I predict that the iPad will be an amazing gaming device

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for GunSmith1_basic
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 21

User Lists: 0

#1 GunSmith1_basic
Member since 2002 • 10548 Posts

Don't get me wrong, I think there's a lot wrong with the iPad, but nothing that's relevant to this forum. (actually i've never tried an iPad, so i'm speculating at this point). Touch screen gaming has developed into a force, first with the DS and now with the iPhone/iPod touch.

My wager is this: I think that touch gaming's biggest limitation is that it has been confined to a tiny screen. The iPod touch in particular. Moving your fingers across that screen is an extremely limited control method. It's the reason the games are only a couple ofsteps better than computer solitare.

With that big screen you could fit in a lot of gaming elements. I want to try an RTS game on the iPad. It wouldn't get as much precision as you would on PC, but it would destroy the console RTS gaming experience.

With apple backing this thing the iPad will be a success. Nothing breeds success like success. Devs will give this thing a shot, and it will be a fruitful relationship

Avatar image for deactivated-63f6895020e66
deactivated-63f6895020e66

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 deactivated-63f6895020e66
Member since 2004 • 21177 Posts
I predict it won't. :o
doobie1975

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 doobie1975
Member since 2003 • 2806 Posts

as long as the games play to the strength of the system as opposed to trying to shoe horn in crappy ports with virtual controls.

blazer224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 blazer224
Member since 2007 • 397 Posts

as long as that system has no button, i cant really take it seriously as a "gaming" device.

Ontain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#5 Ontain
Member since 2005 • 25501 Posts
I predict it will be a place to play polished flashed type games for a fee.
GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 GunSmith1_basic

as long as the games play to the strength of the system as opposed to trying to shoe horn in crappy ports with virtual controls.

doobie1975
don't worry. It's not the wii
Dibdibdobdobo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 Dibdibdobdobo
Member since 2008 • 6683 Posts
I predict you should stop predicting.
doobie1975

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 doobie1975

as long as that system has no button, i cant really take it seriously as a "gaming" device.

blazer224
ever played a game called Zelda spirt tracks. that uses no buttons
Avatar image for Fuhgeddabouditt
Fuhgeddabouditt

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 Fuhgeddabouditt
Member since 2010 • 5468 Posts
I predict the iPad will one day have a USB.
darthkirmy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 darthkirmy
Member since 2009 • 174 Posts

Don't get me wrong, I think there's a lot wrong with the iPad, but nothing that's relevant to this forum. (actually i've never tried an iPad, so i'm speculating at this point). Touch screen gaming has developed into a force, first with the DS and now with the iPhone/iPod touch.

My wager is this: I think that touch gaming's biggest limitation is that it has been confined to a tiny screen. The iPod touch in particular. Moving your fingers across that screen is an extremely limited control method. It's the reason the games are only a couple ofsteps better than computer solitare.

With that big screen you could fit in a lot of gaming elements. I want to try an RTS game on the iPad. It wouldn't get as much precision as you would on PC, but it would destroy the console RTS gaming experience.

With apple backing this thing the iPad will be a success. Nothing breeds success like success. Devs will give this thing a shot, and it will be a fruitful relationship

GunSmith1_basic
I predict it wont be a success with the gamers. Gamers like graphics, storylines, controls, physical discs, all that great stuff that comes with owning a console. The Ipad has none of that. However, for the people that like to drink the proverbial Apple koolaid.... it may be a decent gaming device. But it will never appeal to the crowd that posts on the forums at GS.
blazer224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 blazer224
Member since 2007 • 397 Posts

[QUOTE="blazer224"]

doobie1975

I work at my local best buy, so ive gotten a chance to play with the system since day one...no doubt it is a cool device, but the gaming aspect of it seems horribly forced...some games work ok with it, others just flat out dont work...the system is not built around gaming...as opposed to the ds, which is...and yes i have played spirit tracks, it does infact work well with an all touch screen approach.

GunSmith1_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 GunSmith1_basic
[QUOTE="darthkirmy"][QUOTE="GunSmith1_basic"]

I predict it wont be a success with the gamers. Gamers like graphics, storylines, controls, physical discs, all that great stuff that comes with owning a console. The Ipad has none of that. However, for the people that like to drink the proverbial Apple koolaid.... it may be a decent gaming device. But it will never appeal to the crowd that posts on the forums at GS.

i think you are 100% correct that gamers won't accept it at first. Maybe it will be on this model or the next, but great games will pop up on the thing and grass roots and word of mouth will decide its fate
tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 tomarlyn
Member since 2005 • 20148 Posts

I hate Apple, but I'd rather have an iPad than my Wii.

applefan1991

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 applefan1991  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 3397 Posts
you were a fan of "Y2K" werent you? No but in all seriousness, I like Apple, im typing this on my MacBook, and listening to my iPod....but I hate the iPad, and hope it doesnt become successful
ogvampire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ogvampire
Member since 2008 • 9151 Posts

[QUOTE="blazer224"]

doobie1975

'system'... not 'games'

dawgrejectx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#16 dawgrejectx
Member since 2010 • 458 Posts

GunSmith1_basic
anyone who trys it and trys a few games(specially a free roaming one line Pocket legends) can see this.but it's to costly ATM but if someone were to make something about as big(maybe alilbit smaller) and develope big title games yes this would be an amazing portable platform to play games, already i found deeper games than what on DS and PSP(pocket legends,NFS Shift)but Mac isn't a gaming company so they won't pay companys to develope exclusives for them. so we will see if they do or if developers gravitate there.Thats why i love EA they game for Toasters if they could.
doobie1975

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 doobie1975

[QUOTE="doobie1975"][QUOTE="blazer224"]

ogvampire

'system'... not 'games'

i was just pointing out that games can be great with out buttons.
DarkLink77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 DarkLink77
Member since 2004 • 32731 Posts

I predict that they're won't be enough quality games on it for it to matter.

AdrianWerner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#19 AdrianWerner
Member since 2003 • 28441 Posts

The problem I have with iPad gaming is just how plain weak the hardware it is. You're paying twice as much as for 360 for a device with Playstation one level of graphics in higher res. It's like a device from a decade ago

starmetroid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 starmetroid
Member since 2007 • 5000 Posts
[QUOTE="blazer224"]

doobie1975

The wouldn't work on the Ipad/pod since your fingers would always be right beside or covering Link/other main character. It works on the DS because of the stylus