How many years will it take to remake FF7?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

GodspellWH

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 0

User Lists: 5

#1  Edited By GodspellWH
Member since 2013 • 1078 Posts

My friends from around the world this a question people should ask. How long till they actually finish the game? It took them almost a decade to get the latest one out wait nvm it not even releasing this year. All this wait Square Enix has promised us.

MirkoS77

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 3

User Lists: 0

#2 MirkoS77
Member since 2011 • 17657 Posts

I'd bet this is hitting probably holiday 2017.

Wild_man_22

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#3 Wild_man_22
Member since 2010 • 907 Posts

FoxbatAlpha

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#4  Edited By FoxbatAlpha
Member since 2009 • 10669 Posts

Star date 2438

Epak_

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 1

#5 Epak_
Member since 2004 • 11911 Posts

I don't know man, the story is ready, the dialogue is ready, character design is probably pretty clear, fighting mechanics might get changed. Obviously they're going to remake the graphics and sound which is going to take a while depending how big the team is. I wish it doesn't take that much time to get made.

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#6 ConanTheStoner  Online
Member since 2011 • 23712 Posts

^

Pretty much what Epak is saying, the foundation is laid out. They're not having to realize all this stuff from scratch. Production will still be a bitch, but a lot of the concept and planning phase already has a hell of a head start.

I actually do believe that they can make it for 2017. Maybe slip into 2018, but no later than that.

Problem is, I have no fucks to give. Had they made this remake 10 years ago, I might have been hyped. Now it's just "eh, ok". I'll eventually pick it up on the cheap though.

Salt_The_Fries

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#7 Salt_The_Fries
Member since 2008 • 12480 Posts

@ConanTheStoner: Do you realize how atrocious the dialogues in English version of FFVII are?

DEadliNE-Zero0

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

User Lists: 5

#8 DEadliNE-Zero0
Member since 2014 • 6607 Posts

it's Square Enix and Tetsuya Nomura.

If the game doesn't show us something substancial this year and isn't released by 2017 for teh 20th anniversary, then it might aswell be the new 13 Versus and we can flip a coin on what it'll be and when it'll come out.

The_Last_Ride

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 122

User Lists: 2

#9 The_Last_Ride
Member since 2004 • 76371 Posts

@godspellwh: i think they said they started the development 2 years ago. So it might be late 2016 early 2017

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#10 ConanTheStoner  Online

@Salt_The_Fries:

Oh of course, and it'll need a lot of work... and even then the dialogue in the final product will still be terrible lol.

All I'm really getting that is that they're not starting from absolute scratch with this game so a 2017 release is possible.

StrongDeadlift

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#11  Edited By StrongDeadlift
Member since 2010 • 6073 Posts

Unironically, and without a drop of hyperbole, the next gen Xbox and possibly the next PS4 will see the light of day before this game does.

Final Fantasy XV is still a LONG ways from being completed, and that is Nomura's first priority.

After that, then Kingdom Hears 3, which just began development (and also just scrapped and restarted development from the ground up when they scrapped the Luminous engine and went with Unreal Engine 4 for the game). Kingdom Hears 3 wont even go into full production until FFXV is finished. That is the priority right now.

Now, think about that. FFXV wont be out before holiday 2016 at the earliest (keep in mind that that game itself was "in development" since 2003, and that "in development" doesnt mean much when they have a dozen other projects ahead of it in the pipeline). Think about how many years it will be before even Kingdom Hears 3, which just restarted development, will be ready. Holiday 2017 is being very generous to it.

Now, after all of that, THEN this FF7 remake will become the main priority. That should put a damper on Cows victory fapping over this.

Gue1

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 7

#12 Gue1
Member since 2004 • 12171 Posts

probably like 10 years since Nomura is working on like 40 projects at the same time.

tushar172787

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 12

#13 tushar172787
Member since 2015 • 2561 Posts

@StrongDeadlift said:

Unironically, and without a drop of hyperbole, the next gen Xbox and possibly the next PS4 will see the light of day before this game does.

Final Fantasy XV is still a LONG ways from being completed, and that is Nomura's first priority.

After that, then Kingdom Hears 3, which just began development (and also just scrapped and restarted development from the ground up when they scrapped the Luminous engine and went with Unreal Engine 4 for the game). Kingdom Hears 3 wont even go into full production until FFXV is finished. That is the priority right now.

Now, think about that. FFXV wont be out before holiday 2016 at the earliest (keep in mind that that game itself was "in development" since 2003, and that "in development" doesnt mean much when they have a dozen other projects ahead of it in the pipeline). Think about how many years it will be before even Kingdom Hears 3, which just restarted development, will be ready. Holiday 2017 is being very generous to it.

Now, after all of that, THEN this FF7 remake will become the main priority. That should put a damper on Cows victory fapping over this.

i think this will happen.

Heil68

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#14 Heil68
Member since 2004 • 60710 Posts

2017 is my guess.

madsnakehhh

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 4

#15  Edited By madsnakehhh
Member since 2007 • 18252 Posts

Q4 2016 or 2017 seems about right...not to mention i'm almost sure they will cut a lot of content, the original game is huge and remake everything with current graphics is going to be a titanic job, so i'm guessing we will get about 70% of the original content (which it is pretty big as well) and personally i wouldn't mind if they don't include some of the padding that the original had, hopefully they game will go straight to the point and cut some of the less important parts.

jsmoke03

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 10

#16 jsmoke03
Member since 2004 • 13717 Posts

prolly 2018 at theearliest . they have ffxv and kh 3 to finish

Flubbbs

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#17  Edited By Flubbbs
Member since 2010 • 4968 Posts

2017 is the 20th anniversary of FFVII so they are probably gonna try hard to get it out by then i would guess. maybe holiday 2017

Avatar image for deactivated-583e460ca986b
deactivated-583e460ca986b

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#18 deactivated-583e460ca986b
Member since 2004 • 7240 Posts

It's not coming out anytime soon. They will wait for the PS4 numbers in Japan to pick up. I have a feeling this will be a pricey remake so gamers better hold up their end of the deal. Because if the FF7 remake, Shenmue 3 and TLG flop it will be a long time before a Dev will hook us up again.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#19 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50550 Posts

They're going to mess up the battle system, so who gives a shit?

zeeshanhaider

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#20 zeeshanhaider
Member since 2004 • 5524 Posts

Who cares, JRPGs have no gameplay anyway.

HAZE-Unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#21 HAZE-Unit
Member since 2007 • 10564 Posts

For the guy who said FF15 is Nomura's priority, he left that project, no longer involved with FF15.

Plus FF7R rumored to be co-developed with Cyberconnect2, so you have the possibility of outsourcing which always speeds development, plus it's already in development for over 1 year if I am correct.

I think in terms of their biggest projects it will go something like this.

FF15 Q3/Q4 2016.

KH3 Q1/Q2 2017.

FF7R Q4 2017. Might slip to early 2018 farthest.

Avatar image for deactivated-58ce94803a170
deactivated-58ce94803a170

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#22  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170
Member since 2015 • 8822 Posts

Since they are gonna have to cut a bunch from the game and change a lot, i dont think they will waste much time on it, shoot, they can change it up, i dont think people will mind, they will buy it anyway. I predict it will take them 2 years to throw something together for fans. So 2017.

HAZE-Unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#23 HAZE-Unit

@Chutebox said:

They're going to mess up the battle system, so who gives a shit?

How? no info about the battle system yet.

HAZE-Unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#24 HAZE-Unit

@mesome713 said:

Since they are gonna have to cut a bunch from the game and change a lot, i dont think they will waste much time on it, shoot, they dont even have to try, people will buy it anyway. I predict it will take them 2 years to throw something together for fans.

Oh wow people already are being negative.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#25  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170

@HAZE-Unit said:
@mesome713 said:

Since they are gonna have to cut a bunch from the game and change a lot, i dont think they will waste much time on it, shoot, they dont even have to try, people will buy it anyway. I predict it will take them 2 years to throw something together for fans.

Mate, thats not negative, thats what we are hearing, they are telling us these things. The want to change the random battle system, they want to change the turn based combat stem, the PS4 cant handle the airships like the 15 dude id when people complained about lack of airships, and they have been talking about changing the story some. So basically, rumors have it it will be very different then what fans remember.

O nvm, my, they dont have to try, people will buy it was a little negative, forgive me for that. I changed it some to better represent what i was trying to say.

glez13

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#26 glez13
Member since 2006 • 10310 Posts

I would suppose they are aiming for the 20th anniversary so sometime 2017.

Chutebox

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#28 Chutebox
Member since 2007 • 50550 Posts

@HAZE-Unit: They said they can't have the characters jumping forward to hit an enemy with these graphics, so it has to change. Given their past games, I'm assuming they are going to mess it up

Avatar image for speedfreak48t5p
speedfreak48t5p

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 62

#29 speedfreak48t5p
Member since 2009 • 14416 Posts

About 7.

HAZE-Unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#30  Edited By HAZE-Unit

@mesome713 said:
@HAZE-Unit said:
@mesome713 said:

Mate, thats not negative, thats what we are hearing, they are telling us these things. The want to change the random battle system, they want to change the turn based combat stem, the PS4 cant handle the airships like the 15 dude id when people complained about lack of airships, and they have been talking about changing the story some. So basically, rumors have it it will be very different then what fans remember.

O nvm, my, they dont have to try, people will buy it was a little negative, forgive me for that. I changed it some to better represent what i was trying to say.

OK now I understand you better.

Look we have to agree on stuff, I am ok with additions to story, side stories or change to some story elements, this should happen and I'd like to see some story additions or changes, not drastic but like tweaks to making FF7R with better pacing and such, this kind of change should make everybody agrees on. Adding some Before Crisis and Crisis Core chapters would be a GOOD thing to do, removing some unnecessary stuff in the story that wouldn't effect the overall plot, on the contrary it would serve the pacing, I am alright with that as long as the overall canon is intact.

As far as battle system and life after Midgar will be the more complicated stuff that would make fans conflicted.

People should embrace the new changes, I am one of those fans who could see themselves to be ok with some changes in terms of battle system. The Nomura interview and the way he said it did NOT indicate that he will drastically change the battle system and make it something like KH3 or FF15, He just said with those PS4 quality character models with their life like animations it would look weird to make the characters static like their PS1 counterparts waiting for their turns and I agree with his point.

FF7R will have turn based system but it will be something modern, thats what I inferred from his point, characters will be moving constantly but maybe when for example, Barret's ATB gauge is full the game would stop, his turn starts and you choose your action then the action continues, maybe something like that.

lundy86_4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#31 lundy86_4
Member since 2003 • 61477 Posts

It'll release on the PS5 with TLG.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#32 Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11257 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:

^

Pretty much what Epak is saying, the foundation is laid out. They're not having to realize all this stuff from scratch. Production will still be a bitch, but a lot of the concept and planning phase already has a hell of a head start.

I actually do believe that they can make it for 2017. Maybe slip into 2018, but no later than that.

Problem is, I have no fucks to give. Had they made this remake 10 years ago, I might have been hyped. Now it's just "eh, ok". I'll eventually pick it up on the cheap though.

You're kidding right? 10 years ago would have been 2005 and released on PS2. Only 8 years and one generation (PS1 --> PS2) from the original PS One title in 1997. Why spend all that money on a remake that would only go from 4:3 288p to 4:3 480p?

I'm glad it not only skipped the 4:3 480p (no AA, only 30 fps) generation of the PS2 but also the 16:9 / 720p / 30 fps / 2 X AA generation of the PS3 in favour for PS4's generation, aka 1080p / 60fps / better AA / 16:9 etc and since it'll be roughly 20 years since the original launch the graphics/sound transformation will be two worlds apart, and not just a minor update (cough; TLOU on PS4)

HAZE-Unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#33 HAZE-Unit

@Chutebox said:

@HAZE-Unit: They said they can't have the characters jumping forward to hit an enemy with these graphics, so it has to change. Given their past games, I'm assuming they are going to mess it up

Like I've said in the other post, this does not mean they will completely remove the turn-based combat. We have to agree that the game would look ridiculous if the characters are in a static state waiting for their turns, jumping forward then going back to their static place with those HD upgraded models.

cainetao11

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 77

User Lists: 1

#34 cainetao11
Member since 2006 • 38032 Posts

I'll play even less of it than I did the original.

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#35  Edited By deactivated-58ce94803a170

@HAZE-Unit said:
@mesome713 said:
@HAZE-Unit said:
@mesome713 said:

Look we have to agree on stuff, I am ok with additions to story, side stories or change to some story elements, this should happen and I'd like to see some story additions or changes, not drastic but like tweaks to making FF7R with better pacing and such, this kind of change should make everybody agrees on. Adding some Before Crisis and Crisis Core chapters would be a GOOD thing to do, removing some unnecessary stuff in the story that wouldn't effect the overall plot, on the contrary it would serve the pacing, I am alright with that as long as the overall canon is intact.

As far as battle system and life after Midgar will be the more complicated stuff that would make fans conflicted.

People should embrace the new changes, I am one of those fans who could see themselves to be ok with some changes in terms of battle system. The Nomura interview and the way he said it did NOT indicate that he will drastically change the battle system and make it something like KH3 or FF15, He just said with those PS4 quality character models with their life like animations it would look weird to make the characters static like their PS1 counterparts waiting for their turns and I agree with his point.

FF7R will have turn based system but it will be something modern, thats what I inferred from his point, characters will be moving constantly but maybe when for example, Barret's ATB gauge is full the game would stop, his turn starts and you choose your action then the action continues, maybe something like that.

I know this might sound weird, but what they need to do is copy Xenoblade Chronicles. Xenoblade modernized itself better than any game i have ever seen. They at first built the game with turn based combat, but it killed immersion just like dude from FF has been trying to tell fans. They need to have the character auto attack, as soon as you select the enemy your character will automatically go into combat mode when you select engage, then while your character is in auto mode and swinging his weapon etc without you, you can select stuff with a menu.

Something like this, engage enemy>character auto attacks>select heals, items, specials, summons, etc thru a small menu while battling.

As for random battle, they have to drop it, people didnt like that stuff much back then. Of course it had to do with how frequent they would force you to battle in some spots. But it just wouldnt work nowadays. I dont even know of an rpg that still uses it. They will copy FF12 most likely.

The story stuff and all that i have no advice really, they should just do a bunch of cutscenes, like for real 30g worth or something. Then go with super high quality music like 10g worth, dont really add music, just redo all of it with an orchestra in super high quailty. This stuff cost money though, but they need to spend big money and go all out, if this shat dont look like Diamonds Sparkling from heaven then people will not get hyped, they will doubt it too much. They have to go all out in CGI. This game will be hard to do but they can do it if they dont worry about cost.

Cost is the big issue, companies are getting more greedy nowadays and not taking risk. They need to go all out and tell people everything, they need to advertise that they are dropping big money on CGI, advertise your dropping big money on actors, advertise your dropping big money on orchestra. I know what many will think, going big and bragging about will make it overambitious, but that is exactly what this games needs. This game need the hype, but not just hype, it needs proof that it can back it up.I feel when they start showing the dedication, fans will have choice but to buy it, they will say, how could i not, did you not see the bill on this beach, did you not see them actors, did you not see that CGI that rivals Metal gear.

Thats another thing, they need to copy Kojima nobody love to brag more and show off more, or spend more then this dude, matter of they need to hire his ass and force him to make it. He could actually pull if off.

HAZE-Unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#36 HAZE-Unit

@mesome713 said:
@HAZE-Unit said:
@mesome713 said:
@HAZE-Unit said:
@mesome713 said:

I know this might sound weird, but what they need to do is copy Xenoblade Chronicles. Xenoblade modernized itself better than any game i have ever seen. They at first built the game with turn based combat, but it killed immersion just like dude from FF has been trying to tell fans, they need to have the character auto attack, as soon as you select the enemy you character will automatically go into combat mode when you select engage, then while your character is in auto mode and swinging his weapon etc without you, you can select stuff with a menu.

Something like this, engage enemy>character auto attacks>select heals, items, specials, summons, etc thru a small menu while battling.

We don't know maybe something very similar to Xenoblade combat could actually be their combat system. Something similar to FFXIII combat mixed with the materia system ( aljosa pointed this system to me ) could also work.

The Materia system could work with every system, the combat system is the mechanic that will be challenging to modernize and make it perfect for a modern take on FF7.

Frank_Castle

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#37 Frank_Castle
Member since 2015 • 1982 Posts

If they get rid of the turn based combat then my interest will be zero

ConanTheStoner

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#38 ConanTheStoner  Online

@Mozelleple112:

Yes, correction, a little short of 9 years ago.

Though an ounce of critical thinking would have made it obvious that I was talking about the PS3. Back when they showed the FFVII tech demo I was ready for it. Now? Meh..

FFVII kind of sucks, but at least at that point nostalgia still had its way with me. Now I just don't care and I believe it's the same for many. Remember how the internet fucking exploded when that PS3 FFVII tech demo was shown? The hype was about 100 times greater than it is right now with actual confirmation lol.

Better late than never, but they really missed their window by a mile.

HAZE-Unit

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

#39 HAZE-Unit

@frank_castle said:

If they get rid of the turn based combat then my interest will be zero

Even if that happens, the materia system will stay intact which is the heart and soul of the combat. Also limit breaks, summons...etc all can easily be implemented in any combat system so you won't be missing turn-based combat that much if they remove it which I doubt.

Avatar image for ReadingRainbow4
ReadingRainbow4

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 2

#40  Edited By ReadingRainbow4
Member since 2012 • 18733 Posts

Most likely something like 2017, I'm interested in the engine they'll use. I bet it's going to be a modified version of the Luminous Engine from 15.

Wasdie

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 23

#41 Wasdie  Moderator
Member since 2003 • 53622 Posts

Got money on a 2025 launch on the PS5.

Mozelleple112

Forum Posts

Wiki Points

Followers

Reviews: 5

#42  Edited By Mozelleple112
Member since 2011 • 11257 Posts

@ConanTheStoner said:

@Mozelleple112:

Yes, correction, a little short of 9 years ago.

Though an ounce of critical thinking would have made it obvious that I was talking about the PS3. Back when they showed the FFVII tech demo I was ready for it. Now? Meh..

FFVII kind of sucks, but at least at that point nostalgia still had its way with me. Now I just don't care and I believe it's the same for many. Remember how the internet fucking exploded when that PS3 FFVII tech demo was shown? The hype was about 100 times greater than it is right now with actual confirmation lol.

Better late than never, but they really missed their window by a mile.

8 & 1/2 years would have been more precise ;)

As for the remake, I think releasing FFVII on anything earlier than PS4 would have been a mistake to be completely honest.

Just like I think it was completely idiotic to remake MGS1 (1998, PS1) to the Game Cube back in 2003.

But you know what would have been REALLY awesome? A full remake of MGS1 on the PS4 (Well and X1/PC for that matter) on the same Fox Engine as MGS5, in 1080p/60fps, fully remade graphics/sound effects on par with MGSV: TPP itself. Would buy/10. Same with virtually any PS1 classic; be it Resident Evil, Chrono Cross or Vagrant Story.

As for MGS2/MGS3, I wouldn't bother remaking them (properly) on 8 gen consoles, (too small of a technological gap IMO) I would wait for the 9th generation / PS5 era a.k.a. 4K / 60 fps to remake them and that applies to other PS2 titles like FFX or God of War 1-2, Shadow of the Colossus, Devil May Cry etc.

Just my two cents, not a fully thought-out analysis but if I were to dedicate an entire dev team and spend thousands of man hours, millions of dollars on remaking a game, I'd be damn sure that it is GENERATIONS ahead of the original, and not just marginally better.

PS3/X360 classics can be remade in 10th generation ( 8K / 120 fps standard?) - you get the logic by now I assume.