How would you feel about a $399 xbox one (link) old news

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Edited by Bishop1310 (874 posts) -

http://www.xblafans.com/source-xbox-one-getting-cheaper-sku-white-version-in-2014-73801.html

Personally if they have to cut the blu ray player to get it to that price, well that's just not acceptable. Could they cut kinect instead? Or has kinect become too integrated into the sysem? The internet is not ready for all digital systems with huge downloads and download time.

#2 Posted by aroxx_ab (9080 posts) -

Just remove kinect and they can have that price:P

#3 Edited by _Matt_ (8737 posts) -

I would rather have a model with no Kinect, but eh., cheaper model is still good.

#4 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (6544 posts) -

No thanks.

#5 Posted by Bishop1310 (874 posts) -

@_Matt_: do you own one already? if not would it encourage you to buy one?

#6 Posted by Phreek300 (159 posts) -

It would help sway me if they dropped Kinect. I seriously abhor motion controls in general. I never liked them. But, to really sway me they need to have a great line up of exclusives. A lower price would just be icing on the cake. TBH the PS4 has slim pickings too. But, I know the future games will great. Thats the reason I bought it soo early. I have a fair amount of backlog that I need to burn through as is. So that is just barely acceptable to me.

#7 Posted by _Matt_ (8737 posts) -

@_Matt_: do you own one already? if not would it encourage you to buy one?

I do not have one yet no, I want one, but I am waiting for the right time.

A cheaper model would certainly encourage me to buy sooner; but I would rather they sacrificed the Kinect than the BD drive, since I like to have disc games still.

Any cheaper model is better than no cheaper model though.

#8 Posted by silversix_ (13427 posts) -

An underpowered system should be sold for lower than its competition. 299.99 would be a good start.

#9 Edited by Maddie_Larkin (6164 posts) -

at 400$ I would have far less issues with the X1 tbh, although the main reasons I did not buy one have Little to do with pricepoint, but rather the overall vision they had for that console did and does not sit well with me.

#10 Posted by KittenNose (351 posts) -

http://www.xblafans.com/source-xbox-one-getting-cheaper-sku-white-version-in-2014-73801.html

Personally if they have to cut the blu ray player to get it to that price, well that's just not acceptable. Could they cut kinect instead? Or has kinect become too integrated into the sysem? The internet is not ready for all digital systems with huge downloads and download time.

Your internet might not be, but millions of people already use Steam to access most of their games. Is a diskless console for everyone? No, but I do not see why people who have the option shouldn't have access to it. It isn't like previous consoles haven't had different tiers for different gamers.

#11 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16384 posts) -

Only way I would be interested in an X1 is if they released it without Kinect for $299.

#12 Posted by hoyalawya (327 posts) -

They are willing to cut the Blu-Ray player not primarily to reduce the component cost but to ensure that the console can generate sufficient revenues down the road. The Blu-Ray drive probably costs less $30 in parts. However, with no Blu-Ray drive, users will need to buy games digitally (no possibility of used games) and will most likely subscribe to Live.

#13 Posted by Bishop1310 (874 posts) -

@kittennose: fair enough. I am a big user of steam and have quite a few games on steam. If digital games can be purchased at a decent discount and the hard drives are huge I'd consider one.

#14 Posted by Heil68 (42461 posts) -

I would rather of had them cut Kinect(lol)

#15 Edited by charizard1605 (54092 posts) -

I'd buy an Xbox One at $400. I wouldn't mind it if they cut out the disc drive (although I would rather they cut out Kinect, but I wouldn' lose sleep over it).

#16 Posted by treedoor (7478 posts) -

I don't want a download-only console from Microsoft, Sony, or Nintendo.

That sounds awful dealing with any of their policies, practices, or prices.

#17 Posted by mbrockway (3339 posts) -

Navigating the PS3 past purchases is awful. No sorting, just a giant list that includes demos and videos and dlc. XBone doesn't have an upgradeable drive. Constantly deleting and redownloading games to save space. Has XBox live ever had the true equivalent of the Steam sale? I'm surprised MS doesn't go down to $300 for a BD free console, the guaranteed profits down the road for 3rd parties would be a big plus. They could kill used sales just like that. It would be pretty much what MS offered at E3 before getting shouted down by consumers.

#18 Posted by hoyalawya (327 posts) -

@mbrockway The Xbox One will feature external storage via a USB3 port. USB3 should have quick enough bandwidth to play games installed on external hard drive. The feature will come later in an update.

#19 Posted by Dire_Weasel (15846 posts) -

I know it's not likely, but I'm holding out for a Kinect-Free Xbox One SKU.

An Xbox One without a Blu-ray drive is a terrible idea ... you'd have to buy new games directly from Microsoft digitally and in the long run that would cost you more than the initial $100 you saved.

#20 Posted by shawn30 (4250 posts) -

Sell at a loss, keep Kinect as its a big reason why I enjoy the system as much as I do. If people want to disconnect there's thats fine. no big deal. But for me and my pals, all gamers in their mid 30's, we all don't even want a XBOX One without Kinect. Seriously, the voice and facial login and hands free navigation of the system and apps appeals to me and my buds alot. So the price needs to be 399, that much we can all agree on. But do not drop Kinect MS. Just let those that don't want it leave it in the box.

#21 Posted by osirisx3 (1673 posts) -

still weaker and a much bigger machine to boot so no thanks

#22 Posted by CrownKingArthur (3511 posts) -

its a funny topic for me. seriously - i think the consumer and developers get the best deal when there are no used games. as a consumer - i certainly feel that way.

but to jump into an ecosystem with a track record for higher prices than my current ecosystem, and to be locked into one piece of hardware - this doesn't gel well with me.

so, in summary - yes a discless xbox one sku could be good, it appeals to me because I no longer need optical drives. but, the key thing microsoft needs is a track record of excellent pricing on digital games - and also a fair refund policy. unfortunately, microsoft will have to earn such a reputation and so far i'm unimpressed.

the best they've done for me is sell me dark souls on xbox 360 for about ten dollars, this was in a recent sale, a pretty good start. but that's one good transaction in years and years. anyway like i said in another post, christmas 2015 is when i think these consoles will finally establish themselves, will be interesting to see how i feel about the ms ecosystem by then.

#23 Posted by mbrockway (3339 posts) -

@mbrockway The Xbox One will feature external storage via a USB3 port. USB3 should have quick enough bandwidth to play games installed on external hard drive. The feature will come later in an update.

That makes it slightly less stupid then. I've got a couple portable 2tb usb drives laying around. $399 is still a rip off for a console that can't play used or discounted retail games.