I dont understand the crying about Fallout 4's graphics

This topic is locked from further discussion.

StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 StrongDeadlift
Member since 2010 • 6073 Posts

And Im just as jaded of a gamer as anyone else here, and just as much of a graphics whore. Does anyone else here not understand the crying about how "bad" Fallout 4's graphics are? I thought the game looked amazing, better than I expected it to look.

We all know that graphics are not what we play Fallout for anyways, but I feel that the complaining about its graphics comes from a warped perspective from some gamers, about how powerful (read: weak) these consoles actually are, and what they actually expected the game to look like. I've went on record saying this here, and I'll say it again:

These consoles are using 2011 technology. NOTHING we will EVER see on these consoles, is something that couldn't have been done in 2011. Not Uncharted, not Gears 4, not Halo, not TLOU2, not Ryse, not The Order. These consoles are using DUMBED DOWN versions of already mid-range LAPTOP GPUs from 2011. Tech that's been on the market for 4 years. Some naive people who don't understand this (alot of them are also Cows, btw), have a romanticized idea of what these consoles are capable of, and their own ignorance misplaced hype was their undoing. There isnt a single game I've even played on my own PS4 (out of 52 games, 20 retail) that I would know that I wasnt playing a last gen console outside of resolution and framerate.

Rather than talking about the good things about Fallout 4's graphics, like the fact that its engine uses physically based rendering/materials now (which look amazing), the discussion is about how "bad"(lol) the game looks (it doesnt) compared to what they imagined it to look like.

What I want you to leave here with System Wars (well, most of you understand this)(except Cows), is to tempur your expectations (Except for Cows though. I enjoy reading your stupidity :). See gpuking, AM-Gamer, etc)

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 44943 Posts

Not fanboy wars

freedomfreak

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3  Edited By freedomfreak  Online
Member since 2004 • 52420 Posts

They're alright.

StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 StrongDeadlift

@SolidGame_basic said:

Not fanboy wars

??? This thread is about Fallout 4?

drinkerofjuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#5 drinkerofjuice
Member since 2007 • 4567 Posts

It's a Bethesda game, so you gotta properly scale your expectations when it comes to something like this. With that said, I think it looks fine visually.

AzatiS

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#6 AzatiS
Member since 2004 • 14969 Posts

@StrongDeadlift: I disliked Fallout 4 for its graphics ... like i did with Fallout 3. Yeah , i know , such games are not all about graphics etc etc ... I agree but im being honest here ... I think games graphics or graphical approach if you want is not for me ... a real turn off.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#7  Edited By Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

@StrongDeadlift said:

...is to tempur your expectations (Except for Cows though. I enjoy reading your stupidity :)

Yikes

Anyways, the RAM upgrade alone is enough to differentiate these consoles from old ones, not to mention 2011 laptop GPUs aren't anywhere near the PS4 and Xbox One's. You're thinking about CPUs, so good research there (unless you're misinformed enough to think a 680m could run The Witcher 3 at 1080p30 at medium to high settings).

Edit: you said midrange laptop graphics card from 2011, but I'll throw you a bone with the 680m, the best card in its range from that year.

As for your estimate of this stuff not being able to be done in 2011, who cares? The Order looks better than anything from that year. So does Uncharted. I'm playing Crysis 2 right now on Ultra, and no way does it look huge amounts better than Uncharted or The Order. The only huge difference is 60 FPS.

Pity for you that you don't see the difference between last gen consoles and these ones for the sake of an internet thread. There's a huge difference graphically when boosting your games to 1080p with better AA, being able to use better light reflection techniques, having better textures, and more environmental effects while running at better frame rates. Call it gen seven in a tux, it's still loads better than the PS3 and 360 were able to manage by 2013.

As for Fallout 4, it doesn't meet the texture work, animation quality, or sheer graphical fidelity that's present elsewhere in gaming today. Not a terribly ugly game, but the color palette it has isn't doing it any favors.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#8 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11120 Posts

if Uncharted 4 / Gears 4 are 2011 graphics, then Fallout 4 is 2007 graphics. They're literally 4 years behind other games announced.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9  Edited By TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22545 Posts

Game world looks filled with detail. A nice improvement over fallout 3 and new Vegas for sure... I pretty much write off the folks who complain about 200 hour games graphics, as if that's the reason people are buying the game.

Bring on fallout 4...

Puckhog04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 Puckhog04
Member since 2003 • 22814 Posts

People today, especially newer gamers, are spoiled little brats today when it comes to graphics. That's your true answer. People don't remember what we came from and appreciate these games.

StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 StrongDeadlift

@Blabadon said:
@StrongDeadlift said:

...is to tempur your expectations (Except for Cows though. I enjoy reading your stupidity :)

Yikes

Anyways, the RAM upgrade alone is enough to differentiate these consoles from old ones, not to mention 2011 laptop GPUs aren't anywhere near the PS4 and Xbox One's. You're thinking about CPUs, so good research there (unless you're misinformed enough to think a 680m could run The Witcher 3 at 1080p30 at medium to high settings).

As for your estimate of this stuff not being able to be done in 2011, who cares? The Order looks better than anything from that year. So does Uncharted. I'm playing Crysis 2 right now on Ultra, and no way does it look huge amounts better than Uncharted or The Order. The only huge difference is 60 FPS.

Pity for you that you don't see the difference between last gen consoles and these ones for the sake of an internet thread. There's a huge difference graphically when boosting your games to 1080p with better AA, being able to use better light reflection techniques, having better textures, and more environmental effects while running at better frame rates. Call it gen seven in a tux, it's still loads better than the PS3 and 360 were able to manage by 2013.

As for Fallout 4, it doesn't meet the texture work, animation quality, or sheer graphical fidelity that's present elsewhere in gaming today. Not a terribly ugly game, but the color palette it has isn't doing it any favors.

I actually caught that before hitting submit, but forgot to fix it lol. Oh well.

Anyways, the PS4 uses literally a 7970m (pitcarn) with two of the twenty CUs fused off for redundancy (and also clocked lower than the real 7970m is. In the end, it gets 2.1TF to the PS4's 1.8. The Xbox One uses a 7870m (bonaire) with two extra CUs. (both consoles actually use the 8000 series versions of those, which are identical, just OEM rebrands with an improved implimentation of the Zero Core tech added or whatever. (I believe))

Point is, if you built a PC in 2011, it would have been a joke even then, to buy something like these.

zassimick

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 142

User Lists: 2

#12 zassimick  Moderator
Member since 2004 • 10470 Posts

I agree with you; I thought the world looked beautiful in this one.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#13 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

@StrongDeadlift: I don't see the joke. You're not building a PC with these specs in 2011 at $400.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#14 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14411 Posts

Agreed, game looks fantastic. Of course, technical performance is something to be concerned about, because, you know, Bethesda.

intotheminx

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#15 intotheminx
Member since 2014 • 2608 Posts

Looks fine to me. The real crime is that people convince themselves graphics are everything. Last time I checked a resolution didn't dictate the fun level of a game.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

They are good but certainly no Star Wars Battlefront or Rise of the Tomb Raider.

You have to think how much more is going on in Fallout 4 also. The items, crafting and building. It looks like somewhat destructible environment too. All make for a really in depth game to put +100 hours into.

StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 StrongDeadlift

@FoxbatAlpha said:

They are good but certainly no Star Wars Battlefront or Rise of the Tomb Raider.

You have to think how much more is going on in Fallout 4 also. The items, crafting and building. It looks like somewhat destructible environment too. All make for a really in depth game to put +100 hours into.

Wait a minute......one thing I never thought about, or looked into (or remember from bethesda's conference)........is there still loading screens every time you enter every building? Or did they finally get rid of that shit?

GarGx1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#18 GarGx1
Member since 2011 • 10934 Posts

I thought it looked pretty good, the terrain detail and environment were just as good as anything else shown on console at E3.

The problem is, there are so many people in here that think in engine videos = in game gameplay and that a detailed face is the be all and end all of graphics. I'm sure there are at least half a dozen of the most vocal who think The Order is far superior to Fallout 4 because of cut scene faces and nothing else.

In other words this place is full of delusional sycophants who wouldn't know good graphics if they were slapped in the face with them.

A-new-Guardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19  Edited By A-new-Guardian
Member since 2015 • 2458 Posts

I really don't care how much graphics they're pushing. If a game looks great like horizon and uncharted then I'm happy, and if a game doesn't look as good as those like fallout I'm still gonna be happy because I love gaming for its gameplay, art direction etc. people here are so negative and cyinic that I come here less. And it was for the better.

Frank_Castle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Frank_Castle
Member since 2015 • 1982 Posts

I don't understand the crying, period.

If people aren't bitching about the graphics, then they're bitching about it becoming less of an RPG.

Personally, I don't give a **** about either.

It's another open world Bethesda game that you can easily sink 200+ hours into. I know I'll sure as hell have a lot of fun with it.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

They look fine

Catalli

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Catalli  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 3453 Posts

@SolidGame_basic said:

Not fanboy wars

This is really ironic.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#23 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61427 Posts

I definitely get it, but the world is looking pretty damn nice so far. Fortunately, I don't need the fanciest graphics to enjoy something.

gpuking

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24  Edited By gpuking
Member since 2004 • 3914 Posts

Infamous, tw3, horizon, batman or even fc4 prove fallout 4 has no reason to look like the poor state it is now. Legacy engine is legacy.

Shibua

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 Shibua
Member since 2014 • 467 Posts

I was going to blame consoles for Fallout 4's bad graphics but you know

Loading Video...

OhSnapitz

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 OhSnapitz
Member since 2002 • 19282 Posts

Face facts bro.. the game engine is dated and it clearly shows it's age. But that doesn't mean it's going to be a bad game. I've yet to play a "bad" Bethesda game.

NyaDC

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27 NyaDC
Member since 2014 • 8006 Posts

It looks like a game that's from 2010, what's not to understand? Mystery solved...

/thread

Truth_Hurts_U

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 8

#28 Truth_Hurts_U
Member since 2006 • 9703 Posts

It's only going to be running 30 FPS on console too lol.

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

@StrongDeadlift: U was told that the loading screens were done. I hope there might be one here or there because I like the useful tips that they throw up while it's loading.

Avatar image for deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
deactivated-5cd08b1605da1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 27

#30 deactivated-5cd08b1605da1
Member since 2012 • 9317 Posts

meh

I'm not playing it for the graphics

Avatar image for deactivated-5cf3bfcedc29b
deactivated-5cf3bfcedc29b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By deactivated-5cf3bfcedc29b
Member since 2014 • 776 Posts

I think most complaints after stim from the fact that most of those people are not smart. Because they didn't wait for info about the gameplay or (after E3) they cannot realize their game machine will have a heart attack if you build your fortifcations to big them selves. They'll wise up I hope.

-God-

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32  Edited By -God-
Member since 2004 • 3627 Posts

It looks worse than GTAV-PC. A port of a 2 year old last gen game...

It looks a gen behind Horizon and Witcher 3.

But the lolsoles still run it at 30 fps. Lmao.