068a74
Member since 2007 • 9558 Posts

would it kill capcom to release a new version of Megaman X, that looks and plays like X4 i feel that was the only playstation one that was good and that kinda gameplay is still very missed on these new systems

i really think the franchise could be revived in a indie type form

cuz look mighty number 9 and sutff is coming out why not a revamp megaman x game?

capcom needs to stop slamming doors and start making things that older fans might want to see and im not talking about remasters im talking about a brand new game in the series that doesnt suck like x5 or whatever

MonsieurX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 MonsieurX
Member since 2008 • 39858 Posts

@ProtossRushX said:

would it kill capcom to release a new version of Megaman X, that looks and plays like X4 i feel that was the only playstation one that was good and that kinda gameplay is still very missed on these new systems

i really think the franchise could be revived in a indie type form

cuz look mighty number 9 and sutff is coming out why not a revamp megaman x game?

capcom needs to stop slamming doors and start making things that older fans might want to see and im not talking about remasters im talking about a brand new game in the series that doesnt suck like x5 or whatever

Found the new CEO of Capcom ladies and gentlemen

Opus_Rea-333

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By Opus_Rea-333
Member since 2013 • 1238 Posts

Street Fighter V PS4 ftw... oh wait.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#22  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44559 Posts

I'd agree they're in serious trouble one way or another, either they really are in no position to fund games themselves or they're just making horrible business decisions.

I don't buy it though they didn't have the funds to develop SFV. They turned a profit last fiscal year. Yet I hear people bring up that their quarter ending a the end of September saw a 50% decline in revenues, as like to say "business is bad". People are way to reactionary and need to take a step back. Of course sales are down. Ask yourself, what has Capcom released in 2014? Let's see, Strider, Ace Attorney Trilogy, Ultra Street Fighter 4 add-on... that's about it. Shit, that's not enough to get to 50% YoY by itself, they probably made most that from Monster Hunter 4 3DS sales in Japan. Hell, their Japan focus IMO is the real reason for any decline. While the West got squat they gave their domestic market MH4, Monster Hunter Frontier 5G, Monster Hunter Frontier GG, and Sengoku Basara 4. They don't seem too committed to serving the Western market and that should be alarming.

Still, I'd find it hard to think they don't have the money to fund a Street Fighter game. It's more likely IMO that this is Capcom just playing favorites, and it wouldn't be a first. They did it with the PS2, GameCube, they did it with the Wii/DS, and they're doing it again. And, they're probably doing it at their own expense.

If it were the case that Sony shelled out wads of cash too much for Capcom to refuse I'd have no problem whatsoever having them make SFV exclusive for the PS4. That would be good business. However, if Capcom just by preference decided to make SFV exclusively for the PS4, with no more financial assistance than assistance in marketing costs for their domestic market, then I'd really have to question their business sense. I wouldn't be upset personally because I wouldn't get it anyways but man, way for to them set the course toward a day when they're not around to make games I do care about. I have doubts about the deal, mainly because Sony is in no position to be shelling out that kind of money to make it worth their time. Secondly, Capcom has had a multi-generation habit of playing favorites at their own expense for the system maker's benefit. Happened with the Playstation 2, the GameCube, happened with the Wii/DS, happening again with the PS4.

Though, I've seen the writing on the wall with Capcom for years. All going back to the very poor decision to close Clover Studios, that IMO lead to a chain reaction to put them on the course they are today. The closing of Clover lead to the their senior game creators leaving, and though it's not been written about much I can only imagine that when they left to create Platinum Games they probably took vital staff with them as well. People who things like coding, art design, animations, people they've worked with for years that were vital to their success at Capcom. Because I thought it was very clear after that happened, Capcom's games have taken a serious hit in the quality assurance area. Sure, they closed the studio to save a buck short term, but they lost the most important create assets they had. Sure, they can keep licenses, but if they lose the people that made them what they were then their helpless. That's how they've appeared throughout last gen, pretty helpless.

dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 dotWithShoes
Member since 2006 • 5596 Posts

@pikachudude860 said:

That would be awesome, and a major slap to Sony and MS.. lol.

2mrw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#24 2mrw
Member since 2008 • 6205 Posts

Sony should buy it and helps it improving its quality.

General_Solo76

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 General_Solo76
Member since 2013 • 578 Posts

They're definitely on their last legs. They've all but abandoned Mega Man, Breath of Fire, Ghosts and Goblins, Onimusha, Dino Crisis, and they don't even know how to make good Resident Evil games anymore. I want so badly for Nintendo to buy them outright.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#26 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

I'd kill for a new 2D Ghosts and Goblins game. The 3D Maximo games that were supposed be a "spiritual successor" left a bad taste in my mouth.

I hope someone buys the IP. A new Demon's Crest game would be nice too.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#27 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41532 Posts

@dotWithShoes said:

@pikachudude860 said:

And a major slap to Capcom fans who don't support Nintendo. Seriously, that would be a bigger outrage than Bayonetta 2 and that's one of the last things Nintendo needs right now.

kyacat

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#28 kyacat
Member since 2003 • 4408 Posts

Capcom used to be good but they haven't been good for while now and look what they did resident evil six made Chris story call of duty mix with gears of war and lets not forget the awful camera angle in resident evil six.

dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 dotWithShoes

@nintendoboy16 said:

@dotWithShoes said:

@pikachudude860 said:

And a major slap to Capcom fans who don't support Nintendo. Seriously, that would be a bigger outrage than Bayonetta 2 and that's one of the last things Nintendo needs right now.

If they don't support Nintendo to begin with, wheres the loss? Wouldn't that be akin to making people who hate you, hate you?

Avatar image for thegreatgeneral
TheGreatGeneral

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 TheGreatGeneral
Member since 2014 • 717 Posts

So... are there any kind of facts to be found in this thread?

2mrw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#32 2mrw
Member since 2008 • 6205 Posts

@farrell2k: they did pay for sf5, didn't they? I think they can spend money in the right areas.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

Capcom still has Monster Hunter

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 nintendoboy16

@dotWithShoes said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

If they don't support Nintendo to begin with, wheres the loss? Wouldn't that be akin to making people who hate you, hate you?

And Nintendo buying Capcom wouldn't trigger that?

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#35 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

They brought it on themselves if they truly are on their last legs.

Said though, because I would definitely place Capcom as my pick for all time best gaming publisher/developer house. The amount of classics they have provided me from when Megaman, Megaman X, Street Fighter 2, 3 and 4, Resident Evil, Maximo, Viewtiful Joe, Okami, God Hand, and that list could go for days. Shit even this past gen they made Dead Rising, which I think is a brilliant game. Fucking sucks that they are this lame now. Could be worse, they could be Konami.

dotWithShoes

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 dotWithShoes

@nintendoboy16 said:

@dotWithShoes said:

If someone doesn't support you already, wheres the loss if they continue to not support you? By NOT buying Capcom, would those people start supporting Nintendo?

onesiphorus

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 6

#37 onesiphorus  Online
Member since 2014 • 5248 Posts

I still believe that Capcom is fine regardless of the negativity it received in the last several years.

Avatar image for TrappedInABox91
TrappedInABox91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 TrappedInABox91
Member since 2013 • 1483 Posts

They should start selling their IPs. Megaman is begging to be made a Nintendo exclusive.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By nintendoboy16

@dotWithShoes said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

@dotWithShoes said:

If someone doesn't support you already, wheres the loss if they continue to not support you? By NOT buying Capcom, would those people start supporting Nintendo?

No, but considering Nintendo isn't on many good terms with gamers right now, buying them won't help either. They have A LOT of shit to sort out, a lot of it beyond difficult to the point of them receiving hypocritical reception for it.

TigerSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#40 TigerSuperman
Member since 2013 • 4331 Posts

@Salt_The_Fries said:

There are numerous reasons why I think so. First of all - Deep Down has been subjected to numerous delays and its future is uncertain and the hype is all long but gone now. Secondly, releasing Resident Evil Revelations 2 in episodic format - it suggests that they don't have a whole lot money or big internal teams right now. Thirdly, rehashing a remaster of a Resident Evil remake. Fourthly creating Street Fighter V as PS4 console exclusive presumably after instant cash injection to help fund the development. I think all those factors - and I know that a lot of it is just a speculation - add up and paint a very specific picture that Capcom is now a far cry from its heydays. It's especially evident with releasing Resident Evil Revelations 2 in an episodic format. Once most cherished franchise of all video games, now reduced to a mere shadow of former self (a quote from Resident Evil 1 nonetheless).

Deep Down is FP and it's not a mobile game, so they need to make sure to right the contracts deceptively so they can get more money.

Resident Evil 7 is in development and it's been confirmed for some time. RR2 seems like a stop gap.

They have made a ton of money off of mobile games. The dedicated handheld games also do "decent."

I'm not saying Capcom is not in trouble, they are, but they still have money makers on the scene so until those dry off, or Capcom spends MUCH MUCH more on a game to offset those profits, I do't see them THAT close to being dead. Especially since their last big AAA budget game was DR3, advertised and co-developed by Microsoft engineers, they haven't had one since and I believe that game will be Resident Evil 7.

Now if Resident Evil 7 fails then well ok, that may be a problem, because there's no doubt that they will be putting a sizable budget on it like 6 if not more so.

TigerSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 TigerSuperman

@TrappedInABox91 said:

They should start selling their IPs. Megaman is begging to be made a Nintendo exclusive.

Good way to bury the franchise further under the ground after Inafune did his damage.

22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 22Toothpicks
Member since 2005 • 12546 Posts

@pikachudude860 said:

Nah. The only Capcom IP I want Ninty to get their hands on is Megaman. The others should go to devs that suit the IP.

Really, I just want more fvcking Megaman and if that means Capcom goes under then so be it.

funsohng

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 funsohng
Member since 2005 • 29976 Posts

For once, I hope you are right.

Capcom is a cancer of this industry. It's a Camcer.

Doozie78

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44  Edited By Doozie78
Member since 2014 • 1123 Posts

They're a company led by greedy suits who have NO sense of what the gamers would want when it comes to games. Maybe this company needs to die off finally?

TigerSuperman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 TigerSuperman

@22Toothpicks said:

@pikachudude860 said:

Nah. The only Capcom IP I want Ninty to get their hands on is Megaman. The others should go to devs that suit the IP.

Really, I just want more fvcking Megaman and if that means Capcom goes under then so be it.

Ca't wait for Nintendo to screw Megaman up with this illogical belief they Nintendo can for some reason, not explained, can make good Megaman games.

22Toothpicks

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 22Toothpicks
Member since 2005 • 12546 Posts

@TigerSuperman said:

@22Toothpicks said:

@pikachudude860 said:

Ca't wait for Nintendo to screw Megaman up with this illogical belief they Nintendo can for some reason, not explained, can make good Megaman games.

That might be the most poorly worded sentence I've ever read but I guess you're trying to say you lack confidence in Ninty's ability to make a good Megaman game to which I respectfully disagree. I think they would make an amazing MM game especially if they handed it to, say, Retro Studios...mm,mmmmmmm...that would be nice.

PapaTrop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 PapaTrop
Member since 2014 • 1792 Posts

They brought it upon themselves.

Good riddance. Perhaps some other anti-consumer devs can join them.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#48 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Your first clue should have been when Capcom Announced they were only going to be working on Titles that would sell at least 2 million units.

It's why we haven't got a new Darkstalkers game, Why Megaman isn't being made, and why Capcom is playing it stupid safe with Street Fighter and Resident Evil.

mitu123

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 32

#49 mitu123
Member since 2006 • 155290 Posts

They used to be the best...now they started to suffer in Gen 7 and got worse from there.

Avatar image for TrappedInABox91
TrappedInABox91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 TrappedInABox91
Member since 2013 • 1483 Posts
@TigerSuperman said:

@22Toothpicks said:

@pikachudude860 said:

Megaman is something that you'll think Nintendo can do well. Sure, theres no proof of this, but it does seem right up their alley. Nintendo is known for their legendary platformers. Plus, Megaman as a character just fits Nintendo's image.