I Can Understand If You Like The First Halo More But.....

• 103 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 Spartan070
Member since 2004 • 16497 Posts

...if you LOVE Halo CE and at the same time absolutely HATE Halo 2 you are either delusional, irrational, nonsensical or simply not fully aware of your surroundings. As I said in the thread title, I completely understand if you prefer the first one FAR more than you prefer the second one but there is no way a rational person can feel so radically different about these two games. There is nothing about the first game that makes it exponentially better than the second game and nothing about the second game that makes it exponentially worse than the first game.

People that say these things are fakeboys in my opinion. I've beaten Halo CE 79 times andcounting and I've beaten Halo 2 91 times and counting. I've also logged in thousands of hours multiplayer and co-op in BOTH games. I'm not speaking from mere blind opinion, I'm speaking from a standpoint that I know pretty much every inch of both games. Every nook and cranny, every single enemy on all difficulty levels, every shortcut, I'm proficient with every weapon, I'm familiar with all the gameplay and AI mechanics, in other words, I really do know what I'm talking about.

There is no justification AT ALL for people who can say that Halo CE was amazing but Halo 2 blows, no justification.

SpruceCaboose

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#2 SpruceCaboose
Member since 2005 • 24589 Posts

See, its like a classic movie. No matter how good a sequel is, to some people, it can never live up to the original, and any changes (such as the pistol from CE) will be considered blaspheme.

I like Halo 2 better because I like some of the changes implemented, and of course, Live play. I understand that some people are going to hate any changes. You just need to remember that not every opinion is borne from thourough inspection and logical thought.

Some people have reasons, some just feel that changes = bad game. Its their opinions, and they don't really need to justify them. Don't sweat what other people think about something though. It should not change how you feel about it. 

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#3 Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34596 Posts
I liked Halo. I hated Halo 2. The single-player in Halo: CE was very fun. The single-player in Halo 2 sucked really bad.
flazzle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#4 flazzle
Member since 2007 • 6507 Posts
When is HALO 3 coming out? Soon?
MegaPigeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 MegaPigeon
Member since 2007 • 1726 Posts
I didn't hate Halo 2, it just didn't feel finished, and the story was really disapointing.I t didn't have the chunky feeling with the weapons like CE had either.
Raider4Life81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 Raider4Life81
Member since 2007 • 196 Posts
I like both the same I give both a 9.8
musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#7 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts
I liked Halo. I hated Halo 2. The single-player in Halo: CE was very fun. The single-player in Halo 2 sucked really bad.Litchie
But the multi is significantly better.
Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 Litchie
[QUOTE="Litchie"]I liked Halo. I hated Halo 2. The single-player in Halo: CE was very fun. The single-player in Halo 2 sucked really bad.musicalmac
But the multi is significantly better.

While that might be true, I'm always more interested in the single-player in games.
thejakel11225

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#9 thejakel11225
Member since 2005 • 2217 Posts

...if you LOVE Halo CE and at the same time absolutely HATE Halo 2 you are either delusional, irrational, nonsensical or simply not fully aware of your surroundings. As I said in the thread title, I completely understand if you prefer the first one FAR more than you prefer the second one but there is no way a rational person can feel so radically different about these two games. There is nothing about the first game that makes it exponentially better than the second game and nothing about the second game that makes it exponentially worse than the first game.

People that say these things are fakeboys in my opinion. I've beaten Halo CE 79 times andcounting and I've beaten Halo 2 91 times and counting. I've also logged in thousands of hours multiplayer and co-op in BOTH games. I'm not speaking from mere blind opinion, I'm speaking from a standpoint that I know pretty much every inch of both games. Every nook and cranny, every single enemy on all difficulty levels, every shortcut, I'm proficient with every weapon, I'm familiar with all the gameplay and AI mechanics, in other words, I really do know what I'm talking about.

There is no justification AT ALL for people who can say that Halo CE was amazing but Halo 2 blows, no justification.

Spartan070

Its called opinions, you know, things that people get bashed for...

DaysAirlines

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 DaysAirlines
Member since 2006 • 9537 Posts
Halo = Fellowship of the Ring Halo 2 = Two Towers Halo 3 = The Return of the King
Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11 Spartan070
I liked Halo. I hated Halo 2. The single-player in Halo: CE was very fun. The single-player in Halo 2 sucked really bad.Litchie
Why though? Simply just because? This is what I'm on about...
Raider4Life81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#12 Raider4Life81
Halo = Fellowship of the Ring Halo 2 = Two Towers Halo 3 = The Return of the KingDaysAirlines
thier was no fellowship[):
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts
Or perhaps there are those kinds of people out there that enjoy playing games that require skill?

Oh great... here we go...
Raider4Life81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Raider4Life81
Or perhaps there are those kinds of people out there that enjoy playing games that require skill?

foxhound_fox
Kotor doesnt take much skill itsself..ive played it 4 times over also
Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 Spartan070
Its called opinions, you know, things that people get bashed for... thejakel11225
I know but opinions usually have to be rational, you know, give a few supporting factors other than "___ rules, ___sucks."
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16 foxhound_fox
thier was no fellowship[):Raider4Life81

Become informed...
donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#17 donalbane
Member since 2003 • 16383 Posts
The story in 2 sucked compared to CE. The narrative jumped all around, and the game lacked the context and sense of continuity of the original. I loved 1 and didn't HATE 2, but I sure didn't love it either. It was just kinda' meh.
TheCrazed420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 TheCrazed420
Member since 2003 • 7661 Posts
When talking single-player, Halo CE was a hell of a lot better than the original. I thought the cutscenes and story were decent in Halo2, but the gameplay plain sucked. It just had a horrible pace and I wasn't excited to continue. The weapons we're dull, the areas we're dull, it just didn't excite me like the first one. Also, all the arbiter missions sucked. I still played thru it, but I played thru it once. Not like the original, where I beat it at least 3-4 times.
Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Spartan070

foxhound_fox
I agree completely, even though this is MILES off-topic. Mention this in another more appropriate thread and I'll oblige with a proper retort.
Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Litchie
[QUOTE="Litchie"]I liked Halo. I hated Halo 2. The single-player in Halo: CE was very fun. The single-player in Halo 2 sucked really bad.Spartan070
Why though? Simply just because? This is what I'm on about...

Why I think like I do, or why the single-player in Halo 2 wasn't fun? I don't know why it wasn't fun, really. It didn't feel new, like Halo: CE did. No fun weapons. The story (which is important) was very dissapointing. Frustrating levels. I just got the feeling that it could've been so much better. Kinda like the feeling I got with Twilight Princess.
foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 foxhound_fox

Kotor doesnt take much skill itsself..ive played it 4 times over alsoRaider4Life81

Try it on hard with a gimped character. You will be begging for mercy before you finish Taris.

Not to mention, KotOR and Halo are unrelated games.

MegaPigeon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 MegaPigeon
Member since 2007 • 1726 Posts
The story in 2 sucked compared to CE. The narrative jumped all around, and the game lacked the context and sense of continuity of the original. I loved 1 and didn't HATE 2, but I sure didn't love it either. It was just kinda' meh. donalbane
Agreed. I really didn't get the "this is it" feeling at the end of Halo 2 that I did with CE, and nothing really happened. In Halo, there's a starship battle, an abandoning of the ship, several major assaults, the flood, the 'truth', and probably the most epic ending ever. Halo 2, on the other hand, ahad an 'invasion' that consisted of 1 ship getting to Earth, 2 missions in South Africa, and then a load of Arbiter missions (which all sucked and didn't do anything for the story) and the odd 'Halo 2' mission with MC. And as a pose to explosions, touching death scenes, and such, they simply had "I'm here to finish this fight". :cry:
Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 Spartan070
and then a load of Arbiter missions (which all sucked and didn't do anything for the story) MegaPigeon
You really don't know the full story then. The Heretic is one of the 5 most important people to the entire Halo story along with Dr. Catherine Halsey, Cortana, the Arbiter(Orna Fulsamee) and John. The Heretic is EXTREMELY important and his death, which later was realized to be a martyred one, sparked the Covenant Civil War. His other missions involved retrieving the Index, which after the aborted activation of installation 05 caused the other rings to go on standby as well as activating the Shield World known as ONYX. The Arbiters missions were EXPONENTIALLY more important than anything John did in Halo 2, even more so as I'm sure you'll find out in Halo 3.
Raider4Life81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 Raider4Life81
[QUOTE="Raider4Life81"]thier was no fellowship[):foxhound_fox

Become informed...

i said thier was no fellowship in Halo
TheCrazed420

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25 TheCrazed420
Member since 2003 • 7661 Posts
[QUOTE="MegaPigeon"] and then a load of Arbiter missions (which all sucked and didn't do anything for the story) Spartan070
You really don't know the full story then. The Heretic is one of the 5 most important people to the entire Halo story along with Dr. Catherine Halsey, Cortana, the Arbiter(Orna Fulsamee) and John. The Heretic is EXTREMELY important and his death, which later was realized to be a martyred one, sparked the Covenant Civil War. His other missions involved retrieving the Index, which after the aborted activation of installation 05 caused the other rings to go on standby as well as activating the Shield World known as ONYX. The Arbiters missions were EXPONENTIALLY more important than anything John did in Halo 2, even more so as I'm sure you'll find out in Halo 3.

Damn, Spartan70, if I knew as much backstory as you did about the game, I would probably be more hyped as well! :D.
Raider4Life81

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Raider4Life81
so this was flamebait huh Spartan? Im dissapointed
donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 donalbane
[QUOTE="MegaPigeon"] and then a load of Arbiter missions (which all sucked and didn't do anything for the story) Spartan070

You could go on and on about the Matrix like that too, but no matter how much gravitas the writers were shooting for, neither the 2nd nor 3rd one were anywhere near as good as the original. And didn't Bungie admit that they disliked how Halo 2 turned out because it was rushed?
kcpp2b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 kcpp2b
Member since 2006 • 12498 Posts

Spartan070

I kinda see what you mean, I loved Halo more but in no way do I hate Halo 2. Why would I hate it really. I think Halo 2 is a good game too but just cause it's not as good as Halo 1 doesn't mean it's garbage or something I should hate.

I think mostly it's just people misusing the word hate cause they're like star wars fans who dress up and feel certain changes from Halo 1 to 2 were against the law or something lol

I think most people don't Halo 2, far majority I would say. 

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Spartan070
And didn't Bungie admit that they disliked how Halo 2 turned out because it was rushed? donalbane
They admitted it was rushed and therefore not as good as it should have been but they are still happy with the product. "It could have been better" does not mean "it was not good."
Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Spartan070
so this was flamebait huh Spartan? Im dissapointedRaider4Life81
What are you talking about? Just because some people are flaming me doesn't mean this was "flamebait."
Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Spartan070
[QUOTE="TheCrazed420"][QUOTE="Spartan070"] You really don't know the full story then. The Heretic is one of the 5 most important people to the entire Halo story along with Dr. Catherine Halsey, Cortana, the Arbiter(Orna Fulsamee) and John. The Heretic is EXTREMELY important and his death, which later was realized to be a martyred one, sparked the Covenant Civil War. His other missions involved retrieving the Index, which after the aborted activation of installation 05 caused the other rings to go on standby as well as activating the Shield World known as ONYX. The Arbiters missions were EXPONENTIALLY more important than anything John did in Halo 2, even more so as I'm sure you'll find out in Halo 3.

Damn, Spartan70, if I knew as much backstory as you did about the game, I would probably be more hyped as well! :D.

Yeah, I can only hope Bungie puts more of the great story in the actual game so that more people will know.:(
Avatar image for deactivated-57af49c27f4e8
deactivated-57af49c27f4e8

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 33

#32 deactivated-57af49c27f4e8
Member since 2005 • 14149 Posts
that's not true. my sister used to play halo 1 with me all the time, but she doesn't like halo 2. all she likes is single player because she'll get beaten badly on multiplayer, and we all know how terrible halo 2's single playe ris.
Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Spartan070
I think mostly it's just people misusing the word hate cause they're like star wars fans who dress up and feel certain changes from Halo 1 to 2 were against the law or something lolkcpp2b
Exactly, "hate" is like the new thing to say. I think many people missed my second sentence "As I said in the thread title, I completely understand if you prefer the first one FAR more than you prefer the second one...."
rykaziel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 rykaziel
Member since 2003 • 1149 Posts
The Arbiters missions were EXPONENTIALLY more important than anything John did in Halo 2, even more so as I'm sure you'll find out in Halo 3.Spartan070
THIS is why I hated Halo 2. I did not like playing as the Arbiter. It made John feel less important to the actual story, made his actions not matter as much, and in effect, because I identify with the Master Chief, made me feel as if I was less important to the story. Halo 2 destroyed the franchise for me, because of the addition of the Arbiter and how it broke up the feel of the game for me. Also, I didn't like the weapons. I didn't feel like any weapon had any "punch" at all, nothing like the MA5B in the first game. Pistol was weaker, SMG's sounded like pellet guns, I was dissapointed.
Tylendal

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

#35 Tylendal
Member since 2006 • 14681 Posts

See, its like a classic movie. No matter how good a sequel is, to some people, it can never live up to the original, and any changes (such as the pistol from CE) will be considered blaspheme.

I like Halo 2 better because I like some of the changes implemented, and of course, Live play. I understand that some people are going to hate any changes. You just need to remember that not every opinion is borne from thourough inspection and logical thought.

Some people have reasons, some just feel that changes = bad game. Its their opinions, and they don't really need to justify them. Don't sweat what other people think about something though. It should not change how you feel about it. 

SpruceCaboose
People don't really want a sequel, they want the exact same game with a new title. I for one preferred Halo 2. It had more features, better graphics, and was balanced.
Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 Spartan070
that's not true. my sister used to play halo 1 with me all the time, but she doesn't like halo 2. all she likes is single player because she'll get beaten badly on multiplayer, and we all know how terrible halo 2's single playe ris.paullywog
No, we don't "all" know.:| "You" know. As I said in my second sentence, which I think most of you missed, I completely understand if you prefer the first one FAR more, but to say you "LOVE" the first game as a whole but "HATE" the second game as a whole is absolute nonsense. The games aren't different enough to merit such a strong difference in reasoning.
Paktahn

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Paktahn
Member since 2002 • 2093 Posts
I had lots of fan playing Halo and not much fun playing Halo 2. Since I'm only interested in the single-player it didn't live up to my expectations. I would say it was as bad as PDZ compared to Perfect Dark but it's in the same ball park.
Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 Spartan070
[QUOTE="Spartan070"] The Arbiters missions were EXPONENTIALLY more important than anything John did in Halo 2, even more so as I'm sure you'll find out in Halo 3.rykaziel
THIS is why I hated Halo 2. I did not like playing as the Arbiter. It made John feel less important to the actual story, made his actions not matter as much, and in effect, because I identify with the Master Chief, made me feel as if I was less important to the story. Halo 2 destroyed the franchise for me, because of the addition of the Arbiter and how it broke up the feel of the game for me. Also, I didn't like the weapons. I didn't feel like any weapon had any "punch" at all, nothing like the MA5B in the first game. Pistol was weaker, SMG's sounded like pellet guns, I was dissapointed.

I understand all that stuff about the weapons but the fact is that the Arbiter IS more important in the big picture of things, even though the series "focuses" more on Master Chief. Halo 3 will focus more on the Chief as well, Bungie confirmed, happy now?
AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts

Here's my take on it. Halo 2 did just what a sequel is supposed to do. It expanded on the mythos of the series. In the 1st game, the Covenant was nothing more than generic badguys. The aliens that attack us Humans for the sake of having something to fight. Halo 2 gave us distinct characters from the other side, revealed a great deal more about their society, the relations between different factions and races, the polotics, and showed that they aren't as unified and single minded as most other alien civilizations in general sci-fi. In other words, they have their own political and social conflicts, they aren't that much different from us. The coveneant went from being those generic alien bad guys, to fleshed out, both as people and as a civilization, making them much more interesting as an enemy because they became more real and had depth. On top of that we have the introduction of Gravemind, which adds some new element to the Flood.

And this seems like a good place to share my Halo 3 predictions.

DON'T READ IF YOU DON'T WANT POTENTIAL SPOILERS

First looking at the facts we know:

* When the covenant come to earth, they aren't expecting to find us Humans there. They didn't know Earth is our Homeworld.

* They came looking for something else, at the time not known what.

* Even though preventing the Delta Halo from activating, a signal is still sent into deep space. All the other Halol installations are on standby. The monitor says the only way all can be actually activated, is by the Ark. Arbiter asks where this Ark is, and the scene shifts just as the Monitor is about to answer....

Now there's the E3 trailer, MC standing on a cliff as a Coveneant fleet converges on a point in a barren flatlands. Then the massive portal opens from the ground, clearly a forerunner structure. Where does this all lead?

My conclusion is that the massive portal isn't located on a Halo, it's on Earth (probably Africa), it is the Ark that the Monitor spoke of. That is what the Covenant fleet came looking for, probably not knowing what it really is just as they don't understand the Rings true purpose. The implications of this?

That Earth has a connection to the Forerunners, just as the Covenant do. And while the Covenant may consider us Humans an affront to their gods (as described in the Halo 1 manual briefing the opening of the game), both civilizations have some long lost connection to one another.

Oh and of course you can see how Halo 2 was leading up to Chief and the Arbiter joining forces in a cooperative effort.

donalbane

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 donalbane
[QUOTE="donalbane"] And didn't Bungie admit that they disliked how Halo 2 turned out because it was rushed? Spartan070
They admitted it was rushed and therefore not as good as it should have been but they are still happy with the product. "It could have been better" does not mean "it was not good."

Well they didn't say that about the 1st one. And I can see why. That's all I'm saying.
Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 Spartan070

The coveneant went from being those generic alien bad guys, to fleshed out, both as people and as a civilization, making them much more interesting as an enemy because they became more real and had depth. On top of that we have the introduction of Gravemind, which adds some new element to the Flood.

AdobeArtist

Exactly!  How people think this is a bad idea is beyond me.  I guess people are upset that Halo now has substance to the story, that's why they bash the story I guess.:?

rykaziel

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 rykaziel
Member since 2003 • 1149 Posts

I enjoyed the story, and I know that the story in Halo 2 adds multiple layers and expands the universe tremendously, but I just didn't like how it was done. The story in Halo 2 is much more interesting, but the fact of the matter is I just didn't care about the Arbiter missions, which, as you said, were the most important missions in the story. I was rushing through them just trying to get the point where I could play as the MC again.

I happen to think that Gravemind is the most interesting/important character in the series right now because of what he knows regarding the Forerunner, and what he does with Cortana and her capabilities. I can't wait to play the game to see what happens, but I can say that I'm disappointed knowing that I have to play as the Arbiter. I'd honestly just like to see him in a few cutscenes explaining what he was doing, and what was happening within the Covenant, but I know that since he was playable in 2, he will have to be in 3.

Sheepdisease

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Sheepdisease
Member since 2006 • 343 Posts
I'm the other way round.  I hated Halo CE; it was repetitive, the ending (on normal) was poor (infact I wouldn't even call it an ending) and the xbox one ran at like 20-25fps.  On the other hand I enjoyed Halo 2 and still play it online from time to time.
Puckhog04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 Puckhog04
Member since 2003 • 22814 Posts
Halo PC is better than both.
Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#45 Spartan070

I enjoyed the story, and I know that the story in Halo 2 adds multiple layers and expands the universe tremendously, but I just didn't like how it was done. The story in Halo 2 is much more interesting, but the fact of the matter is I just didn't care about the Arbiter missions, which, as you said, were the most important missions in the story. I was rushing through them just trying to get the point where I could play as the MC again.

I happen to think that Gravemind is the most interesting/important character in the series right now because of what he knows regarding the Forerunner, and what he does with Cortana and her capabilities. I can't wait to play the game to see what happens, but I can say that I'm disappointed knowing that I have to play as the Arbiter. I'd honestly just like to see him in a few cutscenes explaining what he was doing, and what was happening within the Covenant, but I know that since he was playable in 2, he will have to be in 3.

rykaziel
Good post and just so you know Bungie hasn't confirmed that the Arbiter will be playable, although he probably will be.:P Agreed on Gravemind, my new 5 most important are Cortana, the Arbiter, Gravemind, John and Dr. Catherine Halsey.
Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#46 Spartan070
Halo PC is better than both. Puckhog04
You do realize that "Halo PC" falls into the "Halo C.E" category right? Oh, you were just trolling the PC, ok....
Puckhog04

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#47 Puckhog04
Member since 2003 • 22814 Posts

[QUOTE="Puckhog04"]Halo PC is better than both. Spartan070
You do realize that "Halo PC" falls into the "Halo C.E" category right? Oh, you were just trolling the PC, ok....

I know it does, just felt like saying it. Heh, don't take it personally...

Spartan070

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#48 Spartan070

[QUOTE="Spartan070"][QUOTE="Puckhog04"]Halo PC is better than both. Puckhog04

I didn't:P I just enjoy quips and subtle joshing.:D
AdobeArtist

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#49 AdobeArtist  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25184 Posts
[QUOTE="Puckhog04"]

[QUOTE="Spartan070"][QUOTE="Puckhog04"]Halo PC is better than both. Spartan070

What would System Wars be without sabre rattling? lol :P 

musicalmac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 15

User Lists: 1

#50 musicalmac  Moderator
Member since 2006 • 25098 Posts
[QUOTE="Spartan070"][QUOTE="Puckhog04"]

[QUOTE="Spartan070"][QUOTE="Puckhog04"]Halo PC is better than both. AdobeArtist

What would System Wars be without sabre rattling? lol :P 

Boring!