How long will it take the PS4 and new Xbox to be hacked...

• 57 results

This topic is locked from further discussion.

#1 Posted by edwardecl (2125 posts) -

The PS3 took quite a while ~4 years (2010) to be hacked to play unsigned code and signed code from a copy... (USB Exploit)

The Xbox360 took a matter of weeks to play signed code from a copy and a few years to play unsigned code ~2 years (2007) (SATA DVD Exploit/Hardware Exploit)

The Wii was hacked in a few months (USB Exploit)

The WiiU looks like it's also hacked to a certain extent but is still ongoing.

So what are your thoughts on how long it will tack to hack the new PS4 and Xbox consoles, who will fight off the hacks for longer...

I personally like the hacks for PS3 as I can use my PS3 as a proper media player with showtime and play FLACs and MKVs over samba which unhacked it could not do properly especially when they removed Linux support, unless they offer proper unlimited free apps on the PS4 unrestircted I will hope for some more hacks in the future.

#2 Posted by 1080pOnly (1986 posts) -

Day fvcking one!! Thank you Sony.

#3 Posted by SaltyMeatballs (25150 posts) -
Was PS4 ever fully hacked? I remember that USB exploit, did they patch it? I don't care about hacks anyway.
#4 Posted by Sphensen (736 posts) -

with the next gen being based more on computer hardware, I give it a week before they're hacked

#5 Posted by clyde46 (45090 posts) -
Given the PC based hardware, not very long.
#6 Posted by edwardecl (2125 posts) -

Dunno I would need a time machine ^^...

But if you mean the PS3... as long as you have a firmware that was originally under 3.55 it is fully hacked, firmware over 3.55 through upgrade need a hardware downflasher as far as I know. Not sure what the progress on PS3's produced after 3.55.

Custom firmware was produced to play everything upto current firmware and play on PSN with a fake console ID.

#7 Posted by NEWMAHAY (3760 posts) -
Given the PC based hardware, not very long. clyde46
#8 Posted by edwardecl (2125 posts) -

But the thing is it's not just PC hardware, they mentioned it used a few custom chips and a subsystem for network access and probably other things.

#9 Posted by clyde46 (45090 posts) -

But the thing is it's not just PC hardware, they mentioned it used a few custom chips and a subsystem for network access and probably other things.

edwardecl
Custom chips mean squat. Look at how long the 360 took to be broken open.
#10 Posted by edwardecl (2125 posts) -

But the Xbox360 wasn't PC hardware either if I'm not mistaken it was a PowerPC processor from IBM much like the PS3 Cell chip which was also a powerpc varient.

#11 Posted by Gifye (166 posts) -
Hardware will always be hacked. there isn't really anything that can be done. You just have to try to discourage it and give people services that they will want and can't get if they hack.
#12 Posted by clyde46 (45090 posts) -

But the Xbox360 wasn't PC hardware either if I'm not mistaken it was a PowerPC processor from IBM much like the PS3 Cell chip which was also a powerpc varient.

edwardecl
And? Having a custom chip does not make the console immune from hacking.
#13 Posted by edwardecl (2125 posts) -

Although the PS3 was nearly not hacked at all, the only reason it was hacked as quick as it was is beecause they made a stupid mistake on in their encrpytion keys. Once someone figured that out it was gae over, but without a stupid mistake like that from Sony who know :/.

I guess they wont be repeating that one again, although isn't the Vita hacked now not been following that one.

#14 Posted by TheEroica (13322 posts) -

I'll say 12 hours.

#15 Posted by edwardecl (2125 posts) -

No but a custom chip certainly makes it harder as someone as to reverse engineer it, or find a mistake in the encryption.

#16 Posted by 205212669269561485377169522720 (14458 posts) -

As soon as possible but seeing as the systems will be more social and media focused with online being a big deal... I don't see the point seeing as multiplats will most likely end up on PC anyway.

#17 Posted by edwardecl (2125 posts) -

Good point, but still it would be funny for someone to fully hack it so you can install Windows or Linux on it and use it as a PC.

#18 Posted by clyde46 (45090 posts) -

Good point, but still it would be funny for someone to fully hack it so you can install Windows or Linux on it and use it as a PC.

edwardecl
You cant just wack an OS on there. It doesn't work like that.
#19 Posted by HaRmLeSS_RaGe (1270 posts) -

Depends on the skills of the team of hackers and how dedicated they are.

#20 Posted by edwardecl (2125 posts) -

Err why not?

X86... Radeon... if it can run unisgned code why not boot Windows on it. Driver support might be an issue but I'm sure people would hack something together from whats available, hell you might even be able to use a Radeon driver out of the box if it's not too different from desktop models.

#21 Posted by MstaPrimeMnista (1073 posts) -
Does anyone know if we can upgrade the RAM and graphics card in PS4?
#22 Posted by FinalFighters (1398 posts) -
Does anyone know if we can upgrade the RAM and graphics card in PS4?MstaPrimeMnista
..is this a serious question?
#23 Posted by milannoir (1553 posts) -

Day fvcking one!! Thank you Sony.

1080pOnly

:lol: well played

The fact that the PS4 is basically an average PC this time around, will probably make it much easier to hack.

#24 Posted by MstaPrimeMnista (1073 posts) -
[QUOTE="MstaPrimeMnista"]Does anyone know if we can upgrade the RAM and graphics card in PS4?FinalFighters
..is this a serious question?

Yes, because if they let us, even if they sell some sort of proprietery graphics and ram, PC will become obsolete for gaming, and sony wont have to keep losing money on hardware and focus soley on the games.
#25 Posted by hoosier7 (3780 posts) -
[QUOTE="SaltyMeatballs"]Was PS4 ever fully hacked? I remember that USB exploit, did they patch it? I don't care about hacks anyway.

I'm assuming you meant PS3 but I believe you couldn't put online at any point and couldn't update the firmware.
#26 Posted by ShadowDeathX (10578 posts) -

It's a console, no upgrades for you. Just wait for the PS5 if you want upgrade.

Anyways, I don't expect it will be hard. PC hardware and such. Might even see some "emulation" after the first year.

#27 Posted by Sphensen (736 posts) -

It's a console, no upgrades for you. Just wait for the PS5 if you want upgrade.

Anyways, I don't expect it will be hard. PC hardware and such. Might even see some "emulation" after the first year.

ShadowDeathX

the Demos Sony showed at the presentation were emulations of the PS4

#28 Posted by HaloPimp978 (7263 posts) -

It will be happen soon some people don't have a life outside of hacking.

#29 Posted by GeForce- (308 posts) -
#30 Posted by mariokart64fan (19379 posts) -

I KNOW A CONSOLE THAT WASNT HACKED--  super nintendo  haha jokes aside i give it a month,   maybe a few weeks  -due to pc like infrastructure  

#31 Posted by Elite-Realist (556 posts) -
Hahaha everyone makes hacking sounds easy. I am sure console developers are also thinking about these. The background internet connect will also be doing some security checks I am so sure of these unless they are ****. Anyway only time will tell but I can put money down that the next xbox will be hacked first.
#32 Edited by MrForeveriphone (6 posts) -

@edwardecl: hey there!

i just wanted to clear some fact for you young man (or sir if you fell much offended) about that giant heavy paperweight called:the PS and hopefully you get the idea without raging about it :p

the ps3 didn't took 4 years to be hacked...in fact no one thought about hacking it for those 1st years of the ps3 launch....why? the 600$ price tag which earned the nickname of:the rich man's console.

back in 2007...some guy called george hotz(aka geohot) decided that his friend's ps3 is not preforming well so he wanted to "overclock" it.

after spending a few months of research he found-out that sony was using a hidden feature called "install pakage files" (sice you mentioned showtime i think you're fimiliar with it...if you're using an official 3.55 there is a combination of buttons in the network tab) to fix softwarely damaged ps3s (such as RLOD) but it does not install anything without a license so that led to 2 things:bypassing the license check and permanently putting that feature in the games tab...and yes he eventually did it!

but he didn't release his work till 2009 (the 3.55 and lower versions) on his website which led to a chaotic scene of hacking and exploiting more in the ps3

and ye...he got sued (and won) by sony and let to the 3.60 that removed the install other OS option (if you read carefully the update log:"Major bug fixes"...i laughed)

and the scene "frozed"...some accidentally updated to 3.60+ (and some downgraded but not all) and some stayed on his ver (and other jailbreaks).

BUT in 2011...another chaos has hit the scene with "thethereemuskteers" LV0 key leak that can decrypt any (i mean ANY) ps3 .PUP file and they called it: the last bullet in the chamber

that pushed sony to release the ps3 after a major percentage loss in games sales(and you know the birth of homebrews)

so unlike the Xbox or Wii that had a reachable price tag...the ps3 got way too many potentials and sony keeps restricting it!

now...about the ps4...i think since the PC based motherboard is there...i guess 2-3 weeks (maybe months) to see "multiman" on it :p

so maybe you know all of this maybe few...and if i'm incorrect about something...i'm not a 9yrs old COD fan ;)

sorry for the long reply...i know ;)

#33 Posted by Heil68 (43490 posts) -

My card is on there. Bring it. :D

#34 Posted by AMD655 (4495 posts) -

Holy necromancy batman.

#35 Posted by Netret0120 (2038 posts) -

The consoles are made from PC hardware so a few months.

I would buy 2 PS4's if that was the case. One for my hacked pleasures and one for online

#36 Posted by -Unreal- (24537 posts) -

Depends how dedicated ultra nerds like geohot are. I think it only took him less than a couple of months to get the PS3's system wide open.

#37 Posted by X_CAPCOM_X (6067 posts) -

10 days

don't quote me

#38 Posted by KungfuKitten (20865 posts) -

Couple hours, if people care enough.

#39 Posted by SuperCowElitist (730 posts) -

Xbone already got hacked. Playstation 4 will take 8 years.

#40 Posted by Gue1 (9513 posts) -

like 6 months.

#41 Posted by jsmoke03 (12766 posts) -

@Sphensen said:

with the next gen being based more on computer hardware, I give it a week before they're hacked

this. i just hope no more account comprimises.

#42 Posted by gnt21121 (2 posts) -

the super Nintendo was hacked with a device you put in its slot and had cd rom drive and the games come on cd,s

#43 Posted by Caseytappy (2131 posts) -
#44 Posted by k2theswiss (16599 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

^^^^

#45 Posted by clyde46 (45090 posts) -

@supercowelitist said:

Wrong .

They managed to strip data from a Xbone blu-ray but the PS4 is already hacked :

http://pastebin.com/QDeRQiMY

False, you should know that Twitter has a 140 character limit. Plus, if you actually read it, it obvious is full of bullshit.

#46 Edited by ronvalencia (15109 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

@Caseytappy said:

@supercowelitist said:

Wrong .

False, you should know that Twitter has a 140 character limit. Plus, if you actually read it, it obvious is full of bullshit.

Let's see that ARM TPM/TrustZone IP is worth the price...

#47 Posted by Caseytappy (2131 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

@Caseytappy said:

@supercowelitist said:

Wrong .

I know, that's why it fits in here perfectly .

#48 Posted by tormentos (17151 posts) -

@edwardecl: hey there!

i just wanted to clear some fact for you young man (or sir if you fell much offended) about that giant heavy paperweight called:the PS and hopefully you get the idea without raging about it :p

the ps3 didn't took 4 years to be hacked...in fact no one thought about hacking it for those 1st years of the ps3 launch....why? the 600$ price tag which earned the nickname of:the rich man's console.

back in 2007...some guy called george hotz(aka geohot) decided that his friend's ps3 is not preforming well so he wanted to "overclock" it.

after spending a few months of research he found-out that sony was using a hidden feature called "install pakage files" (sice you mentioned showtime i think you're fimiliar with it...if you're using an official 3.55 there is a combination of buttons in the network tab) to fix softwarely damaged ps3s (such as RLOD) but it does not install anything without a license so that led to 2 things:bypassing the license check and permanently putting that feature in the games tab...and yes he eventually did it!

but he didn't release his work till 2009 (the 3.55 and lower versions) on his website which led to a chaotic scene of hacking and exploiting more in the ps3

and ye...he got sued (and won) by sony and let to the 3.60 that removed the install other OS option (if you read carefully the update log:"Major bug fixes"...i laughed)

and the scene "frozed"...some accidentally updated to 3.60+ (and some downgraded but not all) and some stayed on his ver (and other jailbreaks).

BUT in 2011...another chaos has hit the scene with "thethereemuskteers" LV0 key leak that can decrypt any (i mean ANY) ps3 .PUP file and they called it: the last bullet in the chamber

that pushed sony to release the ps3 after a major percentage loss in games sales(and you know the birth of homebrews)

so unlike the Xbox or Wii that had a reachable price tag...the ps3 got way too many potentials and sony keeps restricting it!

now...about the ps4...i think since the PC based motherboard is there...i guess 2-3 weeks (maybe months) to see "multiman" on it :p

so maybe you know all of this maybe few...and if i'm incorrect about something...i'm not a 9yrs old COD fan ;)

sorry for the long reply...i know ;)

First it wasn't 2007 it was 2009 and yes on 2010 he did it.

Towards the end of 2009, Hotz announced his efforts to hack the Sony PlayStation 3, a console widely regarded as being the only fully locked and secure system of the seventh generation era. Hotz opened a blog to document his progress, and five weeks later, on January 22, 2010, he announced that he had successfully hacked the machine by enabling himself read and write access to the machine's system memory and having hypervisor level access to the machine's processor.

Yeah it was 2010 this is common knowledge.

PayPal has granted Sony access to Geohot's PayPal account,[24] and the judge of the case granted Sony permission to view the IP addresses of everyone who visited geohot.com. In April 2011, it was revealed that Sony and Hotz had settled the lawsuit out of court, on the condition that Hotz would never again resume any hacking work on Sony products.

And he did not won,he settle with sony to never hacking a sony product again,sony had grounds to trow him in jail that may be legal outside US but on US it was not.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/George_Hotz

#49 Edited by R4gn4r0k (16299 posts) -

@clyde46 said:

Perhaps, it comes down to software like the OS too.

#50 Posted by Netret0120 (2038 posts) -

Xbox One has already been hacked