How should Batman continue in video game form?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

uninspiredcup

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 86

User Lists: 2

#1  Edited By uninspiredcup
Member since 2013 • 58929 Posts

My cherubs, the popular superhero character "Batman", is a well known and loved global brand consumers gobble up, creating billions. Hugely popular in various forms of media, movies such as "Batman And Robin" became specifically designed to sell toys,

Likewise, before Christopher Nolan could finish his Lambert and Butler, the character was already rebooted with that man who was in that music video that time when he dated that Jennifer Lopez lady.

By that same token, it seems obligatory to presume Batman will continue to exist in some form after Rocksteady.

Batman
Batman

How should history proceed?

k--m--k

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 41

User Lists: 0

#2 k--m--k
Member since 2007 • 2799 Posts

What?

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

In the inevitable reboot I hope he kills people when NECESSARY.

Like the Bat-Tank doesn't kill anybody in AK. You're not fooling me.

Telekill

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4 Telekill
Member since 2003 • 12061 Posts

Batman needs a break from both games and movies.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#5  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

maybe a Telltale adventure or few, I'd be down

maybe an Arkham Asylum/City/Origins collection for PS4/XBO

if anything were a safe bet though, expect another edition of Arkham Knight with all DLC in a year, just like Shadow of Mordor got

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#6 ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

@k--m--k said:

What?

2Deep4U

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#7 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:
@k--m--k said:

What?

2Deep4U

The Title of the thread and the OP where like a Performance art piece post.

<Still using him.

MlauTheDaft

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8  Edited By MlauTheDaft
Member since 2011 • 5189 Posts

They can work off the new movies. Batfleck is batass.

Edit: Not sure if I'm answering the OT, because it felt like reading Klingon.

Editedit: Almost missed a pun.

TheEroica

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#9 TheEroica  Moderator
Member since 2009 • 22669 Posts

The arkham games have been less impressive with each iteration to me... Not to say their not deserving praise for their scope and execution (unless you're part of the master race and must deal with a gimped version)

I just don't have any interest in returning unless they get back to a tighter focus like asylum. I'm not a believer that just because a game is bigger it's better... Asylum was just right.

In the future, I'd be ok with a complete move away from the formula and give us something different.

Avatar image for deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
deactivated-5ac102a4472fe

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 deactivated-5ac102a4472fe
Member since 2007 • 7431 Posts

I don't think it is a question of "how" but rather "should it"

I really liked Arkham Asylum, I also liked City, but something were lost in translation, Origins were not rocksteady, might have been part of the reason it felt tired, and Arkham Knight does feel very tired, good ideas, but the execution not that great tbh.

If we see more Batman games, I would want to have more crime solving in it, and less beating up every living being within a 5 mile radius. To that end they would need to have people in the city. Non criminal people. A living Arkham City would be neat.

Basicly I am saying that the Batman games are overly focused on violence, which is sad considering that we are dealing with the Worlds best detective here. And while I bought the Asylum being taken over, the Whole city being evacuated... 3 times? is too much.

I like the combat in the rocksteadys Batman games, but they leave so Little else, and atleast you had some nice traversion in Asylum (no I do not think we had the same in city and beyond).

Ideally they would stop with Batman, giving the character a break.

If not, then a populated Gotham, with more focuc on solving the crimes, and perhaps a look at how it is to be Bruce Wayne aswell.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By ConanTheStoner
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

@Ant_17:

lol you might as well downsize that gif and make it your sig.

Anyways.

Ant_17

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12 Ant_17
Member since 2005 • 13634 Posts

@ConanTheStoner:But then i have to post dumb stuf like "read my sig"

Avatar image for TheShadowLord07
TheShadowLord07

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 TheShadowLord07
Member since 2006 • 23083 Posts

Platinum Games seems to be the answer to everything, so maybe them? Even have the game's story written by their team.

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#14  Edited By foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@Boddicker said:

Batman doesn't kill. I'm pretty sure he never has outside of alternate universes.

And the Bat-Tank was shoehorned in for the sake of having it, so they had to contextualize it.

--

As for the topic at hand, Rocksteady already perfected the Batman universe in game form with Arkham City. Adding in anything else beyond what technical limitations currently impose on it (i.e. the inability to create a world where there are actual citizens in it) is going to be impossible at this point without a stupidly high budget and long production schedule.

Batman should just take a break despite being such a successful franchise. It will suffer from fatigue with any new installments. Hell, I'm already fatigued after Origins and am waiting quite contentedly for the GOTY Edition of Knight, so anything new is just going to stretch the IP really thin.

What I think WB Games should do is maybe create some Batman games in different genres... i.e. a point-n-click adventure/detective game with a strong narrative rather than action-heavy. Focus on the gamers who like to move at their own pace and use some brain power while playing a game.

gameofthering

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15 gameofthering
Member since 2004 • 11286 Posts

@TheEroica: Yeah, they should go back to having a more focused game like Asylum.

drinkerofjuice

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 20

#16 drinkerofjuice
Member since 2007 • 4567 Posts

Batman should take a break for a while. A few years at least.

These properties need room to breathe. You guys bitch so much about franchises being milked. Asking for more right now would be milkage.

Avatar image for deactivated-5b1e62582e305
deactivated-5b1e62582e305

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#17 deactivated-5b1e62582e305
Member since 2004 • 30778 Posts

@foxhound_fox said:
@Boddicker said:

Batman doesn't kill. I'm pretty sure he never has outside of alternate universes.

He's killed people in the Burton movies. Do those count?

Skelly34

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18  Edited By Skelly34
Member since 2015 • 2353 Posts

Preferably in the form of a game that is not incredibly boring and tedious to play. Perhaps with less than 80% of the game being collectibles.

Video related:

Loading Video...

foxhound_fox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 foxhound_fox
Member since 2005 • 98532 Posts

@Aljosa23 said:
@foxhound_fox said:
@Boddicker said:

He's killed people in the Burton movies. Do those count?

That would be alternate. All comic movie universes are separate to the main continuity.

i.e. Earth-616 for Marvel and New Earth for DC.

Although, I haven't been keeping up as much with DC now, and apparently there is an ongoing event that has New Earth interacting with other universes.

It's really complicated comic shit that I don't have the time for. I just am a little OCD about consistency with regards to what is and what is not "canon" (I like to stick with "canon" for the sake of not having to know absolutely everything about something, like a new character or something). I'm a comic book nerd, but I'm not one of those Sheldon Cooper type of people that can recall the entire history of the comics down to the page number of a particular volume.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#20 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

I don't think it should.

nethernova

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 nethernova
Member since 2008 • 5721 Posts

I want a Batman kart racing game.

Cloud_imperium

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 103

User Lists: 8

#22  Edited By Cloud_imperium
Member since 2013 • 15146 Posts

Batman Moba. Lol.

Alucard_Prime

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#23  Edited By Alucard_Prime
Member since 2008 • 10107 Posts

Something different, so a TellTale-style cinematic type game would be good, or something that focuses on an online experience , such as a 4 player side-scrolling beat-em up adventure , similar to Streets of Rage or Batman Returns on SNES(should have a great story too and could be played single player too).

Edit: I'm not saying the games should become like that moving forward, but just a lower profile type of game before we get another RockSteady type AAA title again.

Mr_Huggles_dog

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#24  Edited By Mr_Huggles_dog
Member since 2014 • 7805 Posts

Rocksteady should do a Superman game.

Batman should take a break....even though the Batman Arkham trilogy was great.

so_hai

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 89

#25 so_hai
Member since 2007 • 4385 Posts

Send it back to the comic books where it belongs.

finalfantasy94

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 finalfantasy94
Member since 2004 • 27442 Posts

People were waiting for a good batman game for a long time and we got like 4. Its time to give another superhero a shot.

Vaasman

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#27 Vaasman
Member since 2008 • 15569 Posts

RTS

A-new-Guardian

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 A-new-Guardian
Member since 2015 • 2458 Posts

A VR game

jg4xchamp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#29 jg4xchamp
Member since 2006 • 64037 Posts

Take a mother fucking break and realize they made the most Batman ass Batman games ever.

Unless someone finds a way to properly convey a more interesting and compelling Batman storyline, and can fucking do it with their gameplay and not fucking cutscenes, what more do I want from a Batman game at this point? That combat that has been aped and frankly done worse consistently than what Rocksteady does, but it actually fits Batman, yes maybe they could make better animations, they can get rid of that whiff shit that happens here and there, but all around they found a great way to make having Batman kick everyones ass and make it look easy, actually easy and accessible, but gave it just enough nuance here and there between the gadgets, the enemy types, and the rhythm based nature of the gameplay to actually have combat satisfying. Not God Hand or Ninja Gaiden satisfying, but lots of things aren't that fucking good.

The predator stuff maybe is where this series could do major shifts in, as the challenge rooms as artificial as they are actually task you with being a bit creative with your arsenal, the encounters in the games, even on hard? not so much. And tying them to a grinding loop of finding hundreds of collectibles because it fills up your EXP bar isn't actually all that legit. Great use of the riddler in Asylum and City, horrible in Knight. While we're at it Rocksteady did an atrocious job with (don't click this if you don't want to be spoiled) Hush, Azreal, and fucking Jason Todd.

But I digress, the idea of Be The Batman, they fucking nailed it 3 god damn times (not so much with Origins). One of their games happens to be a damn good piece of game design (Arkham City), and their first outing is almost a sublime take on Metroid design if it wasn't for a sloppy 2nd half. So purely gameplay creativity is concerned that series peaked, two Batman games ago. Narrative wise, even as bad AK's ending is, it should be the ending. This is a thing even comic book cats don't get, a story line that goes on forever is on some level a pretty poor story. At some point you need some resolution. Rocksteady decided to choke on that end instead, but I'll still take that over Arkham game #5.

tushar172787

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#30 tushar172787
Member since 2015 • 2561 Posts

they should make a 'freemium" game on mobile.. kids would download it, spend loads of parent's $$$ on it, and not give a **** about whether it's broken or not... 10$ FOR THE MASK 100$ FOR THE BATMOBILE 50$ FOR THE SUIT, 150$ FOR THE VILLIAN TO SHOW UP...

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31  Edited By Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

Not for a while, it's Spider-Mans turn now.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

@jg4xchamp said:

Take a mother fucking break and realize they made the most Batman ass Batman games ever.

My only real gripe with the new ones is the constant stop and start qtes, and were overly cinematic(cinematic walking). Best Batman game ever would be this one...

Loading Video...

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#33 HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13664 Posts

Warner Bros Montreal should take over, they made the last good one.

Avatar image for deactivated-58ce94803a170
deactivated-58ce94803a170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#34  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170
Member since 2015 • 8822 Posts

We need another Batman The Brave and the Bold game. Lets get back to making Batman for kids to enjoy. No more of this rated R makes your nose bleed Batman, its time to switch it up. Also if they make another Batman game using that same damn engine im gone cry.

waahahah

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

User Lists: 5

#35  Edited By waahahah
Member since 2014 • 2462 Posts

@Maddie_Larkin said:

I don't think it is a question of "how" but rather "should it"

I really liked Arkham Asylum, I also liked City, but something were lost in translation, Origins were not rocksteady, might have been part of the reason it felt tired, and Arkham Knight does feel very tired, good ideas, but the execution not that great tbh.

If we see more Batman games, I would want to have more crime solving in it, and less beating up every living being within a 5 mile radius. To that end they would need to have people in the city. Non criminal people. A living Arkham City would be neat.

Basicly I am saying that the Batman games are overly focused on violence, which is sad considering that we are dealing with the Worlds best detective here. And while I bought the Asylum being taken over, the Whole city being evacuated... 3 times? is too much.

I like the combat in the rocksteadys Batman games, but they leave so Little else, and atleast you had some nice traversion in Asylum (no I do not think we had the same in city and beyond).

Ideally they would stop with Batman, giving the character a break.

If not, then a populated Gotham, with more focuc on solving the crimes, and perhaps a look at how it is to be Bruce Wayne aswell.

I like this, I wouldn't mind if they did something like dead rising where, theres a limited number of time, and things progressively got worse if you failed at events and was actually really difficult to succeed at all of them.

R10nu

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 R10nu
Member since 2006 • 1679 Posts

@Cloud_imperium said:

Batman Moba. Lol.

Loading Video...

Basinboy

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 19

#37 Basinboy
Member since 2003 • 14495 Posts

Needs a break more than anything but a reboot is in line. I still am particular toward Batman Beyond and would be interested to see if a futuristic Batman could work.

Avatar image for deactivated-5d68555a05c4b
deactivated-5d68555a05c4b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 deactivated-5d68555a05c4b
Member since 2015 • 1024 Posts

They shouldn't I love batman was much as the next guy, but he needs a break, in general, movies and games.

Pikminmaniac

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#39  Edited By Pikminmaniac
Member since 2006 • 11513 Posts

There should be a break now. Besides, I can't see Arkham City being topped. They took Asylum and just made every single thing about it 10x better. It was all about the Riddler trophies/puzzles and challenge maps for me.

PcGamingRig

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40 PcGamingRig
Member since 2009 • 7386 Posts

I'd like to see an animated one.

But with WB at the helm i would rather it got left alone. Now that it has had big games the milking will no doubt begin. I guarantee more games in the form of the Arkham series will come, even without Rocksteady.

locopatho

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 locopatho
Member since 2003 • 24259 Posts

It should stop now, 2 brilliant 7th gen games, Origins which is kinda spin offy, and a well recieved 8th gen game. It's enough.

More to the point is what should Rocksteady do next? Their name suggests to me a FUCKING TURTLES GAME :D

Litchie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42  Edited By Litchie
Member since 2003 • 34600 Posts

No idea, but a 2D Batman would be awesome.

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#43 Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

I just finished Arkham Knight a few days ago and that was such an underwhelming finale for the series but i think Batman should take a long break now