I'm confused, is the console war more about sales or games?

• 63 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

Going by what I've read on here, the PS3>Wii because it has better games, and the PS4>WiiU because it has better (potential) sales. (I'm not here to argue this, of course the PS4 will outsell the WiiU.)

But if you compare the two right now, in terms of sales Wii>PS3 and in terms of games WiiU>PS4.

So when you say PS3>Wii because of games, shouldn't you also have to say WiiU>PS4 because of games?

And when you say Wii>PS3 because of sales, shouldn't you also have to say PS4>WiiU because of sales?

Stop flopping back and forth between one category or the other to make your favorite company seem the best, stick to one or the other.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

User Lists: 5

#2 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

You expect consistency with cows?

I_can_haz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 I_can_haz
Member since 2013 • 6511 Posts

It's about both actually. Strong sales tend to lead to good games because all the good devs want the money. Wii was an exception to the rule because of Nintendo's shitty hardware and low attach rate.

millerlight89

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#4  Edited By millerlight89
Member since 2007 • 18658 Posts

@I_can_haz said:

It's about both actually. Strong sales tend to lead to good games because all the good devs want the money. Wii was an exception to the rule because of Nintendo's shitty hardware and low attach rate.

First time I have seen something worth while from this guy.

@princessgomez92 said:

Ahahaha, just thinking about your "show yourself" pic in off topic. Lol everytime. Poor Michael.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

Depends on what the cows are getting owned in.

Avatar image for TrappedInABox91
TrappedInABox91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#6 TrappedInABox91
Member since 2013 • 1483 Posts

Sometimes more hype is not a good thing. Esp. for a system doesn't plan on any good games till mid-late 2014.

At least no one knew about the Wii U while it was out lol

Jankarcop

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Jankarcop
Member since 2011 • 11058 Posts

its always been about sales, console games suck.

PSP107

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 PSP107
Member since 2007 • 18797 Posts

It should be about games.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9  Edited By PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

@drummerdave9099 said:

Going by what I've read on here, the PS3>Wii because it has better games, and the PS4>WiiU because it has better (potential) sales. (I'm not here to argue this, of course the PS4 will outsell the WiiU.)

But if you compare the two right now, in terms of sales Wii>PS3 and in terms of games WiiU>PS4.

So when you say PS3>Wii because of games, shouldn't you also have to say WiiU>PS4 because of games?

And when you say Wii>PS3 because of sales, shouldn't you also have to say PS4>WiiU because of sales?

Stop flopping back and forth between one category or the other to make your favorite company seem the best, stick to one or the other.

Wii is about equal, probably slightly better than PS3 in terms of games that matter to me (exclusives).

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#10 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

PS4 will win on sales and games, so why even try to argue should be the real question....

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#11  Edited By Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Cows are complete idiots who flip-flop to whatever situation suits them. During the Wii's reign in sales, cows all said "it's about the games, sales mean nothing." and now that PS4 is doing well out of the gate with no good games, sales suddenly mean everything. And with crap software like Knack scoring low, they're all "scores mean nothing, strong sales of games mean it's good." All last gen they were calling all Wii software "shovelware that only sold to soccer moms and casuals".

No matter what happens, cows have a bullshit excuse for everything. When Wii was out-pacing the competition by miles and miles, sheep didn't talk about sales in every thread.

Now the Wii U destroys PS4 with games, but cows don't care about games and pretend PS3 early sales failure (very similar situation) never happened. It's no wonder everyone agrees that cows are by and large the most annoying group of fanboys.

Avatar image for drummerdave9099
drummerdave9099

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 drummerdave9099
Member since 2010 • 4606 Posts

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@drummerdave9099 said:

Wii is about equal, probably slightly better than PS3 in terms of games that matter to me (exclusives).

It's pretty debatable, I was speaking in generalities though based on the consensus of what I've seen here. But if you only owned a PS3 or only owned a Wii last gen you definitely missed out on numerous terrific games either way.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#13 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts

Cows, cows, cows.

Avatar image for princessgomez92
PrincessGomez92

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 201

#14 PrincessGomez92
Member since 2013 • 5747 Posts

@millerlight89:

??

Trail_Mix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By Trail_Mix
Member since 2011 • 2579 Posts

Who knows. Partly the reason why I try not to take this place seriously.

Avatar image for TrappedInABox91
TrappedInABox91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 TrappedInABox91
Member since 2013 • 1483 Posts

@Bigboi500 said:

Cows are complete idiots who flip-flop to whatever situation suits them. During the Wii's reign in sales, cows all said "it's about the games, sales mean nothing." and now that PS4 is doing well out of the gate with no good games, sales suddenly mean everything. And with crap software like Knack scoring low, they're all "scores mean nothing, strong sales of games mean it's good." All last gen they were calling all Wii software "shovelware that only sold to soccer moms and casuals".

No matter what happens, cows have a bullshit excuse for everything. When Wii was out-pacing the competition by miles and miles, sheep didn't talk about sales in every thread.

Now the Wii U destroys PS4 with games, but cows don't care about games and pretend PS3 early sales failure (very similar situation) never happened. It's no wonder everyone agrees that cows are by and large the most annoying group of fanboys.

the_bi99man

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 the_bi99man
Member since 2004 • 11465 Posts

It's about whatever the hell the fanboys feel like bickering about today. You new or something?

Avatar image for GrenadeLauncher
GrenadeLauncher

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 GrenadeLauncher
Member since 2004 • 6843 Posts

Strictly speaking, it's about sales. Ignore the lems who feel the need to lie about stuff.

treedoor

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 treedoor
Member since 2004 • 7648 Posts

The longer you spend on system wars the more you'll come to learn that cows flip-flop like CRAZY.

SonySoldier-_-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20  Edited By SonySoldier-_-
Member since 2012 • 1186 Posts

Both are important but games are always opinionated and subjective while sales are facts.

sheep flaunted about their sales all of last generation with Wii's success.

Lemmings were so happy and trying to claim ownage for squeaking out 2nd place in sales with 360.

Cows have won 2 out of the last 3 console generations while Lemmings have never won one.

Find out who wins the next fanboy battle and sales war in the next exciting episode of System Wars.

hiphops_savior

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

User Lists: 2

#21 hiphops_savior
Member since 2007 • 8535 Posts

@drummerdave9099: Whatever makes for better pwnage, no matter how contrary it is.

drekula2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#22 drekula2
Member since 2012 • 3349 Posts

its about whatever pisses off fanboys more?

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Joedgabe
Member since 2006 • 5134 Posts

@mems_1224 said:

Depends on what the cows are getting owned in.

^

This.. w/o the Cows this forum would be dead. I mean who else is arguing agaisnt anyone else? nobody.. it's Cows Vs the world.. so w/e dirt you can find can be used as ownage.

UevenLiftBro

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By UevenLiftBro
Member since 2013 • 77 Posts

I'm beginning to think it's the system with the most games. If you make enough, some will be a hit by chance.

There have been systems in the past that have sold great in the beginning, even had hit games... just not enough and flopped.

trugs26

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25  Edited By trugs26
Member since 2004 • 7539 Posts

Another one to consider is profit.

Here are some categories:

- Games. "meaningful" because people like to think that they're playing superior games to people playing on other systems.

- Sales (number of systems sold): "meaningful" because it indicates how many people play the system. Inconsistency: People buying new models, e.g DS, DSi, DS XL; in which the same person could account for multiple sales. i.e making the sales in general less meaningful. The same could be said for defect systems such as RROD

- Profit (profit based on console sales). "meaningful" because it dictates how well the company does overall. This can indicate things like software support.

I don't really care for this nonsense though. It's pointless to the consumer to brag and bring others down just because they play something else.

blangenakker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 blangenakker
Member since 2006 • 3240 Posts

People will say its always about the games but in the end they'll use sales to win some stupid argument

aroxx_ab

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27  Edited By aroxx_ab
Member since 2005 • 13236 Posts

@I_can_haz said:

So how do you expect Wii owners to buy games if devs not release any(good) games in the first place?

Couth_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Couth_
Member since 2008 • 10369 Posts

It's always about games. It's just hilarious how bad the Wii U is getting slapped in sales.. It won't reach half of PS3 sales at the end of it's lifetime.. It won't even reach a third of PS3s sales...PS4 will also have Wii U beat in games in 6 months or so. Soon as DESTINY drops and first party starts rolling in

Zoso813

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29  Edited By Zoso813
Member since 2013 • 310 Posts

You people are seriously morons. It's fanboys that flip-flop, not just one group. Also, love when some fanboys from one group call out other fanboys from another group for doing the same thing they always do. This place is out of control. The reason people look at sales is because everything else is subjective, including review scores.

sailor232

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#30 sailor232
Member since 2003 • 6880 Posts

True this place would be totally dead if annoying Cows didn't exist.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#32 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38035 Posts

@princessgomez92 said:

Amen. Its a business so who ever sells the most product is the "winner" imo. But in reality, I can buy the last place machine and have the most fun with it. There is no real winner in that regard since its all subjective. The wii won last gen. The WiiU will not win this one.

Avatar image for supercowelitist
SuperCowElitist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 SuperCowElitist
Member since 2013 • 732 Posts

It's about both. Cows have both sales and games. Lemmings have nothing to lend on. According to lemmings and Microsoft, it's all about 50 hours of play on Xbone lol.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#34 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38035 Posts

@Zoso813 said:

You people are seriously morons. It's fanboys that flip-flop, not just one group. Also, love when some fanboys from one group call out other fanboys from another group for doing the same thing they always do. This place is out of control. The reason people look at sales is because everything else is subjective, including review scores.

absolutely

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 freedomfreak
Member since 2004 • 52426 Posts

You can't play sales.

Classic.

Martin_G_N

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Martin_G_N
Member since 2006 • 2124 Posts
@drummerdave9099 said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@drummerdave9099 said:

It's pretty debatable, I was speaking in generalities though based on the consensus of what I've seen here. But if you only owned a PS3 or only owned a Wii last gen you definitely missed out on numerous terrific games either way.

@Bigboi500 said:

Like Cows are the only ones who do this. Every one who have had a Playstation in they're time knows that Sony will deliver in games, maybe not right away, but during the generation they will have some of the best and most impressing titles. Now, when games are lacking in those periods, Cows will find other positive sides to brag about. Like sales. It's not they're fault they have multiple things to brag about.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

Yeah it depends how cows feel on the day, Ya know, they wake up in the morning and they're thinking 'today, sales matter'.

bezza2011

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 bezza2011
Member since 2006 • 2729 Posts

the fact remains you can't put Wii U against anything seeing as tho the Wii U has been out nearly a year, so you can't say Wii U>>>PS4 thats clutching at straws, the main thing is at the moment is this is all we have to discuss at the time being nothing better to moan about give it another year and will be having better more interesting discussions

psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By psymon100
Member since 2012 • 6835 Posts

multiplat advantage

no wait!

sales

no wait!

library volume

no wait!

library quality by gamespot only

no wait!

gpu flops

no wait!

total number of registered user accounts

no wait!

paying for online stinks

no wait!

i love to pay to play online

no wait!

you don't even notice pc graphics

no wait!

ps4 looks 5 trillion times better than the 0.66x'd powered XB1

no wait!

library quality by metacritic only. or my favourite, metacritic for one game, and gamespot for another

no wait!

user interface

all kinds of shit. they make it up as they go along.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#40  Edited By Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

@Martin_G_N said:
@Bigboi500 said:

Like Cows are the only ones who do this. Every one who have had a Playstation in they're time knows that Sony will deliver in games, maybe not right away, but during the generation they will have some of the best and most impressing titles. Now, when games are lacking in those periods, Cows will find other positive sides to brag about. Like sales. It's not they're fault they have multiple things to brag about.

Face it, just being a cow, or a sheep, or a lemming, or a hermit is just being a blind idiot. Real gamers know that every company and system offers something good and worthwhile. Of course just looking at things from one corner is always going to limit ones vision severely.

That's why we laugh at cows when they pull the antics they do, it's like watching clowns perform at the circus.

Avatar image for tastetheacidmil
tastetheacidmil

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 tastetheacidmil
Member since 2009 • 737 Posts

@Bigboi500 said:

too much truth in this post, all cows love is sales going by all the threads im seeing from cows, when they aint got the sales its all about the games, just like they did with the ps3, they are the most annoying group peroid, they are just too dumb too see it

GreySeal9

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

#42  Edited By GreySeal9
Member since 2010 • 28247 Posts

@Bigboi500 said:

Good post.

Fishsticklover

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43  Edited By Fishsticklover
Member since 2013 • 252 Posts

Poor Lems, last gen it was all about sales for them, and now suddenly sales don't matter. It was also about small minor graphical advantages in multiplatform games, and now that the PS4 has a huge graphical advantage in its games suddenly graphics don't matter! LOL
And last but certaintly not least, Lems swore by using Gamespot only when TLOU got an 8, now most of them start using Metacritic again, because time healed their butthurtness just a tiny bit.

Hypocrites.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts
@the_bi99man said:

It's about whatever the hell the fanboys feel like bickering about today.

Exactly. On the internet and in fanboy groups, sales & the amount 1/3rd party support will decide the winner of a console war.

But outside of that, the winner is the console that you prefer. High sales are important for a healthy lifespan and support, but they aren't indicative of a console's library of quality games. Look at the Sega Saturn, Gamecube and Dreamcast. Low sales, huge library of games and good 3rd party support. Now look at the Wii.

TheRealBigRich

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 TheRealBigRich
Member since 2010 • 784 Posts

@ You can tell the real big cow fanboys are the ones that even when the topic is primarily wii/wiiu vs ps3/ps4 or games vs sales they still bring up lemmings as if they were brought up in the topic

j_assassin

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 j_assassin
Member since 2012 • 1011 Posts

Lol lems, i still remember all your sales posts and threads when 360 was selling good, lems didnt even bother talking about games back then, oh how the tables have turned

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47  Edited By osan0
Member since 2004 • 17813 Posts

Both

you use whatever you can to win an argument (sales, amount of games released, quality of games, GOTY winners, the companies advertisement and public image...whatever).

you then use those same things to slate the oppsition when they dont comapare well to yours.

then you try and limit the damage when your side gets bad news. e.g. PC vs console: "Oh we dont care about hardware it's about the games". PS4/X1 vs wiiu: "HA look at that weak piece of gosa".

then sometimes you throw a curveball so stir things up like:

the xbox 1 is actually more powerful than the PS4 because the hardware is tuned and the DDR3 memory has a lower latency.

or (one from history)

the PS2 is more powerful than the first xbox due to its wide bus architecture and the emotion engine.

SW is basically about trying to get the upper hand over the opposition by whatever means necessary.

its like politics :P

ni6htmare01

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 ni6htmare01
Member since 2005 • 3984 Posts

when you win the sale, you will get more support from the developers (Unless you are WII which was so under power)

Avatar image for deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 deactivated-5b69bebd1b0b6
Member since 2009 • 6176 Posts

PS4 will fill both those roles all in due time.

Lucianu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 Lucianu
Member since 2007 • 10347 Posts
@ni6htmare01 said:

when you win the sale, you will get more support from the developers (Unless you are WII which was so under power)

But that doesn't mean that the support is going to equal quality games. The Ps2 has a massive library, but a lot of it is a ocean of obsolete sports, racing (with exceptions), shooters, games that have been surpassed countless times each year. Not to mention the multiplats that where shared with PC, that these days can be played on a tablet or toaster of a computer.