I just realized: Nintendo only dominated videogaming ONCE...

• 53 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Avatar image for TekkenMaster606
TekkenMaster606

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

User Lists: 0

#51 TekkenMaster606
Member since 2006 • 10980 Posts
1989-1990 were two years that really defined 'gaming' for me. Good times...
subrosian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#52 subrosian
Member since 2005 • 14232 Posts
[QUOTE="shsonline"]And even then, it was because it didn't have any true competition. I just realized that. The original nes was it. And honestly it didn't have any true competition, and don't say the sega master system. And before you go and say snes, think again. The genesis/snes race was the closest race in gaming history and only near the end did the snes win, so it didn't "dominate" the genesis by any means.

I owned a Genesis and not an SNES - but in retrospect the SNES won - and not just in terms of sales. At the time, the Genesis was a fun system, but most of its games have not aged well, it has far fewer classics, and it had too many stupid gimmicks. Sega CD? 32x? If Genesis was winning, what was that about? And the Gamegear? The Nomad? The precursors to the "three hours of battery life is enough" PSP design were terrible. Sega's track record in the console market is simply atrocious - two good systems (Gensis and Dreamcast), plenty of bad "add-ons" and systems - SegaCD, 32x, Saturn, unreleased Neptune, Master System... Gamegear, Nomad... I was a huge Sega fan, but they get *far* too much glorification simply because they're gone. Their best contributions to gaming have been a few scattered games, some arcade ports, and the Dreamcast as the forerunner for the Xbox 360. So to pretend Nintendo was "neck-and-neck" with the Genesis is the SNES era is incorrect. Look at the release dates - the Genesis was fighting the NES, and struggled to deal with the SNES.

I loved Sega when I was a kid - and games like Skies of Arcadia and Phantasy Star Online spent a great deal of time in my Gamecube - but as I've matured as a gamer my patience with the generally mediocre quality of their games / systems as run out. If I were forced back in time, to being a little kid, trapped with all my knowledge of what's to come, I'd be gaming on an SNES.
Lazy_Boy88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#53 Lazy_Boy88
Member since 2003 • 7418 Posts
Funny thing is the entire time Sega was underneath Nintendo they put out far more innovation in both hardware and games......
Avatar image for Runningflame570
Runningflame570

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#54 Runningflame570
Member since 2005 • 10388 Posts
Funny thing is the entire time Sega was underneath Nintendo they put out far more innovation in both hardware and games......
Lazy_Boy88
Yes, people seem to believe that Nintendo has always been the most innovative, but that is far from the truth, Sega used to be more innovative than Nintendo.