How long before Wii U is discontinued?

• 112 results
#1 Posted by PS4hasNOgames (1393 posts) -

At this point during the same time frame, the Dreamcast sold twice as much as the Wii U. Even the most die hard nintendo fanboys admit that the Wii U is an utter failure. I honestly think it does more harm than good to keep the Wii U going. People who actually bought one WILL buy a new nintendo console no matter what, so how long until Nintendo realizes that by keeping the Wii U around they fall deeper into obscurity.

Announce a successor already, have whatever remaining wii u games come out for the new console, and cut your losses.

#2 Posted by PonchoTaco (1976 posts) -

It's been a few days since I've seen a thread like this.

Thank you, TC. We need these more often.

#3 Edited by B4X (3643 posts) -
#4 Posted by Demonjoe93 (9526 posts) -

Oh, hey, it's this kind of thread again.

#5 Edited by aroxx_ab (9280 posts) -

They cant just announce a successor this early, it would not make people opinion of Nintendo any better. Why buy a new console from Nintendo if you know they take it out of market after 2-3years?

#6 Posted by Maddie_Larkin (6389 posts) -

Maybe it is better for Nintendo to just hold on to the Wii U untill they have a clear vision for the NeXT console, instead of rushing out something that may fail harder.

Not to mention simply Building a new more powerful console will solve absolutely nothing. The main problem that most peopel have with nintendo is the poor 3rd party support they have, that will not get better by simply releasing a new console, but rather reworking the infrastructure and relations at Ninty.

Also Nintendo is fighting against the "one size fits all" I can almost garantee that if Nintendo made a powerful console that was exactly like the PS4 and X1 (aka pc copies). They would not sell alot of consoles to begin with and just incite another loss.

Basicly I would rather they took thier sweet time and make something astonashing rather then hurry out with some mediocre product that plays catchup to what I consider the lowest common denominator.

#7 Posted by speedfreak48t5p (6967 posts) -

3 weeks.

#8 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (6990 posts) -

June 10, probably. Most of the big discontinuations happen at E3.

#9 Edited by PrincessGomez92 (3483 posts) -

Lol PS4hasnogames thread.

#10 Posted by foxhound_fox (87725 posts) -

Unable to say, considering the recent resurgence of sales based around the release of Mario Kart 8 (as I predicted). Nintendo would be unwise to discontinue the product at this juncture. The investment they made has not made it's true return yet, and they still have plenty of software they can release for it.

#11 Posted by Slimmin360 (1463 posts) -

@ps4hasnogames:

LOL Wii U should be discontinued? it has more in the way of games to offer right now than X-1 and PS4.

#12 Posted by locopatho (20177 posts) -

@ps4hasnogames:

LOL Wii U should be discontinued? it has more in the way of games to offer right now than X-1 and PS4.

Nope. More exclusives yes, more games no.

#13 Posted by YearoftheSnake5 (7213 posts) -

Boy, oh boy, this topic is exploding with originality.

#14 Posted by Truth_Hurts_U (9136 posts) -

1 or 2 years... That's my guess.

#15 Edited by NFJSupreme (5154 posts) -

2015 is the announcement. 2016 is the launch.

#16 Posted by Flubbbs (2974 posts) -

hopefully not for a while.. seeing as i just bought one last friday

#17 Edited by farrell2k (5809 posts) -

I'd say 5 years.

#18 Edited by KBFloYd (13190 posts) -

same reason sony hasnt discontinued the vita....or the ps4 in japan.

they think they will start selling soon.

#19 Posted by delta3074 (17906 posts) -

Lets wait and see, First party games are picking up steam on the wii-U , all it really needs now is a really good dedicated Zelda game and a few other titles like maybe Metroid, although sales so far have been abysmal i don't think we are at the point where we can completely discount the Wii-U yet but it is getting close unless they pull out all the stops.

#20 Edited by delta3074 (17906 posts) -

At this point during the same time frame, the Dreamcast sold twice as much as the Wii U. Even the most die hard nintendo fanboys admit that the Wii U is an utter failure. I honestly think it does more harm than good to keep the Wii U going. People who actually bought one WILL buy a new nintendo console no matter what, so how long until Nintendo realizes that by keeping the Wii U around they fall deeper into obscurity.

Announce a successor already, have whatever remaining wii u games come out for the new console, and cut your losses.

your username is extremely misleading, you should really change it, the PS4 is not the PS3 dude.

#21 Edited by sHaDyCuBe321 (4076 posts) -

New Topic: Which Nintendo IP would you most like to see resurrected?

I'd say F-Zero. I think there could be a major graphical overhaul and the sense of speed would translate well into HD.

What say you System Wars?

#22 Posted by nintendoboy16 (26277 posts) -

Do people actually LIKE the idea of Nintendo losing more consumer confidence?

#23 Edited by KBFloYd (13190 posts) -

my guess is tc wants nintendo to die...

same with xbox judging by his avatar.

#24 Edited by pelvist (4634 posts) -

How long before the XBone is?

#25 Edited by nintendoboy16 (26277 posts) -

@KBFloYd said:

@nintendoboy16 said:

my guess is tc wants nintendo to die...

same with xbox judging by his avatar.

It's not just him (although there are no other posts like it on this thread).

#26 Posted by Heil68 (43484 posts) -

2-3 years.

#27 Posted by pyro1245 (565 posts) -

no need for a new console. Just more good games with a traditional control scheme, Making a new console would just piss people off who have a wii u. That's a stupid idea.

#28 Edited by Bread_or_Decide (17347 posts) -

#29 Posted by PurpleMan5000 (6990 posts) -

@Slimmin360 said:

@ps4hasnogames:

It probably won't still be the case by the end of the year, but right now the Wii U does have more games than the PS4 or Xbone.

#30 Posted by PS4hasNOgames (1393 posts) -
#31 Posted by PhazonBlazer (11615 posts) -

Probably within the year, not even Mario Kart could save it.

#32 Edited by AK_the_Twilight (285 posts) -

#33 Edited by Maroxad (8090 posts) -

Considering the fact that there are upcoming games for it that are still TBA, I doubt it will be discontinued anytime soon.

@Slimmin360 said:

@ps4hasnogames:

Actually, the Wii U has both more exclusives and games atm that scored 75 or above on Metacritic (can't be bothered to check on GS atm).

Not to mention, lolconsolemultiplats.

#34 Posted by charizard1605 (56070 posts) -

As a matter of fact, based on the sheer technicality of the Wii U having launched a year before PS4 and Xbox One, the Wii U does have more games (and more exclusives as well) than the PS4 and Xbox One.

#35 Posted by StrongBlackVine (8418 posts) -

@Maroxad said:

Considering the fact that there are upcoming games for it that are still TBA, I doubt it will be discontinued anytime soon.

@locopatho said:

@Slimmin360 said:

@ps4hasnogames:

Actually, the Wii U has both more exclusives and games atm that scored 75 or above on Metacritic (can't be bothered to check on GS atm).

Console multiplats drive this industry. Your comment was stupid so I understand why you put lol in front of it...but it was still stupid.

#36 Posted by Slimmin360 (1463 posts) -

@Slimmin360 said:

@ps4hasnogames:

Better games YES, Nintendo's exclusives cannot be touched right now by anything on X-1 or PS4.

#37 Posted by bbkkristian (14945 posts) -

Anyone else enjoying Mario Kart 8?

#38 Posted by Sphensen (735 posts) -

Mario Kart YEAH !!!

#39 Posted by santoron (7692 posts) -

Not until the Wii3 launches.

Do you see a new Nintendo around?

Have you heard of one yet?

Then don't worry about it.

#40 Edited by gregbmil (2607 posts) -

I'm actually thinking about getting one now.

#41 Posted by cainetao11 (16900 posts) -

I just got the go ahead for right after E3 from Nintendo to personally go around and unplug all the WiiU's. Happy?

#42 Posted by trugs26 (5296 posts) -

You're referring to Sega's Dreamcast. Now let's look at Sega's history of console launches (Japan) leading up to their final console:

And in terms of difference between consoles: 2, 3, 3, 3, 0 2

Notice something? For a start, they released a lot of consoles in a short time frame, and then totally spammed it with 32X, Saturn and Dreamcast at the end. Releasing consoles willy nilly doesn't fix your problems. Sometimes you need to bite the bullet and ride the console out for the sake of consumer trust.

The Wii U willl have a minimum of 4 years. I'm guessing, given that 2014 Christmas sales are still lackluster, this will be the case. So 2016, possible 2017, is my guess.

#43 Posted by AmazonAngry (945 posts) -

Wasn't there a leak stating they would announce at e3 new hardware and discontinue the WiiU?

#44 Posted by charizard1605 (56070 posts) -

Wasn't there a leak stating they would announce at e3 new hardware and discontinue the WiiU?

lol. You wish.

#45 Posted by TrappedInABox91 (529 posts) -

How long before the X1 and PS4 will be discontinued? Stupid question right?

Same goes for this thread. It has years, just because Nintendo aren't complete morons. They know what happens when companies betray their audience. coughSegacough.

#46 Posted by PS4hasNOgames (1393 posts) -

@locopatho said:

As a matter of fact, based on the sheer technicality of the Wii U having launched a year before PS4 and Xbox One, the Wii U does have more games (and more exclusives as well) than the PS4 and Xbox One.

The best thing about the Wii U is the console itself looks nice and its b/c. But nobody buys it.

#47 Posted by charizard1605 (56070 posts) -

@charizard1605 said:

@locopatho said:

The best thing about the Wii U is the console itself looks nice and its b/c. But nobody buys it.

Nobody buys a Vita, the system is still great.

Sales=/=how good a system is.

#48 Posted by drummerdave9099 (652 posts) -

I'm guessing it will be revealed in 2016 and launch in 2017. Accoring to a thread on here a few weeks ago WiiU's are no longer being sold at losses, so Nintendo should keep releasing 1st party games and bundle them with consoles and try to make some money back before moving on. And launch the next console with Mario Kart or Zelda to attract more buyers this time around too.

#49 Posted by UnbiasedPoster (744 posts) -

Unable to say, considering the recent resurgence of sales based around the release of Mario Kart 8 (as I predicted).

Wow, you predicted a franchise with 100 million sales would push some hardware units? You should sign up for Gaf and become an insider.

#50 Posted by AK_the_Twilight (285 posts) -

@Maroxad said:

@locopatho said:

@Slimmin360 said:

@ps4hasnogames:

Console multiplats drive this industry. Your comment was stupid so I understand why you put lol in front of it...but it was still stupid.

Hey, guess what? The industry is approaching a crash because of the sky-high budgets of multi-plats.

After the game they spent dozens of hours per week working on breaks a million copies sold in a week, developers are still likely to be laid off. We lost so many great studios because of that. The lack of job security is scaring away new talent from entering the game development field over another technical field like basic computer programming or software management. The huge AAA budgets killed off B games, and with no new talent, we're getting multi-platform games every year with little to no change or innovation. Call of Duty, Assassin's Creed and Battlefield prove it.

Indies are the ones who are thriving. They have less to lose, so they can afford to experiment and make cool new ideas. That's why Nintendo and Sony are accommodating them: the indies are gaining popularity and exposure while the AAA games are killing themselves off.

So, no, multiplats do not drive this industry. They're killing it.