How powerful will Nintendo's next-gen handheld be?

• 60 results
Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 3

#51  Edited By deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts
@emgesp said:

Actually Nvidia showed half precision performance for the X1. Single precision performance is still more powerful than the Wii U's GPU.

Ah yeah that's what I meant, my lol.+ We actually don't even have the specs of the Wii U gpu, but it's probably on par with 360's Xenos. Wii U's main advantage over it is RAM.

I just know Nvidia makes exaggerated claims when it comes to their mobile chips. They said their chips exceeded console graphics (7th gen) for years in a row even before the X1, they're full of it.

It *might* be more or less on par with Xenos, provided it has the full wattage to use (which would suck up battery life like a vaccum), but it's certainly not going to be 2x or be that much better.

Hell, back in 09-10 mobile tech was around Wii's level, forget about ps3/xbox 360.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 0

#52  Edited By emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

@Chozofication said:
@emgesp said:

Actually Nvidia showed half precision performance for the X1. Single precision performance is still more powerful than the Wii U's GPU.

Ah yeah that's what I meant, my lol.+ We actually don't even have the specs of the Wii U gpu, but it's probably on par with 360's Xenos. Wii U's main advantage over it is RAM.

I just know Nvidia makes exaggerated claims when it comes to their mobile chips. They said their chips exceeded console graphics (7th gen) for years in a row even before the X1, they're full of it.

It *might* be more or less on par with Xenos, provided it has the full wattage to use (which would suck up battery life like a vaccum), but it's certainly not going to be 2x or be that much better.

Hell, back in 09-10 mobile tech was around Wii's level, forget about ps3/xbox 360.

The Wii U's current GPU consumes around only 15 - 20 watts. That is on a 45nm process. The Nvidia X1 will consume around 10 watts and is on a 20nm process, so it is a much more efficient design than the Wii U's GPU. The Maxwell architecture is damn impressive when it comes to per watt performance.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#53  Edited By deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

@emgesp said:

@Chozofication said:
@emgesp said:

The Wii U's current GPU consumes around only 15 - 20 watts. That is on a 45nm process. The Nvidia X1 will consume around 10 watts and is on a 20nm process, so it is a much more efficient design than the Wii U's GPU.

That is true.

But again with these mobile chips you gotta wait and see if the claims stack up. I'm interested to see what the chip can do, for sure. And that is quite a lot of juice for mobile, that will be a battery hog and run hot, it may have to be cut down for certain devices.

emgesp

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#54  Edited By emgesp
Member since 2004 • 7848 Posts

@Chozofication said:

@emgesp said:

@Chozofication said:
@emgesp said:

The Wii U's current GPU consumes around only 15 - 20 watts. That is on a 45nm process. The Nvidia X1 will consume around 10 watts and is on a 20nm process, so it is a much more efficient design than the Wii U's GPU.

That is true.

But again with these mobile chips you gotta wait and see if the claims stack up. I'm interested to see what the chip can do, for sure. And that is quite a lot of juice for mobile, that will be a battery hog and run hot, it may have to be cut down for certain devices.

Most importantly which developers will actually take full advantage of such a chip.

I would be happy if Nintendo's next handheld could manage to get a mobile chip on par with the older Tegra K1. That chip is still a good deal more powerful than the PowerVR SGX543MP4+ found in the Vita.

KungfuKitten

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 42

#55 KungfuKitten
Member since 2006 • 27389 Posts

So powerful that it will feel comfortably warm in your hands.

DaVillain

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#56 DaVillain  Moderator
Member since 2014 • 56091 Posts

@charizard1605 said:

You know, discussing how powerful their consoles might be actually even makes sense, the hardware used is actually fairly important for the console market, but I think I speak for everyone when I say: no one gives a **** how powerful their next handheld will be. As long ass it continues to get the games like the Gameboy, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance, DS, and 3DS did, people will be fine with it, and that's what matters.

This is the correct answer. Also I'm not looking for a raw power handheld, [Sony tried this and failed] I'm looking for software games that are fun while I'm on my way to work and at work to play my handheld. To be honest, I'm happy where were at with the 3DS. I'm in no mood to buy a next-gen hendheld other then N3DS and there 3DS games are okay to me.

PurpleMan5000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#57 PurpleMan5000
Member since 2011 • 10531 Posts

@davillain- said:

@charizard1605 said:

You know, discussing how powerful their consoles might be actually even makes sense, the hardware used is actually fairly important for the console market, but I think I speak for everyone when I say: no one gives a **** how powerful their next handheld will be. As long ass it continues to get the games like the Gameboy, Gameboy Color, Gameboy Advance, DS, and 3DS did, people will be fine with it, and that's what matters.

This is the correct answer. Also I'm not looking for a raw power handheld, [Sony tried this and failed] I'm looking for software games that are fun while I'm on my way to work and at work to play my handheld. To be honest, I'm happy where were at with the 3DS. I'm in no mood to buy a next-gen hendheld other then N3DS and there 3DS games are okay to me.

Would you honestly not have preferred the Vita being Nintendo's product, though? Both launched for $250. Nintendo's product had a lot of extra features like 2 screens and 3D to drive up the price. The Vita hardware with Nintendo's library would have been the best of both worlds.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#58 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

not more powerful than the Vita, that's for sure seeing how much Nintendo drag their feet when it comes to HW.

osan0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#59 osan0
Member since 2004 • 17813 Posts

i wouldnt be expecting anything much more powerful than the vita. any extra horsepower will be there more so that nintendo can deliver a consistent framerate at native res in all their games. i think itll be around the same res as the vitas screen also.

the focus will be on battery life, heat generated over sustained usage (getting as hot as some phones is not acceptable) and choosing hardware that makes it as easy as possible to move assets and tech between it, the wiiu and the wiius successor. the cost of development on such hardware will also be a major factor. it cant cost stupid money to make games for the device. a big game on the 3DS is around 4million to produce i think. it cant get much higher than that.

anyone hoping for something like an X1 or the latest snapdragon will be dissapointed.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#60 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

@charizard1605: 240p is absolute horseshit