I have a question for those who think the Wii is a fad...

This topic is locked from further discussion.

drunkmonkey23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 drunkmonkey23
Member since 2007 • 25 Posts

Sales have been consistently high since its release. How long would that have to continue before you are convinced it is not a fad? When do you think sales will take a drastic plunge, proving that people have lost interest in this so-called 'fad'?

SoUtHhOlLiZ

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 SoUtHhOlLiZ
Member since 2005 • 681 Posts
gaming is a fad. a very long fad.
big_boy_down23

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 big_boy_down23
Member since 2006 • 6924 Posts

Sales have been consistently high since its release. How long would that have to continue before you are convinced it is not a fad? When do you think sales will take a drastic plunge, proving that people have lost interest in this so-called 'fad'?

drunkmonkey23
agreed but you only have 2 posts, not many people will listen to you :P
tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#4 tomarlyn
Member since 2005 • 20148 Posts

drunkmonkey23

I don't actually think the Wii is a ''fad'' (I just think it stinks), but for how long and how well did Tamagotchi sell? I think it was a good while and its still considered a legendary fad.

haziqonfire

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 22

#5 haziqonfire
Member since 2005 • 36390 Posts
Because fanboys will say anything to annoy other fanboys -- the Wii is not a fad, if it is, the PS3 and 360 might as well be a fad too.
Avatar image for Smoke_ManMuscle
Smoke_ManMuscle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Smoke_ManMuscle
Member since 2007 • 651 Posts
They'll say it's a fad until they buy one.
crisrizo18

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 crisrizo18
Member since 2003 • 132 Posts
According to fanboys, 10 years.
wavebrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 wavebrid
Member since 2006 • 8204 Posts

gaming is a fad. a very long fad.SoUtHhOlLiZ

ill like to see you prove that....

whoisryanmack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 whoisryanmack
Member since 2006 • 7675 Posts
A fad isn't entirely defined by how long it lasts. What matters more in the definition is that people buy it more than would be justified if it were not a fad. In other words, they buy it because its "the thing to have". That could last for years. It will no longer be a fad when it proves that it deserves the sales it's getting. You can't tell me that little piddly collection of games available now does that.
tomarlyn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#10 tomarlyn
Member since 2005 • 20148 Posts

A fad isn't entirely defined by how long it lasts. What matters more in the definition is that people buy it more than would be justified if it were not a fad. In other words, they buy it because its "the thing to have". That could last for years. It will no longer be a fad when it proves that it deserves the sales it's getting. You can't tell me that little piddly collection of games available now does that. whoisryanmack
Oh indeed, right now its just a trendy must have gizmo. I wonder how well it would sell without Wii Sports? *Steps inside dimensional time machine*

Lyude77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Lyude77
Member since 2006 • 371 Posts

A fad isn't entirely defined by how long it lasts. What matters more in the definition is that people buy it more than would be justified if it were not a fad. In other words, they buy it because its "the thing to have". That could last for years. It will no longer be a fad when it proves that it deserves the sales it's getting. You can't tell me that little piddly collection of games available now does that. whoisryanmack
That means that it will never happen, because some people won't ever say the games are good enough because of their bias against Nintendo. I might as well call thePS3 a fad now...

It's hard to provide proof when, like in gaming, everything is subjective. Maybe if we were talking about something objective I'd agree with you, but until everyone gives the same reviews, you can't really prove one is worth what it's selling.

manningbowl135

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 manningbowl135
Member since 2006 • 7457 Posts
When talking about why Wii gets almost no 3rd party multiplats, Wii fans always say, "wait, the console is out only for 8 months. The games are coming." When that excuse is not valid anymore, the fad arguement will also be invalid.
whoisryanmack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 whoisryanmack

[QUOTE="whoisryanmack"]A fad isn't entirely defined by how long it lasts. What matters more in the definition is that people buy it more than would be justified if it were not a fad. In other words, they buy it because its "the thing to have". That could last for years. It will no longer be a fad when it proves that it deserves the sales it's getting. You can't tell me that little piddly collection of games available now does that. Lyude77

That means that it will never happen, because some people won't ever say the games are good enough because of their bias against Nintendo. I might as well call thePS3 a fad now...

It's hard to provide proof when, in gaming, everything is an opinion. Maybe if we were talking about something objective I'd agree with you...

So how would you define when Wii is no longer a fad? I'm not saying that Wii will ever be "proven" not a fad, but what I wrote there is the only way possible. It's the definition of a fad, and then Wii becoming the opposite of that.

PS3 is not a fad, mostly because it's not selling disproportionately to what it offers.

Lyude77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Lyude77
Member since 2006 • 371 Posts
[QUOTE="Lyude77"]

[QUOTE="whoisryanmack"]A fad isn't entirely defined by how long it lasts. What matters more in the definition is that people buy it more than would be justified if it were not a fad. In other words, they buy it because its "the thing to have". That could last for years. It will no longer be a fad when it proves that it deserves the sales it's getting. You can't tell me that little piddly collection of games available now does that. whoisryanmack

It's hard to provide proof when, in gaming, everything is an opinion. Maybe if we were talking about something objective I'd agree with you...

So how would you define when Wii is no longer a fad? I'm not saying that Wii will ever be "proven" not a fad, but what I wrote there is the only way possible. It's the definition of a fad, and then Wii becoming the opposite of that.

PS3 is not a fad, mostly because it's not selling disproportionately to what it offers.

Never mind, I just realized a major flaw in what I was saying, sorry. XD

If the Wii stops selling so well, it will cease being a fad (at least at that time).

Oh, and I think people will call it a fad forever, or at least say it had been a fad if it stops selling well. Personally, I think mid-next year the games would justify the price (I can't say the sales, as I don't know what they'll be), but I'm sure there are plenty of people out there that want a lot of shooters and traditional RPGs, and I don't really see them thinking like me.

whoisryanmack

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 whoisryanmack

Oh, and I think people will call it a fad forever, or at least say it had been a fad if it stops selling well. Personally, I think mid-next year the games would justify the price (I can't say the sales, as I don't know what they'll be), but I'm sure there are plenty of people out there that want a lot of shooters and traditional RPGs, and I don't really see them thinking like me.Lyude77

that's probably true.

l-_-l

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 l-_-l
Member since 2003 • 6718 Posts

drunkmonkey23

Most "fads" do sell well at first, so whats the point of this thread?

Thread FAILS!!!!!! *Moves to next thread in hopes it will actually be worth reading*

Kekira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Kekira
Member since 2007 • 2128 Posts
Fads aren't based on how long an items sells but how well it sells and WHY. Most people buy a Wii because it's the thing to have right now and it's popular. I say it's a fad because there are no games on it that justify the purpose. When the highest selling game or the most talked about game is something like WiiSports or WiiFit something is wrong.
Tylendal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#18 Tylendal
Member since 2006 • 14681 Posts
[QUOTE="drunkmonkey23"]

big_boy_down23
agreed but you only have 2 posts, not many people will listen to you :P

Smartest second post I've ever seen.
Meu2k7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Meu2k7
Member since 2007 • 11809 Posts

Fads aren't based on how long an items sells but how well it sells and WHY. Most people buy a Wii because it's the thing to have right now and it's popular. I say it's a fad because there are no games on it that justify the purpose. When the highest selling game or the most talked about game is something like WiiSports or WiiFit something is wrong.Kekira

Exactly, all it is at the end of the day is an outdated system , with a new controller ... its getting so much hype because its like playing with a normal Tele Remote ... which in the eyes of casuals and non-gamers ... isnt as nerdy as a controller for some reason :roll:

wavebrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 wavebrid

Fads aren't based on how long an items sells but how well it sells and WHY. Most people buy a Wii because it's the thing to have right now and it's popular. I say it's a fad because there are no games on it that justify the purpose. When the highest selling game or the most talked about game is something like WiiSports or WiiFit something is wrong.Kekira

first of it selling beacuse of games, vc list, controller second it has games they might be twords your taste but saying it has no games to call it fad is really a stupid way point out notyhing :|

really i been hearing more on mp3, and ssbb :|

Tylendal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#21 Tylendal
Member since 2006 • 14681 Posts

That's simply a matter of opinion. I could say the same about the PS3.

wavebrid

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 wavebrid

[QUOTE="Kekira"]Fads aren't based on how long an items sells but how well it sells and WHY. Most people buy a Wii because it's the thing to have right now and it's popular. I say it's a fad because there are no games on it that justify the purpose. When the highest selling game or the most talked about game is something like WiiSports or WiiFit something is wrong.Meu2k7

Exactly, all it is at the end of the day is an outdated system , with a new controller ... its getting so much hype because its like playing with a normal Tele Remote ... which in the eyes of casuals and non-gamers ... isnt as nerdy as a controller for some reason :roll:

so is 360/ps3 now as well :|

Meu2k7

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Meu2k7
Member since 2007 • 11809 Posts
[QUOTE="Meu2k7"]

[QUOTE="Kekira"]Fads aren't based on how long an items sells but how well it sells and WHY. Most people buy a Wii because it's the thing to have right now and it's popular. I say it's a fad because there are no games on it that justify the purpose. When the highest selling game or the most talked about game is something like WiiSports or WiiFit something is wrong.wavebrid

so is 360/ps3 now as well :|

Outdated you mean? Not by the Mainstream console standard, Wii is not even pushing past the xbox 1.

Lazy_Boy88

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Lazy_Boy88
Member since 2003 • 7418 Posts

The Wii's massive hype and popularity is definitely a fad. It will still continue for a long time because Nintendo has a lot of room to drop prices (cause they're ripping us off so bad right now). The Wii will probably go 1-2 more years before it starts fading to obscurity like Gamecube did.

No one is saying there's going to be this one day when the Wii just stops selling. Fads take a year or 2 to run their course before no one cares anymore. Probably next year Wii will be in good supply, have no more media stories hyping it, and everyone but Nintendo fans will just stop caring.

It'll attain 50-100 million sales overall but it doesn't have what it takes to dominate the industry or have long term appeal.

Kekira

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Kekira
Member since 2007 • 2128 Posts

[QUOTE="Kekira"]Fads aren't based on how long an items sells but how well it sells and WHY. Most people buy a Wii because it's the thing to have right now and it's popular. I say it's a fad because there are no games on it that justify the purpose. When the highest selling game or the most talked about game is something like WiiSports or WiiFit something is wrong.Tylendal

That's simply a matter of opinion. I could say the same about the PS3.

That's why I said I, I don't speak for everyone when it comes to what games justify the purpose, that part was my opinion.