How much impact could the Steam machines have on consoles?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

NoodleFighter

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 NoodleFighter
Member since 2011 • 11803 Posts

14 different machines to chose from currently but ibuypower, Cyberpower PC, Alienware, Zotac will be the best selling ones since they will have the more competitive prices. $500-$600 + $100 for Windows so you get the full PC library, you pay for online on both PS4 and Xbox one so this kinda evens it out.

The current specs of ibuypower and cyberpower already stomp on on consoles and Maxwell and Pirate islands haven't even came out yet this year but when they do they could switch to that hardware or drop the prices with the current hardware.

The advantage with Windows installed besides larger library is being able to use different controllers, Xbox and PS controller will be more suitable for console oriented games, the options of controls doesn't force you to one platform like people that buy Xbox Ones or PS4s only because they like the controller better. Nvidia or intel based Steam machines will provide services like dedicated recording hardware, livestreaming and etc for free. Steam already does everything PSN and XBL do better and free then there are are other stores such as GOG.

The flexible library, you can't play titles such as Don't Starve and Outlast on Xbox One nor can you play Project Spark or Titan Fall on the PS4 however PC gets the advantage of being able to play both titles along with it's own exclusives.

In terms with the Wii U if it's Steam OS only they'd most likely be on par with it or near it. If titles like Killing Floor 2 are real than the steam machines can act as a complimentary system. Sony and M$ may have to start money hatting more PC devs to make the steam machines less appealing, try to push more "deals" for their subscription based online, they won't be able to hide behind the "teh OPTIMIZATION!" since Mantle and OpenGL with Nvidia's extensions are bringing more console style optimization, not really seeing the optimization with SteamOS then again it only supported AMD and Intel till recently and is still going in development before steam machines can be sold. The 8GB ram turned out to be a bust so they have nothing else to hype the power of their console hardware since x86 is familar. Microsoft is trying to claim cloud will make graphics better but that means in order to make the game prettier you'll need to be online.

So what exactly will the PS4, Xbox One, and Wii U whip out to counter attack all this? Uncharted, Infamous, and Halo sure but the Wii U is too spaced out in exclusive offerings, Nintendo is putting too much effort into the 3DS.

nintendoboy16

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 43

User Lists: 14

#2 nintendoboy16
Member since 2007 • 41560 Posts

I don't think it would be a big one.

inggrish

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#3 inggrish
Member since 2005 • 10503 Posts

I think it will barely impact console sales at all. At the end of it, the stream machine is NOT targeted at console gamers, it's targeted at pc gamers who want a more innovative experience when playing in the living room.

The steam Box will not really appeal to console gamers for its power, we already know the consoles are well behind pcs so why would console gamers care about the specs from a steam box?

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#4 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

As a PC gamer, this does not appeal to me at all. I'd rather build myself a gaming HTPC.

VanDammFan

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#5  Edited By VanDammFan
Member since 2009 • 4783 Posts

will have zero impact. They wont be around long enough to matter. AND even if someone buys one,its going to be something they "try" and then sell quickly..

MrYaotubo

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#6 MrYaotubo
Member since 2012 • 2884 Posts

Probably a lot more than what people think.

Gaming-Planet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 14

#7 Gaming-Planet
Member since 2008 • 21064 Posts

@MrYaotubo said:

Probably a lot more than what people think.

It's not pleb proof though.

LegatoSkyheart

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 16

User Lists: 1

#8  Edited By LegatoSkyheart
Member since 2009 • 29733 Posts

Steam Machines will impact Consoles as much as Prebuilt PCs have impacted Consoles.

Avatar image for ShepardCommandr
ShepardCommandr

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

#9 ShepardCommandr
Member since 2013 • 4939 Posts

@LegatoSkyheart said:

Steam Machines will impact Consoles as much as Prebuilt PCs have impacted Consoles.

engineer234

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10  Edited By engineer234
Member since 2009 • 25 Posts

FYI: I made an own thread with a text and video analysis of topics like distribution, production and sales volumes of Steam-Machines:

http://www.gamespot.com/forums/system-wars-314159282/steam-machines-business-analysis-distribution-etc-31025021/#0

English youtube video:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H4xxn58RXfs

German video:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Y_sMD08MM7Y

naz99

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By naz99
Member since 2002 • 2941 Posts

None...and they are not supposed to compete, at least not yet..this is valve and iterative design is what they do and as such just like steam will only get better with time.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#12  Edited By k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

I think valve is going at it wrong. I think they got potential to take a good share of the market if they do it right

crimsonman1245

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13  Edited By crimsonman1245
Member since 2011 • 4253 Posts

If i understand the steam machine correctly, its basically an alienware PC with Valve's name on it.....thats not going to cut into the PS4/Xbox One sales that much.

Peredith

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Peredith
Member since 2011 • 2289 Posts

About as much impact Ouya had, zero.

kuu2

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#15  Edited By kuu2
Member since 2005 • 12063 Posts

This will be the biggest boondoggle that Valve will ever partake in.

These machines are going to flop very badly.

Who are these machines aimed at? Until someone can answer that question I won't be a believer.

Boddicker

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#16  Edited By Boddicker
Member since 2012 • 4458 Posts

@k2theswiss said:

I think valve is going at it wrong. I think they got potential to good share of tue merket if they do it right

100% agree.

If Valve just would have stuck to a $500 baseline model that was UPGRADEABLE then they would have had something. Instead they let 15 different companies piece-meal Steam Machines together from wildly varying parts with equally wildly varying price ranges. With some of the models' reaching the $1000+ price range you have to question just who are they aiming these at?

At this point it's too late I feel for Valve to save the Steam Machine from being a 3DO like epic fail.

HalcyonScarlet

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#18  Edited By HalcyonScarlet
Member since 2011 • 13668 Posts

I think the price is too much of a hindrance to have any affect. Consumers in the console industry aren't willing to pay more than the price of an X1. The X1 only launched at that price because MS knew they were going to slowly bring it down. But the Steam Machine will never go down, it will always have a minimum price of 500.

And getting a low end Steam Machine is a dumb move in gaming, because it's corner cutting. I've learnt that the more you invest in your PC, the longer it'll last.

The problem is, they're trying to move the PC away from the PC, while still keeping it the PC. So they end up going no where.

Also I don't see the point in it, they're trying to bring it to the living room without a Blu Ray drive for media functions. And at the end of the day it's just a capable PC with an OS limiting it to gaming.

Maybe I haven't been paying attention or they haven't communicated the message very well to me.

k2theswiss

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#19 k2theswiss
Member since 2007 • 16599 Posts

@Boddicker said:

@k2theswiss said:

I think valve is going at it wrong. I think they got potential to take a good share of the market if they do it right

100% agree.

If Valve just would have stuck to a $500 baseline model that was UPGRADEABLE then they would have had something. Instead they let 15 different companies piece-meal Steam Machines together from wildly varying parts with equally wildly varying price ranges. With some of the models' reaching the $1000+ price range you have to question just who are they aiming these at?

At this point it's too late I feel for Valve to save the Steam Machine from being a 3DO like epic fail.

yup. It's fine to have the options, but valve needs to REALLY needs to team up with one of the options and support it has their main default choice

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

#20 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38036 Posts

First gen in, I don't see much of an effect. But it could grow over time.