I don't want to sound depressed but its truly the case

This topic is locked from further discussion.

shairoo11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

User Lists: 0

#1 shairoo11
Member since 2007 • 196 Posts

The thing is that, it may sound like a weird post but I was wondering, how many gamers here go to college/university and still have game everyday (or whatever routine they have)? I'm asking this is that now that the summer is here and I'm excited because its more game time but lets face it, 2 months is soo short and then with college and university, you barely have time to play.

with the next-gen consoles and awesome new games, I feel pretty depressed of only being to be able to play once a week or even only at holidays because of school and priortities.

I wish I was a kid again :)

Again, not to sound depressing and all but what do you guys feel? Anything to cheer up?

thanks,

Ragnarok1051

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#2 Ragnarok1051
Member since 2007 • 20238 Posts

You should find a woman.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#3 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61524 Posts

I rarely find time to game anymore. Wish I could. 

Avatar image for princeofshapeir
princeofshapeir

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#4 princeofshapeir
Member since 2006 • 16652 Posts
I guess it depends on your major but I've had more time for vidya than I ever did in high school
hexashadow13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 hexashadow13
Member since 2010 • 5157 Posts

Thanks TC. Now I'm depressed too.

****ing electric engineering eating up time like it's ****ing pac-man.

lx_theo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 lx_theo
Member since 2010 • 6211 Posts

My university's summer break is about 4 months. 

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts
College is a unique time in your life, one that offers a lot of experiences in a rather confined space and time. I barely watched TV in college, let alone much gaming. But gaming will still be around when you have free time laying around again. Just don't sweat it..
psymon100

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 psymon100
Member since 2012 • 6835 Posts

I'm happy. 

I_Done_Graduated.jpg

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#9 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23719 Posts

Dont feel depressed, its college.  You're supposed to be busting your ass and preparing yourself for a comfortable future.  A future where you do make the money and do have the time to enjoy gaming instead of just struggling to make ends meet.

Now, ready to be more depressed?  The older you get, the more responsibilities you will have.  Gaming will become secondary in your life.  More of a rare treat than an all out hobby.  

College is just the beginning for you.  Then you have to establish your career.  Then comes family.  Enjoy!

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22859 Posts

Wait till you have a couple kids, a wife, a mortgage a 40 hour a week job... oh and a second and third job just so you can have a little bit of spending money all while trying to keep a tidy house inside and out... game time becomes more precious than gold friend.  I played TLOU for like two hours yesterday and felt insanely blessed. 

oh and side note... I literally only gamed in college with the kids across the hall every once in a while... it was PS1/N64 era... I pretty much skipped the entire generation.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23719 Posts

Wait till you have a couple kids, a mortgage a 40 hour a week job... oh and a second and third job just so you can have a little bit of spending money all while trying to keep a tidy house inside and out... game time becomes more precious than gold friend.  I played TLOU for like two hours yesterday and felt insanely blessed. 

TheEroica

Yep.  The days of getting to binge out on an rpg for two weeks after its release are long gone.  Even my gaming tastes have changed because of it.  If I cant get a lot of enjoyment out of an hour or two of play at a time then the game probably isn't for me.

shairoo11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 shairoo11

Thanks TC. Now I'm depressed too.

****ing electric engineering eating up time like it's ****ing pac-man.

hexashadow13

Ahha sorry man, but i've been feeling like this for a month now and I wanted some input. I love my major and am social but i'm still a guy/kid, just no more time to game around.

shairoo11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 shairoo11

College is a unique time in your life, one that offers a lot of experiences in a rather confined space and time. I barely watched TV in college, let alone much gaming. But gaming will still be around when you have free time laying around again. Just don't sweat it..santoron

Yea you're right. just gotta figure it out.

br0kenrabbit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14 br0kenrabbit
Member since 2004 • 17878 Posts

U gonna get busted for posting the same thread in two different forums.

BPoole96

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#15 BPoole96
Member since 2008 • 22818 Posts

Idk how I manage it but even while classes are going on, working 20-25 hours a week, and having a gf, I still manage 20 hours a week for games and have just under a 4.0 gpa.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 28

#16 deactivated-5d6e91f5c147a
Member since 2008 • 26108 Posts
You'll realize there's much more than just gaming.
shairoo11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 shairoo11

Wait till you have a couple kids, a wife, a mortgage a 40 hour a week job... oh and a second and third job just so you can have a little bit of spending money all while trying to keep a tidy house inside and out... game time becomes more precious than gold friend.  I played TLOU for like two hours yesterday and felt insanely blessed. 

oh and side note... I literally only gamed in college with the kids across the hall every once in a while... it was PS1/N64 era... I pretty much skipped the entire generation.

TheEroica

Wow, that was actually pretty depressing.

bbkkristian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#18 bbkkristian
Member since 2008 • 14971 Posts
I've been finding my time while balancing a computer systems major. Sure it's no where near what I used to do in high school; but it hasn't affected my grades, which means I can still continue my routine when I get back to school in September.
kuraimen

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 kuraimen
Member since 2010 • 28078 Posts

TheEroica

Z6wLcbr.png

LOL marriage

whiskeystrike

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 whiskeystrike
Member since 2011 • 12213 Posts

Video games will always be there. If you don't have time for them then don't try to force it. It happens to just about everyone.

In all honestly I tend to enjoy video games more now that I'm pressed for time rather than being able to put in hours a day several days a week. Something about moderation yeah? Some things in life will only be around here and there, so take advantage of those things when you can. Video games will still be there for you decades later.

Edit: Also, like Conanthestoner my tastes have forcibly changed. Most RPGs are a no go. All the sub 15 hour games people bitch and gripe about? Perfect for me. Not a completionist either. Finishing games feels like an accomplishment.

tagyhag

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 tagyhag
Member since 2007 • 15874 Posts
I graduated this month and while I was still in school I had enough time to play, mostly because I never study. But yeah, once you have a job, good look putting time into gaming AND a social life. I don't know how people with all systems do it. (They either sacrifice the social life, or barely play anything at all, or have to compromise with both)
verbalfilth

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 verbalfilth
Member since 2006 • 5043 Posts

Funny thing...

when I was in college, I had all the time in the world to play my games but barely enough money to buy any game I wanted.

Since I graduated and held a steady job, I barely have much time anymore and can buy any game I want at any time.

.....life, it sure has a way of sticking it to you.

Avatar image for CallOfDutyRulez
CallOfDutyRulez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 CallOfDutyRulez
Member since 2013 • 1602 Posts

The thing is that, it may sound like a weird post but I was wondering, how many gamers here go to college/university and still have game everyday (or whatever routine they have)? I'm asking this is that now that the summer is here and I'm excited because its more game time but lets face it, 2 months is soo short and then with college and university, you barely have time to play.

with the next-gen consoles and awesome new games, I feel pretty depressed of only being to be able to play once a week or even only at holidays because of school and priortities.

I wish I was a kid again :)

Again, not to sound depressing and all but what do you guys feel? Anything to cheer up?

thanks,

shairoo11

I'm double majoring in math (Arguably the hardest major in college) and economics, and I have a shitton of free time.

Math is all just rigorous logical reasoning. People who have a high IQ will have little trouble with it. Economics is just ridiculously easy. It's a great GPA-boosting major.

shairoo11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 shairoo11

U gonna get busted for posting the same thread in two different forums.

br0kenrabbit

I had realised it was the wrong place to post it.

shairoo11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 shairoo11

Funny thing...

when I was in college, I had all the time in the world to play my games but barely enough money to buy any game I wanted.

Since I graduated and held a steady job, I barely have much time anymore and can buy any game I want at any time.

.....life, it sure has a way of sticking it to you.

verbalfilth

Haha, you said it man, extactly what I'm feeling, except i still have a couple of years to go before I graduate. I guess its just life.

Ghost_702

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#26 Ghost_702
Member since 2006 • 7405 Posts
I've got one semester of college left and I haven't ever had problems with gaming. I'm no engineering major or anything (business) so perhaps it's different. It's only 16 weeks of school. If you go two semesters a year, you're only in school for about 60% of the year. Even so it's not that bad. I find classes cover about 1-2 chapters per week. Just read the book, know all you need, go to class when necessary (you decide) and voila.
shairoo11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 shairoo11

I graduated this month and while I was still in school I had enough time to play, mostly because I never study. But yeah, once you have a job, good look putting time into gaming AND a social life. I don't know how people with all systems do it. (They either sacrifice the social life, or barely play anything at all, or have to compromise with both)tagyhag

Some people have all the consoles and still manage. I guess you're right, you gotta sacrifice something to want something.

AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

Got quite a blog post here, but that's truly the case ;)