I feel like there's a lot of FPS this gen

This topic is locked from further discussion.

EZs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 EZs
Member since 2005 • 1573 Posts

What do you think? on the other hand last gen I feel like there's a lot RPG.

I think this is because the technology in consoles this gen have the ability to produce a pretty good FPS graphic compared to last gen.

Zaibach

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#2 Zaibach
Member since 2007 • 13466 Posts

what consoles do you own?

EZs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 EZs
Member since 2005 • 1573 Posts

Zaibach

All 3 this gen, but mainly 360, I got more games on that.

DJ_Headshot

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#4 DJ_Headshot
Member since 2010 • 6427 Posts
yeah this gen has definitely been saturated with fps buts its my favorite genre so its good for me :D
Avatar image for deactivated-5b19214ec908b
deactivated-5b19214ec908b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5 deactivated-5b19214ec908b
Member since 2007 • 25072 Posts

They should make more FPS's like Deus Ex, mirrors edge, and portal (First person shooters that stray away from the traditional FPS genre)

mrmusicman247

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 mrmusicman247
Member since 2008 • 17601 Posts

They should make more FPS's like Deus Ex, mirrors edge, and portal (First person shooters that stray away from the traditional FPS genre)

toast_burner
Speaking of which, where the heck is Mirror's Edge 2?
dgsag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 93

#7 dgsag
Member since 2005 • 6760 Posts
Not really. I feel that there's a healthy amount of titles in each genre.
Mystic-G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Mystic-G
Member since 2006 • 6462 Posts

Yea, I think the FPS genre will die down sometime in the future. When you got like 3-4 big FPS games a year it all starts blending together. And there's gonna be even more now.

I'm hoping action/adventure makes a big comeback. It's just these big publishers are putting all their cards in one deck (genre) at this point in time. Realism is dead sadly, although I'm sure at one point in time one realistic fps will come around and act like realism has never been done before and everyone will believe it.

DraugenCP

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 69

#9 DraugenCP
Member since 2006 • 8486 Posts

I think this is because the technology in consoles this gen have the ability to produce a pretty good FPS graphic compared to last gen.

EZs

Yeah, there seems to be a lot of it, but I'd say it has more to do with a certain fashion than with technology. The success of games such as Halo and Call of Duty inspires developers to try and do the same (which fails more often than not, by the way), just like every developer tried to benefit of the success of Super Mario 64 and, to a lesser extent, Crash Bandicoot last gen by making all kinds of platformers.

I'm normally not very fond of FPS games (I even got bored with Halo at one point), but I've seen a few good ones this gen.

CrAppyF33ling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 CrAppyF33ling
Member since 2009 • 1665 Posts

[QUOTE="toast_burner"]

mrmusicman247

Speaking of which, where the heck is Mirror's Edge 2?

I dunno, I think DICE got their handsful with Medal of Honor and Battlefield: Nam?

dgsag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 dgsag

I don't agree with the OP. Just look at the past few months. How many FPS games were released? Four, five? The only notable ones that I can remember are MAG, Aliens vs Predator, Battlefield: Bad Company 2, and Metro 2033.

On the other hand, 2010 has already seen the release of Bayonetta, Mass Effect 2, Napoleon: Total War, Heavy Rain, Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War II: Chaos Rising, Supreme Commander 2, Command and Conquer 4: Tiberium Twilight, Dragon Age Origins: Awakening, Pokemon HeartGold and SoulSilver, Final Fantasy XIII, God of War III, Just Cause 2, Splinter Cell: Conviction, and more.

OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts

MW 1 & 2 sold about 10 mil apiece on the 360. Do you blame companies for releasing FPS's on a constant basis? :?

I do believe that we have an abundance of RPG's this gen (more so for the 360).

heretrix

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#13 heretrix
Member since 2004 • 37881 Posts

People have tunnel vision. There probably has never been the sheer amount of variety of game types available to gamers, EVER. What happens is people tend ot focus on the popular stuff, either to complain about it's existance or to say that it's the best without trying anything else.

We have: the PC: Steam, the PS3: PSN, The 360: XBL, the Wii: Wiiware. Then theres the DS and the PSP and Iphone. If you can't find other things to play with all those platforms available you are doing something wrong.

You are right though, there are a lot of FPSs this gen..First of all it has gotten easier to make a good FPS on the consoles so people took advantage of that..Also, FPS's are the popular genre now, so their exposure is higher than other genres, but because of that people tend to ignore the other stuff not realizing that there are plenty of other things to play.

Mystic-G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Mystic-G

I don't agree with the OP. Just look at the past few months. How many FPS games were released? Four, five? The only notable ones that I can remember are MAG, Aliens vs Predator, Battlefield: Bad Company 2, and Metro 2033.

On the other hand, 2010 has already seen the release of Bayonetta, Mass Effect 2, Napoleon: Total War, Heavy Rain, Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War II: Chaos Rising, Supreme Commander 2, Dragon Age Origins: Awakening, Pokemon HeartGold and SoulSilver, Final Fantasy XIII, God of War III, Splinter Cell: Conviction, and more.

dgsag

And to that I say... 2010 - MAG, Metro 2033, Bad Company 2, Crysis 2, Medal of Honor, RAGE, Halo Reach, Call of Duty.

And that doesn't even include Tactical Intervention (spiritual sequel to Counter Strike) or Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead (standalone expansion) or the many other third-person shooters coming out. (still pew pew)

dgsag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 dgsag

[QUOTE="dgsag"]

On the other hand, 2010 has already seen the release of Bayonetta, Mass Effect 2, Napoleon: Total War, Heavy Rain, Warhammer 40K: Dawn of War II: Chaos Rising, Supreme Commander 2, Dragon Age Origins: Awakening, Pokemon HeartGold and SoulSilver, Final Fantasy XIII, God of War III, Splinter Cell: Conviction, and more.

Mystic-G

And to that I say... 2010 - MAG, Metro 2033, Bad Company 2, Crysis 2, Medal of Honor, RAGE, Halo Reach, Call of Duty.

And that doesn't even include Tactical Intervention (spiritual sequel to Counter Strike) or Arma 2: Operation Arrowhead (standalone expansion) or the many other third-person shooters coming out. (still pew pew)

Yes, lets put everything with guns under the genre of FPS. How narrow-minded can one be? :roll:

You listed ten FPS games for this entire year. I've already listed fifteen non-FPS games (in my edited post) from the past four months.

dakan45

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#16 dakan45
Member since 2009 • 18819 Posts
Actually this gen has the most third person shooters.
Avatar image for bobbleheadrogue
bobbleheadrogue

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#17 bobbleheadrogue
Member since 2009 • 2203 Posts
[QUOTE="EZs"]

[QUOTE="Zaibach"]

All 3 this gen, but mainly 360, I got more games on that.

the xbox 360 does tend to have more FPSs than other consoles :P
Khadaj32

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#18 Khadaj32
Member since 2009 • 3157 Posts

EZs

Not really news, dude. It's pretty much common knowledge that FPS games are being churned out pretty rapidly. Good thing most of 'em are good.

Mystic-G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Mystic-G

[QUOTE="Mystic-G"]

[QUOTE="dgsag"]

dgsag

Yes, lets put everything with guns under the genre of FPS. How narrow-minded can one be? :roll:

You listed ten FPS games for this entire year. I've already listed eleven non-FPS games from the past four months.

List ten notable games in the same genre this year then.

PapaJuliio17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 PapaJuliio17
Member since 2009 • 112 Posts

What I suspect has been more of a catalyst for this phenomenon (if it actually exists) than superior technology is the increased popularity of online multiplayer, which as I understand it, wasn't nearly as big in the last generation (halo 2 notwithstanding). I wouldnt be at all surprised if developers put more of an emphasis on multiplayer than campaigns.

I play shooters online a little (they certainly aren't my favourite genre, action/adventure or jrpgs are, ie. my two favourite franchises are Zelda and Final Fantasy), but I do get nostalgic for the old days whre multiplayer was split screen, with bots and the like. I remember playing james bond games with friends and my brother for ages like this :P

Just out of interest, how long as aiming down the sights been part of shooters? COD was the first series I played with this feature, though i've never been a gaming fanatic, and played nothing between 2005-2009.

dgsag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 dgsag
[QUOTE="dgsag"]

[QUOTE="Mystic-G"] And to that I say... 2010 - MAG, Metro 2033, Bad Company 2, Crysis 2, Medal of Honor, RAGE, Halo Reach, Call of Duty.

Mystic-G

You listed ten FPS games for this entire year. I've already listed eleven non-FPS games from the past four months.

List eleven notable games in the same genre this year that equals up to 10.

Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age Origins: Awakening, Final Fantasy XIII, Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver, Alpha Protocol, Fallout: New Vegas, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Dragon Quest IX, Two Worlds II, Arcania: A Gothic Tale, etc. I haven't even started listing the MMOs. :) I could probably do the same with the RTS and action-adventure genre.
PapaJuliio17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 PapaJuliio17
Member since 2009 • 112 Posts

[QUOTE="Mystic-G"]

[QUOTE="dgsag"]

dgsag

You listed ten FPS games for this entire year. I've already listed fifteen non-FPS games (in my edited post) from the past four months.

But games aren't divided into fps' and non-fps.

I'm not arguing with you, just a quick cheeky comment

Mystic-G

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Mystic-G

[QUOTE="Mystic-G"][QUOTE="dgsag"]

dgsag

List eleven notable games in the same genre this year that equals up to 10.

Mass Effect 2, Dragon Age Origins: Awakening, Final Fantasy XIII, Pokemon HeartGold/SoulSilver, Alpha Protocol, Fallout: New Vegas, Final Fantasy Versus XIII, Dragon Quest IX, Two Worlds II, Arcania: A Gothic Tale, etc. I haven't even started listing the MMOs. :) I could probably do the same with the RTS and action-adventure genre.

DA:O is a expansion pack, not considered a game. And yes standalone expansions are different as they don't require buying the previous installment. That's like me saying I bought 3 games instead of saying I bought WoW and the expansions. I'll let Pokemon slide because it does sell (somehow) still. FFXIII Versus doesn't even have a set release date for 2010 and the way they discussed it, it doesn't sound like it'll even make it this year. I never heard of Two Worlds II and Arcania but ok... I thought we were discussing platforms and not handhelds.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#25 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

there is :s Does not make it easier that alot of other genres have adopted the first person view, which may make people think that there are more fps games then there really is.

But lets be honest, Fps games seems to be fairly easy to make, and they sell alot, so I think ti is fairly logical.

dgsag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 dgsag

[QUOTE="dgsag"][QUOTE="Mystic-G"] List eleven notable games in the same genre this year that equals up to 10. Mystic-G

DA:O is a expansion pack, not considered a game. And yes standalone expansions are different as they don't require buying the previous installment. That's like me saying I bought 3 games instead of saying I bought WoW and the expansions. I'll let Pokemon slide because it does sell (somehow) still. FFXIII Versus doesn't even have a set release date for 2010 and the way they discussed it, it doesn't sound like it'll even make it this year. I never heard of Two Worlds II and Arcania but ok... I thought we were discussing platforms and not handhelds.

Does Rage have a set 2010 release date? :roll:

Indie_Hitman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Indie_Hitman
Member since 2008 • 2457 Posts
I want Action Adventure/ Platformer! Its been so long since Ive played a decent adventure game where you guns are non-existent. Infamous was the last one of note, DS isnt out yet, LBP, Dead Rising. That's three in 3 or 4 years. Mass Effect was great - and I love Bioware games - but my god was it shooter heavy. I want to play as a little purple dragon who uses fire to defeat his enemies, not bullets! I havn't played portal though - I shall give that one a go.
CrAppyF33ling

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 CrAppyF33ling
Member since 2009 • 1665 Posts

I want Action Adventure/ Platformer! Its been so long since Ive played a decent adventure game where you guns are non-existent. Infamous was the last one of note, DS isnt out yet, LBP, Dead Rising. That's three in 3 or 4 years. Mass Effect was great - and I love Bioware games - but my god was it shooter heavy. I want to play as a little purple dragon who uses fire to defeat his enemies, not bullets! I havn't played portal though - I shall give that one a go.Indie_Hitman

did you try Assassin's Creed?

2mrw

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#29 2mrw
Member since 2008 • 6205 Posts

you feel??!!!!!!!