I do miss backwards compatability

• 71 results
#51 Posted by cainetao11 (16895 posts) -

@kinectthedots:

Dude you're assuming. As I said I said Sony is leading the charge because they've done more HD collections than the other manufacturers. I also went on to pick on MS about a possibility of cash ins on Gears, Alan wake and American nightmare and Crackdown as collections. Even if I was saying its all Sony's fault, which I am not because companies aren't at fault for doing what they need to in order to get revenue, why are you so defensive? Are you an employee? Is Sony your mommy?

Derpness? Yeah sort of like you ignoring me calling out other companies for what I wish gaming hadn't become?

#52 Posted by cainetao11 (16895 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

I think it's good for people who didn't have a chance to play the original and people seem to buy them so they will be coming out for quite some time.

I kept my PS3/360 so I'm in no rush to get previously played games, but a game like Beyond 2 Souls, which I didn't play on Ps3, I'll get on Ps4.

I hear Heil68. I was always a fan of making room by my new system being able to play my old games. But this is where we are in gaming. I still have my PS3, my 360 is upstate with my nephew. I wasn't blaming Sony as in their financial situation last gen it made perfect sense to recoup revenue. I guess after reading the article I just wish our libraries wouldn't be inundated with more of this. And I have no doubt MS will follow suit with Gears collection, maybe others.

#53 Edited by kinectthedots (1614 posts) -

@cainetao11 said:

@kinectthedots:

Dude you're assuming. As I said I said Sony is leading the charge because they've done more HD collections than the other manufacturers. I also went on to pick on MS about a possibility of cash ins on Gears, Alan wake and American nightmare and Crackdown as collections. Even if I was saying its all Sony's fault, which I am not because companies aren't at fault for doing what they need to in order to get revenue, why are you so defensive? Are you an employee? Is Sony your mommy?

Derpness? Yeah sort of like you ignoring me calling out other companies for what I wish gaming hadn't become?

Your argument is stupid as I said before SONY is the who who lead the way with BC in successor consoles, SONY DID!!! You still are conveniently trying to bypass that fact.

MS and Consumers are the ones who lead the way to Sony abandoning BC. MS's rip-off pay to play with any service policy and consumers adopting MS's rip-off XBL pay to gain access to your own games online features lead the way to Sony abandoning true BS unless you pay heavily (PS NOW) and paid for online.

If you want to blame anyone for leading those horrible tends then you should look squarely at MS...and in the mirror.

Take note: I FULLY blame Sony for the PS Now price scheme, but MS and their customers are the ones who lead the way to their change in direction.

#54 Posted by cainetao11 (16895 posts) -

@cainetao11 said:

@kinectthedots:

Your argument is stupid as I said before SONY is the who who lead the way with BC in successor consoles, SONY DID!!! You still are conveniently trying to bypass that fact.

MS and Consumers are the ones who lead the way to Sony abandoning BC. MS's rip-off pay to play with any service policy and consumers adopting MS's rip-off XBL pay to gain access to your own games online features lead the way to Sony abandoning true BS unless you pay heavily (PS NOW) and paid for online.

If you want to blame anyone for leading those horrible tends then you should look squarely at MS...and in the mirror.

Take note: I FULLY blame Sony for the PS Now price scheme, but MS and their customers are the ones who lead the way to their change in direction.

How am I bypassing a fact? You think you introduced this knowledge to me? Again you are assuming. And Since they did introduce the BC isn't taking it out teh 180? But oh it was MS' fault. Other companies don't have to take responsibility for themselves, my bad. You keep making it out that I blame anyone for this but I never stated so. For the third time I called out MS in anticipation of more of these from them. I don't know who you are arguing with because you keep putting things up that I never stated. As for looking in the mirror..................................wow. Are you stable?

#55 Edited by kinectthedots (1614 posts) -

@cainetao11:

You know so much guy, but you post as though you are ignorant, that or intentionally trying to deceive people with your posts. Since you know so much I'll share some info concerning your sony "leading the way" conspiracy to see how much you know about it.

Here is an actual core business model philosophy of MS concerning game services.

Microsoft stopping Epic releasing Gears maps for free

"Although two have already been released, they have four more maps that they've built and would like to release for free but are coming up against Microsoft's business model."

http://n4g.com/news/34348/microsoft-stopping-epic-releasing-gears-maps-for-free

another..

Microsoft won't let new GoW maps be free?

In a recent 1UP Yours podcast, Epic's own Tim Sweeney and Mark Rein sat down to discussGears of War and downloadable content. During the podcast, Sweeney talked about four new multiplayer maps that they have ready to give out, but are butting heads with Microsoft on how to distribute them. Word on the street is that Epic wants to give away the four new Gears maps, but Microsoft wants Epic to charge for them which is ultimately causing a delay. This of course has caused a community uproar, because we just want our free maps. Cue the Microsoft hating.

But just wait one second. Mark Rein posted Epic's response to this whole podcast interview mess and isn't pointing fingers at anyone. He goes on to say that Epic and Microsoft both want to make money and that they feel "the way to maximize the return on Gears of War is to give the maps away for free and Microsoft thinks the way to maximize the return on Gears of War is to sell the maps". So, they just weren't seeing eye to eye. Instead, Epic and Microsoft came to an agreement that they'll be offering all four multiplayer maps for a small fee on the XBLM and a few months later the content will be available for free ... a laHalo 2 maps. Mark Rein further clarifies things by saying that Epic must play by Microsoft's rules when it comes to the XBLM and as a publisher, but says both companies have the best interest of the consumer and their bank accounts. Still need some clarification? Head over to this post where Mark Rein answers the community's concerns and complaints about all this drama. We swear, it's like high school all over again ...

http://www.joystiq.com/2007/04/09/microsoft-wont-let-new-gow-maps-be-free/

FYI, this was back in 2007.

There you have it. wonder if you are still going to carry on your, "Sony lead the way" crusade about industry trends after seeing whose original philosophy it was to charge for any and every service a game company provides...and this was when MS was charging $50 a year for xbl and Sony was allowing online gameplay plus all services on PSN for free and had BC.

#56 Posted by cainetao11 (16895 posts) -

@cainetao11:

You know so much guy, but you post as though you are ignorant, that or intentionally trying to deceive people with your posts. Since you know so much I'll share some info concerning your sony "leading the way" conspiracy to see how much you know about it.

Here is an actual core business model philosophy of MS concerning game services.

"Although two have already been released, they have four more maps that they've built and would like to release for free but are coming up against Microsoft's business model."

another..

In a recent 1UP Yours podcast, Epic's own Tim Sweeney and Mark Rein sat down to discussGears of War and downloadable content. During the podcast, Sweeney talked about four new multiplayer maps that they have ready to give out, but are butting heads with Microsoft on how to distribute them. Word on the street is that Epic wants to give away the four new Gears maps, but Microsoft wants Epic to charge for them which is ultimately causing a delay. This of course has caused a community uproar, because we just want our free maps. Cue the Microsoft hating.

But just wait one second. Mark Rein posted Epic's response to this whole podcast interview mess and isn't pointing fingers at anyone. He goes on to say that Epic and Microsoft both want to make money and that they feel "the way to maximize the return on Gears of War is to give the maps away for free and Microsoft thinks the way to maximize the return on Gears of War is to sell the maps". So, they just weren't seeing eye to eye. Instead, Epic and Microsoft came to an agreement that they'll be offering all four multiplayer maps for a small fee on the XBLM and a few months later the content will be available for free ... a laHalo 2 maps. Mark Rein further clarifies things by saying that Epic must play by Microsoft's rules when it comes to the XBLM and as a publisher, but says both companies have the best interest of the consumer and their bank accounts. Still need some clarification? Head over to this post where Mark Rein answers the community's concerns and complaints about all this drama. We swear, it's like high school all over again ...

There you have it. wonder if you are still going to carry on your, "Sony lead the way" crusade about industry trends after seeing whose original philosophy it was to charge for any and every service a game company provides...and this was when MS was charging $50 a year for xbl and Sony was allowing online gameplay plus all services on PSN for free and had BC.

I've never met someone who completely missed what I said more than you. I said Sony is leading the way in HD or remasters because they have put out more than the other two companies. That is all I meant. You have twisted this into something entirely else. I get meds from the VA. They work dude. Get help.

#57 Edited by kinectthedots (1614 posts) -

@cainetao11 said:

@kinectthedots said:

@cainetao11:

another..

I've never met someone who completely missed what I said more than you. I said Sony is leading the way in HD or remasters because they have put out more than the other two companies. That is all I meant. You have twisted this into something entirely else. I get meds from the VA. They work dude. Get help.

I think you're the one who's missed the point, how is it sony's fault for not including something that people have shown they could care less about?

Sony is just following trends, xbox really didn't have a solid solution for BC and the console sold just fine, MS also charged premium price for every service they offered gamers and people paid. Well, I guess, for better or worse, Sony was paying attention.

Why would any company invest in anything if they didn't believe the consumers wanted or valued it? To that, I offer the lack of BC on the current playstation system.

Is the re-introduction of highly valuable past generation games a residual benefit of not having BC? Absolutely, however (look at halo remake on xbox, wind waker on wii ect) it's not an practice exclusive to sony nor does the practice of reintroducing old games hurt anyone, don't want it don't have to buy it.

It's like you are mixing two arguments to try to mesh them together against sony which kind of exposes your bias here. What exactly dose missing BC*your thread title* (which won't come back unless demand shows its worth investing in again) and the amount of HD remakes/remasters a company make have to do with each other?

Those are two completely separate topics, unless you are trying to force them together. Why don't you make your gripe clear...

Are you hating on remakes/remasters in general or missing BC in consoles?

Is it Sony's fault for following tends that dictate that BC wasn't that important and leaving it out saving money or are you hating on Sony because they produced the most HD remakes because they had more classic games in their line up of games to choose from than other companies?

#58 Posted by svaubel (2444 posts) -

Yea, if you don't want to get milked for over paying for a previous gen's games, get a PC. Filling in a lack of games by re-releasing your last gen's games with a new coat of paint doesn't cut it. I WANT NEW GAMES!

This. Sony needs to step up and work on new games, not re-release what already exists on the PS3. They have already abandoned the Vita, relying on 3rd parties to do all the work, and its starting to look the same for the PS4 too.

#59 Posted by cainetao11 (16895 posts) -

@kinectthedots: "Is the re-introduction of highly valuable past generation games a residual benefit of not having BC? Absolutely, however (look at halo remake on xbox, wind waker on wii ect) it's not an practice exclusive to sony nor does the practice of reintroducing old games hurt anyone, don't want it don't have to buy it."

From my second post: From a business standpoint I understand, its easy money. I knew it when they dropped BC in the PS3. They were just going to resell games. And they're all guilty of it, but looking at what's been done, Sony is leading the charge no doubt. With MS' restructuring of their Xbox division (people getting fired, entertainment division closed) I bet Gears collection, Alan Wake and American Nightmare, Crackdown collection are at least a thought. Its effin weak imo.

"It's like you are mixing two arguments to try to mesh them together against sony which kind of exposes your bias here. What exactly dose missing BC*your thread title* (which won't come back unless demand shows its worth investing in again) and the amount of HD remakes/remasters a company make have to do with each other?"

From a response to @Heil68 I guess after reading the article I just wish our libraries wouldn't be inundated with more of this. And I have no doubt MS will follow suit with Gears collection, maybe others.

"Are you hating on remakes/remasters in general or missing BC in consoles?"

What would be the purpose of remakes/remasters if consoles were still BC?

"Is it Sony's fault for following tends that dictate that BC........."

When did I say it was Sony's fault? You were the one that came into this conversation laying blame. Nobody but you took the phrase "Sony is leading the charge" as meaning its Sony's fault. It means they have done the HD collection or remaster thing more than the other two. And I said more will come from other companies. There are other cows in this thread, but you are the only one acting like you got felt up on the way to the prom. Do you believe you're the only one to see through my cleverly veiled attack on Sony, rather than a commentary on game companies filling libraries with easy cash ins? No friend, you've created all this in your defensive little mind.

#60 Edited by PsychoLemons (2044 posts) -

Same here. Although it is more expensive if they added it.

My PC's backward compatablilty somehow makes older games have a graphical glitch, it makes me sad.

#61 Edited by kinectthedots (1614 posts) -

@cainetao11 said:

@kinectthedots: "Is the re-introduction of highly valuable past generation games a residual benefit of not having BC? Absolutely, however (look at halo remake on xbox, wind waker on wii ect) it's not an practice exclusive to sony nor does the practice of reintroducing old games hurt anyone, don't want it don't have to buy it."

From my second post: From a business standpoint I understand, its easy money. I knew it when they dropped BC in the PS3. They were just going to resell games. And they're all guilty of it, but looking at what's been done, Sony is leading the charge no doubt. With MS' restructuring of their Xbox division (people getting fired, entertainment division closed) I bet Gears collection, Alan Wake and American Nightmare, Crackdown collection are at least a thought. Its effin weak imo.

"It's like you are mixing two arguments to try to mesh them together against sony which kind of exposes your bias here. What exactly dose missing BC*your thread title* (which won't come back unless demand shows its worth investing in again) and the amount of HD remakes/remasters a company make have to do with each other?"

From a response to @Heil68 I guess after reading the article I just wish our libraries wouldn't be inundated with more of this. And I have no doubt MS will follow suit with Gears collection, maybe others.

When did I say it was Sony's fault? You were the one that came into this conversation laying blame. Nobody but you took the phrase "Sony is leading the charge" as meaning its Sony's fault. It means they have done the HD collection or remaster thing more than the other two. And I said more will come from other companies. There are other cows in this thread, but you are the only one acting like you got felt up on the way to the prom. Do you believe you're the only one to see through my cleverly veiled attack on Sony, rather than a commentary on game companies filling libraries with easy cash ins? No friend, you've created all this in your defensive little mind.

Simple responce to your "sony has done it more" is already in my long winded speel that you might have glossed over.

"produced the most HD remakes because they had more classic games in their line up of games to choose from than other companies?"

The only flaw in your argument is that Sony is somehow steam heading the path to HD-remakes/remasters as some kind of front man. The truth of the matter is they just have a deeper bag of material to pull from. This market is supply and demand. if there were more "classic/genre defining" titles that either company felt they could use to create these kinds of games remake/remaster titles from for easy cash with they would do it.

Truth of the matter is Sony is doing what both of the other companies are doing/have been doing, they just have more stock for the market. I could personally care less about all the HD/remake/masters going around here because the only reintroduction game I have ever been interested in is TLOU R. Why would other games I don't care about concern me?

Don't get me wrong PS3's BC was great that's why I specifically got a 60gig PS3 even after they stopped being made. That doesn't change the fact that the BC it had wasn't really appreciated when it was there and that it being gone is a consequence of that lack of value...that is largely due to the market and customers actions.

The remake thing is something that you can't blame on any specific company, if they got it and think they can use it again to make money they will do it...just look at the movie remake craze for any reference.

Do you look forward to the NEW Ninja Turtles movie? Yeah, like that.

#62 Posted by cainetao11 (16895 posts) -

My PC's backward compatablilty somehow makes older games have a graphical glitch, it makes me sad.

Really? I am new to the PC gaming thing but that can happen? I have had trouble getting some older games to run (Mafia, Deus Ex, KOTOR) but searching has given me the fix. You or anyone else wouldn't by chance have the Elder Scrolls anthology would you? Was wondering how the first two performed.

#63 Posted by cainetao11 (16895 posts) -

@cainetao11 said:

Simple responce to your "sony has done it more" is already in my long winded speel that you might have glossed over.

"produced the most HD remakes because they had more classic games in their line up of games to choose from than other companies?"

The only flaw in your argument is that Sony is somehow steam heading the path to HD-remakes/remasters as some kind of front man. The truth of the matter is they just have a deeper bag of material to pull from. This market is supply and demand. if there were more "classic/genre defining" titles that either company felt they could use to create these kinds of games remake/remaster titles from for easy cash with they would do it.

Truth of the matter is Sony is doing what both of the other companies are doing/have been doing, they just have more stock for the market. I could personally care less about all the HD/remake/masters going around here because the only reintroduction game I have ever been interested in is TLOU R. Why would other games I don't care about concern me?

Don't get me wrong PS3's BC was great that's why I specifically got a 60gig PS3 even after they stopped being made. That doesn't change the fact that the BC it had wasn't really appreciated when it was there and that it being gone is a consequence of that lack of value...that is largely due to the market and customers actions.

The remake thing is something that you can't blame on any specific company, if they got it and think they can use it again to make money they will do it...just look at the movie remake craze for any reference.

Do you look forward to the NEW Ninja Turtles movie? Yeah, like that.

Ninja Turtles movie? No. Don't like the from outer space thing I have read. I am well aware of Sony's back catalogue but its not like Nintendo doesn't have a pretty big one. And no matter the catalogue if there was BC, the remakes wouldn't be as viable. But BC isn't as viable as I said no company wants to sell at a loss.

You really ran with something you cant prove I did. Blaming Sony. Show me another in this thread that accused me of doing so. Cant be done, because it didn't happen. That comes across pretty defensive and assuming.

Sony is leading the market in consoles sold because they have sold more. Sony is leading the charge in remakes and remasters because they have done it more and as the article I linked says they are going to keep doing it. But as I have said so many times I bet the others will also. Dude, this was an argument in your mind.

#64 Posted by LegatoSkyheart (24912 posts) -

Favorite reason I own a WiiU. Can play all my Wii games on it.

#65 Posted by david61983 (154 posts) -

BC is the one thing that might convince me to get an Xbone over a PS4. It'll never happen though.

#66 Edited by PsychoLemons (2044 posts) -

@PsychoLemons said:

Really? I am new to the PC gaming thing but that can happen? I have had trouble getting some older games to run (Mafia, Deus Ex, KOTOR) but searching has given me the fix. You or anyone else wouldn't by chance have the Elder Scrolls anthology would you? Was wondering how the first two performed.

Any games that was released after the year 2000 should work though. It's just almost anything before that has the same problem although this is just my PC. Fortunately, all 2-D games work.

#67 Posted by cainetao11 (16895 posts) -
#68 Posted by Heil68 (43465 posts) -

@Heil68 said:

I think it's good for people who didn't have a chance to play the original and people seem to buy them so they will be coming out for quite some time.

I kept my PS3/360 so I'm in no rush to get previously played games, but a game like Beyond 2 Souls, which I didn't play on Ps3, I'll get on Ps4.

I hear Heil68. I was always a fan of making room by my new system being able to play my old games. But this is where we are in gaming. I still have my PS3, my 360 is upstate with my nephew. I wasn't blaming Sony as in their financial situation last gen it made perfect sense to recoup revenue. I guess after reading the article I just wish our libraries wouldn't be inundated with more of this. And I have no doubt MS will follow suit with Gears collection, maybe others.

I agree with you there. Unfortunately with new gens games always come out slow for the first couple years. Devs dont want to ignore the huge install bases on previous gen consoles.

I'm ok with it as there is enough to play on new systems to keep me entertained.

#69 Posted by ActicEdge (24375 posts) -

Backward compatibility is just hard to do given the constantly changing architectures of these systems in a combination with keeping the price down. I don't really mind that they axed it tbh. The only thing I like it for is so I don't have to have like 5 consoles sitting under my TV.

#70 Edited by cainetao11 (16895 posts) -

@Heil68: wish I could say the same. All I play on X1 is titanfall and mgs. I have watchdogs but man, I just can't get into it. Haven't seen my nephew since may so not even any laughs with Kinect shyte rivals lol. I spen most gaming time on PC I got in like April. Witcher, stalker are taking a lot of my time.

#71 Posted by clone01 (24529 posts) -

Yep, kind of a bygone era now. I also really miss the old XBL Arcade and PSN offerings. So many cool indie games.

#72 Posted by cainetao11 (16895 posts) -

@ActicEdge: agreed. That was what I loved about going from PS1-ps2/xbox -360. Only one Xbox game I owned didn't play on 360. It was space saving and convenient. But companies selling consoles at a loss may be a thing of the past. And reselling games is a sure money winner because the gaming consumer population have no problem buying the same thing year after year, ahem COD, Madden.