How much of a waste is the PS Vita?

• 72 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

User Lists: 0

#1  Edited By Bigboi500
Member since 2007 • 35550 Posts

Sony spent so much money developing the system, adding nice tech and such... but for what? Is there any game that takes advantage of the hardware? I don't mean feature-wise I mean graphically.

Why did they even bother making the system to just throw in the towel so easily?

BldgIrsh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 5

#2 BldgIrsh
Member since 2014 • 3044 Posts

How much does it weigh? It's that much of a waste.

KBFloYd

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#3 KBFloYd
Member since 2009 • 22714 Posts

oh boy here we go again..

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By Bigboi500

Can you imagine the great handheld games that would have been possible if Sony handled things differently? Vita has to be the least company supported system ever.

Avatar image for ninjapirate2000
ninjapirate2000

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

#5 ninjapirate2000
Member since 2008 • 3347 Posts

Vita means life.

yokofox33

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 13

#6 yokofox33
Member since 2004 • 30775 Posts

Vita is love. Vita is life.

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#7  Edited By santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

@ninjapirate2000 said:

Vita means life.

#vitameanslife

With all the attention it gets from trolls around here it must be doing something good...

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#8 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

lolvita

hehe101

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 9

#10 hehe101
Member since 2011 • 734 Posts

flop

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 1

#11 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

A huge waste of potential.

It's just a shame Nintendo decided to lay an egg with their handheld this generation as well.

commander

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 11

#12 commander
Member since 2010 • 16217 Posts

@Bigboi500 said:

Sony spent so much money developing the system, adding nice tech and such... but for what? Is there any game that takes advantage of the hardware? I don't mean feature-wise I mean graphically.

Why did they even bother making the system to just throw in the towel so easily?

everything with the name sony on it, is a waste

B4X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By B4X
Member since 2014 • 5660 Posts

@Bigboi500 said:

I'm still wondering why they didn't add phone support to the Vita...They just bought out Ericson. I thought for damn sure they would have deals with phone services in place..

It think with phone integration the Vita would have been a huge success. Whether these handheld manufactures want to face it or not...You have to challenge the phone market. Sony was primed to do just that. Then they shit in their hand.

People need to be fired still in that company.

Walks into Sprint, ATT, or Verison...has the option to get a Vita for a all in one device...

/boat sailed

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Bigboi500

I don't give a rat's ass about more features. Sony made the damn thing so why couldn't they make games specifically for the Vita with its hardware in mind?

B4X

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#15  Edited By B4X
Member since 2014 • 5660 Posts

@Bigboi500 said:

I don't give a rat's ass about more features. Sony made the damn thing so why couldn't they make games specifically for the Vita with its hardware in mind?

With the Phone feature they may have sold more? A lot more?

More games? Less risk to reward..

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#16  Edited By Blabadon

@Bigboi500 said:

They did

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 Bigboi500

@Blabadon said:

@Bigboi500 said:

They did

A select few that didn't push the hardware in any way. Nothing like what we all hoped for when they announced the system. Looks like they never will either.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts

1.2% more than a WiiU.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Bigboi500

@silversix_ said:

1.2% more than a WiiU.

Unlike Sony, Nintendo is supporting the Wii U.

lostrib

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 lostrib
Member since 2009 • 49999 Posts

@Blabadon said:

Yeah, although I don't know where he gets the idea that there aren't games that push the hardware

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 Bigboi500

@lostrib said:

@Blabadon said:

Yeah, although I don't know where he gets the idea that there aren't games that push the hardware

You mean console ports? I'm not really sure that's what Sony had in mind when designing the Vita hardware.

Avatar image for shadowchronicle
Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 66

#22  Edited By Shadowchronicle
Member since 2008 • 26969 Posts

You can't argue 3DS features are better when a vita hasn't got the games to prove it yet!

@Bigboi500 said:

@lostrib said:

@Blabadon said:

You mean console ports? I'm not really sure that's what Sony had in mind when designing the Vita hardware.

Do you have some vendetta against the vita?

The way you're acting in this topic is as if someone talked about how a vita is better than a 3DS and then you went on the forums to post a topic and rage about it.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23  Edited By Bigboi500

@shadowchronicle said:

You can't argue 3DS features are better when they aren't just because there is no games on the vita.

@Bigboi500 said:

@lostrib said:

@Blabadon said:

Do you have some vendetta against the vita?

The way you're acting in this topic is as if someone talked about how a vita is better than a 3DS and then you went on the forums to post a topic and rage about it.

I own them both. If anything, I'm upset that Sony isn't supporting the Vita properly. You seem way off base on several levels, namely the feature comment. I expressly said features are the least of my concerns about the Vita.

I'm simply trying to discuss the wasted potential of this $200 system I bought. Mostly what I'm getting is "vita means life" idiocy instead of real discussion. Seems some people are in denial about the situation of their dearly beloved handjoy.

silversix_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 silversix_
Member since 2010 • 26347 Posts
@Bigboi500 said:

@lostrib said:

@Blabadon said:

with the yearly Mario. Fun...

Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By Shadowchronicle

>You seem way off base on several levels, namely the feature comment.

I'm fully aware of what both systems can do. But putting aside the games a Vita is obviously better in build quality and graphics. Neither of those matter unless you have video games though. If you want to talk about features and which one is the best at multitasking the Vita definitely beats the 3DS in that category. There's hardly anything that's impressive about a 3DS other than the two screens. Sure you have 3D but it isn't something people are concerned about when they're buying a handheld.

Of course features don't matter when you don't have games because the customer won't use those features unless they actually have interest in the handheld.

Only someone who thinks backwards would think a 3DS has more features. At most, a person can say is that Nintendo made a handheld focused primarily on gaming by sacrificing features.

There's nothing wrong with that seeing as how they focusing on gaming got them the sales.

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 Bigboi500
@shadowchronicle said:
If you want to talk about features

That's the thing, I don't. :P I want to discuss why Sony went to all the trouble to make the system as capable as they did, but then just put ports and indies on it? Why build a race car to just drive it to the grocery store?

Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#27 Shadowchronicle

Oh well that's easy. They thought they were gonna beat other handhelds with a powerhouse. Look at what they do with a PS4, It's the same concept. Part of the problem with them selling handheld devices is they treat them like mini consoles and expect people to buy them.

They don't know how to sell a handheld period.

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28  Edited By inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

@santoron said:

@ninjapirate2000 said:

Vita means life.

#vitameanslife

With all the attention it gets from trolls around here it must be doing something good...

Not even close. It gets attention because it has so much potential that was wasted.

Chocobo_PS2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#29 Chocobo_PS2
Member since 2005 • 81 Posts

Vita is good, it is just western is bad. Looks at ps3 where western develop games only to be single player type games exist on multiplatform which in case I prefer on pc for ssd speed loading and gerenal better framerate. Or multiplayer means trolling/cheating/trashtalking/ddos/blonde stereo-type/play only to get credits from other people and many more. Those thing didn't happen where I play Japan game online unless there is influence of western players, warmongers related especially.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30 Ballroompirate
Member since 2005 • 26695 Posts

@Blabadon said:

It's just a shame Nintendo decided to lay an egg with their handheld this generation as well.

In terms of hardware it failed pretty bad (lol 3D), what saved the 3ds and making it own so much is the amazing games (which we haven't had one in awhile).

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#31 Bigboi500

@shadowchronicle said:

Oh well that's easy. They thought they were gonna beat other handhelds with a powerhouse. Look at what they do with a PS4, It's the same concept. Part of the problem with them selling handheld devices is they treat them like mini consoles and expect people to buy them.

I'm thinking Sony must have been under different management when the Vita development process was happening. Probably the same as during the PSP era. They've since re-structured and cut/sold equity to compensate for so many bad decisions and expenditures. I can't imagine under the current leadership that another handheld system venture will ever see the light of day for Sony.

Shadowchronicle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#32 Shadowchronicle

@Bigboi500 said:

@shadowchronicle said:

I'm thinking Sony must have been under different management when the Vita development process was happening. Probably the same as during the PSP era. They've since re-structured and cut/sold equity to compensate for so many bad decisions and expenditures. I can't imagine under the current leadership that another handheld system venture will ever see the light of day for Sony.

Yeah, this might be the last generation of handhelds. From here on out any new gaming handhelds will probably be phone hybrids of some sort or no handhelds at all. It's pretty dumb but that is the direction we're heading for if people want new features. I remember saying this a couple of years ago and people thought what I said was ridiculous (probably because they thought I was some apple fanatic or something). I don't really like handheld gaming going down that path but it is pretty evident it will.

I hope Sony doesn't make anymore handhelds though. It seems like they dig themselves in a deeper hole the two times they did it.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 Ballroompirate

@shadowchronicle said:

@Bigboi500 said:

@shadowchronicle said:

Yeah, this might be the last generation of handhelds. From here on out any new gaming handhelds will probably be phone hybrids of some sort or no handhelds at all. It's pretty dumb but that is the direction we're heading for if people want new features. I remember saying this a couple of years ago and people thought what I said was ridiculous (probably because they thought I was some apple fanatic or something). I don't really like handheld gaming going down that path but it is pretty evident it will.

I hope Sony doesn't make anymore handhelds though. It seems like they dig themselves in a deeper hole the two times they did it.

Actually the 3DS is doing pretty well so I still see Nintendo doing handhelds for another 2 gens at the very least. As for Son'y they'll probably throw in the towl since they can't really catch a break in the HH market.

As for cell phones replacing HH's I just don't see it, it's such a niche market it's pretty sad. There's maybe 1 out of 30+ games that actually do well on the android market.

commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#34 commonfate
Member since 2010 • 13320 Posts
@Ballroompirate said:

As for cell phones replacing HH's I just don't see it, it's such a niche market it's pretty sad. There's maybe 1 out of 30+ games that actually do well on the android market.

That seems like an incredibly generous estimate. It's probably a lot worse.

santoron

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#35 santoron
Member since 2006 • 8584 Posts

@inb4uall said:

Not even close. It gets attention because it has so much potential that was wasted.

:|

It's a game player that plays games. Potential fulfilled.

The Vita's attach rate has been insanely good. So obviously the average Vita owner seems to be finding plenty of games they want to play on it.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36  Edited By Blabadon

@Ballroompirate said:

@Blabadon said:

In terms of hardware it failed pretty bad (lol 3D), what saved the 3ds and making it own so much is the amazing games (which we haven't had one in awhile).

The 3DS has like four games I would qualify as great, tops.

Ballroompirate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Ballroompirate

@Blabadon said:

@Ballroompirate said:

@Blabadon said:

The 3DS has like four games I would qualify as great, tops.

I'd say

• Monster Hunter 3 ULT
  • Pokemon X/Y
  • Fire Emblem Awakening
  • Animal Crossing New Leaf
  • LoZ AlbW
  • RE Revelations
  • SMGT IV

Are all worth getting, haven't played Braverly Default so I can't comment on that.

inb4uall

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 inb4uall
Member since 2012 • 6564 Posts

@santoron said:

@inb4uall said:

:|

It's a game player that plays games. Potential fulfilled.

The Vita's attach rate has been insanely good. So obviously the average Vita owner seems to be finding plenty of games they want to play on it.

You're smarter than this.

commonfate

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 commonfate
Member since 2010 • 13320 Posts

It's not about the graphics, it's about the gameplay - swashbuckleyroo

Bigboi500

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#40  Edited By Bigboi500

Ohh kay since this thread is turning into a list wars thread I'll add my two cents on the 3DS and Vita libraries and their great titles so far.

Vita:

LBPV

Gravity Rush

Tearaway

P4G

Ys: Memories of Celceta

Soul Sacrifice

Toukiden: The Age of Demons

3DS:

TLoZ: A Link Between Worlds

Animal Crossing: New Leaf

Shin Megami Tensei IV

Bravely Default

Fire Emblem: Awakening

Pokemon Y

Mario Gold: World Tour

Tom Clancy's Ghost Recon: Shadow Wars

Kid Icarus: Uprising

Tales of the Abyss

Mario Kart 7

Super Mario 3D Land

Rune Factory 4

Mario & Luigi: Dream Team

MortalDecayX

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#41 MortalDecayX
Member since 2013 • 115 Posts

Sigh.... I wish the Vita had better support. The only time I use mine, anymore, is when I use it for remote play. If it wasn't for that, I would have gotten rid of it a long time ago.

Avatar image for deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
deactivated-57ad0e5285d73

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#42 deactivated-57ad0e5285d73
Member since 2009 • 21398 Posts

@Bigboi500 said:

I agree. I think if you were to ask a gamer what a great portable would look like its design would be similar to the Vita. My issue with it is that it sits in that in between area; where it is not small enough and not big enough at the same time. Shrink it down a tad and it becomes more portable, or make it larger since at its current size it really does need a separate bag.

Sony should have taken the risk and added phone functions to the Vita. I wonder if people would have bought it in this case.

Avatar image for SolidGame_basic
SolidGame_basic

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#44 SolidGame_basic  Online
Member since 2003 • 45092 Posts

Vita gets a lot of hate from non-owners. I've had this thing since launch and Sony did showcase the hardware with games like Golden Abyss, Killzone Mercenary, Gravity Rush, LBP, Tearaway, and Soul Sacrifice. The real problem is that people didn't show up to buy the system. That launch year is crucial. Look at PS4 - there aren't any must buy exclusives to get, but because people are buying it, we are in for a great gen.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#46 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts
@Desmonic said:

@Bigboi500 said:

@Bigboi500 said:

A select few that didn't push the hardware in any way. Nothing like what we all hoped for when they announced the system. Looks like they never will either.

Preeeettttyyyyyy sure that Golden Abyss, a launch title, still shits on 95% of other handheld games. Thus there isn't a need to continally push graphics (as it's usually driven by a real need of beating your rival/s).

Liberation and Killzone are on a whole different level than Golden Abyss. These 3 push the hardware decently enough. Granted, the lack of AAA devs/games means that these are few and rare, but it's not like there aren't titles that do try to push the hardware.

------------

The rest are some rethorical questions though. It's not like any of us works at Sony or can explain why they gave up on it so easily (especially coming off the massive effort that was the PS3). It's not like it's a bad system either; as far as hardware is concerned it's literally the best handheld ever built. Unless Yoshida or someone else says anything, I don't think we'll get many answers regardind this.

The reality is that it has a ton of potential and Sony just decided to make it an indie machine (which btw, isn't nearly as bad as it sounds. Rogue Legacy+Minecraft+Spelunky+others on the go? Awesome as ****!).

I think they could turn it around with a much smaller effort than what was needed to do so with the PS3, but for whatever reason they simply aren't interested.

-

Anyway, unrustle your jimmies and enjoy the Master Race. Vita is love, Vita is life! :D

No one's jimmies are being rustled by a system with no games.

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#48 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

@Desmonic said:

@speedfreak48t5p: It sure doesn't seem like that :D If it didn't rustle any jimmies no one would bother to mention it, much like mobile games in SW :D

We like to laugh at things that are jokes/failures. That's why the Vita and mobile gets mentioned so much.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#50 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

I dont feel bad for anyone dumb enough to buy a Vita.