How many indies this gen will pull a "Journey" and win GOTY?

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by nervmeister (15325 posts) -

It seems that indies get a lot of flak here on the notion that a smaller dev team and budget produces an inherently inferior game. But last gen as we all know a little game called Journey surprised us all by beating it's "bigger brothers" for the honor of Game of The Year. Now in thid gen, with indies gaining an even larger focus from Sony and even Microsoft, could we see more games from "the little guy" pull an upset over heavily funded mainstream games?

#2 Posted by lostrib (42785 posts) -

I want to say 0, but probably 1

#3 Posted by stationplay_4 (444 posts) -

exactly three.

#4 Posted by XboxDone74 (2116 posts) -

With SDC and indie combination....it's possible a few will.

#5 Posted by Minishdriveby (10467 posts) -

I wouldn't necessarily classify Journey as an Indie title.

#6 Posted by Vatusus (5205 posts) -

I loved Journey but lets be honest here, it barely had any competition in its year... it was a poor year overall

#7 Posted by juarbles (801 posts) -

Sony is the only gaming force that can deliver indies that destroy retail games, that's why Sony games are reviewed with higher standards in mind. I think a Sony created or Sony inspired indie will beat retail games in the following years.

#8 Posted by crimsonman1245 (4253 posts) -

Journey is not indie, Sony funded the game, let them use their engine and even gave them some help from Sony Santa Monica.

#9 Posted by Blabadon (28478 posts) -

Consider me still surprised it won. It's great and I liked it a lot, but it's almost insulting to see more complex, feature-loaded, and expansive games not get it.

I'm not saying complexity means something is good, but the way games like Sleeping Dogs (let's pretend it's better than it is) have so many mechanics that work well it's strange that Journey, with some flaws I'm not a fan of, won. But it's cool and still mostly understandable.

Also, Godline Miami was a better game and indie. Virtue's Last Reward was the best game in my opinion though, so maybe that makes what I said about Journey moot.

#10 Edited by foxhound_fox (90820 posts) -

Star Citizen will likely win it, and it's an indie game.

@crimsonman1245 said:

Journey is not indie, Sony funded the game, let them use their engine and even gave them some help from Sony Santa Monica.

Also, this. Indie doesn't mean "low budget", it means "independently developed" without help from a publisher.

#11 Edited by tormentos (20210 posts) -

@Vatusus said:

I loved Journey but lets be honest here, it barely had any competition in its year... it was a poor year overall

It beat Halo 4 and several other games.

#12 Posted by Kaze_no_Mirai (11647 posts) -

If a game deserves it why not?

I couldn't stand Journey though. I had never forced myself so much to beat a game. I just don't understand all the praise.

#13 Posted by g0ddyX (3914 posts) -

A lot more than you think as Devs have access to next gen engines.. funded by other publishers... by fan support etc.
Indie game can be a big blockbuster charged up with high graphics or a low budget artistic masterpiece.

#14 Edited by OhSnapitz (18723 posts) -

..I thought Sony themselves funded Journey? How exactly is that "indie"..

#15 Posted by PsychoLemons (2391 posts) -

2012 was a terrible year of gaming.

#16 Posted by Vatusus (5205 posts) -

@tormentos said:

@Vatusus said:

It beat Halo 4 and several other games.

yeah, but Halo 4 was shit

#17 Posted by jg4xchamp (50442 posts) -

It would require another year like 2012 where the retail games that are hyped to the moon don't live up to the billing or get pushed a year.

That's not to say we won't get years where an indie game totally deserves it(personally my favorite game from last year was an indie game), but the general gaming media? that's going to be mostly triple A games, especially ones that come out during the hype train sessions that make up the early portion of a gaming generation.

#18 Posted by cainetao11 (19548 posts) -

I love this place. Journey won GOTY. Zelda wins this year, but TLOU is shouted and posted as the GOTY.

#19 Edited by nervmeister (15325 posts) -

@OhSnapitz: **smacks forehead**

Totally my bad.

#20 Posted by nini200 (10523 posts) -

Um only 1 can be GOTY so only 1

#21 Posted by Lulu_Lulu (18529 posts) -

It will always be 1, no more. It will most likely be a Playstation exclusive and cows will piss off everybody bragging about it.

#22 Posted by OhSnapitz (18723 posts) -

..of course they will. Because Arcade/Digital games "didn't count" (for 6 years) until a PSN game won something.

#23 Posted by treedoor (7648 posts) -

Gaming journalism is a joke for the most part, so it's really hard to tell.

What I do know is that critics and gamers alike treat indie/downloadable games unfairly whether it be in favor of them, or against them.

That, and there's a general lack of consistency when it comes to putting certain gameplay ideas/mechanics on a pedestal or not.

#24 Posted by xhawk27 (7536 posts) -

Most sites gave GOTY in 2012 to the Walking Dead.