How MS/Sony should've approached disk swapping

This topic is locked from further discussion.

StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 0

#1 StrongDeadlift
Member since 2010 • 6073 Posts

I've had this thread in the back of my head for a while. Or this idea, rather, for years. Two years to be exact. Since the reveal of the consoles, but just never mustered up the energy to post it.

Am I the only one who wishes that both Sony and Microsoft could have came up with a way where installed games don't need the disk in the system to play? Why they couldn't make it somehow so that each disk has two licenses for the game:

1. One license for the right to use the disk itself (which is EXACTLY what happens now),
  2. and then a second "single-use" license in the form of an authentication key watermarked in each disk that when the first owner puts the disk in their console allows them to automatically "activate" it (if they choose) pinning it to their PSN/XBL accounts. It entitles them to a digital copy, and acts exactly like they bought it from PSN/XBL. The game can be played without the disk, and re-downloaded from PSN/XBL at any time, even if they sell the original game.

Only the first owner of the game if they bought it new (and "activated" it) get to do this. They could then trade in the original copy, and the next owner could buy it used, but they would need to have the disk in the system to play it (exactly how it is right now). MS/Sony could also throw in a $10 fee that allows buyers of used games to purchase this extra license and "authenticate" their copies giving them the "right to play without the disc".

And yeah, people would just give the original discs to their friends, but would that really outnumber the plenty of users who would pay that $10 for the convenience alone? People would also be more inclined to buy new instead of used anyways, for this reason, and Sony/MS would get money for doing this (giving them incentive). The only people who would really lose from this is Gamestop.

So does anyone else think MS and Sony should have done this? Or, should do it next gen? I honestly EXPECTED them to do it this gen, prior to the reveals, and was suprised when they didnt.

discuss.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#2 mems_1224
Member since 2004 • 56919 Posts

pretty sure ms tried to do something similar and the internet shit its pants. not gonna happen any time this gen because people are pussies

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#3 darkangel115
Member since 2013 • 4562 Posts

This sounds a lot like MS's original plan

Avatar image for deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 56

#4 deactivated-5d6bb9cb2ee20
Member since 2006 • 82724 Posts

I would have liked that. Mostly because Jesus, I hate switching discs.

StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#5 StrongDeadlift

@mems_1224 said:

pretty sure ms tried to do something similar and the internet shit its pants. not gonna happen any time this gen because people are pussies

What I'm talking about is sans the DRM fuckery. A system like this would have made perfect sense.

StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6  Edited By StrongDeadlift

@charizard1605 said:

This. People say "just get off your fat ass and walk to the tv". When you have lots of games, or dont just want to play one thing, that gets tiresome.

You dont walk to the TV every time you want to change the channel, or watch a different netflix movie, or Youtube video, or switch tabs on your internet browser.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 mems_1224

@StrongDeadlift said:
@mems_1224 said:

What I'm talking about is sans the DRM fuckery. A system like this would have made perfect sense.

I mean, the once a day 24 hour check in isn't that big of a deal. what the **** are you gonna do with an offline console and a digital library?

darkangel115

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#8 darkangel115
Member since 2013 • 4562 Posts

@StrongDeadlift said:
@charizard1605 said:

This. People say "just get off your fat ass and walk to the tv". When you have lots of games, or dont just want to play one thing, that gets tiresome.

You dont walk to the TV every time you want to change the channel, or watch a different netflix movie, or Youtube video, or switch tabs on your internet browser.

@StrongDeadlift said:
@mems_1224 said:

except your plan has DRM in it, I just think you don't understand what DRM is as most people didn't which is why they went full retard when MS announced it.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 6

User Lists: 1

#9 Blabadon
Member since 2008 • 33030 Posts

@mems_1224: Play games, I've been doing it for years with various consoles and handhelds.

Weak argument.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 mems_1224

@Blabadon: so how are you going to download the games or get updates without the internet? Current Gen consoles are already worthless without an online connection.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By Blabadon

@mems_1224: Download them at one point, update when you want. If you're gonna be whiny about it then it'll be an issue, if you're a normal functioning human being it'll be fine.

Also, top lel at defending that shit. Shame on you.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#12 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

@mems_1224 said:
@StrongDeadlift said:
@mems_1224 said:

I mean, the once a day 24 hour check in isn't that big of a deal. what the **** are you gonna do with an offline console and a digital library?

Wow, that's one of the dumbest things i've read on here in a long time. Give yourself a standing ovation for that one.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#13 mems_1224

@Blabadon: you're still not explaining the actual point of having an offline current gen console if you're constantly going to be connecting to the internet.

Blabadon

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Blabadon

@mems_1224: Because you can move the console around and still play whatever you have downloaded whenever, wherever. I do it quite a bit with my PS3. Honestly, you're a master of lazy arguments, but this is especially lazy.

Nice to know you're okay with Draconian policies.

lamprey263

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#15  Edited By lamprey263
Member since 2006 • 44557 Posts

@StrongDeadlift:

This actually seemed what the Xbox One had going for it prior to reveal, which would essential treat Xbox One games like a PC digital game, but with a disc for local installation but would still require an online registration to attach rights to a user account. From that point I don't see it needing to do anything with digital rights differently than Xbox 360 did for premium and XBLA games.

Where I think the DRM and convoluted used game system happened is they reversed course short of the reveal without thinking of a worthwhile solution (in order to have used games), thus the disastrous reveal. 24/hour DRM only really makes sense as a solution to keeping the system discless but allowing for used games, which was just awful on its face. I'd of though the fallout of no used games would have no been as disastrous, but it still would have stung. But, if they'd of argued that AAA developers are dropping like flies in the used game market then maybe things might have gone either way.

If MS wanted a discless system, they should have rather supported strong digital sales. Unfortunately they're flexible sometimes and not at others and it's a rather horrible system that has great sales from time to time but they're non-discounted market prices on games are horrible and nothing ever competes with tangible retail.

There's interestingly enough an active Xbox forum on MS's Xbox website with a surprising amount of feedback support for people who want to exchange physical copies of games for digital rights. I myself would like this, as I can often find games much cheaper at retail than I can on the Xbox One digital store but I'd prefer the digital copy myself as I really enjoy the discless system. It's got well over 20K support form users but MS has yet to do anything about it.

Avatar image for deactivated-57d8401f17c55
deactivated-57d8401f17c55

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 3

#16 deactivated-57d8401f17c55
Member since 2012 • 7221 Posts

@mems_1224 said:

@Blabadon: you're still not explaining the actual point of having an offline current gen console if you're constantly going to be connecting to the internet.

If you don't pay out the ass for online multiplayer and you don't buy broken games at launch?

Of course my Ps4 will be connected online, but at some point i'm going to move it somewhere else where I won't have internet for a while, and if I don't buy buggy shit games and if all my patches are installed, what do I need to be online for? Games are not patched on a daily basis until the end of time.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17 mems_1224

@Chozofication: having a console without multiplayer is absolutely worthless to me. It's one of the major reasons I even have one.

@Blabadon: Don't ever move my consoles around. Don't have a reason to and they're pretty worthless without internet.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 Krelian-co
Member since 2006 • 13274 Posts

@mems_1224 said:
@StrongDeadlift said:
@mems_1224 said:

takes a delusional lem to still try to defend the drm bulshit 2 years after.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 mems_1224

@Krelian-co: hope you don't play anything on pc since you hate drm so much.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 Krelian-co

@mems_1224 said:

i do actually, mind telling me what game forces me to connect once every day? because when i moved house last time i played for like a week with my steam offline.

mems_1224

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21  Edited By mems_1224

@Krelian-co said:
@mems_1224 said:

i do actually, mind telling me what game forces me to connect once every day? because when i moved house last time i played for like a week with my steam offline.

sounds boring. steam is still drm.

Krelian-co

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22 Krelian-co

@mems_1224 said:
@Krelian-co said:
@mems_1224 said:

sounds boring. steam is still drm.

except for the difference with one i could play all week offline and the other one i would've had to stare at my screen for a weak, but hey, it's still drm right? compelling argument ol chap.