I don't think the Wii U will even sell as well as the GC.

This topic is locked from further discussion.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

Is Mario Kart and Smash Bros really going to move Wii U consoles as much as Nintendo thinks they are? I mean I think the people who wanted Mario Kart/Smash Bros already own a Wii U by now. It just seems to me that Nintendo's 1st party titles aren't as relevant as they use to be and will not be enough to make up for the lack of third party support.

I really think it would be a miracle if Nintendo could sell another 2-3 million Wii U's by the end of 2014.

Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 107

#2  Edited By Demonjoe93
Member since 2009 • 9869 Posts

I think at the very least, Smash Brothers 4 and Mario Kart 8 move five million Wii-Us. Even Melee and Double Dash sold over seven million copies, so it stands to reason that many of the people who would buy these games have not yet bought a Wii-U, including me.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

@Demonjoe93:

Maybe 5 million copies, but they won't move 5 million actual consoles. Though, I do believe we will see a Mario Kart + Wii U bundle this holiday with a price cut.

Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Demonjoe93

@emgesp said:

@Demonjoe93:

Maybe 5 million copies, but they won't move 5 million actual consoles. Though, I do believe we will see a Mario Kart + Wii U bundle this holiday with a price cut.

That bundle would sure help them.

The thing that will help them the most though is advertising. Shortly before the launch of those two games, we should be seeing a lot of ads. I see One and PS4 ads all the time, but it's pretty rare when I see something pertaining to Wii-U.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#5 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

I think you might be right.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#6 LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

It will be the worst selling Nintendo console in history.

It will also be the first Nintendo console since the N64 to have the least amount of third party support.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 SolidGame_basic
Member since 2003 • 45061 Posts

I think we need to give a Nintendo a little more credit than assuming they hope to sell Wii Us off of just Mario Kart & Smash.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#9  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@speak_low said:

The Wii U install base is so small now and so far behind where it should be - it's almost guaranteed to never match GCN consoles at this rate. Also:

MK Wii - 34 million

SSB Brawl (Wii) - 12 million

MK Double Dash (GCN) - 7 million

SSB Melee (GCN) - 7 million

So MK8 and SSBU are going to be the worst selling in the series - can't even match the GCN numbers, and what makes it look especially bad is this is coming after chart-topping MK Wii and SSB Brawl (Wii having both the highest selling versions in the series)

Say what you will about Sony and MS and their financial problems and flaws here and there - they never crashed so hard the way Nintendo have in terms of hardware and software for successive home consoles (Vita being another disaster, but for the handheld market) - even when these two sell less, it's never at the dramatically steep levels that Nintendo continues to fall

It takes enormously stupid decisions to have this happen, and lots of them to allow problems like this to repeat as they have. Nintendo excels in these areas

sonys computer, phone, vita and tv dept are just as the wiiu.

the playstation, music and movie divisions do well though...in the case of playstation...they monopolized all the 3rd party to accomplish it.

Avatar image for TrappedInABox91
TrappedInABox91

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#10  Edited By TrappedInABox91
Member since 2013 • 1483 Posts

I think its probably going to sell about the same.

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

Don't know, 22M seems extremely low in this day and age.

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#13  Edited By jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

I could see it selling as much as the Gamecube.

I don't see it getting as many memorable games as the Gamecube.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#14  Edited By KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

@speak_low said:

@KBFloYd said:

sonys computer, phone, vita and tv dept are just as the wiiu.

the playstation, music and movie divisions do well though...in the case of playstation...they monopolized all the 3rd party to accomplish it.

Sony and MS have more products and departments to watch over, yes - but would Nintendo and Iwata do better with additional computer, phone, TV, music and movie divisions to watch over, when they can't even resuscitate a simple video game console - the very thing they have the most industry experience in?

They have the least responsibility of the three and still failed. You bringing up Sony and MS's other divisions makes Nintendo look worse, because it shows their failure to succeed even when concentrating in one area (and Sony and MS have way more competition in those other areas to deal with. Nintendo has to concentrate on MS and Sony only, and they still fail!)

And what do you mean "monopolized" the 3rd party? Sony attracted them like they're supposed to do - using the same methods openly available to MS and Nintendo (and Ubisoft, EA and others you cry about being bought and stolen did make games for the Wii U. They're leaving or about to leave because of Nintendo's constant failures and bad sales, not because Sony paid them like you are implying - if this were true than why are they making games for MS too? You don't make sense nor support your brazen claims, as usual)

Nintendo couldn't attract third-party after numerous attempts every generation, so now you and a few others are pretending Sony employed unethical tactics to get to where they are and stole something from Nintendo. So one company is now an innocent victim who can't compete in this slanted and "corrupt" business, and another is an unprincipled bully. Have you been watching gangster movies lately?

Your claims never go anywhere - you just throw something out and think the boldness of the accusation will be enough to force us to empathize with Nintendo and distract us from the facts. Sure, make up stuff to make you feel better. I just have to look for the Princess Peach icon to know I'm in for a doozy

nintendo's handheld is selling just as good as ps4....vita is just as bad as the wiiu...

equal income..one company with 3rd party and one with almost none...which is the better gamming company then?

mario kart 7 already sold like 7million so even if mario kart 8 flops.. you statements that nintendo franchises are irrlevant are fraudulent.

i just have to look for barbara striesand to know im in for nintendo hate.

ratchet_usa

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 ratchet_usa
Member since 2005 • 376 Posts

@emgesp: nintendo is dead and the game cube was much cheaper than xbox the PS2 and it still become a historic FLop. The same future lies for wiiu is nintendo doesn't do anything about it. Same strategy though, when game cube came out, nintendo dropped all support for n64 and force all their sheep to buy a cube, the same for wiiu.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

#20millionandamovie

Pray_to_me

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Pray_to_me
Member since 2011 • 4041 Posts

They should just pull the plug right now and port all that shit to PS4 and iOS.

mariokart64fan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 101

#18 mariokart64fan
Member since 2003 • 20828 Posts

lol ps3 was doing just as bad in the first few years , yet it managed 80 million , i think 50 million is a good mark for wiiu atm , anything can happen in the coming years that propel it , mariokart 8 is a good place to start

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 locopatho

@mariokart64fan said:

lol ps3 was doing just as bad in the first few years , yet it managed 80 million , i think 50 million is a good mark for wiiu atm , anything can happen in the coming years that propel it , mariokart 8 is a good place to start

Mario Kart 64 fan thinks Mario Kart will bring 50 million sales... lol. WIiU will be lucky to beat Dreamcast.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 locopatho

@speak_low said:

I said that the Wii U install base is too low - pathetically low (selling worse than Dreamcast at the same point in time -- how does this fact not disturb you?), and this record low for Nintendo will severely limit the potential sales of MK8 and SSBU. If things continue to be this bad you may not even see a Zelda U because a big budget title cannot afford to see just 2-4 million sold and call that a profitable success. Skyward Sword had 4 million and Nintendo was disappointed with that one. 2-4 million units sounds like a lot but not for major exclusives under development for years - a Zelda title should be accomplishing more than that.

Totally. Skyward Sword sold worse on a 100 million userbase than Windwaker sold on a 20 million userbase and is the lowest rated console Zelda ever. Zelda is (sadly) trending downwards. Well not the handheld ones, but the console ones for sure.

superbuuman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By superbuuman
Member since 2010 • 6400 Posts

still think its a mistake releasing SSB on 3DS & Wii U...not need to buy Wii U for it anymore.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

I think the complete opposite of this will occur. The Wii U is on track to have a much better library than the Gamecube did. As long as Nintendo continues to support it for a few more years, this is just about guaranteed. Nintendo has completely lost their casual audience, though, and I don't think their traditional games are going to get them back.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

#24  Edited By LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

@Pray_to_me: more like should just make a better WiiU.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By locopatho

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@jg4xchamp said:

I think the complete opposite of this will occur. The Wii U is on track to have a much better library than the Gamecube did. As long as Nintendo continues to support it for a few more years, this is just about guaranteed. Nintendo has completely lost their casual audience, though, and I don't think their traditional games are going to get them back.

Marp? Gamecube had powerful hardware, great sequels, great new IPs and some decent 3rd party. Don't see WiiU getting that. Nothing like the Sands Of Time Trilogy, Burnout or Tales Of for example.

Lulu_Lulu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Lulu_Lulu
Member since 2013 • 19564 Posts

But it is Better than the gamecube. Quality over Quantity.

Jag85

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 219

#27 Jag85
Member since 2005 • 19514 Posts

It should sell somewhere around the same amount the GameCube sold.

Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By Demonjoe93

@superbuuman said:

still think its a mistake releasing SSB on 3DS & Wii U...not need to buy Wii U for it anymore.

I think the impact the 3DS version of Smash Brothers 4 will be minimal. Smash Brothers is famous for its local multiplayer, and playing in the same room together will be easiest on the Wii-U.

I think at worst 80% of the copies Smash Brothers 4 sells will be Wii-U.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#29 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
@emgesp said:

I mean I think the people who wanted Mario Kart/Smash Bros already own a Wii U by now.

Why would anyone buy a console IN ANTICIPATION for something they want? Why wouldn't they wait till what they want comes out? A stupid consumer shops like that.

CountBleck12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#30 CountBleck12
Member since 2012 • 4726 Posts

@Demonjoe93 said:

@superbuuman said:

I think the impact the 3DS version of Smash Brothers 4 will be minimal. Smash Brothers is famous for its local multiplayer, and playing in the same room together will be easiest on the Wii-U.

Yeah I mean the past SSB titles have all been on consoles so it would only make sense that people would buy the game on the Wii U.

Aparthide

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Aparthide
Member since 2013 • 281 Posts

@mariokart64fan said:

In the same time span the ps3 sold twice as much at almost twice the price of the Wii U.

Demonjoe93

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Demonjoe93

@foxhound_fox said:
@emgesp said:

I mean I think the people who wanted Mario Kart/Smash Bros already own a Wii U by now.

Why would anyone buy a console IN ANTICIPATION for something they want? Why wouldn't they wait till what they want comes out? A stupid consumer shops like that.

While I'm sure some people do that, I also don't think most people do that. For example, when Halo comes out on the One, expect sales for it to spike.

DJ-Lafleur

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 DJ-Lafleur
Member since 2007 • 35604 Posts

@CountBleck12 said:

@Demonjoe93 said:

@superbuuman said:

Yeah I mean the past SSB titles have all been on consoles so it would only make sense that people would buy the game on the Wii U.

That and the Wii U is supposed to have different stages and I'm pretty sure I recall Sakurai saying something about cross=platform play or whatever.

FinalFighters

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 FinalFighters
Member since 2013 • 3410 Posts

yeah i think you might be right. im guesstimating around 12 Million, maybe lower.

CountBleck12

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35 CountBleck12
Member since 2012 • 4726 Posts

@DJ-Lafleur said:

@CountBleck12 said:

That and the Wii U is supposed to have different stages and I'm pretty sure I recall Sakurai saying something about cross=platform play or whatever.

Yeah I heard about that as well, not sure if it's still true about the game having that though.

Shinobishyguy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#36 Shinobishyguy
Member since 2006 • 22928 Posts

@locopatho: a link between world's was made by the same teams that made the console zeldas. If there was a downward trend it broke it

Joedgabe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#37  Edited By Joedgabe
Member since 2006 • 5134 Posts

I know sales are important for the future of a product but..... putting that a bit aside GC had some pretty damn good games. Had the better SSB and the better Mario Kart metroid prime RE4 debut for example. So personally i think the GC was a gamers success. PS2 beat it sure but not erased it. That feeling that the GC was good got me to buy a Wii of-course i was highly dissapointed in the wii though.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 locopatho

@Shinobishyguy said:

@locopatho: a link between world's was made by the same teams that made the console zeldas. If there was a downward trend it broke it

Fair enough. I didn't know that.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39  Edited By PurpleMan5000
@locopatho said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@jg4xchamp said:

Marp? Gamecube had powerful hardware, great sequels, great new IPs and some decent 3rd party. Don't see WiiU getting that. Nothing like the Sands Of Time Trilogy, Burnout or Tales Of for example.

I played my multiplats on a more powerful system than the Gamecube, just like this gen. Multiplat games mean absolutely nothing to me on any of the consoles, really. The Wii U already has a great exclusive library. It is the only current gen console worth owning right now.

Life-is-a-Game

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 Life-is-a-Game
Member since 2005 • 954 Posts

No way .. The GC sold sth like 21-22Million .. WiiU stands at around 5.5Million now .. and Mario Kart, SSB and Zelda haven't been released yet .. We also have Bayo 2 and project X and whatever new game Retro working on .. So from here until the end of the year I can see it selling around 10Million .. In four years it will be 25Million after all games get released

Btw Nintendo pumped 2 Marios, DKCR, Pikmin 3, so for sure their developers are working on a lot of new titles we know nothing about :)

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@jg4xchamp said:

How? The gamecube actually had a third party lineup.

Exclusive for Exclusive even if the WiiU had an edge(it be little at best), it still wouldn't make up for the fact the gamecube also got Beyond good and Evil, Sands of Time, Splinter Cell, Timesplitters, Resident Evil 4, etc. Nintendo's work should be fine(albeit I doubt they ever hit the heights of the 2 prime games on the gamecube with Metroid ever again), but that doesn't change the fact that all it has going for it are exclusives. It has no library beyond that. The gamecube did, and that's not simply overruled with "I just played those games on PS2 anyway". That's not really the point. An entire library shouldn't be dismissed like that.

Now if the argument is about me using the word "memorable". Well that one is another entirely, but again for my money the most interesting game on the WiiU isn't even a Nintendo made game: It's Platinum. Outside of parts of 3D World, Nintendo's own offerings have been mostly uninspired. Good(like Donkey Kong), but devoid of any meaningful evolution.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 PurpleMan5000

@jg4xchamp said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@jg4xchamp said:

How? The gamecube actually had a third party lineup.

Exclusive for Exclusive even if the WiiU had an edge(it be little at best), it still wouldn't make up for the fact the gamecube also got Beyond good and Evil, Sands of Time, Splinter Cell, Timesplitters, Resident Evil 4, etc. Nintendo's work should be fine(albeit I doubt they ever hit the heights of the 2 prime games on the gamecube with Metroid ever again), but that doesn't change the fact that all it has going for it are exclusives. It has no library beyond that. The gamecube did, and that's not simply overruled with "I just played those games on PS2 anyway". That's not really the point. An entire library shouldn't be dismissed like that.

Now if the argument is about me using the word "memorable". Well that one is another entirely, but again for my money the most interesting game on the WiiU isn't even a Nintendo made game: It's Platinum. Outside of parts of 3D World, Nintendo's own offerings have been mostly uninspired. Good(like Donkey Kong), but devoid of any meaningful evolution.

None of those games were best played on the Gamecube, though. When I think of those titles, I don't think of the Gamecube. When you think about Arkham City or Deus Ex, do you think about the Wii U?

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 locopatho

@PurpleMan5000 said:
@locopatho said:

@PurpleMan5000 said:

@jg4xchamp said:

I played my multiplats on a more powerful system than the Gamecube, just like this gen. Multiplat games mean absolutely nothing to me on any of the consoles, really. The Wii U already has a great exclusive library. It is the only current gen console worth owning right now.

You said library, not exclusives. So that's why I mentioned third party. Fair enough, Nintendo consoles always do have exclusives worth getting.

Coolyfett

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 36

#44 Coolyfett
Member since 2008 • 6276 Posts

@LegatoSkyheart said:

It will be the worst selling Nintendo console in history.

It will also be the first Nintendo console since the N64 to have the least amount of third party support.

How many units did gamecube and Virtual Boy sell?? Let Coolyfett check wiki......21.74 million Gamecubes and 1.26 million Virtual Boys..so Wii U needs to beat 21.74 Million lifetime sales.

DocSanchez

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#45 DocSanchez
Member since 2013 • 5557 Posts

Nintendo may not give it enough time to beat the gamecube's sales. Think about that.

What an outright disaster this console has been from start to finish. And the amount of armchair experts out there who think there ever was an easy solution to fixing it is staggering. No, changing the name isn't a quick fix. No, games aren't the only problem. No, the gamepad isn't the only thing holding it back. There is a lot going on here and it goes back years and years.

Nintendo's problems, ones of credibility and third party strength, go way back, but they were exacerbated by the wii. Yes, they sold more than any other console, but it wasn't with gamers. It was with people who were always destined to treat Nintendo as a passing fad. And they boasted of the fact. They tailored their console to them. And now the inevitable has happened, and they haven't followed Nintendo, and it's isolated. A thin strand of die hard followers is all that is standing between them and oblivion.

chocolate1325

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 306

#46  Edited By chocolate1325
Member since 2006 • 33007 Posts

I think that Mario Kart games on Handhelds have been better whilst the console ones have been good too the handhelds seem to catch the brilliance of the SNES original with it's gameplay better espically in Battle Mode.

Also many people thought Melee was better than Brawl which it is and I doubt that the follow up will be any better than Melee.