How Much Does the Controller Matter?

• 74 results
#51 Edited by xxyetixx (1384 posts) -

@ReadingRainbow4: Have you used the X1 controller or are you just spouting that from some review you've seen??

X1 controller is amazing and the bumper buttons are perfect you actually just bump them to work them. I go from squeezing the trigger to the slight movement of moving my finger up and in. It's flawless :)

#52 Posted by GoldenElementXL (3905 posts) -

I love the Xbox One controller. I think it's the best thing about the system. I even bought a 3rd to use on my PC. I like it more than the 360 controller even.

The biggest thing I dislike about playing shooters on PS4 is the controller. It feels awkward to me. The triggers are squishy. The analog sticks feel too tall and the controller doesn't fill my hands. Everyone is different though so use what you like.

#53 Posted by Shielder7 (5191 posts) -

Is the DS4 better than the DS3: Yes

Is there much of a difference: No

#54 Edited by starwolf474 (980 posts) -

Controller matters a lot to me and is the most important factor in determining which console I buy my multiplats on.

I have owned every Playstation console from 1 to 4, but I have never bought any multiplats on any of my Playstation consoles because I hate their controllers. The DS4 is a big improvement, but I still hate the analog stick position, so even though the graphics are better on PS4, I'm still choosing to buy my multiplats on Xbox One primarily because it has the better controller.

I'd even go as far as to say that controller is so important to me that it could be a system seller. The reason that I bought the original Xbox was because I held the Controller S at a store and fell in love. And it is the primary reason along with Xbox Live why I bought a Xbox One. I've never been a big fan of Microsoft's exclusives, but I bought a Xbox One to play multiplats on Xbox Live and with my favorite controller.

#55 Edited by SolidTy (45939 posts) -

@hoosier7 said:

I don't understand the issue with the symmetrical analog sticks, symmetry makes absolutely zero difference and if the stick placement is the issue why don't you get problems with the other stick given in FPS these days you're using both constantly?

#56 Posted by SuddenlyTragic (976 posts) -

It matters, but both consoles have good controllers this gen. The past two generations the Xbox controller was so much better that I got pretty much every multiplat on Xbox instead of Playstation (if I didn't get it for PC). However, this gen is a different story because the DS4 is such a dramatic improvement. I hated playing FPS's with the DS3 but I think they nailed it with the DS4. I have no issues playing shooters on a Playstation console now.

#57 Edited by hrt_rulz01 (7149 posts) -

@sHaDyCuBe321 said:

People are consistently talking about the differences in graphical fidelity amongst the One and the PS4. These differences are negligible to me when it comes to choosing which system I buy a multiplat for.

What really matters to me is the controller. While I acknowledge that the DS4 is a marked improvement over the DS3 it's honestly still a POS to me. And it's primarily because of the symmetrical analog sticks. It actually impedes on my ability to enjoy a shooter on a Sony console. The biggest problem is the lack of 3rd party controller on the PS4 because of the touch pad.

Which matters more to you, having the comfort of your controller preference or the graphical fidelity of your multiplatform game? Does it depend on genre or is it universal?

Unless there's a big difference between the 2 versions of a game graphically (which hasn't really been the case yet, maybe except for a couple), then I'll usually go for the XB1 version solely because I like the controller better. Take Destiny for example... I tried the Beta on PS4 and checked out the XB1 version at my cousin's house, and the difference is minimal graphically IMO. So I'll most likely get XB1 version.

As for the DS4, I don't think it's a bad controller at all (it's massively improved over DS3), but after long sessions my hands start to cramp. Doesn't happen with XB1 controller.

#58 Edited by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

Controller isn't that important to me, but that's not to say they can't get it wrong to the point of turning me off of the system (enter the Wii U). For example, I like the 360 controller (own one for my PC) more than the PS3 controller, but I bought the PS3 and not the 360. Games are more important to me.

#59 Posted by sts106mat (20425 posts) -

I really like the X1 controller, it is better than the 360 one. the triggers are better for a start.

But I am surprised just how comfortable the DS4 is though, they really improved it over the DS3. The triggers are still not perfect. I also noticed that when playing the Destiny beta, my thumbs tend to slide around on the analogue sticks quite a bit, which isn't ideal.

#60 Edited by bulby_g (1525 posts) -

I don't really care as I've never used a controller and thought badly enough of it to effect my decision as to what console I want to play a game on. I do like mouse and keyboard for FPS and RTS games though.

#61 Posted by Litchie (16664 posts) -

Quite a lot. I try to stay away from the dualshock as much as I can. Worst controller I've tried.

#62 Posted by T-razor1 (1089 posts) -

@ReadingRainbow4 said:

ds4 is the best next gen controller there is TC.

Xbone completely destroyed the ergonomic feel over the 360's original rounded design, also those bumpers are trash.

It really isn't. I was trying out Destiny on both the PS4 and XOne last night and it just feels better, almost like a glove, when you hold the XOne controller. Also the complaints about the analog placements for the ds4 are verified and even more exposed when you physically are holding and going back and forth between the ds4 and the XOne controller while playing the same game. Yes call me crazy I was going back and forth between my HDMI inputs trying to note and feel the differences while the beta was running for both consoles. Destiny IMO is more enjoyable with the XOne controller hands down. It just doesn't feel right with the ds4 controller.

#63 Edited by SolidGame_basic (19294 posts) -

I love the dualshock 4 controller. I own the ds4, x1 controller, and wii u pro, and ds 4 wins quite comfortably. When it comes to the joystick placement it really doesn't matter much to me, I can do either one.

#64 Posted by ShoTTyMcNaDeS (2723 posts) -

I have been an Xbox owner since day one and one of the big reasons is controller preference. I just have never been able to get comfortable with the Sony DS controller set up! MS did it right and there is a reason that even PC gamers when using a controller prefer the 360 controller. I think the same will happen with the X1 controller as well. Neither of them are perfect, but in my opinion the Xbox style controller get the closest!!

#65 Posted by SecretPolice (23566 posts) -

Yes it's important, Xbox controllers > all others past and present. :P

#66 Posted by sHaDyCuBe321 (4258 posts) -

@AmazonTreeBoa: games are important to me as well but that's why I was exclusively referring to multiplats. I own both but I'd rather get multiplats for the xbox one because of the significant controller differences.

#67 Edited by Lionheart08 (15625 posts) -

Aspects of the controller certainly matter. If the 360 controller had the PS3 directional buttons, it would have been absolute perfection.

#68 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

@sHaDyCuBe321 said:

@AmazonTreeBoa: games are important to me as well but that's why I was exclusively referring to multiplats. I own both but I'd rather get multiplats for the xbox one because of the significant controller differences.

If we are only talking multiplats, then we are only talking PC for me. Guess what...PC can use any controller. I win. Consoles are only good for one thing to me...exclusives.

#69 Posted by Heil68 (47201 posts) -

I loved the DS3 and dominated FPS with it. The DS4 is a remarkable improvement and continues to be the best controller to date.

#70 Posted by sHaDyCuBe321 (4258 posts) -

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@sHaDyCuBe321 said:

If we are only talking multiplats, then we are only talking PC for me. Guess what...PC can use any controller. I win. Consoles are only good for one thing to me...exclusives.

Umm cool for you. There's no "winning" here really. It's all personal preference. I'm not big into PC gaming, but congrats on your victory!

#71 Posted by jsmoke03 (13166 posts) -

controllers really matter to me. I dont have giant hands so my hands cramp easily its why ive never liked any of the xbox controllers until the xb1 (minus the stupid bumper buttons)

its one of the main reasons why sony has always been the first console i buy after exclusive games

#72 Posted by psn8214 (14929 posts) -

Pretty important. I prefer DS4 this gen. Last gen 360 controller all day though, DS3 was absolute garbage.

#73 Posted by YearoftheSnake5 (8161 posts) -

It matters a lot for me. Aside from a library of games I didn't care for, the controller was one of the reasons I skipped the PS3. I hated the Dual Shock ever since it debuted. DS4 finally fixed it for me. I still don't have an interest in getting it, but one of my long running grievances has been addressed.

I wasn't interested in the original Xbox due to its giant controller. When the S came out, Microsoft got me on board. I moved away from Xbox due to other reasons.

#74 Posted by AmazonTreeBoa (16745 posts) -

@sHaDyCuBe321 said:

@AmazonTreeBoa said:

@sHaDyCuBe321 said:

Umm cool for you. There's no "winning" here really. It's all personal preference. I'm not big into PC gaming, but congrats on your victory!

Sarcasm escapes you.

#75 Posted by sHaDyCuBe321 (4258 posts) -

@AmazonTreeBoa: as much as it eludes you my friend. Thus the "congrats on your victory". Just a shot of sarcasm back at ya!